Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Was in Eastern Seaboard again last week, very busy as usual but I find this is always to the detriment of the service. I've never once had cause to complain about the food, everything I've tried on the menu has been lovely, very tasty but every time I go there's always that niggling feeling that staff are just too rushed, too busy and they usually forget something. Before it's been the salt & pepper (which they don't leave on tables), or trying to catch their eye for more butter, or clean cutlery when a fork was dropped - this time it was a staff member who asked if we wanted to see the dessert menu, we said yes and he forgot to bring them over, we had to ask again 10 minutes later. :(. It wouldn't be so bad if it was incidental, but it's every time we go.

Was there on Monday at around 5pm and it was grand and quiet. Food was fantastic as ever, but I ordered a pint when the waitress was taking our order and was waiting a good 10 minutes for it =/ Had to remind the girl that I had ordered it. She was very apologetic about it though in fairness to her.

And this was when the place was virtually empty. Seriously, there were more staff there than customers! Obviously not the biggest complaint one could have about a restaurant but still. Service can be terribly lackadaisical at times.

Wouldn't be enough to put me off going there all the same. Food is still better than most other places imo, and it's very reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

We visited the tower restaurant in millmount recently and i have to say we were really impressed. fabulous starter of duck eggs and i had venison for the main which was also excellent.
    The ecentric owner was serving us and i must say i found him witty and pleasant.
    As a die hard esb fan i did nt think there was anything compromil in drogheda, but i think i have just found my new favourite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

blingrhino wrote: »
    As a die hard esb fan i did nt think there was anything compromil in drogheda, but i think i have just found my new favourite :)

You are not the only one who used to believe that and has recently changed their mind. My better half was at D'vine very recently and totally loved it. Quality on offer has gone up general I think and perhaps we can thank ESB for setting the bar high and now we have plenty of great choice in this little old town!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

blingrhino wrote: »
    We visited the tower restaurant in millmount recently and i have to say we were really impressed. fabulous starter of duck eggs and i had venison for the main which was also excellent.
    The ecentric owner was serving us and i must say i found him witty and pleasant.

How did you find the prices?? Went when it first reopened and thought it was very expensive...but the views from the conservatory is amazing...picture postcard ;)

Anytime I have tried to head up to the Tower it always seems to be closed never sure on there opening hours .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

PinkFly wrote: »
    How did you find the prices?? Went when it first reopened and thought it was very expensive...but the views from the conservatory is amazing...picture postcard ;)

The price for two including a bottle of wine was about €80 with no dessert ,which i found acceptable. €80 for good food is worth it all day in my book rather than paying €50 for dung !

Your right the view is fantastic from the conservatory - i used to go when it was the buttergate restaurant 20 years ago , i cant remember but id say the landscape has changed dramaticaly !

Ordered food from Peony a few weeks ago.. and ordered twice again since then. Not a fan of chinese food since the last time I had it in.. erm.. whatever the place is called near Pearce Park? Golden Bowl, I think?

Anyway, ordered food in there before and wasn't at all impressed. Had settled solely on Punjabi House in the interim to satisfy my curry needs, but a friend was ordering from Peony and, begrudgingly, I ordered stuff, too.

To say I was surprised would be an enormous understatement. It was absolutely lovely. My stomache couldn't handle any more of it by the time I was half way through, but I kept on chomping anyway. It really was delicious.

I just ordered chicken curry and chips, by the way. Fairly basic, and what i'd usually order from the Punjabi.

In regards to the Punjabi, I ordered off them last week, too. I'd be a regular enough Punjabi eater, but I have to comment on their food. It's always been amazing, and top of my list of places to order from, but the quality has taken a steep decline of late.

I remember reading on here a while back that they had changed chef, but wasn't sure if that's true or not. Either way, something is definitely amiss as of late. It's just not the same. Thankfully, the Chicken Pakora has remain unchanged (that is; the nicest, tastiest chicken you'll ever eat, but that you can't seem to buy in any supermarkets to home cook!).

So this last two weeks has been

Punjabi House - 0
    My Little Peony - 1

Off to Bru tonight for some food, glorious food. Will be curious to see how I get on. Had a christmas night out there last year and wasn't overly impressed (despite all visits before and after that being favourable). Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I love Peony for chinese. I used to travel across town to Ming Garden, but the queues and the parking and the odd hit and miss had us looking somewhere else.
    I also go to Noodle Box on West St, again not great parking and quite a limited menu, but reasonably priced and very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

Just had my first punjabi in months and thought it was perfect!

9 months without spicy food, finally she will eat it again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Rossin wrote: »
    Just had my first punjabi in months and thought it was perfect!

