Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

PinkFly wrote: »
    Is the new esboard bakery called the brown hound or something like that? Called up yesterday about 3 and it was closed =( sad times

Yeah, I think thats it. The place seems to have strange opening hours. I know the chipper part closes at 9 - tried it yesterday for the first time. Got a battered hake and chips (comes with a segement of lemon and a tub of tartar sauce) for a tenner. have to say it was class, even if the chips were a bit on the salty side. Much better than you'd get in a normal chipper, and only for a couple of euro extra

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Just had the chicken and chips from the seaboard takeaway. They are more wedges than chips but they are delicious. Wish the chicken wasn't bone-y but otherwise was awesome.

Anyone try the cold noodles? Sound nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Xeroid

Tried Mo's for the first time last night,had the haddock and fries and the chicken with the slaw and mixed bean salad. They also come with a choice of dips included. All very tasty , but we thought the fish and chips were too oily as if the oil was not hot enough .€21.50 for 2 so ok value wise. Will try again to see if it improves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 josephine139

Xeroid wrote: »
    Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Its the new eastern seaboard take away place over by bryanstown.

I had a look yesterday. Just the bakery is open at the moment. looks really nice.

I did'nt realise it was connected to the ESB.
    Tried the new Italian,Antica Toscana last Sat. Very good nice buzz,singing Italian waiters give it a more authentic feel compared to Sorrentos which is still great for wine and pizza. Going to Rupee tonight so hope it's as good as you all say it is.

What is the phone number for Antica Toscana, can't find it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kk7

Probably the same number The Boiled Onion had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 josephine139

PinkFly wrote: »
    Is the new esboard bakery called the brown hound or something like that? Called up yesterday about 3 and it was closed =( sad times

It's closed sun & mon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

it was a tuesday though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Went to Tangos again the other night for my birthday. Was fab as usual. Was talking to the manager and he said business was picking up again thank God.
    My daughter is going to La Pizzeria for a birthday party. Any idea of prices is it very expensive?

Went to Relish yesterday.

It's far too small for the people they are getting in but I suppose that's a good problem for them. We ended up getting seated inside at the door closest to Dunnes and cause there was three of us, we had to constantly move and pull in to let people get in past us. They probably should have one door shut off tbh, cause there was also people coming through both doors and forming two queues.

Food was nice although got cold quickly. I had the salmon and it was ncie enough though I got a massive bone in it, and the smell of the fish seemed to overpower everything else in the restraunt. Their chunky coldslaw is amazing, although not at all chunky and they gave me three times more than I needed. We also had a cesear wrap which had absolutly no sauce or dressing in it, which meant it was dry as hell, and a lasagne which was nice but had been left out on the counter for a good five minutes between being microwaved and being delivered to the table, which meant it too went very cold, very quick.

I enjoyed it though, and the food was tasty, but think next time I'll just get the takeaway and go home with it. It was too packed with people, there was no comfort, but the food was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

It's far too small for the people they are getting in but I suppose that's a good problem for them. We ended up getting seated inside at the door closest to Dunnes and cause there was three of us, we had to constantly move and pull in to let people get in past us. They probably should have one door shut off tbh, cause there was also people coming through both doors and forming two queues.

Food was nice although got cold quickly. I had the salmon and it was ncie enough though I got a massive bone in it, and the smell of the fish seemed to overpower everything else in the restraunt. Their chunky coldslaw is amazing, although not at all chunky and they gave me three times more than I needed. We also had a cesear wrap which had absolutly no sauce or dressing in it, which meant it was dry as hell, and a lasagne which was nice but had been left out on the counter for a good five minutes between being microwaved and being delivered to the table, which meant it too went very cold, very quick.

I enjoyed it though, and the food was tasty, but think next time I'll just get the takeaway and go home with it. It was too packed with people, there was no comfort, but the food was nice.

Did you use the toll road to get to it? ****ing expensive isn't it? :pac::p

• Advertisement

Ok lads, keep it out of this topic. There's already two basically to discuss it :P

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Considering how many empty units are in South Gate, it was a crazy idea to pick this one I think. The space is far too small with the centre table alone taking up to much room.

It strikes me that the owners of the complex probably want to try and fill out the front of the shopping center to make it look more active (and that's working). Just I agree the place would benefit from being located in one of the bigger or better shaped spaces...

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

gonker wrote: »
    Went to Tangos again the other night for my birthday. Was fab as usual. Was talking to the manager and he said business was picking up again thank God.
    My daughter is going to La Pizzeria for a birthday party. Any idea of prices is it very expensive?
    The pizzeria is one of my favourite restaurants. Cheap and cheerful. You really can't go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

The food was nice??
    Are you sure?
    Reading your post it sounds like the food wasn't nice at all! :confused:

CPL 593H

It was nice. Not amazing, not even great. It was nice. In that I'd rate the place a 6/10.

The problems were generally only minor in terms of the food and what negatives there were was outweighed somewhat by the pros. Nice is the word I've chosen. Not special, and I'll be returning to the Black Bull quickly next time I go out for lunch, but it wasn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Any reviews on the new laurences? (Darby o'gills) :rolleyes:

Apparently,a chef from the black bull is there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Any reviews on the new laurences? (Darby o'gills) :rolleyes:

Apparently,a chef from the black bull is there now.

Hasnt opened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Dont go near it, its filth. just back from it and its the worst food ive ever forced down, even now the after taste is still there.
    Any place that microwaves its food over and over again is disgusting. soggy chips and the gravy is just brown with water. tastes like nothing. If there is in fact a chef from the black bull there, they must have been sacked.

Ill never go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Was in Bru last night - was very nice! Portions were huge (they seem to be more generous mid-week), I had the special - southern fried chicken breast. It had three huge pieces of chicken on the plate. Couldn't eat it all, have the leftovers at home in the fridge :D The staff were lovely. The only downside was the chips, it said on the menu "thick cut chips", they were wedges, humungous wedges at that! And very little flavour off them, they need to bring back the humble chip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 dubdee

I've always loved this thread and used to contribute regularly before I had a baby and now don't get to eat out as much :)

However I had to post a recommendation for Cosmos on Trinity Street. We went to try it out but I think chose badly because we were not familiar with Korean food the first time but it was good. We went back a second time, this time with my brother & his family (he worked in Asia and can be hard to please with asian food in Ireland). We let big bro do the ordering for everyone and mostly went for the Korean Barbeque menu, which is cooked at the table. Everything we had was delicious - especially the pork belly eaten in a lettuce leaf with a couple of soya/chilli sauces and garlic slices. For 5 adults and two children including a couple of beers each, the bill came to €160 and we were all stuffed! Can't argue with that.

As its close to home we ordered take away last week and again we were really pleased. We ordered lots of bits & pieces and liked the Korean dumplings and vegetable rice rolls and a hot chicken dish with lots of peanuts in it.

I'd love to see this place do well - the staff are lovely and its been newly renovated. Give it a go and have the Korean Barbeque - it's fun cooking your own food at the table & mixing the flavours. I see they are doing a lunch special for €6.50 also.

Would be interested to hear what others think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Not sure what they charged you for the kids but nearly 30 quid a head for one course of food you had to cook yourself seems on the dear side, no?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

jaffas have changed there menu

no more chilli melt :(

i ordered the closest thing, the chilli wedges but it was a different chilli, my fave lunch in the town is gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

Rossin wrote: »
    jaffas have changed there menu

no more chilli melt :(

i ordered the closest thing, the chilli wedges but it was a different chilli, my fave lunch in the town is gone :(

What??!!! I'll have to find somewhere else to go when going for lunch now. Only reason I went to Jaffa was the Chilli Melt! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

markc1184 wrote: »
    What??!!! I'll have to find somewhere else to go when going for lunch now. Only reason I went to Jaffa was the Chilli Melt! :(
    I'm a big fan of Jaffas, but I've never noticed this on the menu. Have I missed something?

I usually go for the 'waistwatchers' chicken, bacon lettuce and ranch sauce in pitta.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

What have they added onto the menu? Anything interesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

i only ever really ordered the chilli melt so i wouldnt really look at it but my friend said the only difference was a few things were taken off it, maybe someone else can verify this...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dubdee

furiousox wrote: »
    Not sure what they charged you for the kids but nearly 30 quid a head for one course of food you had to cook yourself seems on the dear side, no?

Forgot to mention we had a few beers as well. Kids ate courses from BBQ. Honestly there was a LOT of food for the money - I was expecting a bigger bill. Also the staff can cook at the table for you if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Re the chilli melt in Jaffas - I hope you people who are p*ssed off mentioned it to the staff in there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Folks, I've got word of a restaurant dealpage that has focused on Drogheda restaurants, a bit like living social and groupon etc. Its http://www.menuplease.ie/discounts/ and I have signed up and made a purchase of a Black Bull €30 voucher for €15. I can't find much info about them online so presume its only new enough but the Black Bull is a good spot to go with delly jr. so thought I'd bite. There is a referral bit in the signup so if your feeling generous pop in the name 'delly' and I think I get some loyalty points.

/Disclaimer, just to say no association with the site etc. etc., if your dog ends up on the roof as a result of signing up, 'tis nothing to do with me.

Advertisement