Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Lantus wrote: »
    Myself and the wife booked this along with friends. We weren't expecting that much, it was really a night out and excursion for fun. Prior to the make over I would of avoided the D for food except a coffee. But wow were we blown away. The first starter, soup, was not meant to be a favourite of anyone. All you heard was ooh and ahhs and mmms all the way through. The terrine was really nice after that. The killer dish was the main though. When it said beef I would of been happy with a few slices and some gravy but what came out was a piece of fillet beef like a small football that a blunt head could of sliced through with ease. It was beyond superb. The trimmings were exquisite as well. We were so stuffed we had to delay desert by quite some margin while the Sinatra songs being played by Michael Bubbles dad carried on. Desert was also divine and wonderfully presented.

The entire staff were nothing short of amazing and could not do more to make sure your stay and experience was really good.

We were so well fed we could only wobble into Cairns and sip some water before heading to bed at 12:30! All in all a great night and I would seriously consider going again.
    Can I ask what part of the D Hotel this was in. Was it in De Lacy's or was it held in a function room. I'm trying to book somewhere for a Communion and I see De Lacy's are doing a Communion menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

lamoss wrote: »
    Has La dolce vita in Bryanstown closed up ?
    That location is jinxed

Does anyone know anything about the Millmount Restaurant, which my OH tells me is now run by Justin of the Salthouse restaurant? I've always liked his food and quirky humour in the existing (and, indeed, his last) place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

We were in the Tower/Millmount restaurent on Saturday evening last, booked in at 5.30 so had the option of afternoon menu or a la cart, afternoon was 23€ for three courses.
    Being awkward we had a starter from the afternoon menu , mains from the ala cart !
    Four of us dining we had wings which were really good, one had soup and one with Caesar salad both excellent.
    Mains were 2 x rib eye cooked to perfection with twice fried chips, roasted onion/vine tomato on side and I had garlic prawn as an extra side @€;4 extra...highly recommend . Our friends had salmon and chicken ala king bothe excellent . Staff were very nice and accommodating , house white about 23€.
    The only issue was that the bill was not itemised so while we had figures adding up to 142€ total for 4 we couldn't corelate the items.
    Overall 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

I see Chanco on the Haymarket is now called Regent Inn. Anyone know if it is just a case of a name change or is it new management/menu/food?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Pipmae wrote: »
    Can I ask what part of the D Hotel this was in. Was it in De Lacy's or was it held in a function room. I'm trying to book somewhere for a Communion and I see De Lacy's are doing a Communion menu.

It was in De Lacy's. Give them a call and go on down if you haven't already. Best way to suss out any venue. Talk to the staff and get a feel for the place to see if its for you.

Menu looks nice! I didn't realise that the beef and fish is all local. Tullyard farm and clogherhead. Always a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Not quite Drogheda, but there's a new gastropub open in Julianstown.
    'The Lime Kiln'
    Looking forward to trying it.
    Also, I heard the chef from Indus is opening a new restaurant where La Dolce Vita (& Indus) used to be.

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    Also, I heard the chef from Indus is opening a new restaurant where La Dolce Vita (& Indus) used to be.

I hope he doesn't use those pre-cooked chicken pieces Indus appeared to be using before they went out of business.

Mylow wrote: »
    I hope he doesn't use those pre-cooked chicken pieces Indus appeared to be using before they went out of business.
    Or charge the mad prices.

'The Lime Kiln'
    Rumour has it that the head chef is formerly Eastern Seaboard B&G.

• Advertisement

Pipmae wrote: »
    Rumour has it that the head chef is formerly Eastern Seaboard B&G.
    B&G?

Mylow wrote: »
    B&G?

Bar & Grill - as in Eastern Seaboard Bar & Grill.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

Would anyone know where you could get a midweek turkey and ham dinner in Drogheda? Trying to plan a visit (Tuesday to Friday) and would like to have a foreign guest try it.

I have checked most places that have their menu online (DeLacy's / Tower Milmount / The Westcourt (Westcourt 29) / The Salthouse / The Fishermans (they do it at the weekend but not during the week it seems) /The Glenside / The Black Bull (they have glazed chicken and ham - which would do but it's not the same)

Places like Hanratty's Pub The Pheasant don't have it online - and I could call but just thought someone here might be in the know. Thanks for your help in advance :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭gipi

A bit out of town, but you could try Donegan's in Monasterboice. It's listed on their online sample lunch menu (might be worth giving a call to make sure though).

http://92.51.242.252/~monaster/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Lunch-Menu2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

'The Lime Kiln'

Had lunch in the Lime Kiln yesterday.
    It's a fairly decent menu, lots of things on it I'd like to try, lots of fish starters that caught my eye, seafood chowder, mussels and crab linguine are on the list of things I wanted but couldn't have. (Pregnant so have to avoid shellfish for now!) I ended up having sirloin steak which was served with chips, battered onion rings, and pepper sauce for a very reasonable €17.95. Very tasty and tender. Somebody beside us ordered a pizza (I think it was the duck and rocket one) and it looked gorgeous, definitely on my try list.

They were out of some of their options, there's a lamb & coriander flatbread starter that was sold out and they were out of pulled pork too. Although I suppose it's only their first week of opening and it would be hard enough to judge what will be a best seller or not.

One thing that was slightly annoying but not the end of the world was that we wanted to watch the rugby match but the only TVs were in the pub side where you can't eat. We were too hungry to wait so we sat up at the bar and watched the telly though the gap between the bar in the restaurant and the pub part. But made it into the pub for the second half where the barman immediately brought us in some chairs so we could watch in comfort.

Decor is nice, fresh and clean and there's big family booths to sit 6 ish people or smaller tables if you preferred. Staff were all lovely, from bar staff to waiting staff to the management, no complaints at all. Will definitely be back, sooner rather than later!

lamoss wrote: »
    Has La dolce vita in Bryanstown closed up ?
    I went past it last saturday to pick up a Chinese from peony and noticed the lights all off and the outside lit-up menu board was blank but lit up and their was empty cardboard boxes in the entrance hall. I thought that they was doing a bit of a revamp or redecoration.

Went past this morning and it was exactly the same as last week. so I presume they have gone.

Shame they did some nice food , but were a tad expensive :(

There's a new sign over the door of this place - it's now Tamarind, an Indian restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

gipi wrote:
    There's a new sign over the door of this place - it's now Tamarind, an Indian restaurant.

Oh I like the sound of that name, sounds South Indian. I will try and find out more and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

The Wild Olive
    gonker wrote: »
    My daughter was there last night. Said it was nice but service was slow and she said it wasn't nice enough to go back.:(

I've been twice, once before Christmas where I wasn't impressed - had half pizza and half pizza and found both disappointing.
    The pizza was supposed to have both chilli and garlic on it but there was neither - the pasta was just very 'meh', could have made it nicer at home.
    The service was appalling, very slow and just didn't seem to care we were there (even though we were a large table)

I wouldn't have gone back only I was given a voucher so went a couple of weeks ago, 4 of us in total.
    2 of us ordered the T Bone Steak, was told they had sold out (at 8pm on a Saturday night, only a few other tables in?)
    They bought us a fillet instead - have to say, it was one of the best steaks I've ever eaten and the OH who is mega fussy said the same.

The let down this time was the service again - had to ask for a spoon for the soup twice, then for new cutlery after our starters (all sitting there with mains in front of us, nothing to eat with) again had to ask twice.

Drinks took an age to receive, as did the bill.
    Even though the steaks were excellent I won't bother going back as I find bad service very frustrating; the place wasn't even busy so there was no excuse for it.

I'll stick with The Eastern Seaboard in future! I can never fault that place.

gipi wrote: »

Now open, will try and get a take away over the weekend.

CPL 593H

Got a take away from Tamarind last night.

Chicken Tikka Masala & Pilau for mrs ox
    Lamb Madras & Pilau for me
    Popadoms and Garlin Naan

In a nutshell, not great.
    The naan bread was damp and stodgy, threw most of it into the back garden for the birds.
    The popadoms were poor value, 2 popadoms (2 portions) cost €4.50.
    The madras, had the heat you would expect but not much else, no depth of flavour.
    Mrs ox said the sauce in the masala was like a tin of Campbells tomato soup.
    The sauces were thin and runny compared to the Punjabi Hse with no real body or texture to them.
    It's a pity, I was looking forward to eating there but we'll definitely be sticking with the PH for our Indian take-outs.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Got a take away from Tamarind last night.

Chicken Tikka Masala & Pilau for mrs ox
    Lamb Madras & Pilau for me
    Popadoms and Garlin Naan

In a nutshell, not great.
    The naan bread was damp and stodgy, threw most of it into the back garden for the birds.
    The popadoms were poor value, 2 popadoms (2 portions) cost €4.50.
    The madras, had the heat you would expect but not much else, no depth of flavour.
    Mrs ox said the sauce in the masala was like a tin of Campbells tomato soup.
    The sauces were thin and runny compared to the Punjabi Hse with no real body or texture to them.
    It's a pity, I was looking forward to eating there but we'll definitely be sticking with the PH for our Indian take-outs.

You can't beat the Punjabi for a great take away! Absolutely beautiful food - I was told that the place is disgustingly dirty, but I choose to pretend I never heard that as the food is so good :P

You can't beat the Punjabi for a great take away! Absolutely beautiful food - I was told that the place is disgustingly dirty, but I choose to pretend I never heard that as the food is so good :P
    I stopped going to Punjabi once I tried Moti Mahal in Balbriggan. Forgive me I'm between three counties - Dublin, Meath and Louth.:D Moti Mahal is FAB and consistently good which is very important.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

I see fuschia house is under new management in Ardee called Indigo now

Had lunch in the Lime Kiln at the weekend.

Loved the look of the place, a lot brighter than its previous incarnation.

Had the Beef and Guinness casserole (special of the day), served with champ.
    Very decent portion of beef pieces and veg, and real potato mash on top that didn't look or taste like it had been under a heated light for an hour. It was delicious!

If the rest of the menu tastes like the special, the place is going to be a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

LovexxLife wrote: »
    I see fuschia house is under new management in Ardee called Indigo now

Ah nuts. Their lamb rogan josh was the best I ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭connected1

Have any of you tried Casanova's down on the quay opposite Scotch Hall? I bought a voucher on Dealrush and am going to eat there one way or t'other but it's always good to hear an opinion before you go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

zac8 wrote: »

Fuschia were closed under a health and safety order last year. I'd say it was hard to come back from that.

http://www.thejournal.ie/fsai-closures-august-1663708-Sep2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

They still are serving Indian food alongside normal grub. I prefer the Indian take away in Ardee called Taj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Most of the 'favourite' dishes remain, so it may still be on there.

Fuschia were closed under a health and safety order last year. I'd say it was hard to come back from that.

http://www.thejournal.ie/fsai-closures-august-1663708-Sep2014/

To be fair, I don't think that had much to do with the decision to change ownership. Although it certainly wouldn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

connected1 wrote: »
    Have any of you tried Casanova's down on the quay opposite Scotch Hall? I bought a voucher on Dealrush and am going to eat there one way or t'other but it's always good to hear an opinion before you go

This might seem like a very petty complaint but I saw them advertise their Valentines menu with a free bottle of 'champaign', and it put me right off!:eek::pac:

Advertisement