Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

I went to the new Italian, Antica Toscana on Shop St on Saturday, it was really nice. The pizza was very good, price was reasonable 2 starters, 2 mains, 2 beers and a soft drink €47.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I haven't been to Jaffas since Bia opened, except for the odd sambo from the takeaway on Dyer St.

Dont bother going back....:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

got take out at Mo's tonight, really enjoyed the chicken and sides...

Good service, but as said before chicken and fish portions small for the price, but cant complain, as was stuffed after having it!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

went to the salt house for the first time in about 5 years

mince crepe with relish, onion, tomato and side salad, loved it

and choc cake for desert was top notch, I think this could be my new fave place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Hot Woks in Termon Abbey is top notch,we used to use Trinity st chinese only and have recently started using Hot Woks,they have great deals including a family meal for 23 euro which easily fed 4 adults and four kids last night.
    The real deal for me is delivery to Termonfeckin for 3 quid way to easy when on the vino ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Agree with above post that Hot Woks in Aston Village (just drive through ermon Abbey) is good and the portions are deep. Dont forget the chiiper there bruno's either. chips to die for. And people come from a long way to get them. All made fresh.

Anyway, just wanted to add some +ve feedback on the black bull inn. Had a christening up there in the restaurant and it was great. top service and food, everyone loved it! empty plates all scraped clean tells the tale better than I could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭furiousox

Looks like Quay 4 is closed and up for sale, never got to try their steak on a stone.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭brian_bugle

Does anyone know if Chanco Chinese restaurant is closed?? I didn't think it was but my sister says it is gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Looked like it was open when I drove past in on Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭positron

You know how first impressions can be deceiving etc. So I am just back to comment on 'The Noodle Box'.

Fret not, they are the real deal. They passed my second and third take-away order tests (!) in flying colours. If anyone is curious and want to try them out, I would recommend their 'Thai Box'. Lovely Thai red curry flavors with a (strong) hint of ginger! Delivery takes a little longer than I would have liked, but when it tastes like that, and when the €6.95 boxes are big enough to last two dinners, I don't mind really.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭pippam

positron wrote: »
    You know how first impressions can be deceiving etc. So I am just back to comment on 'The Noodle Box'.

Fret not, they are the real deal. They passed my second and third take-away order tests (!) in flying colours. If anyone is curious and want to try them out, I would recommend their 'Thai Box'. Lovely Thai red curry flavors with a (strong) hint of ginger! Delivery takes a little longer than I would have liked, but when it tastes like that, and when the €6.95 boxes are big enough to last two dinners, I don't mind really.

Sounds good, thanks. Will try them next time I'm getting take away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Also on the noodle box topic, if anyone is ever tempted to get the double meat, you better be hungry! :D
    Great value for only 8.95 considering that most chinese' start at 9 euro for a meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Had a meal in Rupee in Drogheda on Tuesday night. It was my first time trying Indian food but I really enjoyed it. We had a mixed platter for starters, I had a chicken dopiaza for my main and my girlfriend had a vegetable biriyani. Both of us really enjoyed the food. Very pleasant service and good sized portions. I'll be back to them again for sure.

Also noticed on the take away menu that they have a testing box for 2 for €25. Comes with 4 starters, 4 mains, 2 rice and 2 sides. Seems like a good sized meal for the price. Might give it a try this weekend to see what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭muckyprawn

I checked out Harpers on the key on friday...first impressions weren't too good to be honest. Waiting staff seem extremely inexperienced and forgetful...food was good, but it wasn't exactly what was stated on the menu. Overall I would like to see it do well but they need more efficient waiting staff....I know it was only open, but first impressions last.

muckyprawn wrote: »
    I checked out Harpers on the key on friday...

Where is this place? Is it where Bella Atina used to be?

Has anyone tried "The Rendezvous" yet, it's up where the Fisherman's Wharf used to be. Looks nice, but not sure about it as went to it when it was Harry's (I think that was the name) and it was freezing in the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭gipi

Shoe Lover,
    Harpers is opposite Wogans furniture shop, right on the corner of Shop St and North Quay. It used to be a men's clothes shop.

