Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

Really nice indian restaurant called Indus in Bryanstown Drogheda. They have an upstairs bit that would prob hold 30 people. You could head into town after. Maybe Barrocco for drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Bru is the best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dagb20

BBF wrote: »
    Thanks for that! We don't mind keeping dinner and drinks to two seperate places either so if anyone has a strong recommend for food would be great!! :D
    Like others mention Bru can cater for food and drinks. Food is cheap and cheerful.
    Indus (indian restaurant) also have a cocktail bar upstairs which is pretty good too. So they can also do food and drinks.
    Lots of different restaurants and bars around the town. Barroccos, Bru or McPhails would be good bars for your group all in the town centre.
    Loads of Chinese or Italian restuarants also if you fancied them.
    D'Vine is a nice restaurant, lovely food, just across from Bru and a couple of minutes from all the other good bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭positron

Eastern Sea Board also have a few taps, but again, they are all on Bryanstown Village, which means you may need transport to get into anywhere else later in the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭furiousox

Seaboard reviewed today in the 'Day & Night' section of the Indo.
    Positive review overall, a few minor complaints.
    All you ESB lovers can read it here....:)

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/day-and-night/refuel-good-catch-2399541.html

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Capail

Scholars Hotel up by the old tech was the best meal I have had in a long time. Myself and my girlfriend had booked in on the second sitting on Saturday night. We were in the restaurant at about 9:35 a bit late to be eating but it was an experience to remember. The food was fantastic, it was not cheap but not overly expensive reflecting on the quality of the meal. My girlfriend had the free-range chicken breast and it was visually impressive and very tasty. (must note that it was a supreme of chicken skin on, not like one of these chemically enhanced unhealthy breasts of chicken like I have eaten before in Drogheda.) I had the 20oz Tbone. ....... Phenomenal. I had no room for dessert so my girlfriend had some of their home made ice cream down in the bar while i had a couple of beers. Great craic down in the bar. Love all the pics around the place. Plenty of celebs have been through the doors. seems as if the elite of the towns local haunt. They have a set menu 3 course for €27.50 which my girlfriend was on. my steak was expensive at €29 but I cant expect any less for a tbone I think most places would be the same kinda price. €90 for 2 of us was not bad mind you my girlfriend is a cheap date, does not drink much. The owner let us leave the car over night, it was lashing rain and he walked us out under his umbrella to the taxi..... where would you get it. ESB has a serious competition if they want to stay up with the standard of this place.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭muckyprawn

I have been to Scholars twice....and it's been a while since! The last time I went my girlfriend's mother ordered a chicken dish which came out very pink!! Very disappointed with it over that. Great surroundings though...

Capail wrote: »
    seems as if the elite of the towns local haunt

Thanks for the warning! :D

Capail wrote: »
    Scholars Hotel up by the old tech was the best meal I have had in a long time. Myself and my girlfriend had booked in on the second sitting on Saturday night. We were in the restaurant at about 9:35 a bit late to be eating but it was an experience to remember. The food was fantastic, it was not cheap but not overly expensive reflecting on the quality of the meal. My girlfriend had the free-range chicken breast and it was visually impressive and very tasty. (must note that it was a supreme of chicken skin on, not like one of these chemically enhanced unhealthy breasts of chicken like I have eaten before in Drogheda.) I had the 20oz Tbone. ....... Phenomenal. I had no room for dessert so my girlfriend had some of their home made ice cream down in the bar while i had a couple of beers. Great craic down in the bar. Love all the pics around the place. Plenty of celebs have been through the doors. seems as if the elite of the towns local haunt. They have a set menu 3 course for €27.50 which my girlfriend was on. my steak was expensive at €29 but I cant expect any less for a tbone I think most places would be the same kinda price. €90 for 2 of us was not bad mind you my girlfriend is a cheap date, does not drink much. The owner let us leave the car over night, it was lashing rain and he walked us out under his umbrella to the taxi..... where would you get it. ESB has a serious competition if they want to stay up with the standard of this place.:)

You joined boards just to tell us all that?
    Wow, thanks!

CPL 593H

My first post was on Drogheda restaurant reviews as well!!
    It's the first one that comes up when you do a google search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

furiousox wrote: »
    You joined boards just to tell us all that?
    Wow, thanks!

I was thinking the exact same thing. Reminds me of a review of a hotel on tripadvisor in Clare....got a bit of press coverage recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Waterside Inn Termonfeckin (flynns)
    For sunday evening tea,sirloin steak onions,peas and homemade chips with pepper sauce for myself,house special burger with F.fried onions homemade chips and side salad for mrs,half main course pasta for the wee man,with one pint,small bottle of wine and mineral for himself ............total bill €37.50.
    The food was fab simple as that!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭muckyprawn

I was talking to a friend who had been to scholars recently for a party...they said that the portions were very poor...they had also brought thier own cake. When a member of the party asked for a knife to cut the cake the staff were very reluctant to bring one out and asked if they wanted it just for a photo with the cake! Apparently they charge 5 euro per head to serve you your own cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

muckyprawn wrote: »
    I was talking to a friend who had been to scholars recently for a party...they said that the portions were very poor...they had also brought thier own cake. When a member of the party asked for a knife to cut the cake the staff were very reluctant to bring one out and asked if they wanted it just for a photo with the cake! Apparently they charge 5 euro per head to serve you your own cake!

