Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That's not even the current generation SSDs. Next year's article could be even worse for OCZ. They didn't do well in the RAM either but we don't have to worry about that anymore.
    OSZ really ****ed up theyr name on those SSDs...

corsair is not that great too... though my 60gb corsair works fine...

*touches wood

I used one in my brother's PC that's OK too; I was going to order a Vertex 2 at the time because people were ranting about how great they were but scan offered me a better price on the F60 and I figured that they were pretty much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

so lads, to get some air back in to the room :D

what is your opinion about hybrid hdd/ssd?

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=53210&agid=1464

i know they are not as fast as ssds, but they still faster then hdds.

i had idea to get myself a 1-2tb hdd or 120gb ssd for Steam games. ( i got 60gb boot already too)

but then thought maybe hybrid would be better option? it would be 500-720gb just for games and steam catalog. faster then hdd, but would have way more space for games etc.

just toying with ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Do you really need 500-750 gig of games installed at once?

Loads of games hardly benefit from the SSD loading times anyway, I have an SSD for my OS and I just have Steam installed on a HDD instead.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Do you really need 500-750 gig of games installed at once?

Loads of games hardly benefit from the SSD loading times anyway, I have an SSD for my OS and I just have Steam installed on a HDD instead.

thats what i do too, but games like shogun 2 take freaking ages to load during the battles! BF3 takes advantages, i bet swtor will do too.

i got onlt 60gb+500gb, so i will need some sort of storage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Anyone done/know of a transplant of an XPS 730 H2C to a normal case? i assume it cant be done? BTX etc etc and the water stuff looks fairly odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Peter8

Hey, quick question. I was wondering if my UPS can effect my PSU?

There's different kinds of UPSs but I can't think of any way that it would affect a PSU. Aside from the extra layer of safety, it might provide more regular power which could aid in quality of the power that the PC gets, I suppose. What did you have in mind?

Intel has quietly added seven new Sandy Bridge processors in the i5 and Celeron M series.

The i5-2550K with four cores and 3.4 GHz clock speed replaces the i5-2500K as the i5 flagship product and sells for a tray price of $225, while the 2500K remains at $216.

There are two new "P" processors in the lineup - the i5-2450P (quad-core, 3.2 GHz) and the i5-2380P (quad-core, 3.1 GHz). It is already challenging for the average PC buyer to read and interpret Intel's model numbers. The "P" has, of course, a cryptic meaning: These Sandy Bridges do not have a (functional) graphics core. Compared to their counterparts with graphics support, the P processors are slightly cheaper: The i5-2380P sells for $177, which is $7 less than the i5-2400 (quad-core, 3.1 GHz). The i5-2450P lists for $195, $10 less than the i5-2500 (quad-core, 3.3 GHz).

Also included in the refresh are the Celeron M B815 (dual-core, 1.6 GHz, $86) and B720 (single-core, 1.7 GHz, $70) as well as the Celeron M ULV 867 (dual-core, 1.3 GHz, $134) and 797 (single-core, 1.4 GHz, $107).

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-i5-sandy-bridge-cpu-igp,14587.html

I hope that "replacing" the 2500K as the flagship i5 doesn't mean replacing it entirely with a more expensive and meaningless upgrade (unless you put it in a H61/67 motherboard).

Edit: Actually, the 2550K might be GPU-less as well as the "P" CPUs.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5475/intel-releases-seven-sandy-bridge-cpus

Looks like it's one to avoid.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Monotype wrote: »
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-i5-sandy-bridge-cpu-igp,14587.html

I hope that "replacing" the 2500K as the flagship i5 doesn't mean replacing it entirely with a more expensive and meaningless upgrade (unless you put it in a H61/67 motherboard).

Edit: Actually, the 2550K might be GPU-less as well as the "P" CPUs.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5475/intel-releases-seven-sandy-bridge-cpus

Looks like it's one to avoid.

Yep, no integrated graphics or quicksync. Makes no difference if you're putting it on a P67 board, but keep it in mind if you're going for a Z68 and want to use quicksync.

So I guess people who had bought 2500k are more then safe?

Will love to see some benchmarks on those yokes, but as a gamer I know: 2500k will be really hard to replace.

• Advertisement

looks like 7950 is a great card.

makes more sense 7950 > 7970 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

That sapphire OC edition looks taaaasty!

I forgot that these were due for release today. ~€450 for one at the moment.

The overclock3d guy completely ruins the immersion by saying he's adjusting his microphone or camera! ;-)
    Here's the text review.
    http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/his_hd7950_review/1

Good overclocker. Looks like a good choice but if you've got the money to spend €450, you might not mind spending the extra €70 for a 7970.

