Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United Ireland Poll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

they arent locals theyre from bloody yorkshire and places like that stationed over here . Theyre a foreign garrison . Irish troops in lebanon arent flipping locals .

Ask Unionists are they foreign?

Never said it was awful.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kreuzberger

Seanies32 wrote: »
    Ask Unionists are they foreign?

Never said it was awful.

why would i need a unionists advice ?

Why would you indeed! Who cares!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Why would you indeed! Who cares!

as such opinions would vary depending on whether or not there was a foot and mouth/ blue tongue outbreak or not it couldnt really be relied upon .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

no , your now telling lies because you clealry havent a logical point to make and made a fool of yourself earlier with your snobby remarks about people from lower income brackets which went down like a lead balloon .

Anyone with even the slightest hint of intelligence would have realised I wasn't talking about people in rougher areas of Dublin as a whole.

• Advertisement

Nuff said!

rb_ie wrote: »
    Anyone with even the slightest hint of intelligence would have realised I wasn't talking about people in rougher areas of Dublin as a whole.

seriously...i have this mental image of you

http://www.nndb.com/people/125/000098828/terry-thomas-1-sized.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Oh well that's quite funny because this is what I thought of while reading your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Why does the thread about breaking up a catfight suddenly spring to mind?

javaboy wrote: »

ive found it quite hard to shake that image also

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    Better get the popcorn!

Better get the popcorn!

*** stubs out major , rolls up sleeves, removes hooped earrings****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

I think the way you refer to Brits is different to the way the Unionists would refer to Brits!
    Funny thing is even the Brits don't want the north. Its an embarrasment to them and a drain on the coffers. Get a certain type of man from NI and he'll say he's English. Ask any actual English person what he is, and the answer will be "Irish". Cue sorrowful and bemused looks from the "loyalist" as his master race denies him. :rolleyes: (I've actually seen this happen).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I voted for 'undecided' cause at this stage I really don't give a shit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Interesting thread despite all the bickering.

Having worked in Belfast I can point out that a huge number of workers are employed by the state.
    I've seen figures of 30% and a cost of 7.5 billion on this thread. I don't know if they are correct but the cost of a united Ireland would be collasal to the Irish taxpayer no doubt. And since we're heading into a recession I can't imagine the panic if it happened overnight.

I reckon a United Ireland will happen but at least 10 years and more likely 20 years away.I'll see it in my lifetime but not anytime soon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rider

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I voted for 'undecided' cause at this stage I really don't give a shit.
    then dont vote. I dont think there should be an Undecided option, if you are Undecided or indeed as Xavi puts it, dosnt give a sh*t, then dont vote at all. At least that way we will see an accurate representation of how results might look if there were to be a referendum (spell?), based on the views who 'do give a sh*t' and would turn out to vote.
    Ramble over, though no goal achieved as the Undecided people seem to be fully established.
    To those who say why should we take the North's problems?

Of 1916
    "...We declare the right of the people of Ireland to the ownership of Ireland and to the unfettered control of Irish destinies, to be soverign and indefeasable..." Signed - PH Pearse and others. - lest the traitors forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

rider wrote: »
    then dont vote. I dont think there should be an Undecided option, if you are Undecided or indeed as Xavi puts it, dosnt give a sh*t, then dont vote at all. At least that way we will see an accurate representation of how results might look if there were to be a referendum (spell?), based on the views who 'do give a sh*t' and would turn out to vote.
    Ramble over, though no goal achieved as the Undecided people seem to be fully established.

Of 1916
    "...We declare the right of the people of Ireland to the ownership of Ireland and to the unfettered control of Irish destinies, to be soverign and indefeasable..." Signed - PH Pearse and others. - lest the traitors forget.

The don't care vote is an important vote too. Why shouldn't it be? Not everyone was a feckless romantic like Padraig Pearse. Let's not confuse the time, this is 2008. The Northern Irish are as different to you as the citizens of any other country. Which is not all that different. There are a thousand more pressing issues, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

rider wrote: »

Of 1916

So we should take on the Norths problems because Padraig Pearse said we were entitled to it almost an entire century ago? Good man, that's a well thought out argument and will surely convince any 'traitors' to see the error of their thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Unification would make total sense. We wouldn´t have any more smuggling issues. An All ireland police force would make sense. Not having to change money at all wherever you drive would make sense.

