Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Hook lol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Haha! More rows! Brilliant stuff!!

That vid is fkn hilarious.

I love the N azi salute 1/2 way through, just before the tune kicks back in.

Obviously some references are just too hard to leave behind..

Seriously though - What a wally!

I won't be letting him near my mixer without a deposit, that's for fkn sure!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

ICN wrote: »
    Haha! More rows! Brilliant stuff!!

That vid is fkn hilarious.

I love the N azi salute 1/2 way through, just before the tune kicks back in.

Obviously some references are just too hard to leave behind..

Seriously though - What a wally!

I won't be letting him near my mixer without a deposit, that's for fkn sure!

Its horrible to watch, serious cringe material... really makes a fool of himself flutin' about with the mixer as if he's doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Peter Crook is a complete sham and an insult to all hard working DJs.

He is also a total weirdo who regularly sends me hate mail on myspace because I criticised his fake DJ antics on his website.

Complete TWAT!

peterhookfakedj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

wow, your dedicated to the cause man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

thats friggin hilarious. nice one womoma.

ask him about the subtle intracacies of his 'mixes' that'd really piss him off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

I'd be Dead/Poor/Not married and not have a baby son if it wasn't for Superstar/bedroom DJ not matter what talent level or mime capabilities. And i'd have to say that a decent DJ make the best dance music producer - i *love* working with them to learn about crowd response and new styles.

But back to the plot - i'd be 6 feet under if it wasn't for any sort of DJ being interested in my music :) - their enthusiasm for my music gives me something to live/breath for when i was right down in the pits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

mike65 wrote: »
    . Being a DJ is just playing records where I come from.

Mike.

Spose .... I guess after a week of instruction you could, conceivably do a gig as a DJ.......... but no way after a week of instruction could you do a gig as a guitar player .....

Or am I fanning flames?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

flame fanning.
    its all about skill level at these things.i guess concieveably after a weeks instruction you could play basic bass guitar or basic drums but its only after years of practice and experience will you be great

when i say basic i mean basic.so yeah you could be a basic dj after a week but who the **** wants to be basic.

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Or am I fanning flames?:pac:

Yes :pac:

Maybe after a week of intensive learning you might get a grip of beat-matching to a limited degree, but to get into mixing in key, programming, set patterns, correct tune selection etc, it would take a lot longer, years sometimes. Thats of course if you are a DJ that actually mixes tracks and not just playing them... there is a difference which is obviously important.

I know people who have tried for years and still can't mix or beat-match, let alone select the correct tracks to suit the crowd.

So after a week of instruction you could, conceivably do a gig as a DJ, even if it was basic ?

Would you agree that 99. something % of the time one couldn't get to even a basic level on guitar in a week?

• Advertisement

id say they could.basic chords.shouldnt take that long really.
    just coz you can "do" a gig as a dj doesnt mean itll go well.you will **** up, mixes will be horrible,no different than getting onstage with a guitar and strumming notes.they might not go but at least your "playing" the guitar:D

seannash wrote: »
    id say they could.basic chords.shouldnt take that long really.
    just coz you can "do" a gig as a dj doesnt mean itll go well.you will **** up, mixes will be horrible,no different than getting onstage with a guitar and strumming notes.they might not go but at least your "playing" the guitar:D

So no is the answer? You couldn't do a gig for say 1 hour , even basically on guitar after a week - but you could play some records for 1 hour as a Disc Jockey and might get an odd beat match right and last an hour without someone pulling the plug.

That is possible? Yes?

So no is the answer? You couldn't do a gig for say 1 hour , even basically on guitar after a week - but you could play some records for 1 hour as a Disc Jockey and might get an odd beat match right and last an hour without someone pulling the plug.

That is possible? Yes?

How about putting it to the test, care to try?! :D

Felixdhc wrote: »
    How about putting it to the test, care to try?! :D

That's avoiding the question - A simple yes or no please.

That is possible? Yes?
    you asked did i think it was possible after a week to reach a basic skill level on guitar.i said yes.
    if someone with a weeks experience showed up to a niteclub and tried to dj peoples response would be that they CANT dj.
    same response to the guitar people would say he cant play the guitar but in essence strumming chords on a guitar is "playing it" same way playing records is called djing.
    neither would be any good at it but there still "doing " it

No its not avoiding it, it's finding out one way or the other. I have never tested someone's abilities to DJ after one week. It's very hard to say one way or the other as people obviously differ in their abilities. I would really like to put it to the test though.

there was an ad for saving music in schools on the telly over here(new york)
    it said.
    learn 3 chords on the guitar and you can play over 1000 songs.

so is it totally inconcievable to learn 3 chords in a week.
    i dont think so.so you would be able to do a gig i guess

Of course you could do a gig for an hour after a week of practice.

DJ'ing or Guitar.

If we can put a man on the moon - we can do anything.

Next logical question please.. I know the answers to these simple ones.

it said.

Sean Mate - Learn just one Chord shape, and you know them all!

We're kinda pressed for time here after all! hahaha!

I agree with you 100%

Of course you could do a gig for an hour after a week of practice.

DJ'ing or Guitar.

If we can put a man on the moon - we can do anything.

Next logical question please.. I know the answers to these simple ones.

True, well said.

• Advertisement

thing is this stinks of arrogance.
    anybody who has tried it wouldnt put up a question like that.
    nobody discredits how hard it is to learn guitar properly but people whove never tried it think djing is so easy.
    give me your address so i can have a ladder delivered to you so you can get down off your high horse:D

Cheers Felix - Nice to see other logical people use this board! ;)

Sean Mate - Learn just one Chord shape, and you know them all!

We're kinda pressed for time here after all! hahaha!

I agree with you 100%
    **** i didnt realise the "weeks practice" had begun.
    :D

thing is this stinks of arrogance.
    anybody who has tried it wouldnt put up a question like that.
    nobody discredits how hard it is to learn guitar properly but people whove never tried it think djing is so easy.
    give me your address so i can have a ladder delivered to you so you can get down off your high horse:D

Make it a small one - Paul has a Shetland.

Well I reckon a fair way to finally resolve this is to put someone to the challenge. We can arrange the equipment and a venue to play after the week of training, seems fair?

Make it a small one - Paul has a Shetland.
    :D:D:D

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Well I reckon a fair way to finally resolve this is to put someone to the challenge. We can arrange the equipment and a venue to play after the week of training, seems fair?

Peter Hook should be given the weeks tutorial for the decks anyway - goes without saying.

Are we taking about 1210's or CDJ's here btw? :pac:

it said.

That's true, I'd say way over 1000 actually!

I don't think it is possible to learn strumming, learn chords , make the chord changes (that's the really hard bit at the beginning), and learn what and when they are to happen for an hours worth of music in a week as the average guitar student, but I could be wrong.

I do think it is possible to play an hours worth of music from 2 decks after a weeks instruction, after all technically it's just starting and stopping tracks at it's most basic level. Basic I say!

However the core point is -

If DJing at it's basic level is a technically simple process (I'm not talking artistically here) , it's wide open to Chancers.

Get yourself some choons on your computer a bit of beat mixing software, a bit of front and Bobs your Uncle , you're a DJ, as far as the average man on the street is concerned.

While what the Hookster was at was laugh insofar as you'd have to admire the neck of the lad, it's obviously fraudulent as the punters were paying to see the head spin the discs.

The next logical thing to think of is , who else is at it? (though perhaps not to such a farcical level)

Could you imagine a DJ after a very hard few weeks doing a gig in a half filled club in Dublin after an awful days travel saying to himself ..."Feck it I'll just pull out a set I played last night in Budapest, who'll know?"

I certainly could.... because unless you feck up like the Hookulator, you will probably get away with it.

;)

No I like it up here!

• Advertisement

Peter Hook should be given the weeks tutorial for the decks anyway - goes without saying.

Are we taking about 1210's or CDJ's here btw? :pac:

Bloody right :)

I reckon 1210's, lets go with the original format. :pac:

Advertisement