Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I presumed the first fencing was simply marking out the boundary of the site and keeping animals and humans out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Water John wrote:
    I presumed the first fencing was simply marking out the boundary of the site and keeping animals and humans out of it.

I thought the same until I seen it up close, it's a permanent job, the wire itself is very strong and well finished, not a temporary job at all.
    That and the fact it's been used to replace sections of rail fencing on the M18, and the M7 if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

Kevwoody wrote: »
    I thought the same until I seen it up close, it's a permanent job, the wire itself is very strong and well finished, not a temporary job at all.
    That and the fact it's been used to replace sections of rail fencing on the M18, and the M7 if I recall.

Yes this new fencing type - timber post and tension mesh is now the only boundary fencing allowed by TII. Changed for safety reasons - many accidents where the timber rail has become embedded in vehicles.

Yes this new fencing type - timber post and tension mesh is now the only boundary fencing allowed by TII. Changed for safety reasons - many accidents where the timber rail has become embedded in vehicles.

Yea that makes sense. It's a tidy job when done right, it's a pity timber posts are still being used, otherwise it would outlast the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭cjpm

http://www.tiipublications.ie/library/CC-SCD-00321-02.pdf

For anyone interested in the details of the fence type.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

There seems to be some more work being done recently not far from The Mons bar where the new road is close to existing road over the last few weeks- burning of bushes/trees and the field being ploughed/prepared.

Who would be doing this work if the tender hasn't been awarded yet? Or is it related to the advance works which I thought were finished?

It's interesting to note that the yard Wills Bros had rented from a local farmer to store their equipment during the advance works is still being used by them.... Are they a shoe-in to get the tender I wonder

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Benildus wrote: »
    There seems to be some more work being done recently not far from The Mons bar where the new road is close to existing road over the last few weeks- burning of bushes/trees and the field being ploughed/prepared.

Who would be doing this work if the tender hasn't been awarded yet? Or is it related to the advance works which I thought were finished?

It's interesting to note that the yard Wills Bros had rented from a local farmer to store their equipment during the advance works is still being used by them.... Are they a shoe-in to get the tender I wonder

I've seen that work being done, I had wondered was it related to the bypass. There's also work being done at the Killarney end of Ballyvourney, is that also for the bypass do you know?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Clearance work is done before the tender is awarded, thankfully in this case because the tender will likely be awarded around May and hedgerow clearing isn't allowed during then.

There has been some substantial clearance at the Millstreet Road where the new road crosses the R582

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

I've seen that work being done, I had wondered was it related to the bypass. There's also work being done at the Killarney end of Ballyvourney, is that also for the bypass do you know?

Before The Mills as you come into the village from Killarney you mean? That's a separate site as the bypass will go to the North of Ballyvourney

The field clearance work was carried out on private ground by a local farmer.
    The work at the Killarney side is a new temporary bridge and access road constructed by Careys, for the transporting of turbines to the windfarm at the top of Croom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Roadrunner99

I see collooney/castlebaldwin and dunkettle have got funding in the budget, is it a worry that the macroom bypass hasn't been mentioned as its at the tender stage now?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I see collooney/castlebaldwin and dunkettle have got funding in the budget, is it a worry that the macroom bypass hasn't been mentioned as its at the tender stage now?

The announcement seemed to imply that the N4 and Dunkettle were being funded out of "additional" funding - N22 is already funded, so the fact it wasn't mentioned today may not be significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭imangry29

Odd they didn't mention it in the Budget as per N4, but then again it seems the N22 registers as some sort of donkey track completely unworthy of investment or PR by some of the mandarins in Dublin. N4 probably up in lights to emphasise just how much the govt cares about the NW.....

Encouragingly - the updated capital project tracker published by DPER in September has 2019 down as the start date for the Ballyvourney-Macroom scheme (previously 2020). Flipside of the same coin, the same tracker has 2018 down as the start date for the N4 scheme. Project Ireland 2040 / NDP 2018-2027 / Budget 2019 / DPER project tracker … a lot of announcements and start dates now getting very muddled.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Just replying to this post addressing all queries above.
    imangry29 wrote: »
    Odd they didn't mention it in the Budget as per N4, but then again it seems the N22 registers as some sort of donkey track completely unworthy of investment or PR by some of the mandarins in Dublin. N4 probably up in lights to emphasise just how much the govt cares about the NW.....

