Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United Ireland Poll

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Hrududu wrote: »
    A friend of mine is from the North and has a British passport so I think you need to recalibrate your logic here.

A British passport or a UK one?

Have a look before you are so quick to come back to me with your sh!te talk.

UK means the United Kingdom of Britain and N. Ireland.....hmmmm have you figured it out yet?

Recalibrate me ar.se

No, Northern Ireland is part of the UK which itself is a country. This is why most of the people that want to remain part of the UK mention it as the province of Ulster, which itself is bollox since it´s only part of Ulster.

Reality check. Britain is Scotland, Wales and England....not Northern Ireland. This is fact, not my opinion. If you are Northern Irish, in a sense you are Irish, just from the Northern part...yes????

The people can have a UK passport and a Republic of Ireland passport, not a British one.

So, my point stands, that it is impossible to say you are British if not born in Britian or if you have not lived there........Of course you could be of British decent...

Now you should all be put right by that.

Strange that people don´t know the difference between the UK and Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

This is what it looks like:
    http://www.askcab.co.uk/upimages/radviceazPetes-passport.jpg
    T'would be pedantic in the extreme to splutter at him that his passport was a United Kingdom one rather than a British one. He calls it a British passport, its his choice of words.

This is what it looks like:
    http://www.askcab.co.uk/upimages/radviceazPetes-passport.jpg
    T'would be pedantic in the extreme to splutter at him that his passport was a United Kingdom one rather than a British one. He calls it a British passport, its his choice of words.

Sorta like saying you have a Trinidad passport when you´re from Tabago? Kinda silly really, but you´re logic is arseways anyway.

No, don´think it would be pedantic. He´s got a UK passport. His choice of words are not fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    No, the north is naturally part of Ireland so it should be part of a United Ireland no matter what % want to or not.

Jesus Christ, if you can't see what's wrong with this reasoning, there's no point debating it. I really feel like Boston is kind of Irish. Can we have that too? I mean, obviously most of the people there wouldn't want it, but whatever, they can suck it.

Also, anybody who's posting just to say "Well, I'm not going to outline my opinion, or back it up with any rational argument, but I'm glad people are voting yes like they're supposed to. Everybody else makes me sick!!11!!1 eleventy one111!!!1.." - just don't bother. Save yourself the typing time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

No, don´think it would be pedantic. He´s got a UK passport. His choice of words are not fact.
    But isnt that the crux of the whole matter? People choosing what to call themselves? Some people in the North choose to call themselves Irish, some call themselves British, others just go for Northern Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

No, Northern Ireland is part of the UK which itself is a country. This is why most of the people that want to remain part of the UK mention it as the province of Ulster, which itself is bollox since it´s only part of Ulster.

Reality check. Britain is Scotland, Wales and England....not Northern Ireland. This is fact, not my opinion. If you are Northern Irish, in a sense you are Irish, just from the Northern part...yes????

The people can have a UK passport and a Republic of Ireland passport, not a British one.

So, my point stands, that it is impossible to say you are British if not born in Britian or if you have not lived there........Of course you could be of British decent...

Ah..

An oasis of sense within a desert full of sh1te.

I too find it remarkable that people get confused by the whole NI, Britain, UK thing.

And as you also refer to I hate the abuse of the term "Ulster". It is frequently used by Unionists who are referring to the 6 counties and who do not give a sh1t about Monaghan, Cavan or Donegal. Also, I enjoy rugby and occasionally go to Ravenhill to watch a game. It irritates me to see people waving the NI flag at an Ulster team. Very few people wave the proper yellow Ulster flag.

Guess I went a bit off topic there.

Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

A friend of mine is from the North and has a British passport so I think you need to recalibrate your logic here.

I kind of think alot of people need to. A person can be Welsh and British, Scots and British, English and British, Cornish and British, Manx and British or God forgive me Irish and British. It's up to the individual how they want to call themselves. After all these have been the British Isles (and that's a plural) since about two and a half thousand years ago. Great Britain is called 'great' because it's the bigger island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Its like saying certain parts of Boston in the US should be a part of Ireland because of the percentage of Irish living there, its a stupid thing to say.

Um, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I am a patriot so I naturally voted yes. I am grad to see that more people seem to be saying yes to no which makes me glad. From reading these boards sometimes you get the impression its all west-EUROPEAN liberals, its nice to see they are in the minority.

Fixed - you're welcome.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    I kind of think alot of people need to. A person can be Welsh and British, Scots and British, English and British, Cornish and British, Manx and British or God forgive me Irish and British. It's up to the individual how they want to call themselves. After all these have been the British Isles (and that's a plural) since about two and a half thousand years ago. Great Britain is called 'great' because it's the bigger island.

Good post

I always though Great Britain refered to it being great, as in a powerful empire sense. But Great Britain is a geographical term and is far older then the British Empire

Great Britain was the main British Isle
    Minor Britain was Normandy & possibly Brittany.

Both were ruled by the Normans at one stage. Back in the time of William the Conqueror in 1066.
    Only learned that last week, I was ill-informed for years.

Ha, good old Wikipedia eh. There has never been Irish Britanny or any of the like. It´s understandable in the French situation when the area is actually called Britanny.

Great Britain is not called GREAT due to it being the biggest of the Brittish Isles.....this is pure bollox...micmclo cleared this up in his last post with the help of Wiki wiki.

Look if you´re born on any part of the Island, technically you are Irish, be it of British decent. People can think what they like. I call Derry Derry but to most of the people in the UK it is Londonderry. This is fact. That is is situation and all this he calls himself British is bull.

micmclo wrote: »
    Good post

The Greeks called Great Britain and Irleand the Pretannic Isles and the inhabitants Pretans because we were all painted in woad. The word Briton is a corruption of this title so it's a pity our ancient name has got bogged down in political significance IMO. We were all West Prets here long before we even knew it was an insult :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Reality check. Britain is Scotland, Wales and England....not Northern Ireland.

This is fact, not my opinion. If you are Northern Irish, in a sense you are Irish, just from the Northern part...yes????

Except it's very possible, British people are the inhabitants of Great Britain or citizens of the United Kingdom. The term can be used on both with equal validity, it's up to the individual how they want to be identified.

In short, you have no authority on how the people of the north identify themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Great Britain is not called GREAT due to it being the biggest of the Brittish Isles.....this is pure bollox...micmclo cleared this up in his last post with the help of Wiki wiki.

Didn't use wikpaedia, it was on Talking History on Newstalk 106

Look if you´re born on any part of the Island, technically you are Irish, be it of British decent. People can think what they like. I call Derry Derry but to most of the people in the UK it is Londonderry. This is fact. That is is situation and all this he calls himself British is bull.

No you're being a little intolerant and failing to see what I was saying. Namely that human beings are allowed to call themselves whatever the hell they like. Who are you to decide what other people must call themselves? The logical conclusion of your argument is that Scots must only call themselves Scots and Welsh only Welsh etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I am a patriot so I naturally voted yes. I am grad to see that more people seem to be saying yes to no which makes me glad. From reading these boards sometimes you get the impression its all west-brit liberals, its nice to see they are in the minority.
    Why do you always use the term "liberal" as a negative? And why do you think "liberal" and "West Brit" go hand in hand? Eoghan Harris, renowned West Brit, is anything but liberal...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

OK, you are technically correct.

You might have a job convincing people on the Shankill Road that though!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Seanies32 wrote: »
    OK, you are technically correct.

You might have a job convincing people on the Shankill Road that though!

Fair enough pal. This is where we have to meet half way. This is why Bertie says Northern Ireland now, instead of the North. He is accepting that at this time the situation is that the state of Northern Ireland exists.

O'Coonassa, people will say I am Irish because I was born in Ireland lived there all my life. I can say I am Chinese, but we all know that would be just a different brand of sh!te as to what you spat out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭escobar

We're going off the subject a bit here.
    But to clarify a point. Britian is the name of one island. The other being called Ireland .

To call both Islands the British Isles donotes ownership by Britian of both Islands. Slightly insulting perhaps.

Also to be british you may have to be from Britian, :confused: However no Scottish or Welsh person I've met has referred to themselves as British. It is up to the person themselves as you say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I have just read this thread in it's entirety and as a Northern republican, living in Dublin I feel compelled to throw in my two cents worth.
    Firstly it is great to see there are young southerners out there like dlofnep and K'bereger who feel as passionately about this as myself.
    Secondly it is very sad to see the apathy of people in the no-camp with their purely economic based reasons for voting No. It is really sad to think that we cannot even count on the support of the southern irish people who have it as a part of their constitution that the 6 counties are part of their territory and intend on getting it back. Rb_ie makes a series of very depressing points IMO and has displayed some very childish and at times abusive tendencies in his/her posts. I have reported abuse BTW.

From my point of view, while the British occupation of the 6 counties is fundamentally wrong, unfortunately we just have to live with it as a reality. I see the role of a republican in the north today as one of having to convince the Unionists that a united ireland is good for them. I think the tide of change is in the air up north and because of peace and power sharing, people are generally coming around in their views. Just recently I was on holiday and had this conversation with a few northern 'unionists'. i have no doubt that as reasonable people they are beginning to see a united Ireland as a benefit to them. They openly said to me that since the day they saw ian Paisley in Dublin,shaking hands and laughing and joking with Bertie Ahern that their conception of the Rep ireland has changed. they have no problem describing themselves as Irish when asked by people of other nationalities.

Realistically we would only have to convince about 10% of unionists to vote for a united ireland in order to get a majority vote in the north. I don't think this day is too far away.

What is sad, however, is to see that some people in the south are more pro british in their views than the latter day Paisley. Who would have thought that possible?

To the no camp I say how sad would it be if the majority in the North voted yes for a united ireland and at the same time, the south voted No?

I can say I am Chinese, but we all know that would be just a different brand of sh!te as to what you spat out.

So according to your logic Irish people born here cannot be Chinese in origin or if they are they aren't allowed to say that. Well done! that isn't at all bigoted is it?

So according to your logic Irish people born here cannot be Chinese in origin or if they are they aren't allowed to say that. Well done! that isn't at all bigoted is it?

Nice quoting....you should work for the News of the World, I said that I was born here and lived here all my life.

Are you supposed to be this stupid or is it a joke?

Here, here to what menoscemo said.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Are you supposed to be this stupid or is it a joke?

Enough. If ye can't play nice together and keep this from getting personal then this thread is gonna be binned.

No you're being a little intolerant and failing to see what I was saying. Namely that human beings are allowed to call themselves whatever the hell they like. Who are you to decide what other people must call themselves? The logical conclusion of your argument is that Scots must only call themselves Scots and Welsh only Welsh etc.

I think you're a little confused O Coonassa. Of course anyone can call themselves anything they want . That however doesn't make it correct.

Britian is the larger of the two Islands which includes Scotland, Wales and England. If you're not from that Island you cannot call yourself British and be correct. It would get a little confusing if you could just make up where you're from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

id vote no. Theres too much hatred up there. Leave them to their own bitter little arguments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

menoscemo wrote: »

To the no camp I say how sad would it be if the majority in the North voted yes for a united ireland and at the same time, the south voted No?

Not half as sad as some major countries in the EU voting No to Lisbon and Ireland voting yes.

I don't care if you think it's sad to see people saying no for purely economic reasons. They're pretty good reasons to say NO and as far as I'm concerned, 10,000,000 times better than the reasons the Yes camp are giving for their opinions.

Agree with what Menoscemo said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

id vote no. Theres too much hatred up there. Leave them to their own bitter little arguments.

Have you ever been 'up there'? There is less hatred everyday, and obvioulsy the north would never vote yes anyway until there was a lot less hatred. So what is your point?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 GhettoSoldier

rb_ie wrote: »
    Wow, I'm shocked you went through the trouble of typing all that out. Just goes to show how passionate some of you IRA hugging, terrorism supporting, immigrant bashing people really are.

To be honest, if you're using the term "West Brit" (a term coined over 200 years ago) regularly you're probably no better than the skanger sitting down the back of the bus with a celtic jersey on having a few joints.

Sinn Fein and other republicans are left wing anti racist parties

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement