Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Hook lol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

what hooky's doing is pathetic, but he definitely did contribute a lot to joy divisions sound, very individual style of playing bass.

weren't there rumours daft punk were doing this? loads of mp3s of live sets from different gigs had identical content? (haven't checked this at all myself, just the rumour:)) not a free CD obviously, a set they made them selves, some people even suggested its not even them at gigs! some went so far as to say nobody would even care the live show was so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

jtsuited wrote: »
    and you've done both? to the same level?

because you can't make that call until then.

Ridiculous. As was mentioned, totally absurd.

I just think you're a little bit pissed that not everyone is willing to crucify Peter Hook to the extent that you are. Because not everyone here cares about the 'art' of DJing to the extent that you do. That's just the way it is (the fact that you're in Mensa doesn't change anything)

Oh and did you know Peter Hook is also in Mensa? No? Well that's because I made it up right now. Still, that lie is about as relevant as most of the issues discussed in this thread. Now can someone please start a thread about music production?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

TelePaul wrote: »

I just think you're a little bit pissed that not everyone is willing to crucify Peter Hook to the extent that you are. Because not everyone here cares about the 'art' of DJing to the extent that you do. That's just the way it is (the fact that you're in Mensa doesn't change anything)

Oh and did you know Peter Hook is also in Mensa? No? Well that's because I made it up right now. Still, that lie is about as relevant as most of the issues discussed in this thread. Now can someone please start a thread about music production?

why don't you?

ogy wrote: »
    what hooky's doing is pathetic, but he definitely did contribute a lot to joy divisions sound, very individual style of playing bass.

weren't there rumours daft punk were doing this? loads of mp3s of live sets from different gigs had identical content? (haven't checked this at all myself, just the rumour:)) not a free CD obviously, a set they made them selves, some people even suggested its not even them at gigs! some went so far as to say nobody would even care the live show was so good!

yeah i heard that rumour and i heard the sets, and i'd put my money on them not doing anything live and playing a prerecorded set.
    although a while ago they did a big thing about their live setup in some magazine. It was a bizarre setup they had with 2 behringer midi controllers beside two moog voyagers. weird.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

You should understand a bit more about the 'art' of DJing before you cast your judgement. Without DJ's, very little music would have hit the ears of the paying public. Below is a very good read, for anyone interested in music.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Night-DJ-Saved-Life/dp/0755313984/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211068652&sr=8-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

My tastes in music or opinions for that matter have NOTHING to do with moderation red dave. I have no idea why you would say something as sweeping as that comment considering I have never talked to you. If you want something deleted PM me or report It.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

I once attended a course in German where one of the teacher's day jobs was as a DJ.

He brought in his set up to show us what it was he did. He djed using Logic. He had various "basic tracks" in the audio tracks which he brought in and out. He sampled all his own samples and relied heavily on the EXS24. Samples varied from sound effects to single drum hit samples to drum and/or bass patterns to vocal samples to chunks of well-known songs. On top of this he also had software instruments open on which he could play. All of this was manipulated in real time using a midi-controller. This was the technology.

He then explained that the real trick was to read the crowd, play with their expectations, have crescendos/descrescendos, knowing when the right time for each element was. He obviously had his samples and stuff prepared but the exact form of it was different for every night and every crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

sei046 wrote: »
    My tastes in music or opinions for that matter have NOTHING to do with moderation red dave. I have no idea why you would say something as sweeping as that comment considering I have never talked to you. If you want something deleted PM me or report It.

Appologies.

My comment was over the top

Felixdhc wrote: »
    You should understand a bit more about the 'art' of DJing before you cast your judgement. Without DJ's, very little music would have hit the ears of the paying public. Below is a very good read, for anyone interested in music.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Night-DJ-Saved-Life/dp/0755313984/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211068652&sr=8-1

I think you need to come up with a better arguiment than "you just don't get DJing is all about". I get it. I don't think much of it.

I think you need to come up with a better arguiment than "you just don't get DJing is all about". I get it. I don't think much of it.

I think you need to read posts more carefully and not misquote me in your response.

You don't get it at all and sound like you never could either. You should take a break from twiddling with your knobs and broaden your musical reach sometime. ;)

• Advertisement

Felixdhc wrote: »
    I think you need to read posts more carefully and not misquote me in your response.

You don't get it at all and sound like you never could either. You should take a break from twiddling with your knobs and broaden your musical reach sometime. ;)

Lol this is a classic. "You don't get it at all". Okay. Anything else you want to tell me I do or don't 'get'? I think you should save your love of DJing for a more relevant forum. But thanks for the laugh.

I KNEW this was going to be a big can of worms. Hence my bowing out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Without wanting to get too embroiled in this, I'd have to say I'd agree with jtsuited and Felixdhc on this one. If the public are paying into a club to see a DJ they're expecting to see/hear him perform, not mime. Hook was essentially miming, if I found out a band I paid to see were miming or lip-syncing I'd be royally pissed off, it'd be no different if it were a DJ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

He's not even wearing head phones! So he obviously doesn't give a sh1t if people know or not!!

Hooky havin' it large! Get in there!!!
    eh! sorry hooky that's the lighting dimmer yer tweeking there son!

jaysus, what a can of worms indeed!

the fact of the matter is that most of those who seem to have experienced dance music in any sort of proper context, think what he's doing is a complete joke and frankly disgraceful.

those who seem to not really know/have experienced dance music can't see the problem.

that's really it.

i know this is a generalisation but it's pretty much the jist of this thread.

Well... No... I think anyone can disagree with what he is at from a consumer standpoint. And If someone wants to be judged on their talent they should not use the avenue he did there. Im sure he must ok "whatever the hell that is in Djing" at what he does and this was probably a one off

Lol this is a classic. "You don't get it at all". Okay. Anything else you want to tell me I do or don't 'get'? I think you should save your love of DJing for a more relevant forum. But thanks for the laugh.

