Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Hook lol

Options
  • 16-05-2008 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭

So Peter Hook the bassist in joy division and new order has been doing dj gigs recently.

So?
    Well he's actually been playing a mix cd. Which isn't even his. In fact it was actually a mix cd given away free with mixmag.
    :eek:

this is so friggin funny : link

nothing sadder than seeing an aging former rock star tweaking eq's with such tenacity!!

twattery of the highest order!!!

I know it's strictly speaking not music production related but since we've been talking about famous and successful people in music lately, i thought it would be of interest.

be prepared to laugh a lot, or cringe, but most likely both.

edit: oh yeah forgot to mention that how he got caught out was that there was a 'mixmag' jingle on the cd!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That vid wouldn't load, I presume its this one.

Load of old toss tbh. Being a DJ is just playing records where I come from.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Yeah Peter Hook's still a legend and a great bassist all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

funktastic wrote: »
    Yeah Peter Hook's still a legend and a great bassist all the same.

+1 on that. It doesn't matter what he plays is in a DJ set, other DJs have filled alot of clubs with Blue Monday remixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

are you guys serious?

ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Yeah great bassist, great bands.

But ffs, playing a free cd that was given away? And charging people for it?

Im with Jack Ten on this one.

• Advertisement

armour87 wrote: »
    Yeah great bassist, great bands.

But ffs, playing a free cd that was given away? And charging people for it?

Im with Jack Ten on this one.

thank you. finally a modicum of common sense.

watchin the video is just hilarious.

and big deal he played bass for new order and joy division. was he the songwriter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

That's some mighty fine tweakin' there, Petey...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

I cannot stand Djs. Im sorry. I just cant. do they know we have software that will do their job?

(waits for backlash....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

Ha ha that was brilliant. I probably don't have the greatest respect for the DJ profession but that was still funny.

I was watching the Last Broadcast this week and there was an interview with New Order and they were discussing with Dave Fanning how great Vinyl is and Dave said to Hooky was he using Vinyl for his DJ sets and Hooky said (real cool like) na i use CD's, Vinyl is to big to carry around with you. Well it is hard to carry around in comparrison to 1 CD!!!!!!!!

there are some great dj's out there though. guys who will get a venue going chaotic while playing tracks that are not known that well.

unfortunately the whole art has sort of been tainted in the mainstream world by Tiesto, Oakenfold etc.

And now Peter hook.

a lot of the big dj's are producers too (richie hawtin, d ramirez etc.) and really knock out some great productions and play great sets too.

i can see from an outsider's perspective that you'd think it was a joke of a profession but to be a great proper dj you really need talent (never thought i'd say that!).

Don't write off a whole world of music because of some egotistical twats.

• Advertisement

Honest question here.
    Are Djs mixing the song live? Is that what being a dj is about?

sei046 wrote: »
    Honest question here.

I think it's about matching tempos and shifting EQ. Otherwise, I'm not sure, there's probably way more to it than that. But they don't really create anything new, just manipulate existing work.

The Peter Hook bashing is silly. He's sold more records than any would-be DJ who tries his hand at a sub par remix of Blue Monday or True Faith. He's an innovative bass player whos riffs are unquestionably catchy. The fact that he uses a free CD doesn't hold much weight with me - he's certainly written and recorded far more music than any DJ out there, who I don't actually consider musicians in the first place.

Honest question here.

well yeah most of the time, a dj will play records and beatmatch so it all flows into one.
    tune selection, good transitions between the records, and an ability to read the crowd are sort of the determining qualities.

obviously playing a mix cd that came free with mixmag (mixed by Pete Tong I think) is an absolute joke.

telepaul, i know a hell of a lot of dj's who know more about music and understand it better than most bass players i know.

obviously dj's aren't 'musicians' but if any musician here tried to dj (in the real sense) you'd see just how musical it is.
    Speaking as a drummer, bass player, singer, songwriter, piano player and guitarist, I can tell you now that you can't discredit the world of djing (the good one that is) for not 'being musicians'.

TelePaul wrote: »
    He's sold more records than any would-be DJ who tries his hand at a sub par remix of Blue Monday or True Faith.

no the band he was in sold those records. huge huge difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

This kind of leaves me non-plussed in either direction. I have respect for DJ's who can work a crowd, it's a great skill but at the same time I'm not one of these people who sees dance DJ'ing as akin to being able to write a good song. Although good hip hop DJ's on the other hand blow my mind.

I read an interview with Peter Hook recently, I think it was in The Guardian, he talked about his DJ'ing. He seemed pretty unprecious about and said that he makes more money now from the fact he was in New Order and Joy Division purely because people ask him can they pay him a bag 'o' cash for flying to a club and playing a few songs. So he does it.

I'd probably feel a bit cheated if I was a fan of his and paid good money to see/hear him DJ and he just played a mix CD. I dunno, maybe he'd done a bit much Bolivian and fell back on plan B?! :D

jtsuited wrote: »
    no the band he was in sold those records. huge huge difference

Yeah, you're right, he probably didn't do **** in JD, Monaco or NO. He got his royalties for sitting on his ass.

TelePaul wrote: »
    Yeah, you're right, he probably didn't do **** in JD, Monaco or NO. He got his royalties for sitting on his ass.

i didn't know you knew how much royalties he got.

What on gods earth is wrong with mixing a song and THEN playing it at the gig. Surely you can do a better job if its premixed? Why the hell dont I set up my bloody rig in a club and mix my albums there. I am actually quite vexed about this now that i think about it. ITS SO STUPID! IM SORRY!

I dont consider it a form of musicianship. It seems to get a lot of people going which is great but until I see the other producers out there getting massive because they do it live (after already mixing it) I wont have respect for that side. Creativity My boll*x.

What on gods earth is wrong with mixing a song and THEN playing it at the gig. Surely you can do a better job if its premixed? Why the hell dont I set up my bloody rig in a club and mix my albums there. I am actually quite vexed about this now that i think about it. ITS SO STUPID! IM SORRY!

I dont consider it a form of musicianship. It seems to get a lot of people going which is great but until I see the other producers out there getting massive because they do it live (after already mixing it) I wont have respect for that side. Creativity My boll*x.

no no no sei. he played a mix cd ie. the dj mix where you mix one track into each other at the start/beginning. we're not talking about multitrack mixing here.
    rather than actually play a dj set which would of course mean mixing one track into another, he played a mix cd start to finish (that one was 70 minutes long) which was was done by somebody else.

it's the equivalent of Bon Jovi going on stage and miming to Guns N Roses tracks as if they were there own.

you seem to not know what a dj does, how feckin old are you?:D

No I know what your saying but surely thats even worse!?!?!? I had hoped that they would do the samples and all!

• Advertisement

No I know what your saying but surely thats even worse!?!?!? I had hoped that they would do the samples and all!

mmm i'm confused. so just to clarify.
    most dj's play certain records (that they choose), mixing each one into the next (in time normally), and that's what a dj does.

peter hook played a mix cd of Pete Tong's and acted as if he was djing.

Ok I think im going to back out here! I am most definitely going to offend someone if i discuss this any further! The height of madness

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I could be one of those offended alright so will have my one and only ever post in 'Music Production' :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

You don't have to know how much someones getting in order make a fair assumption that they are getting royalties.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

mmm i'm confused. so just to clarify.
    most dj's play certain records (that they choose), mixing each one into the next (in time normally), and that's what a dj does.

peter hook played a mix cd of Pete Tong's and acted as if he was djing.

Did you notice actually that the thread about this is gone over in clubbing? :confused: (2nd post!)

Dig the new sig alright :pac:

Seems that's not all you don't know.

OOOOOOOOOOOOhhhh. *SNAP!*

OOOOOOOOOOOOhhhh. *SNAP!*

In hindsight it was a stupid response to a facetious comment.

no but honestly we don't really know how great or how little his input was in new order and joy division.
    To presume that he's one of the major creative forces in the band is silly as there are many people in bands that could be easily replaced and their sound wouldn't change.

what's with the bitchiness telepaul?
    you were the one being sarcastic first.

• Advertisement

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Did you notice actually that the thread about this is gone over in clubbing? :confused: (2nd post!)

Dig the new sig alright :pac:
    the threads have been dissappearing for legal reasons (the promoter thingy).

Advertisement