9 months without spicy food, finally she will eat it again :)

Used to love Punjabi but not anymore definely changed in take get our Indian from cinnamon garden if I'm on the lates in work beautiful Indian in ashbourne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

anyone recommend a nice central carvery for tomorrow afternoon with two ten year old lads in tow? normally i swear by the monasterboice but using public transport from balbriggan,black bull maybe?? thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I love Black Bull. can be busy on Sundays though so maybe book in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I love Black Bull. can be busy on Sundays though so maybe book in advance?

cheers for that :) handy for both train and bus too.not sure about a carvery taking reservations though,usually it would be places with set menus that might require advance booking.at least with the carvery the two boyos can pick away at what they like,ill look into it mind.

cheers for that :) handy for both train and bus too.not sure about a carvery taking reservations though,usually it would be places with set menus that might require advance booking.at least with the carvery the two boyos can pick away at what they like,ill look into it mind.

Bus stops right outside it I think :)

In D'Vine last week and have to say it was top notch. Prob the best food I have had in Drogheda. Their tapas style starters are lovely and nice atmosphere in the place. Far cosier and welcoming than Eastern Seaboard for me. Went to the Tower in Millmount also which was lovely and the Pheasant really have upped their game food wise. Steak in the Pheasant is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Has anyone tried the little Lebanese bistro that's on Wellington Quay?

Where to go for a nice afternoon lunch? Normally go to Relish Bettystown but looking for a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Did so on Sat night - great place. Seats upstairs, bring your own wine!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

everlast75 wrote: »
    Did so on Sat night - great place. Seats upstairs, bring your own wine!

I was thinking of going there for ym birthday dinner, always wondered what it was like!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 megaboomx

Anyone been to bia cafe lately? want somewhere nice for a catch up with the girls , yay or nay ? was in simona cafe already recently it was fab but want somewhere different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I love the Salt House on North Quay, never get a bad meal in there. Menu is a bit limited but they usually always have a different special

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭PGE1970

We were in Aisha's at the weekend.

Food lovely and very fresh. Had the mezze for two people. Loads of food. €21 each inc coffee. Service excellent too.

Bring your own wine or beer and no corkage charge.

I'd recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

megaboomx wrote: »
    Anyone been to bia cafe lately? want somewhere nice for a catch up with the girls , yay or nay ? was in simona cafe already recently it was fab but want somewhere different

Was in there last weekend. Standards had dipped for a while both in food and service but it's back to its best. Particularly the service

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

megaboomx wrote: »

Service has greatly improved, and I've never had a bad meal in there. I don't know if it's a 'catch up' place though, it depends on the day and time. It can be very noisy at times, and there's no quiet corners as such.

Love the stirfry in Bia!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Zell

I went for lunch in d'Vine yesterday and was very disappointed. The menu is limited - mainly soup and sandwiches or pasta/burger. I ordered a salad of couscous and roasted veg. The couscous was soggy and the whole meal really disappointing. Wont be going there again.

Just back from lunch in the Salthouse, Drogheda. Excellent Chirozo and Chickpea soup (a meal in itself) and crab, crayfish and avocado salad. Delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Zell wrote: »
    I went for lunch in d'Vine yesterday and was very disappointed. The menu is limited - mainly soup and sandwiches or pasta/burger. I ordered a salad of couscous and roasted veg. The couscous was soggy and the whole meal really disappointing. Wont be going there again.

I went to D'Vine as part of a group of 9, and I would say 4 of them would be pretty fussy and would eat out a lot, they are not from the town. They thought it was excellent, service was spot on and food was very good. We had been to Eastern Seaboard previously, they also enjoyed it there. The general comment was that eating out is very good value in Drogheda.

The more options, the more cost. I always like places with small lunchtime menu, you just want to take quick browse at menu order and eat. I must admit I like the Kitchen on Quay for lunch, Simona Cafe is also good, I would call it comfort food in Simona Cafe.

I lam currently living and working in Brussels (and not gone for the experience Mr Kenny!!!), I am living in the suburbs and its not till you experience cost and service elsewhere you realise that there is great choice in Drogheda for the size of the town.

I am not originally from Drogheda, but moved there in 06, I am always annoyed when I see how quick people are to knock it.

Mylow wrote: »
    I went to D'Vine as part of a group of 9, and I would say 4 of them would be pretty fussy and would eat out a lot, they are not from the town. They thought it was excellent, service was spot on and food was very good. We had been to Eastern Seaboard previously, they also enjoyed it there. The general comment was that eating out is very good value in Drogheda.

The more options, the more cost. I always like places with small lunchtime menu, you just want to take quick browse at menu order and eat. I must admit I like the Kitchen on Quay for lunch, Simona Cafe is also good, I would call it comfort food in Simona Cafe.

I lam currently living and working in Brussels (and not gone for the experience Mr Kenny!!!), I am living in the suburbs and its not till you experience cost and service elsewhere you realise that there is great choice in Drogheda for the size of the town.

I am not originally from Drogheda, but moved there in 06, I am always annoyed when I see how quick people are to knock it.

Agree think there is a great choice food wise in Drogheda. D'Vine is probably my favourite restuarant in Drogheda love the Tapas they do really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Ajanta gone to the dogs? On the evidence of my last take away, most definitely! Got a vegetable chettinad, really awful it was, they had the nerve to simply throw some frozen pack vegetables into a totally bland and incredibly watery sauce. Chips covered in way too much salt. Stale poppadoms. never again. F*ck off Ajanta!!

Advertisement