Encouragingly - the updated capital project tracker published by DPER in September has 2019 down as the start date for the Ballyvourney-Macroom scheme (previously 2020). Flipside of the same coin, the same tracker has 2018 down as the start date for the N4 scheme. Project Ireland 2040 / NDP 2018-2027 / Budget 2019 / DPER project tracker … a lot of announcements and start dates now getting very muddled.

The N4 project should start before Christmas. The N22 project won't have a tender award until mid 2019, so there will be signifcantly more money spent on the N4 in 2019 as it'll be underway for the full year whereas the N22 only starts mid next year. N22 also has a 3 year timeframe whereas the N4 should be open for Xmas 2020.

It also doesn't help that the Minister for Transport doesn't care about any of this and there is no real leadership behind the departmental activities, and TII don't have the same platform.

I see minister michael creed on his facebook page saying that this scheme will be put out to tender this month (October) and that there will be a contractor in place by the spring with a start next year but wasn't this already put out to tender in late april?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

It was put out to tender in April but that was to prequalify the tenderers. Next phase will be to design/tender

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

KOR101 wrote: »
    Would that mean mid 2019 start?

Yes he said second half of next year with 3 year's of build time.

Truckermal wrote: »
    Yes he said second half of next year with 3 year's of build time.
    Thanks for that. I took 'some time in 2019' as a given before this, so was just wondering whether this was a concrete indication of a start date well in advance of the end of year.

• Advertisement

Great news. Can the thread title be updated to At Tender, has a nice ring to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

At last the end is in sight for this project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

At last the end is in sight for this project.

Until the last road marking is painted and the champagne has flowed then I'd worry always, things are moving closer yes but it should have built 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It would have been built 20 years ago only some businesses in Macroom didn't want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

theguzman wrote: »
    Until the last road marking is painted and the champagne has flowed then I'd worry always, things are moving closer yes but it should have built 10 years ago.

10 years ago? i first heard on this being mooted in 1999 and even then plans were already afoot for it, i just never imagined it would take the best part of 25 years for it to become reality. Other parts of Cork are another issue.

As for the champagne, will yourself, myself, Marno21 & Truckermal meet at the official ceremony and cut the ribbon after a few bottles of the stuff (Alcohol free version of course) :pac::pac::pac:

Any definate date to when the contractor will be appointed? Here's hoping it will take off before the end of next year now a lot of people won't believe it's happening until they see action on the ground. Glad it's nearly there now tho.

Any definate date to when the contractor will be appointed? Here's hoping it will take off before the end of next year now a lot of people won't believe it's happening until they see action on the ground. Glad it's nearly there now tho.
    Well someone has renamed the thread 'Mid 2019 Start'. Someone here must know typical time between tender being issued and work starting. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The engineering firm for the project were appointed a long time ago and have already started some preliminary works.

I'd imagine there will be a lot of contractor's appointed for the various works early in the new year.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

KOR101 wrote: »
    Well someone has renamed the thread 'Mid 2019 Start'. Someone here must know typical time between tender being issued and work starting. Anyone?

Typically for a D&B you are looking at 4 months tender period minimum as the bidders and their designers will have to develop the design in enough detail so that they can price it accurately. So that would be the end of April, when tenders are back, this is a v tricky scheme so more likely mid May.

Tender verification can take time I would say at least a month. The prequal docs on etenders indicate 70/30 price/qaulity as the award criteria. Therefore an independent assessment board required for the quality assessment. All going well say end of June.

However this will have to go to govt for final sign off before the tender is awarded. Bear in mind The N4 Collooney Castlebaldwin hasn't been awarded yet. I understand tenders are back since late summer. Reading between the lines it looks like the price is over budget and minister for anything but roads Ross is holding it up. Timetable has slipped from construction start late sept/early October, to November, to signing the contract in 2019.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/late-autumn-starts-likely-for-major-sligo-road-works-37175894.html

https://www.oceanfm.ie/2018/10/10/budget-measure-means-n4-can-go-to-construction-early-next-year/

https://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/28169-contractor-expected-to-be-appointed-in-new-year-to-n4-collooney-to-castlebaldwin-road-project

"However Minister Ross pointed out that Government approval is required prior to the award of the project, as it will cost in excess of €100m"

Construction inflation is rising, I hope all the approvals are sorted so the N22 can get going as soon as.

Advertisement