Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

Re the chilli melt in Jaffas - I hope you people who are p*ssed off mentioned it to the staff in there

i mentioned it to the waiter alright, she just confirmed my worst fears and then said some burger is gone off it as well, ah well, ill go back in a few months to see if its back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

I'm a big fan of Jaffas, but I've never noticed this on the menu. Have I missed something?

I usually go for the 'waistwatchers' chicken, bacon lettuce and ranch sauce in pitta.

Most definitely!! It was half a baguette topped with chilli mince and then smothered in cheddar cheese and put under the grill for a while. It came with either wedges or fries. It was a lovely lunch, but not to everyone's liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

if your dog ends up on the roof as a result of signing up, 'tis nothing to do with me.

If your dog ends up on the roof its liable to be painted. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Just back from the salthouse. Its no wonder it's the top rated Resteraunt in town!
    Food was savage! Host is amazing. Atmosphere is flawless. And the price is worth it.

If you've never been you'r missing out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

I know it's not a restaurant or even a coffee shop, but I have to give a mention to the Fisherman's Catch fish shop down in Clogher. Went in on Saturday to get some fish and got a cup of their seafood chowder! It is delicious and I normally don't like seafood chowder but this was lovely! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

just moved to drogheda recently, looking for a decent place to take my GF for a meal this weekend.....any suggestions??

also any suggestions for a decent spot for post dinner drinks would be welcome...
    have heard about easternseaboard but not sure?

thanks in advance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Salthouse on John street is great fun on the weekends, great food, live music and a bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Quick heads up that Dominos Pizza are doing the €10 for any size any pizza offer again now.

I think they are doing it every now and then these days, so now when we ring them, we always ask if they have this deal on, and been lucky a few times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Got a take away from Ming Garden last Friday and I have to admit the curry was horrid. I say this as the biggest fan of the MG out there; I've been going to them every week for years now. But the curry was horrible, as if it had been literally watered down. Rotten. Hoping it was just a once off problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Got a take away from Ming Garden last Friday and I have to admit the curry was horrid. I say this as the biggest fan of the MG out there; I've been going to them every week for years now. But the curry was horrible, as if it had been literally watered down. Rotten. Hoping it was just a once off problem.

We used to get take away from there, but have switched to Peony in the Bryanstown Centre. I used to find sometimes MG was getting a bit hit and miss, particularly if they were busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

HotWoks in Aston Village/Termon Abbey is tasty and worth a visit for all you chinese food lovers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

i love ming but would never get anything out of it on a saturday nitre tis just rotten....but king of kings is good, Kung Po chicken tis my favourite of all time!!!

I've been getting stuff out of Ming on Saturdays for years now. In the last four weeks, we've been getting it on a Friday so it doesn't clash with X Factor and Doc Who :o

I like Peony, but my Dad doesn't. He once got really sick after eating there and swore never to eat their food again. Of course, the full bottle of wine he drank singlehandidly may have had something to do with it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

I've been getting stuff out of Ming on Saturdays for years now. In the last four weeks, we've been getting it on a Friday so it doesn't clash with X Factor and Doc Who :o

I like Peony, but my Dad doesn't. He once got really sick after eating there and swore never to eat their food again. Of course, the full bottle of wine he drank singlehandidly may have had something to do with it :P

I'm the same as your dad. Got a take away from Peony one evening and myself and the OH were in bits for the rest of the weekend after it. Haven't been back since. Although anyone else I know that has eaten from Peony has not had any problems.

Love the fillet of beef curry from King of Kings.

The only thing that ever annoyed me about Peony was a dish I got a month or so ago, it was described as bbq chicken in garlic & chilli but when I got it home it was full of cashew nuts - I can't stand nuts so I got quite annoyed, particularly as there was no mention of it containing nuts on the menu and it was FULL of them.

Rather than go hungry I swapped it with whetever my OH got. He said it tasted lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

We tried 'The Noodle Box' for take-away last night. Everything was delicious, and the the Singapore chow mien was not overly oily and tasted nice. Teriyaki box was okay, but not exceptional - a bit salty even. Be warned though - their 'boxes' hold way more food than they look they do. Really massive portions for €7.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Chubi

Was in the new restaurant in The Westcourt on Saturday night and we were well impressed!! They've done a lovely job on the decor, staff very attentive and friendly and food was beautiful.

Had the wings & crab claws to start, followed by ribeye steak and a very tasty chicken dish. Would have been a reasonable bill except for the fact we had 2 bottles of wine and 2 (delicious) cocktails...don't judge, we were celebrating :)

Even with the obscene amount of alcohol the bill was just over €110 which I thought was very good. Will definitely be back.

I'd also second a previous recommendation for Mary's Market Cafe up by the cinema. Lovely breakfast and the Philly Cheese Steak is one of my favourites!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

On Friday last we popped into the Salthouse for a quick bite... Now I have eaten there before and the food is good, not mindblowing but it's nice.
    However we ended up getting 2 pasta dinners for ourselves and for out 4 yr old...
    a small plate of pasta with sweetcorn and an applejuice. €36 for the whole lot...
    how much did they charge us for the kids food??? 9EURO!!! 9 FRICKING EUROS!
    It only dawned on us after we have left and were in a hurry... but that is a scandalous price to ask for what we got!!
    won't be going there again....

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

I used love the Salthouse but I do find prices are rising a bit much. I ordered beans and toast for my kid one day and was charged for the beans, sausage and chips kids meal which was more expensive.
    How on earth was the kids food 9 euro? There's usually a kids menu around 4.50 or 5 euro? Also you have to be vocal about mentioning when a mistake is made :D

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

D rog wrote: »
    There's usually a kids menu around 4.50 or 5 euro? Also you have to be vocal about mentioning when a mistake is made :D
    I know I do!
    and I plant to go back there... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Marunchak

I was in West 29 last night and I have to say it was amazing. The food & service were fab and the prices were really good value. They have a great Tapas offering (with a selection of 3 for €9.50!) but loads of main stream dishes as well. Its a bit hard to find as its within the Westcourt Hotel. Not sure when it opened but it must be the best kept secret in town. Can't wait to go back and try it again. Hope they can keep up their good standard. Has anyone else been there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭furiousox

:rolleyes:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

129103984108158465.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭gipi

Have had a couple of takeaways from Mo's in Bryanstown in recent weeks. Because I'm allergic to fish, my choices are limited, so I went for the ribs and fries both times.

The ribs were plentiful, cooked just right, and the sauce was delish! (I believe they're the same as those served in the Eastern SeaBoard, but as I haven't eaten there yet, I can't confirm!).

The fries were a decent portion, crispy and tasting of real potato. First time I felt they were a bit grease/oil-heavy (as another poster said, maybe the oil wasn't hot enough), but the second time they were much crispier and not so oily.

They sprinkle some sort of salt on them - doesn't taste like ordinary salt, seems to be flavoured with a spice? Nice though, whatever it is!

Must try the chicken next time....the only other option I can have from the mains menu (there are some light bites too, but not many options there either!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Marunchak

:o Oops, Sorry if I sounded over enthusiastic. I'm not a native of Drogheda but I've eaten out there a fair bit. I don't like to give negative reviews and I usually only put in a review if I'm pleasantly surprised. That was definitely the case with West 29 last night. I would have expected to pay a lot more for what I got! The other restaurant that I would highly recommend as being really good food and service with great value prices is Antica Toscana. I have eaten there a few times since they opened and the food has always been great and wine prices reasonable. Lets hope they keep up their standard and keep down their prices!

Marunchak wrote: »
    :o Oops, Sorry if I sounded over enthusiastic. I'm not a native of Drogheda but I've eaten out there a fair bit. I don't like to give negative reviews and I usually only put in a review if I'm pleasantly surprised.

Its cool if you are genuine. Its just always suspicious to see someone sign up with the sole intention of posting a glowing review of something. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

went to jaffas with my mam and kids last week and it was pure muck, the usual .chef wasnt on.

the girl taking our order could not understand english so we were of to a bad start with having to repeat several times our order.

then meal came toasty sambos for kids were burnt toast and cheese not melted, my mam had chicken pie that was too salty and i had lasagne

all our chips were undercooked soggy and oily.

never had a complaint before in the place before and was sooo disappointed. when we complained about food we were not even offered to have them replaced. so they were just left for the bin

the regular chef i would normally see was not there

wont be going back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 vvvooo

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Just back from the salthouse. Its no wonder it's the top rated Resteraunt in town!
    Food was savage! Host is amazing. Atmosphere is flawless. And the price is worth it.
    it is good, you are right, its my favourite too.

Quality wrote: »
    went to jaffas with my mam and kids last week and it was pure muck, the usual .chef wasnt on.

the girl taking our order could not understand english so we were of to a bad start with having to repeat several times our order.

then meal came toasty sambos for kids were burnt toast and cheese not melted, my mam had chicken pie that was too salty and i had lasagne

all our chips were undercooked soggy and oily.

never had a complaint before in the place before and was sooo disappointed. when we complained about food we were not even offered to have them replaced. so they were just left for the bin

the regular chef i would normally see was not there

wont be going back.

I haven't been to Jaffas since Bia opened, except for the odd sambo from the takeaway on Dyer St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I haven't been to Jaffas since Bia opened, except for the odd sambo from the takeaway on Dyer St.

Those sambos are amazing. :D
    Triple decker with extra cheese FTW!

Advertisement