Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Discussion Thread

Options
1105106107108109111»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

MRTULES wrote: »
    Thanks for that guys. Now what I am really wondering is how it stacks up compared to my monster 7300 le which I have been using to play some games on? If it can match this or even beat it, that would be great.

What games do you want to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Wasn't sure where to put this question (sorry mods if in wrong area) but has anyone had any dealings with Computer parts Ireland http://www.computerpartsireland.com and how was it ?

They have a couple of things that I cant seem to get anywhere local.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

7300LE! Wow, what have you been playing on that? Even a Pentium's integrated graphics performance will blow that away completely. Literally 500% faster at least.

Mount and blade warband and minecraft
    :(
    What games do you want to play?

Lol I want to play them all!
    Just "returning" to the PC gaming master race. Im returning from a long long time off. I think the last time was probably when I had a 486, circa 1990 and I was destroying lhx attack chopper, prince of Persia and civilisation. Then along came the SNES in 92 and seeing I was raised on Mario/Zelda on the NES, I dropped that 486 like a tonne of bricks.
    I have a lot of catching up to do and not a lot of cash so if the on board graphics will allow it, I would be happy playing pre 2008 games like currently the only game on my steam account is mount and blade warband and Napoleonic wars. I'm looking at getting Rome total war soon also. Monitor is 1440 x 900 if that makes a difference? So will the g3220 do the job?
    Also appreciated any unmissable games from the last 20 years that I should get. Thanks everyone for the help so far.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

My 770 started giving me trouble last night ,I kept getting a msg bottom right hand corner something about drivers and none of my steam games would work they would just crash to desktop :( oh and I noticed artifacting too,so I rang pcs this morning and there gonna send me a new one,no PC gamimng next few day though :'(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

One of my sticks of RAM has become faulty and causing my PC to restart. This is what I have http://www.amazon.co.uk/Patriot-PVI38G186C9K-Extreme-Masters-Memory/dp/B008U92JHK. Only paid €56 back in March from hardwareversand but they dont sell it anymore from what I see and I dont feel like paying double the price a few months later.

I'll probably be replacing both and was thinking about these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Patriot-1600MHz-Channel-Viper-Memory/dp/B008LTJJM2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1387062503&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Patriot+PVI38G186C9K+8GB. Any thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

Most ram nowadays has a lifetime warranty so you should Rma it.They will ask you to send back the full kit though.If you cant do without it buy the other kit and when they replace your broken ram you can sell it on adverts.Since ram isn't cheap atm you should be able to sell it at close enough price to the outlay of new ram.

Edit: that other kit is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

NeoRox wrote: »
    Wasn't sure where to put this question (sorry mods if in wrong area) but has anyone had any dealings with Computer parts Ireland http://www.computerpartsireland.com and how was it ?

They have a couple of things that I cant seem to get anywhere local.

TIA
    I wouldn't trust them as no contact details on the site as far as I can see. Especially when there are loads of other companies to buy from.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I got a pop up for a new driver geforce r331 but it wont install for some reason,I keep getting an error msg saying "installation cannot continue,installation package is corrupt" anyone else get this? I have 770gtx.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

mine updated ok Im afraid (780) - I figure it downloads to a temp location, and you'll prob need to find and delete the package so it retrieves it again

Wossack wrote: »
    mine updated ok Im afraid (780) - I figure it downloads to a temp location, and you'll prob need to find and delete the package so it retrieves it again

That sorted it I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Happened to me aswell. I just downloaded it from the website manually. Even when I did that the UK site was slow as hwll. Ended up doing it from the .com site.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Corsair enter the mITX market with 250D, I don't really like it though, especially considering it is almost the same size as an mATX prodigy.

http://techreport.com/news/25872/the-obsidian-series-250d-is-corsair-first-mini-itx-case

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Looks pretty and nice dimensions,nothing special imo and but looks more limited than the prodigy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://gizmodo.com/razers-modular-desktop-makes-building-a-pc-like-playin-1496479940?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

ku-xlarge.jpg

Possibly wont catch on but interesting innovation.

Building Pcs a long time and im still annoyed that the only thing that changes is what connects to the mother board not how...

Changing the angle of the PSU 24 pin doesnt count :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

dreamers75 wrote: »
    http://gizmodo.com/razers-modular-desktop-makes-building-a-pc-like-playin-1496479940?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

ku-xlarge.jpg

Possibly wont catch on but interesting innovation.

Building Pcs a long time and im still annoyed that the only thing that changes is what connects to the mother board not how...

Changing the angle of the PSU 24 pin doesnt count :pac:

that wont be cheap in any terms and mineral oil cooling is amazing but that tower will way a ton

speaking of things i like

dell 4k 28" ips monitor for $699 out end of the month

ive found a birthday present for myself:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

NTMK wrote: »
    that wont be cheap in any terms and mineral oil cooling is amazing but that tower will way a ton

Its more the modular design for me rather than the cooling and form factor(altho my pc is water cooled lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Its more the modular design for me rather than the cooling and form factor(altho my pc is water cooled lol)

Aye, that was that thing that impressed me. This looks like something practical and actually useful. If we would get Modular PCs like that, it would be way more attractive for those who still afraid of them and think that PCs are powered by VooDoo imps.
    Its all depends now who will they market it for. If they will market it as an expensive "cool new thing for coolest PC elitist kids", then it is doomed already. If they push it down to same level ( or just a bit more expensive ) as normal parts prices and market it to people who want to start off Pc gaming with Zero Anal Pain, then they have a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

NTMK wrote: »

:eek:

Have things progressed that much?

It's not like 30 Hz or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Gbear wrote: »
    :eek:

Have things progressed that much?

It's not like 30 Hz or anything?

Dammit i went to confirm whether it was 60 or 30 and it turns out my CES source got info mixed up with the U24 4k

24" is a 60hz ips @ $1400
    28" is a 30hz(@4K) TN for $700 which is in line with most Chinese panel pricings atm

EDIT: It seems like no ones exactly sure and dell havent reveal many specs yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Anyone recommend a good 550W PSU? Have been looking at the Corsair CS550M. Would like a modular one ideally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Just read that intel are launching Haswell-E a quarter early straight after the trade show in Taiwan in June. Hopefully the mobo and DDR4 manufacturers will be ready too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

PCIE 4.0 and Sata Express are coming with Skylake as well so if you're waiting for new tech you might want to wait until then.

Saying that G-cards atm are nowhere near maxing pcie 3.0 bandwidth. A faster sata port is definitely needed for ssd's though. Sata 3 got maxed out ages ago by the fast ones.

Advertisement