Roll on 7800 series!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Monotype wrote: »
    I forgot that these were due for release today. ~€450 for one at the moment.

The overclock3d guy completely ruins the immersion by saying he's adjusting his microphone or camera! ;-)
    Here's the text review.
    http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/his_hd7950_review/1

Good overclocker. Looks like a good choice but if you've got the money to spend €450, you might not mind spending the extra €70 for a 7970.

Roll on 7800 series!

€400 but out of stock:

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=55067&agid=1942

Amazing value if it stays at that price.

€400 would be great value. There's a few outliers in price alright, like a 7970 for €477 too:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=54312

Makes me think that some of the prices are a bit overinflated. Let's hope the market drops to these prices!

for 400eu it looks like a real candy indeed.

lets keep in mind its really really new, so prices might be a bit higher due to demand.

i am really tempted to put my gtx570 on adverts now :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

So if these slides are authentic looks like we can expect the 7750/7770s around February 15 and 7850/7870 three weeks later on the 6th of march.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2012/1/31/amd-to-launch-radeon-hd-77507770-on-february-15-78507870-on-march-6.aspx

Just built my brothers PC, and wanted to look at temps to see how far i can push it.

its a phenom x4 960T, and it runs cold. very cold. it puts my 2500K to shame.

prime95 on a €15 xigmatek loki cooler, and it hit 21 degrees MAX :cool:

and it gets better...

booted into BIOS, and test an unlock.
    on my athlon chip, the mobo reboots 2 or 3 times to get an unlock, this rebooted and straight into windows.... on 6 cores.

im running a prime95 now on it but its flawless so far. temps hit 28 degrees so far but not going higher :cool:

WINNING!

paid €109 for an x6 1090T. im going to OC too...

and it gets better...

testing an OC here. just upped the multiplier to 200x17 to give me an quick 3.4Ghz. left everything else on default/auto..

its solid stable so far. Vcore is 1.224v under load :cool:

man i want to push it hard, but there's no point. this thing is gonna end up in a lab and do nothing all day.

golden chip. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Just built a working PC from 5 broken PCs. Bit of hacksawing needed but now I got an extra PC and I dunno what to do with it :D

Enderman wrote: »
    Just built a working PC from 5 broken PCs. Bit of hacksawing needed but now I got an extra PC and I dunno what to do with it :D

mp3 player on your telly? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

deconduo wrote: »
    €400 but out of stock:

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=55067&agid=1942

Amazing value if it stays at that price.

Tis back in stock now if anyone was looking to get it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭recycled

Will not boot to windows. Stops with CMOS checksum error. I have changed the ram and bios battery without success. Has anybody fixed this issue?

recycled wrote: »
    Will not boot to windows. Stops with CMOS checksum error. I have changed the ram and bios battery without success. Has anybody fixed this issue?
    were going to need more detail.

was the PC working before? any hardware changes?

when you switched out the battery, how long was it out for? if its only out for a few min, the BIOS might not have actually gotten reset. do you have a 'clear CMOS' button on the board?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    were going to need more detail.

was the PC working before? any hardware changes?

when you switched out the battery, how long was it out for? if its only out for a few min, the BIOS might not have actually gotten reset. do you have a 'clear CMOS' button on the board?

Yes it was working fine. Its an old OS win 98 that I was giving away for free. I also tyried moving the jumper for a few minutes & replaced the battery. I don't know how to flash the BIOS without first setting the Bios to boot from USB of floppy. I' stuck eith this one( The board is an abit)
    elgan

Any help!!

the system sounds ancient and the board has probably died from degradation of the BIOS Chip. sorry I can't be of more help.

in other news, AMD's roadmap has been revealed.
    looks like they plan to kick Intel's butt in the ultrabook market (pricing themselves in the $500-$600 range, half that of Intels rrp)

theyre also dropping bulldozer AND graphics core next for new architecture which is interesting.

more here:

www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-Roadmap-Ultrathin-Trinity-ultra-low-power,14624.html

Sounds good. I wouldn't mind an ultrabook myself. I want something with a bit more power than the netbook region but the prices towards €1K is a bit much, so I'd definitely be interested in what they have to offer.

• Advertisement

same boat as yourself. could really use something portable for college, and really dislike a netbook, so an ultra book would be ideal, but I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole at €1000+.

AMD could dominate the market if they release a 25W apu with a bit of muscle sub €600. I'd love to see it paired with a 120gb SSD. it would be an easy 10 hour battery life.

Advertisement