Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭furiousox

Chanco's beside O'Brien's off licence is E17.50 for a four course meal with a beer or a glass of wine.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Chubi

I also love Relish in Bettystown, lovely food and great early bird menu as well. Only issue I have is the service can be a little slow and the layout of the place makes it a little difficult to get the waitresses' attention.

Anyone been to Mary's Cafe up in the Boyne Shopping Centre beside the cinema? I was very pleasantly surprised with it. They have lovely sandwiches and hot lunches - fairly reasonably priced as well! And a really nice interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭muckyprawn

All in all in my opinion there is very little to shout about the local restaurants...I have probably eaten in every single place and find very few to write home about.

At the minute I find Chans in Bettystown to be the best value at 16.50 for all you eat. Albeit chinese food that is probably pre-packed and full of the good auld MSG it's still nice...

I was in Donegans a few weeks ago and ordered "pan fried duck"...I asked the waitress if I could have it medium and she looked at me as if I had two heads. When the meal arrived the duck came out deep fried...what a waste of a piece of duck!

I find Indus very tasty, but over priced and skimpy portions, but if it's quality rather than quantity I would go there...they also do a lovely tapas menu too.

I used to go to Harry's bar and bistro every sunday with my grand father after mass and in the beginning I found it very good...that was until I ordered garlic mushrooms that had a fly in the batter and a caesar salad that had lettuce that was going black in it...I also found some of the waitresses very lazy...

All in all, if I was trying to impress some I would have to go further a field. That's just my two cents on a few restaurants that spring to mind at the min....bear in mind that's just MY opinion!!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

found myself in Drogheda killing time before a tour of Newgrange yesterday and was looking for a half decent carvery lunch - not much on offer bar the Westcourt which I'm not sure about so ended up in the Moorland for the all day fry. Are there any pubs doing sunday lunch?

Was in Quay 4 a couple of Saturdays ago and it was nice if a bit pricy for what we got

Foleys up Mell is decent enough for Sunday lunch...

• Advertisement

Sooo....finally got to D'Vine tonight.
    Rang yesterday to book a table and was offered a table at 7.30pm (which they needed back for 9.30) OR a table for 9.30pm, so we took the 7.30pm table.
    Me and Mrs ox arrived at 7.25 and were shown to a table up in the alcove on the right.
    The place was busy with most tables occupied and it was completely full by the time we left (@ 9.30..ha!)
    There was a full dinner menu and a 'specials' menu of 3 courses for 21.95.
    I went with the specials and ordered seafood chowder, rib-eye steak (E5 extra) and a baileys cheesecake.
    Mrs ox ordered chowder and bruschetta as she wasn't that hungry.
    We ordered a bottle of red wine and mrs ox also asked for a diet coke but was told that they didn't have diet coke but was offered an 'italian lemon coke' instead which she politely declined.
    Seafood chowder arrived within 10 mins and was very nice, but veggies beware, this seafood chowder contained bacon! (no complaints from me, just saying)
    Main courses arrived soon after, mrs ox was happy enough with the bruschetta.
    I have to say the (12oz) rib eye steak was very, very, good.
    I asked for medium rare and it was cooked to perfection.
    It came with some lightly fried onions, chunky fries and a small pot of pepper sauce.
    A nice enough Baileys cheescake followed, along with a cappuccino for mrs ox and an espresso for myself.
    The Italian red wine (Bacchus, around E20 I think) was very nice too.
    So, first time in the new D'Vine and I have to say I was impressed and pleasantly surprised.
    From what I've read here I wasn't expecting either great food or service but I've no complaints about what we got tonight.
    As I said, the place was completely full but there were no service issues or long gaps between courses.
    The bill for 2 chowders, 1 rib eye steak, 1 bruschetta, 1 Baileys cheesecake, 1 cappuccino, 1 espresso and a bottle of red wine was E63.
    I'll certainly go back and try it again.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭blingrhino

not exactly the hardest things to get wrong furious!-steak chips and bruscetta-glad u enjoyed it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

Mrs Positron and I checked out Bia last weekend. It's slightly awkward to get to, and requires some planning about where to park etc. Parking at Scotch Hall is probably the cheapest at the moment (€1 for 2 hours) and walking around and out of Scotch Hall, past Eddies Rockets, and finally up some really steep and somewhat dirty looking steps. However, once inside, Bia is a nice place to be. There's something nice about being able to watch life going by outside, without having to hear it - constantly moving traffic and people going in and out of St Marys church etc. Bia is a busy place in itself - full of chatter mixed in with plenty of loud noises coming from the open kitchen! Their menu is good, prices are even better. Service was prompt, and food came out in time and portions were right. Other half quickly declared her panini the best she has ever had in a while. The wrap I ordered was decent too. I would say €5 euro for a sit down lunch (and some more for drinks), is good value. Thumps up for Bia!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Peony in Bryanstown is so good. I would pick it over any chinese incl Tango to sit in and take away. Also love the black bull. A little disapointed yesterday though. Used to get a nice portion of garlic mushrooms for my starter, got 9 (what looked like button mushrooms) instead. Don't get me wrong, they tast fantastic but a euro more in dalys gets you bigger and more and same quality

Londis near BlackBull on Dublin Road is doing a meal deal - fish & chips with a bottle of coke for a fiver. I have to say the cod was lovely, and chips very chunky. Best fish and chips I have had in a while!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

positron wrote: »
    Mrs Positron and I checked out Bia last weekend. It's slightly awkward to get to, and requires some planning about where to park etc. Parking at Scotch Hall is probably the cheapest at the moment (€1 for 2 hours) and walking around and out of Scotch Hall, past Eddies Rockets, and finally up some really steep and somewhat dirty looking steps. However, once inside, Bia is a nice place to be. There's something nice about being able to watch life going by outside, without having to hear it - constantly moving traffic and people going in and out of St Marys church etc. Bia is a busy place in itself - full of chatter mixed in with plenty of loud noises coming from the open kitchen! Their menu is good, prices are even better. Service was prompt, and food came out in time and portions were right. Other half quickly declared her panini the best she has ever had in a while. The wrap I ordered was decent too. I would say €5 euro for a sit down lunch (and some more for drinks), is good value. Thumps up for Bia!

Would agree with you here. Myself and Mrs Lantus have been a few times and for a cafe style venue it does exactly what you think it will very well indeed. Portions are mighty and for a good filling can't be beaten.

Was at the eastern seaboard the other week. my fav the fillet seak with wedges and carrots, awesome. Good value and you have to book almost a week in advance to get a seat at the weekend. Even in boom times I never knew of anywhere that needed anything more than a few days of notice.

Boiled Onion has gone, shame....

Haven't been to bru for ages, must check out the 22 menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Peony in Bryanstown is so good. I would pick it over any chinese incl Tango to sit in and take away. Also love the black bull. A little disapointed yesterday though. Used to get a nice portion of garlic mushrooms for my starter, got 9 (what looked like button mushrooms) instead. Don't get me wrong, they tast fantastic but a euro more in dalys gets you bigger and more and same quality

I love peony! very nice staff, and the food is great. They had a menu for 2 for €42 i think it was. great menu.

Last time i was black bull i was very dissapointed, slow service and forgotten orders. food was alright. nothing to rave about.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HALLOW RUBY

Last time i was black bull i was very dissapointed, slow service and forgotten orders. food was alright. nothing to rave about.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HALLOW RUBY

Agree entirely about Black Bull Darksaga.

Was there last weekend, service was painfully slow and food was really poor in my opinion. Don't think I'll be hurrying back anytime soon to be honest. I was a bit surprised as it used to have a very good reputation.

Have to agree, it's nowhere near as good as it used to be.
    The food tasted like M&S microwaved meals the last time we were there.
    The BB and the Seaboard are both beside us, no contest I'm afraid.

CPL 593H

The Bru 22 menu is quite good value altough apart from the guy that seated us the service is a bit ****ty as I felt like the food was just thrown at me! As for the Oiled Bunion, I was never impressed with that place...I don't know what peolpe ever saw in it. I was in Whytes of Stamullen a few weeks ago....it was great, great menu too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭marvilly

Went to The Morning Star in Tullyallen last night.. sooo good! The food was gorgeous-real comfort food and really reasonably priced..they re doing an 'Early Bird' special for E18.95 for 3 courses and it's available all evening.. the service was really good-friendly and efficient- and the menu had something for every taste.. great wine list too..the manager recommended the Don David..great choice:) Will def be back and would recommend it to all for a cosy night.. we were there as a couple but also for families as kids eat free-a much needed addition out that part!:D

where abouts do you go in the morning star, everytime i was there it was juast a pub

where abouts do you go in the morning star, everytime i was there it was juast a pub

It was closed for a while and then reopened with new owners who started the restaurant.. you go in to the right at the front part-what used to be the lounge-and the restaurant's in there-really nice...def worth a try:)

bottomdog wrote: »
    I did not read the review, but you are right, plenty on one timers posting rave reviews on this thread.

generally people are only spurred to post a review when somewhere makes a strong impression, be it positive or negative.. from there, as you follow the thread you ll post more easily...but in fairness everyone starts with one post!!and it's a nicer sign of people who are more inclined to make their first post a good one!!

• Advertisement

Both Bia and the chipper inside Londis (on Dublin road, next to Blackbull Inn) have passed 'second visit test' in flying colours! :-)

Bia was really busy last Saturday for lunch - with some customers having to wait up to 10 minutes to get a table. With generous portions and tasty food, they are worth the wait - their homemade burger was fantastic (McD, Burger King etc should take notice and see what real burger looks and tastes like), and so was the satay chicken stir-fry noodles, of which medium portion was big enough to leave me stuffed to the gills.

The chipper at Londis by Blackbull also proved brilliant value with their €5 meal deal, which includes a 500ml bottle of coke, and portions are really good too - their chicken fillet burger were about the size of a small dog, with plenty of chips to go around.

I am loving all this good value in town these days - if there's ever a positive side to the economic situation the country is in, this could well be it...! :)

What time does egans keep their chipper open till? Wouldn't mind checkin it out

Is that what the Londis by Blackbull is called - 'egans'? If so, it's open till 10 pm.

Oh it was as far a s i know, would they keep their deli open that late or is like a lunchtime thing

They do - the man behind the counter confirmed that the chipper (and rest of the shop) is open till 10 pm every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BBF

Hi there!

Gang of women going to a hens in Drogheda early next year! Would love people's opinions on where to go for nice food and a few drinks/dancing? There will be about 25 of us and we're all in or around the 30 mark.

Thanks!!!

positron wrote: »
    They do - the man behind the counter confirmed that the chipper (and rest of the shop) is open till 10 pm every night.

Fantastic, must try it

BBF wrote: »
    Hi there!

Gang of women going to a hens in Drogheda early next year! Would love people's opinions on where to go for nice food and a few drinks/dancing? There will be about 25 of us and we're all in or around the 30 mark.

Thanks!!!

Only real place that would cater for everything would prob be bru or maybe the D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Only real place that would cater for everything would prob be bru or maybe the D

I agree Brú would be the best spot, then head upstairs for drinks afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 BBF

draffodx wrote: »
    I agree Brú would be the best spot, then head upstairs for drinks afterwards

Thanks for that! We don't mind keeping dinner and drinks to two seperate places either so if anyone has a strong recommend for food would be great!! :D

Advertisement