Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 megaboomx

so this week I decided to go out for dinner to a few places I hadnt been in a while ! Onn the days I went to cairnes there beside scotch hall . was very dissapointed food and service were terrible .was waiting ages to even be acknowledged . there was lots of staff about and it seemed like an inconvenience when I asked for my order to be taken . as I didnt like my food I got dessert aswell and have to say that it was actually lovely but will not be returning again . Service was too bad and its sad cause it has so much going for it im sure its a nice place for just drinks but defintley not lunch.

and was in bia today . I read people saying it was closed? Ino the one in dunleer is but drogheda obviouslyy isnt the Place was very busy and everything was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

furiousox wrote: »
    I was in Bia (Drogheda) yesterday and it's closed for renovations.
    There were a few lads inside painting the place and they said it would be back open in a few days.
    Is Aisha's gone?
    It was closed yesterday

Not according to their Facebook page though I don't live in Drogheda and could be wrong.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aishas-Cafe-Bistro/538586406154267

Nice Lebanese restaurant and I hope to return over Easter period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Anyone tried the new Chinese on the beamore road beside the school? (The old ace)

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Just thought I'd add a little Hit & Miss.

Hit:
    Salthouse on North Quay. Second time there and quite impressed. They seemed to have expanded their menu since the last time? Which is great…
    Had the favourite; Steak Sandwich. Tasted really nice, with greens n sauce.
    OH had Duck noodle, which was also very tasty. Nice atmosphere in there. Couldn't really fault the place. Steak sambo possibly a little pricey at €10 a pop, for what you get...

Miss:
    Katie's Kitchen @ the Tatch. I know places like this are only starting out and need to get some things right, but I won't be rushing back in any great hurry. Ordered a Sirloin Steak, which was chargrilled. Steak came out burnt!
    Asked people that were with me to taste and everyone agreed... Burnt! like when you can taste food off a burnt pot. Told the waitress and she tried telling me "it was chargrilled, it was meant to be like that!!". Asked her to get the chef to taste it! Sorry but there's chargrilled and then there's burnt. They changed it but even the replacement was nothing to get excited about. Asked could I get side salad with the steak instead of veg. Waitress says no problem and then charges us an extra fiver for a side salad. Asked for a dash of dillutable for all the kids drinks and was charged €2 each jug! The overall bill was also fairly pricey considering what we got (1 main, 1 dessert and a glass of flat coke!). Anyway, don't like leaving negative feedback, just constructive criticism. But I wouldn't be back to spend my money here in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Miss: WM Cairnes.

Ordered chicken wings and chips. The wings that I had there before were lovely, but these were just awful. Whatever spice was on them was so spicy I had to urgently reach for my water on several occasions as I thought I was going to die. Also, i left a few of them in the bowl (I NEVER leave food!)

The chips were 'chunky' but were quite hard so, for the first time, I complained! Very politely, I got waitresses attention and said that they were quite hard and could I get them done a bit more, so she brought me a new portion which were pretty much the same (but weren't the same!) so I figured that must be the way they do them there so I ate a few of them :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

how did cairnes do downhill so quickly?

the food was really good for about 6-12 months and then nothing but bad to average reports since...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Rossin wrote: »
    how did cairnes do downhill so quickly?

the food was really good for about 6-12 months and then nothing but bad to average reports since...

D hotel opening a restaurant could be a shift of resources

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Rossin wrote: »
    how did cairnes do downhill so quickly?.

I think (and I'm not slating the place, it's one of my favourites in town) that they're trying too hard to be too many things.
    They're a hotel bar, a live sports venue, a live music venue, a late bar,restaurant and a party venue.

The place just doesn't have the space needed for all this and ultimately something will suffer.

They need to extend the seating area, maybe out where the beer garden is, there's plenty of room there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Went to The Kitchen last night with himself. Have long been a fan of it during the day but this was my first evening meal there. Holy moly, it was epic! It was delicious! Himself had the Prawns on Pan con Tomate for starters - they were amazing! Very tasty and the right portion size, just enough to make you want more ;) Was sorry I didn't get them myself.