Passed it today, it looked busy, but I'd like to have seen a menu in the window so I could peruse before deciding to go in. What sort of food do they do, muckyprawn?

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Where is this place? Is it where Bella Atina used to be?

It used to be the wise owl and then it became some lads shop-come-nightclub :rolleyes:.

Its actually really sad to see a bistro/cafe opening up there (hear me out..) because the place beside, cafe fettes(?) has a to let sign up and the shutters down. I walked by it 3 weeks ago and seen the staff looking very bored and the place empty. It was obvious that it would be shut soon.
    Its great to see a new place opening and all that but i really hope the same thing doesnt happen in another year or so.

Ah yeah, I know where it is now. Always thought that the Wise Owl made a mistake moving out of there. Yeah, I think coffee shops tend to struggle in that spot. Fair play to them for giving it a shot, takes guts the way things are today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

the place before cafe fettes did very well! was it monks? what happened to them>?

Cafe Fettes is still there and still going strong - it's next door to the new place (Harpers).

Can't beat the breakfast bagel in Cafe Fettes, by the way!! Bacon, sausage and egg in a bagel plus tea/coffee for a fiver!

Edit: Just saw your post CMpunked - I saw the "to let" sign a while back and asked the staff if it meant they were closing down - the lady said no, that it was just the lease and they weren't affected. The shutters weren't down when I passed today (about 1.30 or so). They close early (5pm) and aren't open on Sundays.

gipi wrote: »
    Edit: Just saw your post CMpunked - I saw the "to let" sign a while back and asked the staff if it meant they were closing down - the lady said no, that it was just the lease and they weren't affected. The shutters weren't down when I passed today (about 1.30 or so). They close early (5pm) and aren't open on Sundays.

Oh thank god. Some of their cakes and sandwhiches can be reeeeally nice. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Shoe Lover wrote: »

Has anyone tried "The Rendezvous" yet, it's up where the Fisherman's Wharf used to be. Looks nice, but not sure about it as went to it when it was Harry's (I think that was the name) and it was freezing in the place!

Heard its really nice. Mainly due to the cooks from the eastern seaboard and scholars cooking there now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Heard its really nice. Mainly due to the cooks from the eastern seaboard and scholars cooking there now! :)

Interesting...

Last time I was in Scholars about 2 months ago I thought the food was well below their usual standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭pippam

The Kitchen is set to open tomorrow. Will be checking it out.

pippam wrote: »
    The Kitchen is set to open tomorrow. Will be checking it out.

The signage above it has been for a good while now, hope it will be nice.
    Be cool to have a bit of a medium between the great burgers from ER at the nice cost of bia. :p

Anyone know anything about this place? The Boyne Grill
    Its down to the right of the entrance to Scotch Hall down beside the toilets.
    It has a "Find us on facebook" button which does nothing so i cant find out anything that way.

Is The Boyne Grill connected to the D Hotel at all?

Where is The Kitchen? Burgers that aren't from ER sound interesting......mmmmm!

gipi wrote: »
    Is The Boyne Grill connected to the D Hotel at all?

Where is The Kitchen? Burgers that aren't from ER sound interesting......mmmmm!

Do you mean management wise or physically?
    It is just to the right of it as you walk out the side entrance to scotch hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

zac8 wrote: »
    Interesting...

Last time I was in Scholars about 2 months ago I thought the food was well below their usual standards.

I never liked it.

CMpunked wrote: »
    Do you mean management wise or physically?
    It is just to the right of it as you walk out the side entrance to scotch hall.

Thanks - I was thinking management-wise...

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

I tried the Noodle Box after reading about it here and it was bad. I never had rice in a box before and don't think I ever will again after that - soggy rice at the bottom, dry rice in the middle and a pile of incinerated dried out meat at the top. Ugh! Chips were nice :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭positron

zac8, really? Sorry to hear that and apologies!

I am like a big rice eater (err big as in huge.. doh... I mean, not my physical size although that's not too far off either but, I am referring to frequency here!) so I would like to think that I know good rice from bad rice and I thought their rice boxes were okay based on the two times I ordered rice boxes from them. What box did you get, just out of curiosity. Thanks!

Advertisement