Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

apparently indus has closed...

That's a shame. I started this thread by giving out about Indus, but I would have liked to see them do good business - their interiors were nice and food was very good, even though poor value for money. Ah well, C'est la vie.

I wonder who's going to take up that space to setup what.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

apparently indus has closed...

Do you have any link confirming that? Saying it is closed is fine, but without a link to prove the reasoning I will have to remove the second part of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drogsnookerclub

delly wrote: »
    Do you have any link confirming that? Saying it is closed is fine, but without a link to prove the reasoning I will have to remove the second part of your post.

nope, just a few aggrieved facebook statuses, remove away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mancityman

I was in the Bru Bar two weeks ago. First time I've visited. The place was quiet but it was around 4pm on a Friday afternoon. Most of the other customers seemed to be indulging in hot beverages. Food wise I had a cajun chicken panini and french fries and the Mrs had beer battered cod and chips. Couldn't fault any of the meals. The cod was fresh and tasted delicious. My panini was stuffed with succulent chicken pieces in a lovely sauce. The chips were fresh and cooked perfectly. Both dishes came with a small mixed salad. All washed down with lattes. The service was quick and the lady who served us was pleasant enough. The bill was under 25euro including tip. I noticed they have a 3 course meal for 22euro per person after 5pm, so will try that at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

gerhard wrote: »
    I have visited pizzicato on 2-3 occasions ,once with my family and twice with the other half and i could not fault it. the food is very authentic and the pizzas are fab ! would defnitely recommend you give it a try ..

You have 3 posts on boards, 2 disagreeing with my opinions about pizzicato and now 1 suggesting it. I dont think you should be giving fake reports here! And what counts as 2-3 occasions? Did you only go for half a meal the third time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 deblen

Famous45 wrote: »
    Like yourself I lived away for a number of years till recently and havent noticed Monks any longer - supposedly jaffa's in Dyer Street next to the courts is grand for breakfast.
    jaffas is great for brekkie....and light lunches, I recently had a lovely full irish and lunch a few times.....food is great, staff are freindly and very good value...i hope they keep up the gud wurk:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Went to D'vine in the end last night. Food was lovely as usual, although OH had the seafood risotto and he said it was a bit too fishy, they must have put in fish flavouring or something. He still cleared his plate though :) The service was not up to scratch at all :( This is the third time I've been there and the third time of bad service! We were put at a table in the corner where the waitress couldn't see us and didn't seem to keen on checking. We waited for about 25 mins before anyone took our order. Then when we were finished, we waited for about another 25 mins before they came to see if we wanted dessert - we had our coats on at that stage. Still it was a nice enough evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

delly wrote: »

Facebook page says it all
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/INDUS/10150113960355111

They must have spent a fortune fitting it out. Its 18 months since I last went there. The price of the drinks was way over the top for me, that's why I stopped going. I feel sorry for all the staff, hopefully someone takes it over fairly prompt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

A bad day for Drogheda when a high quality food venue like Indus closes it's doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Lantus wrote: »
    A bad day for Drogheda when a high quality food venue like Indus closes it's doors.

Spot on. Just heard this news now. I'm devastated :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭furiousox

'Devastated' is a word that's overused nowadays.
    Personally I'd only feel devastated if one of my family died, not when a local Indian restaurant closes down.
    We only went to Indus once and our experience wasn't a good one, lazy service and average food.
    Maybe we got them on an off night, a lot of people here seemed to rate it very highly.
    I do have sympathy for the staff who have lost their jobs though and I hope somebody re-opens a restaurant there soon.

CPL 593H

+1 to the above. I was there 4-5 times over three years, and the experience was mixed. Never felt value for money though but that I could be because I was not their target clientelle, which is probably what lead to the current situation. And success of the ESB on the other hand, may have something to do with their generous portions.

Like FFox said, I hope someone else learns from this all and starts something there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I think the problem with chinese/indian restaurants is that now that people have less money in their pockets - they opt for the take out rather than a sit down meal.

When we discuss going out for dinner - we usually end up going for steak because we can get a chinese takeaway far cheaper than going for a sit down meal (even in one of the many "all you can eat" restaurants)

Getting a take out steak just isn't the same thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Whats the Chanco "all you can eat" like?

Ive gone to tangos a few times and liked it. Although the last time, about a month ago, i was very disappointed with the service. Slow and lost orders were the main things, that and waiters just walking past you as you sit there with a table full of empty plates.

positron wrote: »
    +1 to the above. I was there 4-5 times over three years, and the experience was mixed. Never felt value for money though but that I could be because I was not their target clientelle, which is probably what lead to the current situation. And success of the ESB on the other hand, may have something to do with their generous portions.

Like FFox said, I hope someone else learns from this all and starts something there soon.

+1, I posted on this thread in June 09 about cost of bottles of Cobra, I never went back after that. I also said to the manager that night. 2 beers cost more than the early bird menu :-(

I used to work away from home Monday to Friday so got to try a lot of different places around the country, I found Cork City to be one of best places for choice and value.

Hopefully someone does take it over and take on-board the reasons for failure.

Alledgedly new food place opening in Southgate in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Don't fancy going through 44 pages so hopefully no on minds me asking here -

I've been going to Carlitos in Dunleer for a good while now for meals out, I love it, the food is lovely, the price is not OTT and its a great spot in my opinion. However I want to try something different.

So where would someone recommend in Drogheda or surrounding area for a meal for two on a Saturday evening/night, cost in and around €80 for 3 course (no drinks). That serves good quality Italian/European style food?

ESB or D'Vine would be one of the most mentioned here for that type of dining.

May be someone should do a tally on this thread, I wonder if there's some clever software tool that could identify restaurant names, and make sense the sentiment and comment from what user posts. Hmm, this could be the next big challenge for IBM's Watson..! :D

PS: d'Vine seems to have lost some charm since they moved to their current location, so that's something to consider. And also remember Bía if you are looking for a more casual cafe style, yet good quality and very filling dinner.

@draffodx

Eastern Seabord or a little further a field, Relish in Bettystown (ok its Co. Meath)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Mylow wrote: »
    @draffodx

Eastern Seabord or a little further a field, Relish in Bettystown (ok its Co. Meath)

I'm a Meath man so that doesn't count against it ;)

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Advertisement

Dont get the whole eastern seaboard buzz. The menu to me is all over the place, average food at average prices. Seems to me it attracts those who like to be seen to be at the seaboard rather than for its actual quality of food. Decent stuffbut imo far better is to be had around drogheda.
    i agree dont understand all the fuss, was there for valentines and d food was average....and tables are very close

Has anyone tried the salthouse in john st. drogheda?..I've heard good reports on it...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

hi
    darver castle has a 25 euro per head 4 course. has it a view times . quite good. would love to hear other opinions about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭furiousox

deblen wrote: »
    i agree dont understand all the fuss, was there for valentines and d food was average....and tables are very close

;)

How%20very%20dare%20you%20Badge%20-%201%20Catherine%20Tate%20pin%20dvd.jpg

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Has anyone tried the salthouse in john st. drogheda?..I've heard good reports on it...:)

went there for a savoury crepe and they were really nice. Interior seemed pretty 'close' though. Couldn't imagine having an evening meal there. Possibly part of the charm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Was in there for an evening meal when it wasn't long open. Wasn't crazy about it. We just got main courses because they said they needed the table back, but then we were waiting for about an hour just for the main courses. Wasn't impressed.

That said, I heard someone who went to it last Saturday for dinner and said it was very nice. The man who owns was very nice when we were there, I just don't think it's acceptable to tell someone you need their table back then expect them to sit for an hour with no food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Whats the Chanco "all you can eat" like?

Ive gone to tangos a few times and liked it. Although the last time, about a month ago, i was very disappointed with the service. Slow and lost orders were the main things, that and waiters just walking past you as you sit there with a table full of empty plates.

Dont know what Chanco is like but I agree with you about Tangos. Xin the owner has taken time off and he has put a manager in and the service has gone to pot. Would love to be able to contact him to tell him, as he has lost so many customers to:mad: this new system.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Is the Copper Kettle any good? What kind of food do they serve?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

furiousox wrote: »
    'Devastated' is a word that's overused nowadays.
    Personally I'd only feel devastated if one of my family died, not when a local Indian restaurant closes down.

Well I'd be very devastated if a member of my family died :rolleyes:

Poor selection for Indians in Drogheda now though. Punjabi House and Garam Masala - is that it??

• Advertisement

There are a lot more Indians than that - for instance, I was at the 'Bengal Spice' at Stockwell Street (opposite to Library) recently, and although I was not there for a normal dinner (it was a birthday do), the food was very good.

Advertisement