Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Hook lol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

And I was not ignorant as to what Djs do, I had presumed in the professional level that they did more than I had believed. But as it turns out, no they dont! just to bigger crowds!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

sei046 wrote: »
    I just feel that if We look at things the way you seem to. It doesnt REALLY matter what the discussion is because YOUR RIGHT! See what im saying? In that case when someone makes their opinion clear, you may as well just say, " No, look man, I pretty much know everything about every sort of music..So its probably better you just agree with me...."

wow.
    not the type of post i'd expect from a mod.

when someone argues a point it tends to be necessary to provide backup.

I gave my backup by way of personal experience in both areas of the debate. You were largely ignorant of the nature of one side of the debate (clueless is probably a better word).

I explained my side (having experienced both sides of the coin), and you're retort is that 'oh you always just think you're right'.

I've given numerous arguments for my point, and you have just stated your own personal opinion (which as you admit would have been ignorant before this thread).

If you want to take a go at me, fine. But take your fcuking mod hat off before you do so.

Ridiculous.

Listen man.... what on gods earth is with the mod thing?! Its getting a little old?

Mods clean up threads, stop personal abuse, make sure threads are in the right place....nothing else...Will you just let it go.....Its so so so boring explaining this EVERY TIME!

Ask Frobisher, Thats ALL we do. We are not an authority on ANYTHING! We clean.

And dont bring this all to a personal level because it always gets out of hand and the points become useless. I made my opinion clear for the purpose of a discussion. RELAX!

Listen man.... what on gods earth is with the mod thing?! Its getting a little old?

Mods clean up threads, stop personal abuse, make sure threads are in the right place....nothing else...Will you just let it go.....Its so so so boring explaining this EVERY TIME!

Ask Frobisher, Thats ALL we do. We are not an authority on ANYTHING! We clean.

And dont bring this all to a personal level because it always gets out of hand and the points become useless. I made my opinion clear for the purpose of a discussion. RELAX!

and what happens if a mod has a go at me like you did?

Jeff lets be honest about this, If that was me having a go at you, what on gods earth do you call what you were saying to me? Can we just forget this? Its so so stupid. It seems like you just look for fights or something man! Can you not just go with the flow and discuss something? I made an opinion, why do you get so up in arms about it?

Its all cool, please drop the mod thing, it doesnt hold any water because we can do nothing more than anyone else and our opinion isnt weighed any heavier than anyone elses...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

i think DJs themselves give DJs a bad name, theres alot of lazy superstar DJs out there doing nothing of any talent and they're not making any history or doing anything of musical interest or worth. but i do respect DJs who use DJing as an artform or try to create using DJing, particularly the type of DJing you see at the world DMC championships. there is some incredibly talented and skilled DJs involved in that who almost make decks an instrument. or there is the likes of richie hawtin who mixes using 4 decks and also incorporates effects and drum machines thats creative and to be respected. but other than that i find most DJing pretentious and only entertaining for a bit of a dance when you're pissed.

p.s its pretty obvious in that vid that he ain't mixing anything since he isn't even wearing headphones!

Jeff lets be honest about this, If that was me having a go at you, what on gods earth do you call what you were saying to me? Can we just forget this? Its so so stupid. It seems like you just look for fights or something man! Can you not just go with the flow and discuss something? I made an opinion, why do you get so up in arms about it?

Its all cool, please drop the mod thing, it doesnt hold any water because we can do nothing more than anyone else and our opinion isnt weighed any heavier than anyone elses...

hold on a second here sei. i was discussing the issue and things relevant to said discussion.
    The fact that many posters did not have too much experience/knowledge in the area WAS relevant to the argument.

You saying 'it seems the discussion isn't relevant because YOU'RE right', is a completely different kettle of fish altogether.

I have many opinions I wouldn't post on here, because they'd either offend people (yes sometimes i don't want to offend), or i wouldn't be knowledgeable enough to speak on.

But I certainly would never resort to 'oh you just think you're right' stupidity. Because at the end of the day Everyone thinks they're right until they believe they've been proven wrong.

edit: listen man it's cool, but those types of things are quite insulting to say. Even if there's not much malice intended, which i don't think there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I think what we can all take from this is that threads about DJing breed conflict and should always be avoided.

No what I was saying was you were dismissing my opinions on the grounds that your experience allows your opinion to overwrite mine. Without having any knowledge of who I am or what I do you said that it doesnt matter what I say because you know more than me and thats just that.

That doesnt sound too fair does it? Considering you have NO knowledge of my experience it doesnt really make any sense does it? And lets say you have more experience than me (Whatever the hell that is) why should that mean your opinion is more valid than anyone elses?

Man your just looking for a fight. You went to the other thread and carried the agro over...and then you tried to bring up an old arguement with Paul. Just let it go. You even brought up a mod issue from out of NOWHERE!

From now on Mod issues go to the feedback forum.

TelePaul wrote: »
    I think what we can all take from this is that threads about DJing breed conflict and should always be avoided.

agreed.
    and tbh i think that lots and lots of dj's are overpaid gobsh1tes who happen to live off former status or hype machines.

but that takes nothing away from the skill and talent necessary to become a good dj.

• Advertisement

No what I was saying was you were dismissing my opinions on the grounds that your experience allows your opinion to overwrite mine. Without having any knowledge of who I am or what I do you said that it doesnt matter what I say because you know more than me and thats just that.

That doesnt sound too fair does it? Considering you have NO knowledge of my experience it doesnt really make any sense does it? And lets say you have more experience than me (Whatever the hell that is) why should that mean your opinion is more valid than anyone elses?

Man your just looking for a fight. You went to the other thread and carried the agro over...and then you tried to bring up an old arguement with Paul. Just let it go. You even brought up a mod issue from out of NOWHERE!

From now on Mod issues go to the feedback forum.

Hold on it was clear you hadn't had much experience/ knowledge about one side of the debate (djing).
    Of course someone who has experienced both sides' opinion is 'more valid'.

If i asked you what's a better car, a Ford or a Mitsubishi, and you say a Ford but you've never driven a Mitsubishi (and own a Ford), a person who has driven both car's opinion is 'more valid'.

I brought up the mod issue, because I though that a mod would be better than the type who'd make that comment.

edit: in the car example, there obviously is no answer to such a badly designed question. but the point still stands.

You really dont get moderation. Modding is cleaning threads. Hitler or Stalin could clean threads and it wouldnt matter ok?

What happened was.............now listen........ My presumed that my understanding of what DJs do was only for amateurs.... I had presumed then that actual Djs mixed the tunes live (with samples, filters or whatever) As it turns out, they dont! So my only mistake was giving them the benifit of the doubt.

Understand?

of course i understand.
    and lots of dj's use samples and filters and all sorts of other stuff.

You really dont get moderation. Modding is cleaning threads. Hitler or Stalin could clean threads and it wouldnt matter ok?

ok.

So next time you get all hot and bothered, just take a deep breath and stop derailing threads. We are cool!

So next time you get all hot and bothered, just take a deep breath and stop derailing threads. We are cool!

once you don't make a remark like that yeah.

derailing threads?
    in fairness it needs rails before it can come off them.:D

jtsuited wrote: »
    agreed.

That was just a joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh this is just horrible! I'm one of New Order/Joy Division's biggest fans ever, but this is making me cringe myself silly! A CD free with a magazine? Bad, bad form Hooky. People who are saying there's nothing wrong with it, fair play to him... I don't know. It's like they're just swimming against logic and commonsense to be different - often known as trolling.

If he was mixing tracks from various CDs into each other, while that wouldn't involve the same skill as his work with New Order/Joy Division, it would still be DJ-ing. Nothing wrong with that. But a CD free with a magazine? People are acting as if it's the same thing... Seriously, can you not see the ludicrousness of saying it's ok to just play a free CD as a DJ set?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh this is just horrible! I'm one of New Order/Joy Division's biggest fans ever, but this is making me cringe myself silly! A CD free with a magazine? Bad, bad form Hooky. People who are saying there's nothing wrong with it, fair play to him... I don't know. It's like they're just swimming against logic and commonsense to be different - often known as trolling.

If he was mixing tracks from various CDs into each other, while that wouldn't involve the same skill as his work with New Order/Joy Division, it would still be DJ-ing. Nothing wrong with that. But a CD free with a magazine? People are acting as if it's the same thing... Seriously, can you not see the ludicrousness of saying it's ok to just play a free CD as a DJ set?
    yeah really,how can they argue its fine.
    nice new sig jtsuited:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

From now on Mod issues go to the feedbackforum.

I think that could be a good idea sometimes (although not always) as mods post their opinions just like other posters. The role of mod might be sitting below their name there on the left but it's only active when something practical has to be done. sei046's description is bang on. Most of the time we're janitors :-)

JTsuited: It does seem that you fire into other peoples opinions aggressively sometimes. I'd suggest drinking a cup or two less java but hey, maybe that's your buzz and nobody's losing limbs. :cool: I know you've been a professional on a lot of instruments, that you produce dance music, that you DJ and that you qualify for mensa because you've told us. Fair play to ya, but there's no need to be rude. This is a discussion forum, everyone's opinion is worth something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

frobisher wrote: »
    I think that could be a good idea sometimes (although not always) as mods post their opinions just like other posters. The role of mod might be sitting below their name there on the left but it's only active when something practical has to be done. sei046's description is bang on. Most of the time we're janitors :-)

I would see a Mods role as a regular contributor, after all it's your Music Prod interest that has you here in the first place.

The Modding , I imagined, is a very secondary role.

Yez are just as likely to talk Ball Ox as the rest of us!

Exactly. In Fact, I probably talk more bolo!
    Just out of interest... Is there not some interview or bio or something which gives us an idea of how much input he had in the band lol!? Just as a guide!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Exactly. In Fact, I probably talk more bolo!
    Just out of interest... Is there not some interview or bio or something which gives us an idea of how much input he had in the band lol!? Just as a guide!

I seem to remember on the Factory Records Documentary recently that the band was a co-op. However it's generally agreed that Bernard was/is the brains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭ruthiedv

I'm a musician and,tbh, I used to think that DJing wasn't particularly skilled.
    I think that most people who've said that what Hooky has done is fair enough don't realise how much skill is involved in being a good DJ.
    I saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzOCMgd53uk
    a few years ago and realised there was a lot more to it than I'd thought. As a guitarist, I'd say the equivalent to what he's done there is Fatboy Slim onstage pretending to play to Jimi Hendrix(but turning the machine heads instead of moving his fingers around the frets:D)
    Joy Division were amazing, but I always thought he was a bit of a tw@t with his bass hanging down round his ankles:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

It's show business! And nothing I see would surprise me at this stage...
    jtsuited wrote: »
    and what happens if a mod has a go at me like you did?

I don't know how youse boys know them lads are Mods though. I always had Frobis' down as a bit of a Rocker meself...

Wha!? It says moderator under my name! I obviously misunderstand! (that was on purpose paul)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

get back on your scooter dave:)

scooter? i like the dance reference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

studiorat wrote: »
    It's show business! And nothing I see would surprise me at this stage...

I don't know how youse boys know them lads are Mods though. I always had Frobis' down as a bit of a Rocker meself...

I'm just in it for the scrap round the back of the gig. :cool:

• Advertisement

Look say what you want, "Cover of the Rolling Stone" was just awesome.

Advertisement