Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Hey, My sight is perfect now thanks! I only got 1 eye done cos the other has near perfect vision, about 4 days after the surgery I noticed a massive difference, so much so that I am now considering getting the other "perfect" eye done cos the new one puts it to shame!
    Ive just been concentrating on hitting the gym 3/4 times a week and watching my diet the last 2 weeks, so thats keeping my mind of the wait. Its always there in my head though, biggest fear is that when i do get to do the PCT , therell be no spots for August. ah! Hopefully that wont happen though.

:D at least it will give your previous stronger eye a chance to relax with the strength it needed before the surgery ...

You know considering the push they gave you before the May intake i highly doubt that they would push you to the back of the queue for August esp when your background checks have all been done aswell ... and you get 2chances at the PCT aswell so it looks more probable for you than some right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Im banking on August. Dont think I could stick my current job another 3 months !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭blue2b

anyone know when the pct are starting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

I did indeed, the Mater Private hospital. Would highly recommend them.

Being nosey here, pm me if you would rather.:p

can/did you get it done on vhi,buba ect?

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    Being nosey here, pm me if you would rather.:p

can/did you get it done on vhi,buba ect?

No I didnt, I dont think its covered by them. You can claim tax relief on it though up to your highest rate of tax that you pay.

• Advertisement

No I didnt, I dont think its covered by them. You can claim tax relief on it though up to your highest rate of tax that you pay.

ah grand, just a cousin on mine hasnt great sight in one of his eyes and with me being accepted joining the garda is something he is really looking into.

But would have to get the laser done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Ali08

Does anybody know, if your medical is deferred, how long can it be deferred for?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cathalfeely

just after reading through this thread i have read that when you are told your date for the medical they also tell you not to listen to earphones for the week before it. i work in a nightclub and do that maybe 5 nights a week (although i do wear earplugs every night). Was just wondering if i get called for a medical would I be better booking that week before it off work????So that my hearing would be up to scratch??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

just after reading through this thread i have read that when you are told your date for the medical they also tell you not to listen to earphones for the week before it. i work in a nightclub and do that maybe 5 nights a week (although i do wear earplugs every night). Was just wondering if i get called for a medical would I be better booking that week before it off work????So that my hearing would be up to scratch??

maybe get the doc to syringe them a week por two before,clear them out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

I would take few days off if i was in your situation. Hearing test is pretty tough.

• Advertisement

Yeah , personally I wouldnt go into a nightclub environment / listen to loud music for 3 days before the test.

ojewriej wrote: »
    I would take few days off if i was in your situation. Hearing test is pretty tough.
    Yeah , personally I wouldnt go into a nightclub environment / listen to loud music for 3 days before the test.
    shakin wrote: »
    maybe get the doc to syringe them a week por two before,clear them out

Cheers guys, thats my mind made up on it anyway...Just wish these stupid exam rexults would hurry up and be recognised, the wait is killing me, just to find out one way or the other......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

This post is for all the girlie's waiting to do the Medical:

1 Present yourself at the reception area of the clinic where you will be given
    a letter outlining the procedure. Fill in a questionnaire.

2 Prepare Urine Sample ( by product of all that water you drank before
    hand!)

3 Wait to be called.

4 Wait to be called. :D

5 Urine tested, form discussed.

6 Hearing test
    This is nerve racking because we've all heard stories about how hard
    it is. I was advised by HQ not to listen to headphones for eight hours
    before hand. This is defo a tough one. You should slow down your
    breathing because you really have to concentrate and you honestly can
    hear your heart beat with the nerves! But please don't be put off, do this & ye'll be grand.

7 Blood Pressure taken

8 Lung functioning test.

9 Up-Stairs to the Doctor (Female Doctor is lovely).
    - Spine Checked
    - Flexibility test (i.e. touch your toes)
    - Balance test (i.e. stand on one foot and then alternate)
    - Light stimulus test of the eyes.
    - Ears and throat checked.
    - Breast check.
    - Surprisingly a cough test for ladies too!
    - Weight, BMI & percentage body fat ( I was chuffed I lost half a stone for
    this test and got my bmi down by 2%)
    -Eye Test
    Now I don't know if it was me but that was the hardest eye test I've ever
    done. I got my eyes checked about two months ago with the latest in techno
    equipment but as soon as I looked into the device everything appeared
    blurry and started to kind off start crossing over on each other. I really
    concentrated and got through it. I was only asked to read the tiny
    numbers not like an eye chart at all.

Glad it's over, relieved to have passed. PCT date given afterwards. I was in at 10:30 and out at 13:00 hrs. So now the work outs continue for this PCT as I'm dreading the push pull! I hate that they keep reminding you even if you pass all four stages your not guaranteed a place. God it would be cruel not to get a place after all this!!

Best of luck to all waiting. I hope this helps.

P.S.

For anyone concerned about weight. The Doctor mentioned to me that anyone who is overweight is put through a little exercise test. I don't know exactly what that means but what I read from it is that they won't automatically rule you out they'll see how you do in that test so thats fair. Maybe somebody who had to do this could explain further?

I was advised not to wear headphones eight hours before the test. Having said that I can't imagine a night club being great for you. I'm sure the fact you wear earplugs will stand to you. Curious about one thing though - How do you work with them in???? I wouldn't like to be ordering a drink or calling you on the radio if your Security !!!!:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Controller ... well done girl :) You must be delighted, you're one step closer

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Controller ... well done girl :) You must be delighted, you're one step closer

Thanks Kerry. Relieved ya, going to have to put alot of effort now into the last stage. Hows things with you? How is the Reserve process going? At least these recruitment drives are still going strong.

Congrats Controller :)

Just make sure to get under 3 mins on the PCT course and make the push pull easier on yourself.

But the push n pull is handier than the course imo.

Congrats Controller :)

But the push n pull is handier than the course imo.

Yeah, good for you controller.

I thought the push&pull was easier, but I would say it's different for girls

well it can and cant be i guess, its much more technique than strength. Every girl on the day i did my pct had to push more than the lads because they did the course slower than the males. But stil none failed, one girl even got more than one of the lads. It was fairly handy i thought,almost doubled what i had to get in it with 43kg.

Just watch out and make sure you get the Beeps during it and you'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭quirkek2

blue2b wrote: »
    well done fair play. what percentage chane to ya think ya hav on making it for august .are backgrounds done for ya yet?
    Hey sorry havn't been on in a few days. No, background checks still pending...they said it could be a few weeks, could be 10 weeks...he really didnt know. He said as soon as the outside agency get back to him then he'll ring me. He said I have good chance of being in for August all going well. He certainly never mentioned November to me anyway. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

well it can and cant be i guess, its much more technique than strength. Every girl on the day i did my pct had to push more than the lads because they did the course slower than the males. But stil none failed, one girl even got more than one of the lads. It was fairly handy i thought,almost doubled what i had to get in it with 43kg.

Just watch out and make sure you get the Beeps during it and you'll be grand.

Thanks for the encouragement Mason. I’m 5Ft 3 and am working out about 3 times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

For the eye test, do you read the chart with the 2 eyes or must u cover i @ a time, im woundering cause it sayd binocular vision which is using the 2 eyes togeather ??:confused::confused: Also how long roughtly wait from when you meet the super untill you so the medical:confused:;):D

Thanks .........

controller wrote: »
    I was advised not to wear headphones eight hours before the test. Having said that I can't imagine a night club being great for you. I'm sure the fact you wear earplugs will stand to you. Curious about one thing though - How do you work with them in???? I wouldn't like to be ordering a drink or calling you on the radio if your Security !!!!:D;)

I am part of security and its grand...Infact all they do is bring down the noise level to a standard that it will not damage my hearing over a period of time. Also in regards to the radio i can hear a call alot better with the earplugs in rather to them being out,weird i know. This will be funny to my current employer if i get called for the medical, "can i have this week off work please???" "why" "so that my hearing will be ok so i can hopefully get another job....."

controller wrote: »
    Thanks for the encouragement Mason. I’m 5Ft 3 and am working out about 3 times a week.

You doing any weights work? Don't worry it wont make you look like a man, itll just build your strength without changing your appearance (woman dont gain muscle)

For the eye test, do you read the chart with the 2 eyes or must u cover i @ a time, im woundering cause it sayd binocular vision which is using the 2 eyes togeather ??:confused::confused: Also how long roughtly wait from when you meet the seargent untill you so the medical:confused:;):D

Thanks .........

They will test your both eyes, together and separately.

As for length of the wait - it's differrent for everybody, they are organised separately, so there is no rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

What sort of flexibility test do you do in the medical with the doc?

Paolo5 wrote: »

i didnt do any, to my knowledge anyways.

Paolo5 wrote: »

Bend down and touch your toes, as easy as that.:)

• Advertisement

they asked you to do that? :eek:

Advertisement