For mains, he had the Lamb Kofta which he said was lovely. I had the Duck Magret. It was delicious! I'm not normally a fan of duck because I have a thing about fatty meat but there was zero fat on it. The crackling was perfectly cooked, so much so that I actually ate it, instead of performing surgery on it. :P It came with a lovely potato cake wrapped in bacon and a side of cabbage. It was all beautiful. Presentation was lovely too.

For dessert, I had a Salted Caramel Baked Alaska, which was divine. It killed me to admit defeat and not finish it!

All in all, we had a lovely meal. The damage came to 66 euro for a starter, two mains, one dessert, two glasses of wine, a cappuccino and a coke. Slightly more expensive than we normally spend on a meal out but worth every penny!

The only thing I can't figure out is why there were not more people there? 8pm and only about five tables full. Was very sorry to see it as the staff are always so lovely and the food was really lovely. Will defo be going back!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Was in De Laceys last week (the new d hotel restaurant) and I was really impressed! The set menu of 4 courses for €29 is good value, and there was just so much food! Left well fed and happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭lamoss

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Anyone tried the new Chinese on the beamore road beside the school? (The old ace)

I think they have closed down.
    Shop closed all week and shutters down all the time, went past tonight and no sign of life ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chloebeag

I ate in Tower Bar and Grill last night. Very enjoyable meal. The ingredients were all fresh and locally produced. For starters we tried the goats cheese with beetroot carpaccio and also Eddie Tuites black pudding with crispy egg. Both were tasty and beautifully presented. For mains we had the cod with quinoa, perfectly cooked and the dry aged rib eye steak, which was melt in your mouth. We shared a lemon tart for desert.
    The bill for 3 of us including wine, 2 pints, 1 Irish coffee and 2 baileys coffee was around €137. Worth every penny. The staff were excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Ourselves and another couple tried aishas - the Lebanese restaurant along the quay in drogheda .
    I seriously had the nicest starter of prawns - ever ! And a nice Lebanese messuf chicken main course which was out of this world .
    The other couple had the platter and were equally happy .
    Definely top of my list at the moment and as it is BYO the bill came to only €96,Yes €96 for 4 !

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

blingrhino wrote: »
    Ourselves and another couple tried aishas - the Lebanese restaurant along the quay in drogheda .
    I seriously had the nicest starter of prawns - ever ! And a nice Lebanese messuf chicken main course which was out of this world .
    The other couple had the platter and were equally happy .
    Definely top of my list at the moment and as it is BYO the bill came to only €96,Yes €96 for 4 !
    Myself and my husband were in Aishas last night. We had the mezza which was gorgeous. €38 and we brought our own wine. Not bad- a night out for less than €50. Cant beat that!!!:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Was at the restaurant up at The Thatch yesterday.

In fairness, everything was grand. Just nothing special imo. The food was nice.

Its just that the menu was nothing special; it's very similar to a lot of other places. There was nothing on it that made me think "Yeah, I'll make the trip back again".

We got a Chinese take away from Chanco last night. I had woks cooking last weekend. I found Chanco to be much nicer. I had chicken curry, which had slices of breast of chicken. I much preferred this to the diced chicken used in Woks cooking.
    I also had egg fried rice, noodles, duck rolls and Garlic and chili chicken wings. Everything was hot when it arrived, very tasty and not greasy. Thumbs up for Chanco.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Chloebeag wrote: »
    We got a Chinese take away from Chanco last night. I had woks cooking last weekend. I found Chanco to be much nicer. I had chicken curry, which had slices of breast of chicken. I much preferred this to the diced chicken used in Woks cooking.
    I also had egg fried rice, noodles, duck rolls and Garlic and chili chicken wings. Everything was hot when it arrived, very tasty and not greasy. Thumbs up for Chanco.

Read your post yesterday and felt the uirge to go! I had the same minus the duck rolls and wings. The rice, noodles and chicken curry was all spot on. Even their prawn crackers taste better than most places. I'll be back for sure.

I'd have loved to try the wings and duck rolls too but my budget didn't allow :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

I was going to get Chanco's yesterday, but couldn't find a menu online! Can you share the link if known?
    Got a Noodle Box.. it was OK.. not the best I've gotten from there, but still good!

mejulie805 wrote: »
    I was going to get Chanco's yesterday, but couldn't find a menu online! Can you share the link if known?
    Got a Noodle Box.. it was OK.. not the best I've gotten from there, but still good!

Sorry I have a menu at home that came through the letterbox ages ago.
    I find that most take aways can be hit or miss. Strange that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Chloebeag wrote: »
    We got a Chinese take away from Chanco last night. I had woks cooking last weekend. I found Chanco to be much nicer. I had chicken curry, which had slices of breast of chicken. I much preferred this to the diced chicken used in Woks cooking...

Hi, just to let you know Woks Cooking also do a breast of chicken curry.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

furiousox wrote: »
    Hi, just to let you know Woks Cooking also do a breast of chicken curry.

It was the breast of chicken curry that I got in Woks cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Is Yi Garden on Palace street any good? Or am I better off ordering from somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Just had lunch in Maria's in Laurence st , a delightful little tapas / Mexican restaurant highly recommended and affordable , I had the best club sandwich I ever had and my partner had tapas , they have a lovely outside dining area to the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

I am not naming any restaurant in particular, but has anyone else noticed prices going up in a number of restaurants? Somewhere I was for Fathers day, cheapest starter was 6 euro and cheapest main was 16 euro or so. It's starting leave a bad taste already - and bringing back memories of the crazy days of 2006-2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Is Ajanta closed?
    There's a 'For Sale' sign outside the building.

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

positron wrote: »
    I am not naming any restaurant in particular, but has anyone else noticed prices going up in a number of restaurants? Somewhere I was for Fathers day, cheapest starter was 6 euro and cheapest main was 16 euro or so. It's starting leave a bad taste already - and bringing back memories of the crazy days of 2006-2007.

Are you talking about just on the specific day, or in general? Would think it's common enough for a "family holiday" like that to see a rise in prices, since they know people will want to go out for a meal.

Anyone know if there's any truth to talk that The Black Bull is up for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Are you talking about just on the specific day, or in general? Would think it's common enough for a "family holiday" like that to see a rise in prices, since they know people will want to go out for a meal.

I am thinking in general, but it could have been just the two places I have been to last week. The other place's cheapest main was 19 euro and that was was not Father's day either.

May be it's just me spoiled by the choice and value around Dublin city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭bewhiched

I see the people that owned bitzo in meat market lane is opening up again under a different name where Jaffa is or was!!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Dub in Louth

I know it's in Bettystown but I've just been for a coffee in Bistro BT. I've been going to this cafe in Bettystown beach for a few years but haven't been in over 6 months. I only went for a coffee with my parents. We wanted to sit outside but no table. Not a problem we said we would sit inside. Were told to wait while they cleared a table ( all inside tables were empty but full of dirty dishes ) 10 minutes later they finally sat us down with a menu. We had explained we only wanted coffee. Left on our table for ages waiting to order while rude waitress shouted across the room that she will take our order in a minute. When we ordered she was disgusted that we were only ordering coffee and no food. Coffee was average when it arrived. The service was absolutely shocking. When the previous owner (Tina I believe ) ran this place it was a pleasure to dine in. Won't be returning again. Very disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

I didn't know bt's changed ownership.

Was that recent? I had a very similar experience over a month ago. Actually walked out and went to reddins for coffee instead. No view but coffee was nice.

I also find bt's menu overpriced. Esp for breakfast

Advertisement