The North has received a lot of aid from America due to the peace process. The Republic is also doing well because of the US economy wise. I think a lot of money would be pumped in from the States if we got our act together and went ahead with a united Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    O'Connassa - I agree with you, but the problem is the law doesn't. There IS cumpolsory irish, there IS religion on the state education system. Will it be applied to the entire Ireland it it were to be united?

Uh what I'm driving at is that it is our law, backwards as it is, and that because it is our law we should change it with a view making our country more attractive to Unionist Irishmen. We should do this sooner rather than later IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I am a patriot so I naturally voted yes. I am grad to see that more people seem to be saying yes to no which makes me glad. From reading these boards sometimes you get the impression its all west-brit liberals, its nice to see they are in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    I am a patriot so I naturally voted yes.

I'm a patriot and I voted no (naturally).

In theory I think a united Ireland makes logical sense. But if the vote was today I'd vote no. Northern Ireland needs time to rebuild its economy so as not to be a burden on the rest of us. Also I think it should only happen if a majority of each community wishes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

rb_ie wrote: »
    Compare Ireland pre-invasion to Ireland post-invasion/our independence. I think that the country progessed as a whole quicker than it would have done on it's own.

IMO you are making a really huge assumption here and I don't see what you have to base such a massive leap of faith upon. In all honesty it looks like nothing other than pro-British prejudice.

Prior to the Pope ordering the Anglo-Norman invasion this land was a light of knowledge shining in the darkness of dark age Europe. The Celtic Christian Church that the Pope was so keen to shut down earned us the title of the 'land of saints and scholars'. In many respects the Brehon Law that was influenced by our advanced thinking was far in advance of what our European brothers and sisters had to suffer under.

The country was only united for the first time under Boru in the earlyc.11th and of course National development is entirely dependant on such unity. I truly believe we were going places as a Nation and there is plenty of evidence to point to this. To my mind there is no telling what a bastion of enlightenment we may have developed into.

Of course the Bull Laudabiliter put a stop to our National development so there is simply no way of telling. However I am hard set to see how you can reach the opposite conclusion that you have reached. Indeed I think from the evidence there is every reason to assert that the Norman and Tudor invasions did a great deal to retard our development. Of course their propoganda always asserted the opposite of this but I must confess that I'm surprised to see an Irishman arguing in its favour. Perhaps you have some concrete historical facts that I'm unaware of that you'd like to draw my attention to?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They only way Northern Ireland should become part of a United Ireland is if a clear majority of people living in the six counties vote for it to be so in a referendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

They only way Northern Ireland should become part of a United Ireland is if a clear majority of people living in the six counties vote for it to be so in a referendum.

This is the sad fact because of injustice in the past. I think most people will go along with this today, though it´s not really fair. Northern Ireland is not a real country.....and you cannot call yourself British if you were not born there and have never lived there(Britian) .

Everyone from the north is Irish whether they like it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Northern Ireland is not a real country.....
    Yes it is.
    and you cannot call yourself British if you were not born there and have never lived there(Britian) .

yes you can, and more people in the north regard themselves as british than irish.

No, the people of Northern Ireland are jointly British and Irish citizens, and individuals may choose to assert either or both as they choose fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Because you say so?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

No, the north is naturally part of Ireland so it should be part of a United Ireland no matter what % want to or not. If the british in the 6 countys want to live in britain then they should return to their mainland and leave this country once and for all. Its like saying certain parts of Boston in the US should be a part of Ireland because of the percentage of Irish living there, its a stupid thing to say.

I'm a patriot and I voted no (naturally).

In theory I think a united Ireland makes logical sense. But if the vote was today I'd vote no. Northern Ireland needs time to rebuild its economy so as not to be a burden on the rest of us. Also I think it should only happen if a majority of each community wishes it.

A patriot of england?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

you cannot call yourself British if you were not born there and have never lived there(Britian) .

A friend of mine is from the North and has a British passport so I think you need to recalibrate your logic here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement