Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Forget hard drive shortages, where has all the air gone:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Peter8

I am moving my hard drive into a new pc. I wan't to clear it so its good as new! :D would formating it on this computer then moving it and installing windows on the other do the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Peter8 wrote: »
    I am moving my hard drive into a new pc. I wan't to clear it so its good as new! :D would formating it on this computer then moving it and installing windows on the other do the job?
    During the windows installation there is an option to format your HDD there so you'd be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Is it a new copy of windows? You can just format it in the installation of windows.

• Advertisement

Eboggles wrote: »
    During the windows installation there is an option to format your HDD there so you'd be fine.

Ok so I don't need to format my hard drive before putting it in another system, its all good to just physically pop it in the other pc (with all my current data) and format it from there?

Yes. I think you click custom install or advanced to get the extra options for formatting it. You should disconnect any additional drives during install in case Windows decides to put boot information on another drive.

Monotype wrote: »
    Yes. I think you click custom install or advanced to get the extra options for formatting it. You should disconnect any additional drives during install in case Windows decides to put boot information on another drive.

Ok thanks for the useful information :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Looking at some of the 7970 figures, it seems to overclock like a beast. Anandtech got their sample to 1125MHz, Xbit got to 1130MHz.

[H] managed to get 1125MHz on their ASUS sample, and 1150MHz on the XFX Black edition. From their review, it seems that this isn't even exceptional:
    AMD explained that almost all GPUs would do 1000MHz, a lot would do 1100MHz, and at that time of talking to AMD, it even had a 1200MHz sample running on its test benches.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

deconduo wrote: »
    Looking at some of the 7970 figures, it seems to overclock like a beast. Anandtech got their sample to 1125MHz, Xbit got to 1130MHz.

[H] managed to get 1125MHz on their ASUS sample, and 1150MHz on the XFX Black edition. From their review, it seems that this isn't even exceptional:

What's the stock clock speed on it?

• Advertisement

What's the stock clock speed on it?

925MHz

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

925MHz

Didn't think it was that low (I mean as compared to the overclocked figures you just posted). That is a seriously impressive overclock.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Stop it dude. I really want it and you are just making me excuses to get one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

lads, ultra-low budget cooling...

Xigmatek Loki or Arctic Freezer 7 Pro rev2?

both are €15 on HWVS...

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Nibs05 wrote: »

i hate when they dont add pictures of inside.

it can be gold plated and wraped with Mila jovovich underpants, i wont buy it if i cant see inside of it!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i hate when they dont add pictures of inside.

it can be gold plated and wraped with Mila jovovich underpants, i wont buy it if i cant see inside of it!

Mostly agree with this. I like my cases roomy and sure that the fans are well clear of any obstructions :) Hard to visualise with just words without actually seeing what's inside of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Hear you go lads,

http://www.aerocool.com.tw/index.php/products/chassis/31-pgsr/118-sixthelementwhite

Good cable management grommets, cut for CPU, looks good.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Nibs05 wrote: »
    Hear you go lads,

http://www.aerocool.com.tw/index.php/products/chassis/31-pgsr/118-sixthelementwhite

Good cable management grommets, cut for CPU, looks good.

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    lads, ultra-low budget cooling...

Xigmatek Loki or Arctic Freezer 7 Pro rev2?

both are €15 on HWVS...

can't really say about the xigmatek but my arctic works just great for 15 euro, with my 2500k OCed to 4.5.

• Advertisement

went with the xigmatech in the end... trying something new.

hoping to OC a 960T to ~3.4ghz (from 3.0) if it doesn't unlock. probably asking too much for €15 but ill report my findings.

just back from the bank for the transfer. the Ulster Bank guy is hoping that we'll be able to do international transfers online within the next 2 weeks, but they have been telling me that for months.

aaaand I've just realised how much money I've personally sent to HWVS over the last year.. thousands... I want free delivery for my next purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

hoping to OC a 960T to ~3.4ghz (from 3.0) if it doesn't unlock. probably asking too much for €15 but ill report my findings.

just back from the bank for the transfer. the Ulster Bank guy is hoping that we'll be able to do international transfers online within the next 2 weeks, but they have been telling me that for months.

aaaand I've just realised how much money I've personally sent to HWVS over the last year.. thousands... I want free delivery for my next purchase.

Think about how much has been saved tho. Imagine if you bought all of that on komplett :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

I've a Xigmatek Achilles (similar to the Loki) cooling an AthlonII x4 620 in an Antec 300 and it keeps it just above ambient room temps at idle , and under full load with Prime95 , it never goes above 35 degrees .

When I had it overclocked to 3.2Ghz , the temps only went up by a couple of degrees .

Great value cooler .

I'd say you'd easily manage that unless you get a dud. Sure I got an X3 up to 3.8 with a stock X6 cooler and it's still running fairly cool. You'd have an extra core but the Loki is a better heatsink. Let us know how it goes anyway.
    Think about how much has been saved tho. Imagine if you bought all of that on komplett :pac:.

He'd have single-handedly solved any recession in Ireland with all that VAT!

yea that's what I was thinking, but chances are that it's somewhat of a dud if it's locked down anyway.

ideally, I want 3.4 on 6 cores :D
    would be €109 well spent.

on the subject, I've got a spare athlon x3 445 lying around in its box. anyone know what I'd get for it on adverts? it fully unlocks to a phenom x4 with the 6mb l3 cache.

Interesting article on RMA rates of different brands:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/843-6/components-returns-rates-5.html

just wow at SSDs...

- 3.65% Western Digital Caviar Blue (WD10EALS)
    Oooer... I have one of those.

I was just wondering if some of the companies had lower returns because of shorter warranty periods, thinking of Seagate cutting theirs from 5 years to 3 years a while ago - then I discovered that they've now actually reduced it to 1 year for their main drives (Barracuda & Barracuda green 3.5'' + Momentus 2.5'')! I won't be in a hurry to get another one of their drives when they don't trust them themselves. :mad:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/12/16/seagate_cutting_warranties/

just wow at SSDs...

LOL.

just wow at SSDs...

Yeah, when you think that the OCZ RMA rate is 42 times higher than the intel, you see why they cost twice as much. Crucial at 0.8% is also pretty impressive.

• Advertisement

Yeah, when you think that the OCZ RMA rate is 42 times higher than the intel, you see why they cost twice as much. Crucial at 0.8% is also pretty impressive.

OSZ really ****ed up theyr name on those SSDs...

corsair is not that great too... though my 60gb corsair works fine...

*touches wood

Advertisement