Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Pipmae

furiousox wrote: »
    New pub/restaurant under construction in Southgate SC.
    Due to open on Saturday.
    Any idea who the proprietors are?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

I don't know who owns it.
    I think it's going to be called 'La Cuisine'.
    Looks like a hipster kind of joint.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Reckon a restaurant will do well there. If it's a good restaurant. Could be successful on residents in Grange Rath alone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Its open now I think, see a good few people in it yesterday, anyone had a snoop?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Its open now I think, see a good few people in it yesterday, anyone had a snoop?

I called in for a look yesterday, the name is Duende, although I can't see anything that matches on social media which is strange for a new startup.

It's nicely setup inside with a small bar with about five proper taps. Menu is varied, with tapas and the likes of a burger meal for 10.50, ceaser salad for 7.50. I look forward to sampling it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    I was there the first night they were open(27th June). Looks like they were avoiding filling the place and ironing out any issues. Went in around 9, they had sold out of quiet a few items. We had 2 starters and 2 mains. The starters were very good, the mains were on the salty side.

They also had no phone line or ADSL for credit card machine, they were having difficulties getting line sorted on time. That appears to be an issue for a lot of tenants in the shopping centre.

Would I go back again? Yes. the prices were pretty reasonable, service was spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭IN-THE-KNOW

Had the pleasure dining in Duende in Grange Rath this evening... :-)
    No reservation - walked in and the staff took care of us...
    The food and wine/beer was very nice and the atmosphere was relaxed…
    The ambiance & menu certainly reflects a relaxed Spanish tapas bar…
    Definitely will go there again with family/friends...
    Wishing all the best for the new owners…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Pipmae wrote: »
    Any idea who the proprietors are?

Colm McGuinness, formerly of Fusion.
    Duende is the name of it.
    It's in Southgate S.C.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

There's another place opening at the back of Southgate, posters up saying it's a "Chinese and Pizza" place. Looks like a takeaway based on size and location.

• Advertisement

South Gate will be like a mini village!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

South Gate will be like a mini village!

Still a death trap when it rains or freezes .....need to put a canopy over the place

Vego wrote: »
    Still a death trap when it rains or freezes .....need to put a canopy over the place

Even when it's not raining!!!

I've had a few close calls tottering into Dunnes...... you'd think UGG boots would be okay for that sort of stuff - NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭gipi

Vego wrote: »

I thought there were plans some years ago to put a proper roof on it? I'm sure I read it in a paper somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Webmechanic

Went to Simona yesterday, been supporting the place since it opened years ago. I booked a table, as you have to do for lunchtimes, turned up and we were seated fine. Then one of the waiters came over to query the name I booked under. Then the manageress comes over, what name did I book under, when did I call, who did I speak to? I told her and she just stared at me as if expecting me to say something else, then she goes away and the waitress comes over, same thing, though at least she was apologetic. By this time though we're getting stares from all over the place.

We ordered and ate in some discomfort with all the whispers and looks. Went to pay the bill and my wife queries one item as she thought they might have confused it with something else, they hadn't but yet again it was all stares, from the staff this time, as though we were somehow out of line by querying something in the bill.

I phoned to book, was asked to repeat and then spell my name, so to find out that I'm not on their post-it note was annoying at best. (Here's a tip, if you require booking, buy a book to write it all in - don't use post-it notes!). If my name wasn't there, why seat us in the first place? Why all the subsequent questions making us feel like criminals? My wife was mortified.

I like the food but it'll be a long time before I go back there again. Totally pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Pipmae wrote: »

I was there recently for Tapas, it was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. Can't wait to go back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Lime Kiln rocks. Had a steak n Ribs combo, missus had fish n chips. Side orders of fries, mash, sweet potato wedges ans sticky chicken wings. It was all very tasty especially the marinade on the ribs and wings. Some lovely beers too, I think it was a Belgian beer I had Herenveen possibly

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Anyone try the new Tapa Bar and Restraunt at Southgate? Dueude or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Anyone try the new Tapa Bar and Restraunt at Southgate? Dueude or something like that?

Not personally but a close friend told me it just OK - nothing wrong with it however nothing special either.
    I was going to give it a try but decided not to based on this, if I want tapas I'll stick with D'Vine :)

Has the Wild Olive closed down?

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Seems so, new place called Annie's replaced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Not personally either but heard it was not great. A plate of Spanish specialities didn't even have olives!!

Yes, went there with OH about three weeks ago, and enjoyed it. We had a very well made cocktail at the bar, then were shown to our table by polite waiting staff. We had a high table - there's a mix of styles and sizes of table, and the place was buzzy but not too loud. Not a huge menu, food was nicely presented and cooked well. Perfectly acceptable wine list, too

Definitely worth a try. The decor is unusual, some thought has gone into it and the staff were attentive without being in your face. Reasonably value for money.

So, we'd say, "Go ahead and try it." It won't be everyone's cup of tea but we will go again. Based on that one visit, we'd still rate ESBG higher....

One odd thing - as far as I saw there's no sign to the gents in the restaurant itself. You have to go through a well marked emergency exit, then all becomes clear. I have a small bet with my wife that this is down to some idiotic regulation about the signposting of emergency exits, rather than a slip up by Duende. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in such arcane matters could advise??

I see the Gateway is re-opening as The Bare Food Company.

"All our dishes will be freshly made daily, sugar free and non-processed with no compromise on taste."

I think it's the same people who own D'Vine.
    Sounds interesting, although there is a protest planned to coincide with the opening.

"Down with this sort of thing, we want a Burger King!" :pac:

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    I see the Gateway is re-opening as The Bare Food Company.

"All our dishes will be freshly made daily, sugar free and non-processed with no compromise on taste."

I think it's the same people who own D'Vine.

Yes it is, along with another couple. They have facebook page, details on there.
    https://www.facebook.com/thebarefoodco

Anyone try the new Tapa Bar and Restaurant at Southgate? Dueude or something like that?
    I have, as someone else previously said nothing wrong with it. To me it lacks a bit of a buzz to the place. It almost seems like their heart isn't in the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

3 courses for 2 for €40 deal ends today on DealRush for Antica Toscana

Food very disappointing..... Not genuine authentic tapas at all. Tried it twice .... won't be going back.

• Advertisement

I am finally succumbing to years of pressure from my wife to take her to a local Chinese restaurant - I prefer Indian food myself and to be fair to her, she's been to any number of Indian restaurants in the last number of years, yet never a Chinese. So it's payback time!

I'd be really grateful for recommendations - I like Chinese food but it preferably has to be from a decent restaurant - something approaching Wongs in Clontarf, or Silks in Malahide, if at all possible. Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks!

Advertisement