Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Hook lol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Everything Paul just said..

Sorry Paul Mate - We're gonna have to agree to disagree here.

Mongolian Throat singing. Could you be ready to do a gig for an hour - in a week?

I've got a tour booked for us.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Could you imagine a DJ after a very hard few weeks doing a gig in a half filled club in Dublin after an awful days travel saying to himself ..."Feck it I'll just pull out a set I played last night in Budapest, who'll know?"

I certainly could.... because unless you feck up like the Hookulator, you will probably get away with it.

Yes, just as some bands don't play live, I'm sure some DJ's have pre-recorded sets... but I would imagine it is in the lowest minority.

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Bloody right :)

I reckon 1210's, lets go with the original format. :pac:

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

ICN wrote: »
    Sorry Paul Mate - We're gonna have to agree to disagree here.

Mongolian Throat singing. Could you be ready to do a gig for an hour - in a week?

I've got a tour booked for us.

Noseflute ...... Oh no I have a cold!

Anyway i can't believe yez strung out my pointless argument for so long.

Loosen up DJs will ya, it's only playing a few tunes for gawds sake!?

Here's a peace offering...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjlaWk_kVWE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭LaVidaLoca

If being a 'proper' musician is like painting, then DJing is like photography.

Photography is the art of selection: Picking what to include and what not to include from the world around you.

In the same way: It is quite possible that somebody could take an absolutely amazing photograph with hardly any training, if they were in the right place at the right time. But it takes years to learn to paint.

As far as DJing is concerned, there is a huge gap in skill: Theres a world of difference between mixing mindless techno-**** records into other mindless tachno **** records, and the kind of highly complicated stuff that goes on in the outer fringes of hip-hop.

HOwever, personally, I do think, that no matter how skilled it is, it is a craft rather than an art. Can you imagine a DJ making your heart leap in your throat with a single gesture the way a good musician/vocalist can? Could any DJ make you feel the way a really smokin' band does when their on form? If they can Ive never seen it.

My favourite story concerns a certain club in Galway that Roger Sanchez or some such fancy guy over to play. Before he went on, they played an Ibiza Mix 98 CD over the P.A. and a bouncer was standing behind the decks to make sure nobody nicked anything: The crowd thought the bouncer was the fancy DJ and went wild and had a great night. Ask yourself: Would it be possible for anybody to mistake a bouncer for Jimi Hendrix?

LaVidaLoca wrote: »

Photography is the art of selection: Picking what to include and what not to include from the world around you.

In the same way: It is quite possible that somebody could take an absolutely amazing photograph with hardly any training, if they were in the right place at the right time. But it takes years to learn to paint.

Eloquently put! Some guys like photos and some like paintings and some guys like both. Both disciplines are equally valuable to my mind.

Anyway i can't believe yez strung out my pointless argument for so long.

Loosen up DJs will ya, it's only playing a few tunes for gawds sake!?

Here's a peace offering...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjlaWk_kVWE

You cant extract yourself out of it that easy Paul...

Tut Tut

You cant extract yourself out of it that easy Paul...

Tut Tut

Ah! It is a good peace offering though?

Ah! It is a good peace offering though?

Yeah - Its great. Really really good.

They've come a long way since they took the gas ovens apart & started drumming on them.

They've really moved on from that.

They'd be a lot duller without Native Instruments.

• Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua3PHFn_QHE

I'm not proud to admit that I once tried something similar to this in Fruity loops..

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

As far as DJing is concerned, there is a huge gap in skill: Theres a world of difference between mixing mindless techno-**** records into other mindless tachno **** records, and the kind of highly complicated stuff that goes on in the outer fringes of hip-hop.

HOwever, personally, I do think, that no matter how skilled it is, it is a craft rather than an art. Can you imagine a DJ making your heart leap in your throat with a single gesture the way a good musician/vocalist can? Could any DJ make you feel the way a really smokin' band does when their on form? If they can Ive never seen it.

My favourite story concerns a certain club in Galway that Roger Sanchez or some such fancy guy over to play. Before he went on, they played an Ibiza Mix 98 CD over the P.A. and a bouncer was standing behind the decks to make sure nobody nicked anything: The crowd thought the bouncer was the fancy DJ and went wild and had a great night. Ask yourself: Would it be possible for anybody to mistake a bouncer for Jimi Hendrix?

That was a long and elaborate way to demonstrate your lack of knowledge on Djing. Your reference also to '****' techno as you put it and to compare to hip hop, what a mindless and pig ignorant comment to make. I can't be ars*d commenting on the rest of your post as it's just repeating now and getting boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

You've obviously never been mashed in the middle of a dance floor, tune kicking in, strobes going and everybody there enjoying it together. That is pure euphoria and there is no band in the world who can replicate that feeling. I can't say I've ever felt the same watching a band playing instruments as I do when a dj drops the right track at the right time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua3PHFn_QHE

I'm not proud to admit that I once tried something similar to this in Fruity loops..

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

lol, deadly buzz :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

First post here ,probably last cause I don't produce:(

Fair play to the mods for not moving this thread straight away ,it's not even music production. At best it should be under live music.
    I know loads of Dj's and listen to them ,but production isn't dj'ing.
    Peter hook in the video looks like a complete tit ,I'm sure when his midlife crisis comes to an end ,the hangover will be ten times worse.

You've obviously never been mashed in the middle of a dance floor, tune kicking in, strobes going and everybody there enjoying it together.

Oh I have, many, many, many times during the late 90's early 00's. Wasn't on drugs though. And largely, I was bored.

You just proved my point. In order to think a DJ is emotionally effecting you have to be out of your face on drugs. If you're sober, it's merely, "M'eh. some guys playing records, its OK I guess.'

Its kinda like saying: "Oh this girl I know, she's really gourgeous looking. Well, if you've had 15 pints she is, anyway."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Nope, I'm highlighting the best experience you can have, not the only one. I go to many gigs sober, and I still get the same feeling and same emotion because I really love the music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

You realise the difference between a good DJ and someone who's "just playing records" when you decide to have a party and you decide to make a playlist for it.

Suddenly, you realise that selecting decent tunes in a good order isn't all that easy, you can't preempt the mood of the party, and you'll probably find it hard to mix them so there're no gaps.

Saying that no one would be able to tell the difference between a mix tape and good DJ mixing and selecting songs live, or just some amateur DJ with basic skills is a bit like saying there's no difference between a great innovative guitar-based band and a standard MOR indie pop band because the majority of people can't tell the difference/are not particularly interested in the difference.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I used to be a very musical person when I was younger into all sort of stuff, played the guitar among others and loved all of it.... I used to HATE "Rave" as I called it back then, but as soon as I got introduced to 'proper' electronic music (none of this tiesto, scooter etc crap) I have never looked back. Since then I rarely listen to anything else. I occasionally pull out some old cd's from my rocker days, but if you open your eyes to the breaths of electronic music you will be truly amazed at what you can find. I have no interest in most other genre's but I'm not going to be ignorant about it. Each to their own.

I started plying about with DJ software a good few years just so I could make my own cd's of the tracks I liked etc. I soon got way more into it and eventually got decent equipment and later Decks, and taught myself completely how to do everything properly. I now consider myself a pretty good DJ - nothing spectacular, I'm not going to make a career out of it - but I can hold my own and I consider myself better than some of the dj's I hear out in bars etc around Dublin. However the one thing I pride myself on is that I occasionally give people some of my sets - very often people who do not like electronic music at all, and they come back to me saying "Normally I'm just not into that type of stuff at all but I actually really enjoyed your mix - I want to hear more!". Especially with genre's such as minimal and techno - quite a few of my friends used to slag off minimal all day long until one night at a party in my house I slowly introduced it into my set, and by the end of the night they went away with new appreciation for it. I'm trying to do the same with Techno now.

Just cause you have a room full of people and a dancefloor does not mean they are going to go mental all night. The average 'clubber' even though they may not be musically educated or technically minded in a dj's sense, are surprisingly sensitive to the difference between good and bad dj's.

I think the term "DJ" is used far to widely. I don't consider someone a 'real dj' if they simply play a series of the predictable and popular songs at a wedding or a birthday - pretty much anyone can do that. Becoming a successful club Dj really does take serious skill - when you are being scrutinised by people who do know that they are talking about. Playing a mix cd at a gig you're getting paid to 'play at set' to paying customers it just pathetic - how could you possibly respect yourself?

Zascar wrote: »
    Each to their own.

That's what it comes down to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

This is a load of ill informed toss. A painter does not need skill at painting. All a painter needs is an eye for composition (exactly like a photographer). Just look at some of the ghastly "works of art" found in major galleries worldwide.
    It is quite possible that somebody could take an absolutely amazing photograph with hardly any training, if they were in the right place at the right time
    Yes but it takes years of training to take consistently good pictures.
    But it takes years to learn to paint.
    A talented person can paint a good picture without any training whatsoever on their first attempt.
    The same applies to painting, painting even gives you the choice to ignore.

You do realise that techno and hip hop are each others incestous brothers and children at the same time. Back in the 80's quite often the same producers were involved and influencing each other when it comes to the two genres. The actual style of djing is very similar, as a good techno dj will cut and scratch like any hip hop dj. Why? Cos the arrangements of both genres is similar and came from the same era, from the same african-american background.

Back on topic. It is rather disgraceful that Hook actually charged punters to look at him sit with his thumb up his arse. Then again, some may pay to see similar things on the net:rolleyes:

Im sure you know what that is. Look it up in the dictionary under the letter A.

As for your views on some Modern Art, I quite agree with you: Lots of it is total meaningless dross that takes bugger all talent to produce: It is merely propped up by proffessional tastemakers and people who are afraid of seeming uncool by criticising it - rather like a lot of electronic music.

In the late nineties/early 00's, thesesguys ruled the roost and to criticise them, you might as well have hung a sign on your head saying "Im uncool and I dont get it." Of course in the years since, that music has proved itself disposable as almost no other genre in history.

Thankfully in the years since, DJ's have once again begun to be seen as what they are: At their best they are craftsmen, tastemakers and entertainers. But they are very rarely artists. DJ Shadow might have approached that at times for me, hence my bias towards hip-hop over techno which Ive always hated.

Suddenly, you realise that selecting decent tunes in a good order isn't all that easy

Maybe so, but any band that's ever played gigs has to do that every night. Its hardly the most difficult thing about being a musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Maybe so, but any band that's ever played gigs has to do that every night. Its hardly the most difficult thing about being a musician.
    surely most bands just play there material right? so they basically have there setlist done beforehand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

I feel really uncool and naive now. I haven't a clue about such things.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Affable wrote: »
    I feel really uncool and naive now. I haven't a clue about such things.:pac:
    your probably better off man:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

seannash wrote: »
    your probably better off man:D

LOL. Electronic music always seems so cliquey and snobby to me.

surely most bands just play there material right? so they basically have there setlist done beforehand

Usually have a setlist done beforehand, with the option to change it if the mood changes: If everyones up on their feet yelling for more, you dont play that ballad you we're planning on or whatever.

Its a very basic and pretty obvious thing, feeling the crowd, and all musicians do it.

To treat it as some sort of psychic skill that makes DJs artists is hogwash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

seannash wrote: »

So there's no design or reason to the setlist? A band won't consider the pacing of the set? Hell even aside from that, there are lots of bands that don't even use a setlist.

Being able to read a crowd does not somehow magically seperate DJs from other musicians.

Advertisement