Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I brought my parents and the in-laws out to West 29 (in the Westcourt hotel) and the food was gorgeous.
    They had a set menu for €29 and a €7 supplement for a 10oz steak option.
    The steak was cooked beautifully.
    The restaurant was packed on a Friday night but the service wasn't compromised by that.

On a separate note, I've had pub grub on Sundays in the Black Bull and they don't seem to know how to cook a yorkshire pudding.
    It's always overcooked and too crispy with the roast beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

On a separate note, I've had pub grub on Sundays in the Black Bull and they don't seem to know how to cook a yorkshire pudding.
    It's always overcooked and too crispy with the roast beef.

Black Bull has gone to the dogs over the last year or so.
    The service is horrific and the average food doesnt make up for it.

Barroco and west 29 are the best at moment IMO. The Tex Mex is unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Tried Bamboo last night. 5 of us where recovering from the night before in a friends house in Grange Rath. We assumed we'd have to drive over and collect it given the usual weekend waiting times for a delivery from any Drogheda takeout.I was pretty shocked when they said that they could deliver it in 15/20 minutes, given we'd asked for 5 mains and a starter.

BOOM, 12/13 minutes later the doorbell rings. I don't want to overthink it but that's ridiculously fast to cook and deliver any form of food. Tasted good though and did the job.

Similar experience in ESB last week, main on the table within 10 minutes.
    I would be very concerned if a restaurant was able to plate up in 10 mins. That seems to indicate that they use a microwave rather than cooking with fresh ingredients!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Black Bull has gone to the dogs over the last year or so.
    The service is horrific and the average food doesnt make up for it.

Barroco and west 29 are the best at moment IMO. The Tex Mex is unreal!

Haven't tried them yet, but hopefully will soon, As of the Blackbull their food is still OK to me but the one thing I and other people I know have comment about is the smaller portions they are serving now but not smaller prices, On another topic, Annie's Cafe in Meatmarket Lane is very good, Nice food, good selection and decently priced

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

bpmurray wrote: »
    I would be very concerned if a restaurant was able to plate up in 10 mins. That seems to indicate that they use a microwave rather than cooking with fresh ingredients!

The few times we have rang the Ming Garden in Trinity St, we always collect it ourselves, Always say it will be 10/15mins,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Ate in Sorrentos recently

Early bird menu is great value with start & main (pizza/pasta) for €14.95

I had the bruschetta - it was okay. nothing special.
    I also had the fettucine d'angelo I think it was called with tagliatelle, chicken, mushrooms in a creamy white sauce. It was grand. Felt service was tasty enough. Had a jug of water at table which wasn't enough for the group of us and they didn't come near us again to check for a top up/more drinks. I wasn't put off though, I'd be likely to eat here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

First time in Aisha's on Wellington Quay on New Years Day & was well impressed. Food was delicious, well priced & service was great and they even gave us a free portion of chicken wings (probably because the kitchen was closing but nice all the same!). Will definitely go back again!

Had lunch in WM Cairnes on Saturday. Food was nice but service was so-so. Meat Feast for €23 was some feed of food!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Went to Scholars for Valentines, was very impressed once again.

However, it was a bit pricey at €50 p.p, when their usual Table d'Hote menu is €37. In saying that there was an additional course (amuse bouche), and a free glass of prosecco.

The staff are very attentive and the food was mostly delicious. My OH got a chicken dish for his main that was a bit flat, but everything else was lovely. Will definitely be returning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gerbaby

Hiya,
    Where's best for good pub lunch around Drogheda - know about Donegans but fancy a change
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

gerbaby wrote: »
    Hiya,
    Where's best for good pub lunch around Drogheda - know about Donegans but fancy a change
    Thanks
    The Pheasant on Duleek Street was quite nice the last time I had lunch there. Or the Black Bull, Simona, West 29, Eastern Seaboard.... Plenty of options!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

toby2111 wrote: »
    The Pheasant on Duleek Street was quite nice the last time I had lunch there. Or the Black Bull, Simona, West 29, Eastern Seaboard.... Plenty of options!

+ the kitchen, lemonade, salthouse & Aishas

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

bewhiched wrote: »
    Hi has anyone tried TAAJ indian on stock well st and has anyone got the no can't find it anywhere thanks

Had takeaway from here, the food was good, portion sizes are excellent. I would say its the best Indian takeaway in Drogheda at the moment. The vegetarian dishes are really good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Went to Annie's today, the one down the lane beside Pennys on West Street.

I'll state first, I love their hot chicken wrap, which comes with lovely chipper-style chips and a decent salad. Food is lovely, and very good value for money.

My problem was with the staff; we were shown from the door to the table, handed a menu and the waitress then took out her pad, without giving us any time, and started asking our order. The drinks were brought back and nearly thrown at us. There was a franticness about all the staff, who were running round like lost chickens, acting as if they were crazy busy when the restaurant was only about 2/3rds full, and most of that was the end of the lunch time, meaning most people were just eating. The franticness wasn't natural.

A table beside us got a fish dish, and the fish came out undercooked. The woman asked to get something else, and when it came back, it was thrown at her and no apology given. And it was the manageress who brought it out.
    Near the end then, I was finished my dinner, but my mother wasn't. But 15 seconds after I put my fork down, my plate was whisked out from under me. It ended up putting pressure on my mother to finish quicker. The waitress who did it was running round doing it to everyone too; the second someone finished, she'd jump in, grab their plate and run off, as if they were closing and trying to give us a hint to get out. Thats one of those things that really bothers me; wait till everyone is finished, cause otherwise it feels like they are trying to rush us out the door.

And then when we went up to pay, it was a pouty girl who barely made eye contact, never asked us how the food was, and handed the change back with barely a word. No attempt to ask us if everything was ok, etc.

Thats something that annoys me, in general, about Irish restaurant staff; stop making me feel like I'm a bother for giving you my custom!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Webmechanic

What's the deal with the Artisan Food place on Stockwell Street? Heard the Food Safety Authority served a closure on the place?

On another note, tried the new cafe in the Laurence Street Centre, the one downstairs that the Cheese Shop has taken over - next to the bagel place. Just a quick visit, ordered an espresso. Got an espresso cup filled with black coffee! Seriously? I mean, if you don't know what an espresso is, or how to make one, don't offer the blasted thing! At least Cafe Nero gets it right! :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/dublin-burrito-bars-among-six-businesses-served-closure-orders-1.2563247

Six food businesses had closure orders served on them in February for breaking food safety laws.
    The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) published details on Monday of orders served by environmental health officers .
    A closure order is served where it is deemed that there is or there is likely to be a grave and immediate danger to public health.
    One such order was served under the FSAI Act 1998 on the Stockwell Artisan Foods restaurant at 1 Stockwell Street, Drogheda, Co Louth.

Yikes! Never ate in it myself, but glad I didn't now...

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muloc

Lord TSC wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/dublin-burrito-bars-among-six-businesses-served-closure-orders-1.2563247

Six food businesses had closure orders served on them in February for breaking food safety laws.
    The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) published details on Monday of orders served by environmental health officers .
    A closure order is served where it is deemed that there is or there is likely to be a grave and immediate danger to public health.
    One such order was served under the FSAI Act 1998 on the Stockwell Artisan Foods restaurant at 1 Stockwell Street, Drogheda, Co Louth.

Yikes! Never ate in it myself, but glad I didn't now...

:eek: I've had a few coffees in the one in Drogheda. Can't remember if I ever had grub there.
    I wonder what the difference is between closure under FSAI Act, 1998 and closure under EC (Official Control of Foodstuffs) Regulations, 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Tried D'Vine over the weekend and good experience over all.

Nice cozy place and predictably packed on Saturday night. The house white, can't remember the name, was on the sweet-side. Nachos were nice etc, but the main was the real star - 'Grandma's special' - penne, beef and a nice thick layer of cheese and oven baked. They serve it straight out of the oven and it was like trying to eat a mini Sun. In it's cast-iron plate/pot, it stays hot enough to burn your mouth well over 30 mins, no exaggeration. I don't think Grandma had starters and dessert in mind when she cooked that dish for her family, its a very decent portion. Anyway thanks to DVine's collective imaginary Grandma, I thoroughly enjoyed it - probably one of the best dishes I've had lately.

Over all, d'Vine gets :thumbsup:

For the burger lovers. Try the cross, they do take out as well. Smashing burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

IvoryTower wrote: »
    For the burger lovers. Try the cross, they do take out as well. Smashing burger.

Yep, the burger is delish in The Cross....however, be very specific if you don't like/can't eat cheese (I have an intolerance to the stuff, so have to be very careful).

I ate in The Cross a few weeks ago, and asked for my burger without cheese (the burgers come with cheese as standard). Burger arrived, sans cheese, but with parmesan sprinkled over the burger bun and chips. It's their standard serving method, apparently, but it wasn't mentioned on the menu (I couldn't see it anyway).

The barman was very apologetic, and I got a fresh burger to replace the one I couldn't eat. It was certainly worth waiting for...yum! And the value is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

Went to donegans Saturday night, place was jammed n ended up waiting an hour to get the grub. U can't book tables there

Split the deep fried brie with the missus for starters, it was grand, nothing wow. Other couple we were with got chicken wings n they were nicest I ever had and a huge portion too. Them n chips would fill u. I got the s campi, there was a mound of it n top class as well. The others had 8 oz steaks n one had prawns in garlic.
    Would go back, getting hungry thinking about the s campi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Ate in Casanova recently. Great value of 3 courses and bottle of wine for 55euro (2 people). I had chilli prawns to start and a pasta dish for mains.

Main courses are only ten euro during the week I think and it's excellent value. Was pleasantly surprised as hadn't heard much about this place but I will be back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Had brunch in the Bare Food Cafe the last two saturdays. Seems to be very popular. First week, I had a cooked breakfast which was very nice but a little too oily. Second week, I had poached eggs with beans & a sweet potato hash brown. Very nice. The beans are lovely, but quite spicy! Doesn't bother me but if you are not a spice fan, they might be a bit hot. Staff are very nice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

enricoh wrote: »
    Went to donegans Saturday night, place was jammed n ended up waiting an hour to get the grub. U can't book tables there

Split the deep fried brie with the missus for starters, it was grand, nothing wow. Other couple we were with got chicken wings n they were nicest I ever had and a huge portion too. Them n chips would fill u. I got the s campi, there was a mound of it n top class as well. The others had 8 oz steaks n one had prawns in garlic.
    Would go back, getting hungry thinking about the s campi!
    Donegans is brilliant for breakfast, great value, great feed

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

wasn't there supposed to be a new Mexican burrito type place opening in town? Havent heard anything after the initial news...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Yeah, 5th Avenue Deli in the Abbey S/C.
    Did it ever open for business?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Donegans today late afternoon lunch menu is some value
    There was 5 of us, 4 had plaice @ €11 yes two plaice cabbage carrots and a choice of potatoes the other meal was Scampi @ €18, 3 pints and 4 desserts €96, you will not beat that for value, I mean we were stuffed, and I was the one not having dessert or a pint!!

macadam wrote: »
    Donegans today late afternoon lunch menu is some value
    There was 5 of us, 4 had plaice @ €11 yes two plaice cabbage carrots and a choice of potatoes the other meal was Scampi @ €18, 3 pints and 4 desserts €96, you will not beat that for value, I mean we were stuffed, and I was the one not having dessert or a pint!!
    Went to Donegans yesterday evening at 7, 45 minute wait after you ordered your food . on a Wednesday night :eek: we left. Place wasnt packed but busy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

whelan2 wrote: »
    Went to Donegans yesterday evening at 7, 45 minute wait after you ordered your food . on a Wednesday night :eek: we left. Place wasnt packed but busy

We always used the bar, when we ordered yesterday the food was on the table within 10 minutes. Yes we often had to wait for a table and wait for the food, then again we dont mind waiting if your in a hurry there's always McDonalds or KFC, I know which I would prefer..

macadam wrote: »
    We always used the bar, when we ordered yesterday the food was on the table within 10 minutes. Yes we often had to wait for a table and wait for the food, then again we dont mind waiting if your in a hurry there's always McDonalds or KFC, I know which I would prefer..
    With kids waiting 45 minutes wasnt going to work. Just letting people know it might be better to book a table rather than rolling up and expecting a table like we did in the evening time.

• Advertisement

Without kids 45 min wont work

Advertisement