No, I don't have anything else to comment on with regards to what you do or don't get... DJing you clearly don't get which is quite obvious by your ignorant posts.

I have a love for music, which is relevant in many places around boards - you obviously wouldn't understand that judging by your narrow minded comments.

Man i thought your location "Nth Dublin" was referring to N as any real number? as in 6 or 1 or whatever. That would have been funny but actually i presume you mean North. ANYWAY!

I think Djing is completely relevant to this forum. Differing opinions should not result in a genre of music production being excluded from the thread!

Man i thought your location "Nth Dublin" was referring to N as any real number? as in 6 or 1 or whatever. That would have been funny but actually i presume you mean North. ANYWAY!

I think Djing is completely relevant to this forum. Differing opinions should not result in a genre of music production being excluded from the thread!

Tis North alright!

Thanks, it would be strange if 'music production' was limited to or excluded any genres! And DJing of course :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Peter Hook is there being paid appearance money. It's the same as paying Terry Wogan to open a shopping centre.
    The dude made Blue Monday like! He doesn't need to prove that he can dj, he knows more about music than most DJ's anyway.
    It's not like he's entering the DMC's or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Terry Wogan on Music Production Boards ?

.... am I dreaming ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

studiorat wrote: »
    Peter Hook is there being paid appearance money. It's the same as paying Terry Wogan to open a shopping centre.
    The dude made Blue Monday like! He doesn't need to prove that he can dj, he knows more about music than most DJ's anyway.
    ah jesus christ.
    so its cool for a band to show up and hit play on there latest album and basically mime along.
    ITS APPEARANCE MONEY RIGHT!!!!!!!
    thats the most rididculous thing ive read on here and ive read this whole thread.
    jtsuited is right.its a bull**** approach to djing and this sort of thing will only give djing a worse name and discredit it amongst the musical snobs.
    this will be there comeback to many an argument(yeah but djs just put on a mix cd and fanny about)this is why people who understand this are outraged.
    i really dont care what hes done in the past.as people have said his involvement cant be measured.he could have been a glorified session musician who played back someone elses ideas.
    and if djing is so easy and doesnt take much musical talent.and he is such a musical genius,would it be a huge stretch for him to actually learn how to do it.shouldnt be right?
    and as fopr daft punk,the reason there sets are all the same is because there not performing a dj set there performing a live show of there own(albeit sampled from other tracks)material,just like a band would have a setlist.
    and they have a light show to go along with it so it all syncs up.
    they do deviate slightly but they have a plan outlined.there not playing a dj set.
    oh and while reading this ive havent read anyone on our side claiming that djs are musicians either,so that was an argument you brought up,not us.we didnt claim to be.we know what we are and alot of us produce music too.

and this was probably a one off

No it was not. There are loads of videos of him playing the SAME mix cd at different places around the world.

And HE did not make Blue Monday. He played bass on it.

This is a stupid arguement TBH.

I dont accept reading the crowd as the trait of a musician(even though they have to) because that is universal for any performer. I dont rate doing the mixing as a trait as that is done (with more precision) by guys who are dealing with many many more tracks, with much higher precision and do not ask for more than an engineer title. It just seems like its more of a personality thing than a skill. I dont really rate it over someone learning how to use a computer.

Thats my opinion solely and Is not intended to be offensive so I do not want to hear a single remark about biased mods or musical snobbery. I play absolutely every sort of music going and and have a completely open minded approach to music in general. SO please, Its my opinion on one aspect of music, dont kick up

This is a stupid arguement TBH.

I dont accept reading the crowd as the trait of a musician(even though they have to) because that is universal for any performer. I dont rate doing the mixing as a trait as that is done (with more precision) by guys who are dealing with many many more tracks, with much higher precision and do not ask for more than an engineer title. It just seems like its more of a personality thing than a skill. I dont really rate it over someone learning how to use a computer.

Thats my opinion solely and Is not intended to be offensive so I do not want to hear a single remark about biased mods or musical snobbery. I play absolutely every sort of music going and and have a completely open minded approach to music in general. SO please, Its my opinion on one aspect of music, dont kick up

Biased mods, musical snobbery!!!;)

nah just messing.
    sei with all due respect i don't think you really know what a dj does (or at least weren't clear until this thread).

I'm a complete music snob.I play piano, bass, drums, guitar, sing, songwrite, etc (have done nearly all professionally at one time or another).

I've engineered on countless recordings and I'm a techno producer (for want of a better description).
    I also dj (the odd time).

I feel I'm pretty much in a far more valid place to judge this thing.

And I'm telling you right now that a good dj needs a lot of talent. A good set needs a lot of time spent finding records that aren't that popular but you know people will love on hearing them for the first time.

Like I said earlier you're entitled to your opinion but in my opinion you are ludicrously ignorant about the subject and therefore your opinion is really not worth anything.

and have a completely open minded approach to music in general. SO please, Its my opinion on one aspect of music, dont kick up

i'm sorry but that contradicts many other posts of yours in this thread.

Aw man I love it! I KNEW this thread was going to bring out these!

Aw man I love it! I KNEW this thread was going to bring out these!

Let the 'Dj's are great and have an art all to themselves' VS. 'Dj's only play other people's music and get paid ludicrous sums of money to to do so' debate begin.

I just feel that if We look at things the way you seem to. It doesnt REALLY matter what the discussion is because YOUR RIGHT! See what im saying? In that case when someone makes their opinion clear, you may as well just say, " No, look man, I pretty much know everything about every sort of music..So its probably better you just agree with me...."

• Advertisement

studiorat wrote: »

Well said.

Advertisement