Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Went to Quay 4 last night for the first time.

Menu in the window was a good start, I like to know what I'm getting!

It was early enough on a Friday evening and it was quiet, only 2 other tables occupied. I think they're just a little bit off the beaten track to be busy without building a reputation.

We weren't overly hungry so decided not to have starters, even though they all sounded delicious - crab claws, baby back ribs were the ones that got my mouth watering.

For main course I had sirloin steak on a stone, the steak comes out practically raw on a hot stone and it cooks to your liking. Really well presented as well, it came out on a big wooden slab, on the stone, 3 choices of sauce, garlic butter, blue cheese (mouth watering) and pepper sauce. Also real home made chips, mushrooms and onions.

OH had the cajun chicken burger which he said was delish, he also had a taste of my steak and decided thats what he was having the next time we visit.

We shared a dessert of a baileys cheesecake as well which was lovely and again really well presented.

Staff seemed nice as well, I think it was the owner, with one other waitress, very attentive without being over the top.

For the food and 2 cokes, the bill was only €41 which was very reasonable for the food we ate. Will definately be returning - and making sure I have room to try the starters next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭gipi

Where is Quay 4, borderlinemeath, haven't heard of it?

During the snowy weather (when I needed comfort food!), I called into the new chipper in Wheaton Hall (Borza's). My favourite "chipper food" is southern fried chicken (snack box or the like), and I must say that Borza's version was very tasty and not swimming in grease! Decent piece of chicken (I had the chicken breast), and the chips were lovely too - tasted like real chips!

Haven't tried their burgers yet, which will be the true test of a chipper!

Its on Wellington Quay - just down past Bru, near to the Apache Pizza take away. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Gonna try quay 4 tonight :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Quay 4 was ,lovely and reasonable too.

We both got garlic mushrooms and 8oz fillet steaks. Very nice.

The mushrooms were very big with cheese in them on top of garlic mayo. Very tastey

The steak and chips were lovely too.

The guy workin there went on to explain to me about the stone, will defo get it next time.

2 Garlic Mushooms
    2 8oz steaks with chips, mushrooms, onions, pepper sauce and garlic butter,
    Sparkling water, a 7up

€54

Im impressed :o

• Advertisement

One thing about the stone if you're going to get it - I'm quite a slow eater so needed a separate plate for when my meat was cooked to my liking (medium rare) otherwise it would overcook as there wasn't enough room on my plate along with the chips, mushrooms and onions.

No problem if you're a fast/normal eater or eat your steak medium/well done!

Mouth watering now, I might pop in tonight or tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JamesMM

harobed wrote: »
    here are my personal faves

Punjabi house - Dublin Rd, excellent Indian food, you can bring own wine, gets busy fri / sat nites, good prices too.

Food is mediocre bordering on its not Indian food. Sorry but the presented food was not cooked to the same standard as I have experienced in other Indian Restaruants. There is no bar which doesnt help and to top it off its expensive for what you get. They need to travel to the Curry City of Birmingham and see how they do it there. The best food in Drogheda I found was at Scholars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭furiousox

Always enjoyed a meal anytime I've been there.
    Get regular take-aways from them too which are always good.
    Not sure what you mean by no bar?
    I know they sell cobra beer, not sure about wine and spirits.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gerhard

First time posting here but went to Pizzicato on the quays where Bella Atina was & can only say it was gorgeous, we both got starters, main course, dessert, tea/coffee, & was very reasonable. Im sorry but i cant agree with m.j.w you get quality food there & im all ready looking forward to going back. pints of Heineken went down very well too ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

gerhard wrote: »
    First time posting here but went to Pizzicato on the quays where Bella Atina was & can only say it was gorgeous, we both got starters, main course, dessert, tea/coffee, & was very reasonable. Im sorry but i cant agree with m.j.w you get quality food there & im all ready looking forward to going back. pints of Heineken went down very well too ;-)

The food was grand imo but when you pay a bit extra for food you expect it to be better than anywhere else and it wasnt. And 12 euro for a pasta is not resonable. Sorrentos is 8.50 and bella atina used to be 9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

that quay 4 sounds great guys.... keep them coming guys....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Was in Harrys for Sunday lunch. Really small menu, overcooked food, mediocre service and very disappointing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

JamesMM wrote: »
    . The best food in Drogheda I found was at Scholars.

It's overall very good but last time I was there they had minute steak on the menu. Very hard to take someone seriously when they serve up a bit of meat you would think twice about giving to a dog.....

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

I was in Quay 4 recently.

The layout and decor of the restaurant is gorgeous.

Had steak on the stone which was impressively displayed. I later found out they have the exact same set-up in the Mint Leaf in Dunboyne. Anyway my starter of mushrooms was nice, a little overcooked perhaps for me but still tasty. The mains was well presented and very tasty and the desert of apple pie and ice cream was simply delicious.

Overall a nice experience :)

m.j.w wrote: »
    The food was grand imo but when you pay a bit extra for food you expect it to be better than anywhere else and it wasnt. And 12 euro for a pasta is not resonable. Sorrentos is 8.50 and bella atina used to be 9

The takeaway menu is 10 euro for pasta dish unless you added extra to your order. I took a take away menu with me & am looking at it now. I also had the Garlic bread Pizza style & it was gorgeous & for 6 euro it was the size of a 14 inch pizza. You cant go wrong. Maybe you should try it again because I couldnt fault it... Just my opinion

Kind Regards

G

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Tried to book Eastern Seaboard for Saturday night today and was told that all the tables are booked out, that I could have a high table.. Eh No thanks.

so tried to get a table for Friday night. and they didnt have one available until a late sitting,

Weekend tables get booked weeks ahead seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭goodgolfer64

must try a few ones of those quay 4 never tried it!!!
    reading through all the posts....thought more people comment positively on the monasterboice inn?? read one person says it had poor service....???if thats the case it wouldnt do 300-500 meals on a saturday night??? it has the best steak in leinster (possibly ireland) bar none.... id love for someone to tell me otherwise!!! can be little pricey but well worth it...
    big fan too of the diner/away in navan called the valley....the most amazing chips n burgers....golden oil in those friers

Quality wrote: »
    Tried to book Eastern Seaboard for Saturday night today and was told that all the tables are booked out, that I could have a high table.. Eh No thanks.

so tried to get a table for Friday night. and they didnt have one available until a late sitting,

Weekend tables get booked weeks ahead seemingly.

Dont get the whole eastern seaboard buzz. The menu to me is all over the place, average food at average prices. Seems to me it attracts those who like to be seen to be at the seaboard rather than for its actual quality of food. Decent stuffbut imo far better is to be had around drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Dont get the whole eastern seaboard buzz. The menu to me is all over the place, average food at average prices. Seems to me it attracts those who like to be seen to be at the seaboard rather than for its actual quality of food. Decent stuffbut imo far better is to be had around drogheda.

Where preytell ?

moonshadow wrote: »
    Where preytell ?

Food in both the salthoue and quay 4 is nicer cheaper and not as pretentious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Dont' agree ESB is pretentious at all! It's a venue for young and old and children alike. There isn'tany dress code and it's a really relaxed and casual affair. Theres a great buzz that a lot of restaurants dont have. Having the atmosphere is just as important as the food. ESB luckily has both.

Anyway.....Just wanted to say that I went to Indus last night after a long absence. Superb quality and great service and venue. We got the early bird which was 2 courses for 14.95 and including drinks and extras we got a meal for 3 people for €65! The malai chicken was tender and packed full of flavour. Mouth watering stuff with a lovley sauce and chunks of pineapple served on a banana leaf! Top marks for a well presented and great starter.

The mains were really tasty. I had the korma which was thick and creamy but not rich at all. Companions had rogan Josh (bit of a kick!) and the karai which were both equally great.

All agreed that it will get another visit. Has anyone any experience of the upstairs piano bar? Seems like a really great place to hang out with a beer. Would it be good on a sat night? any feedback appreciated...cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good italien in Drogheda? I know that the town seems to be filled with nothing but Italien but no idea where to go. We normally go to Sorrentos but would like to try somewhere different. Have left a voicemail with D'vine for a table tomorrow night but the OH isn't too fond of them. Has anyone tried the new Bella Atina on Shop street or the new place, Pizzicato? Hoping to go tomorrow night cos we have Thursday work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good italien in Drogheda? I know that the town seems to be filled with nothing but Italien but no idea where to go. We normally go to Sorrentos but would like to try somewhere different. Have left a voicemail with D'vine for a table tomorrow night but the OH isn't too fond of them. Has anyone tried the new Bella Atina on Shop street or the new place, Pizzicato? Hoping to go tomorrow night cos we have Thursday work :D

A mate of mine lives in Drogheda and is ALWAYS going to La Pizzeria on Peter Street. It's super Italian therefore there is a little wait between courses but that's good if you're looking for a proper meal out and not just a quick bite. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drogsnookerclub

apparently indus has closed...

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have visited pizzicato on 2-3 occasions ,once with my family and twice with the other half and i could not fault it. the food is very authentic and the pizzas are fab ! would defnitely recommend you give it a try ..

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

Lornen wrote: »
    A mate of mine lives in Drogheda and is ALWAYS going to La Pizzeria on Peter Street. It's super Italian therefore there is a little wait between courses but that's good if you're looking for a proper meal out and not just a quick bite. :)

The Pizzeria is my favourite too always great pizza and my other half loves the steak. Its closed on a Wednesday though.

Is she a vampire? ;)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

apparently indus has closed...

Heard it was due to the downturn

Hmm...indus' phones are down....

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

furiousox wrote: »
    Is she a vampire? ;)

I'm a she who can't spell :o, she's a he, I know I've picked a silly name when joining boards every name I tried was taken, my daughters Mr. Muddle book was beside the computer so I just picked that

Advertisement