I do agree with them charging to serve the cake, there is a cost to Scholars, though €5 is a bit steep. Last time I was there (a long time ago now) I thought the portions were miserable. I wasn't mad on the 'over' attentiveness either. On the other hand some people rave about the place.

I'd like to recommend the Triple House in Termonfeckin. Living locally, it's an easy option for us but it's also a thoroughly reliable, excellent value for money place to eat. The food is extremely well cooked, nicely presented, and delicious. Their potatoes, cooked in a small cast iron pan, are "to-die-for" - if I could work out the recipe, and believe me, I've tried, I'd patent it. The wine is well priced, and the service is good without ever making you feel uncomfortable. We like the dependability of the Triple House; some may say it's a bit behind the times and the place is a bit quirky, but we like it and you get, as I said, excellent food for a great price.

+ 1 For Triple house also very good value for money,limited but good menu,wine from 12/14 e per bottle for house wine,old style charm and service but overall excellent value.

Hadn't been to Woks Cookin Chinese takeaway for a while but with the snow in December it was the easiest to get to.

The do a Mon-Thurs €10 deal - you get:

A spring roll
    A choice of spare ribs, chicken wings (and another choice I can't remember)
    or Soup
    Plus a main course (beef, chicken etc) with rice, fried rice etc.

Great value considering a main course costs about €8 with fried rice.

And woks is located?

moonshadow wrote: »
    And woks is located?

Wheaton Hall Shopping Centre, just off the Dublin Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bob1981

Agreed. Triple House in Termonfeckin is a quality place for food at popular prices. Enjoyed it immensely, the last time I was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

I went to Eastern Seaboard bar and grill for the first time at the weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Great food, very pleasant staff. My only complaint would be that it's a bit cramped for my liking. All in all though it was a great night, the barbecue ribs were possibly the nicest I've had. Will definitely go back again.

I have a wee confession to make. I despised hoards of people coming to this thread praising Eastern Sea Board. Every time it was ebs great, esb delicious, esb great portions etc.

The truth is, after being to ESB yet another time last week, they are all actually honest and I was being a bit jealous, or cynical even. After all, it is hard to believe such a true success story bang in the middle of the country falling apart around us with Brian Nero fiddling his ego. Its just a fact that now I have to come to accept. They are good, really good infact. Good food, good location, good choices, good service, and packed, obviosly! I had to eat at the bar last sunday around 2pm because they were full! We both had salads and both dishes were beautiful and delicious and good portions as usual. It was not cheap, compare to say Bia, but it's a different type of eating outt anyway.

Well done to who ever is behind ESB, long last their good fame, service and business!

Did you see them pulling down the 12ft christmas tree in the middle of lunch?
    Who's bright idea was that?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

I must be the only people that doesnt like eastern seaboard. I remember going when it opened and it was fantastic. Didnt go for a while, went round this time last year and it was nice. The last 3 times ive gone it hasnt been nice. Has there been a change in chef?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

The last time I went to ESB I got the pork and it was a bit dry, but I cannot fault anything else on the plate, the sides were delicious and the starter of chicken wings were great.

I do think it is the nicest restaurant for a treat in Drogheda.

We tried take away from the new(-ish) Indian restaurant in Dyer street, I think they are called Saffron (or Saffron something), and were recommended highly by couple of friends who checked out their great value yet very tasty buffet lunch.

The food we got was actually pretty good. OH's favorites, both Korma and kashmiri/peshawari (sweet) naan turned out to be close to the best she has ever tasted, and Chicken biriyani was pretty scrumptious too. Their chicken pakora starters were okay, nothing exceptional. The prices were good by Indian standards. Not bad over all - more choice is a great thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

positron wrote: »
    We tried take away from the new(-ish) Indian restaurant in Dyer street, I think they are called Saffron (or Saffron something), and were recommended highly by couple of friends who checked out their great value yet very tasty buffet lunch.

The food we got was actually pretty good. OH's favorites, both Korma and kashmiri/peshawari (sweet) naan turned out to be close to the best she has ever tasted, and Chicken biriyani was pretty scrumptious too. Their chicken pakora starters were okay, nothing exceptional. The prices were good by Indian standards. Not bad over all - more choice is a great thing!

They have done away with the buffet. :(
    Shame as I really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fed16

bella atina - decent service, terrible atmosphere (cold and empty), food average at best and very overpriced

salthouse - excellent food, charismatic waiter/waitresses, good atmosphere, worth the money

esb - good food, service fluctuates alot - depends who you get, the menus wreck my head though - trying to be hip with flip charts but it just annoying and confusing. sort it out esb

sorrentos- ****e, better off popping in next door for a fried egg and chips...totally overpriced.

black bull- good service, average - good food (depending on your choice of meal), sometimes too busy, more of a pub than a restaurant

I ain't a tightass when I say some of those are overpriced...just expect more when you are out for a nice meal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

visited sorrentos for the 1st time last week and was quite surprised.

2x3 course meals and 2 cokes €45

Food was nice too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

First time posting here

Finally went to the esb and have to agree with most things said here. It was lovely, we both got steak and a desert and it was around 55 euro so that was grand. The only thing I would have againist it is the desert menu is not the best.

Got a take away from that new Itialian where Bella Atina used to be and wont be going back!! Ordered two pasta dishs, one garlic bread and one can of coke and it came to 34 euro. The garlic bread was the size of a pizza and it was the nicest i have had but the pastas were just alright and one of them had a hair in it. I know that can happen anywhere but 34 euro for a takeaway is just to dear, the same in sorrentos would probably be around 22-24 and would be just as nice.

Advertisement