Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

srdb20 wrote: »
    Not the dreaded "running out of spaces rumour:eek::eek::eek:!!!" Ahhh:D

Kaizer ill be seeing you in August!!!

Let's hope so :cool: How ya feeling about tomorrow? Fairly calm Id say, sure ya have all the preparation done at this stage

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    everyone just wants to start with me ;)

Only cos you're buying the first night :D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

everyone just wants to start with me ;)

F**kin' sure we do. You will be buying all the drink. It's not cos we think you're great or anything!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

haha touché!

dont forget to tape up those old knee's haz, dont want you getting hurt going down them stairs.

haha touché!

dont forget to tape up those old knee's haz, dont want you getting hurt going down them stairs.

You mean to say they dont have a stairlift for us oldtimers?? Well that's just discrimination. :D:D
    Wont bother me at all. I'll just slide down the handrail. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭LeSurfer

Haz33 wrote: »
    This is just my opinion and my intention is not to get your hopes up but because the background checks can be so extensive and labour intensive they tend not to start these until the candidate has been successful at interview stage. It would be my guess you were successful and they have started but I wouldn't have a clue how they vet your school qualifications. The fact they have started does not necessarily guarantee you progression in the competition. Hope this helps!!

thanks for that Haz!

@pvt.joker,he didn't mention anything about places filling up quickly,what he meant was my background checks wouldn't be complete for the august intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nd001

Paolo5 wrote: »
    I did interview on April 18th - still waiting ...

Anyone else around this time or after whose application has moved on???

Hi Paolo5. You might want to check your progress with someone. I did my interview on may 14th and had my med last week. It was very suprising the pace of it all I must admit so not really sure what the story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭HoneyButterfly

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me how strict they are with the eye test? My brother has to wear glasses for a lot of things and he is colour blind. Not majorly so, but when green and red appear close together he sometimes has some initial difficulty differentiating them.
    Anyway, he is has his mind completely made up for the past 2 years that he wants to go into the Garda after school (he is going into 6th year this Sept). How strict are they about the colour blindness?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

He wont fail for being color blind and you can get Laser eye surgery to correct vision, but if he does get into AGS he wont be able to drive a patrol car, i believe thats the only restriction for color blindness.

So tell him to go for it:)

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me how strict they are with the eye test? My brother has to wear glasses for a lot of things and he is colour blind. Not majorly so, but when green and red appear close together he sometimes has some initial difficulty differentiating them.
    Anyway, he is has his mind completely made up for the past 2 years that he wants to go into the Garda after school (he is going into 6th year this Sept). How strict are they about the colour blindness?

Any GP will be able to test him with the colour charts. This is all they do in the medical. If he passes those he should be fine. He should go for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭HoneyButterfly

Thanks guys,
    theres some technicality with the option of laser treatment for him. And he has been tested for colour blindness before like. I was just wondering how strict they are on it...like if he passed everything else he would still get in? He wants to do a degree in Criminology and most likely go into the drugs squad area of the Garda, so maybe the whole not driving a squad car might not be a problem anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Paudie223

Well lads. Just wondering what do they mean when they say eyesight can be correctable, by laser?? not sure how good is 6/12 anyway?

They mean you can get laser eye surgery and still be accepted into AGS.

Paudie223 wrote: »
    Well lads. Just wondering what do they mean when they say eyesight can be correctable, by laser?? not sure how good is 6/12 anyway?

normal vision can be corrected, corrected with laser surgery if you wear glasses. 6/12 in both eyes without glasses and contact lenses is enough to get you tru medical.

Right cheers and how would i be able to tell if my eyes are upto the requirement without having to go to my doctor lets say. Maybe a chart on the net?

Go to an opticians and get a basic eye test, wont be that expensive, might even get it for free if ya have a medical card or something.

Then you will have an idea if you will pass or not....

Right cheers and how would i be able to tell if my eyes are upto the requirement without having to go to my doctor lets say. Maybe a chart on the net?

There are internet charts but to be honest I wouldn't trust them. Go the an optician with the required standards (available in the "notes for candidates" on the public jobs.ie website.). An optician will tell you there and then whether you will pass or not and if Laser surgery would be an option. Also if you fail the eyesight at medical you will be deferred pending optician's report so it will be peace of mind to know if one will pass you before you go up. Good luck!

Well well well...my 6 weeks long wait is finally over. Felt like 6 months to be honest.
    Getting my eyesight report from the surgeon tomorrow, and going straight to HQ with it :)
    Hoping to get a date for the pct by the weekend. Hope I'll still make it in for August.

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Well well well...my 6 weeks long wait is finally over. Felt like 6 months to be honest.
    Getting my eyesight report from the surgeon tomorrow, and going straight to HQ with it :)
    Hoping to get a date for the pct by the weekend. Hope I'll still make it in for August.

Nice one kaiser. You are right bringing it up to them at least they cant say they didn't get it.

I wonder if I wore contact lenses in the medical would they know?? hahah :) God that would save some amount of money ha!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

Srdb20 is right go to an optician. Eye sight tests aren't just about charts anymore unfortunately. The doctor also uses slides which you must view and answer questions to. Most modern opticians have high tech equipment and will be able to detect any deterioration in vision.

Money well spent plus you can claim it on your PRSI if you are over 25 & have 5 yrs of PRSI contributions. Under 25's automatically entitled to it on their PRSI.

Hope this helps, no point worrying if the test will put your mind at ease.

I wonder if I wore contact lenses in the medical would they know?? hahah :) God that would save some amount of money ha!

Very brave or the opposite to try that one. When they shine the pin torch in your eyes they'd know straight away. I wouldn't like to be caught doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Lol, cheating on your medical, that would be something.

Got my report, handed it in. Was told it'll be 2 weeks before it's reviewed, I'm assuming the CMO is on holidays or something. Looking very dodgy for August for me now, fairly close to just jacking the whole thing in to be honest , as I need to give a months notice and yet again it looks like it'll go down to a week or less before the start date.
    So sickening knowing everything is perfect now, and I need to wait 2 weeks for some lad just to cast his eye over a sheet of paper and say "that's fine". Surely there is a deputy CMO or something who can do this kind of donkey work. :(

Rang HQ to ask is there many spaces still available for August, or would I be pushing it trying to get in in 2 weeks time. "I can't provide you with that information" . Nice one, cheers mate :rolleyes:

controller wrote: »
    Very brave or the opposite to try that one. When they shine the pin torch in your eyes they'd know straight away. I wouldn't like to be caught doing that.

Especially wouldnt like to be caught doing it by the doctor who did my medical. She'd tear the head off you!

Got my report, handed it in. Was told it'll be 2 weeks before it's reviewed, I'm assuming the CMO is on holidays or something. Looking very dodgy for August for me now, fairly close to just jacking the whole thing in to be honest , as I need to give a months notice and yet again it looks like it'll go down to a week or less before the start date.
    So sickening knowing everything is perfect now, and I need to wait 2 weeks for some lad just to cast his eye over a sheet of paper and say "that's fine". Surely there is a deputy CMO or something who can do this kind of donkey work. :(

Rang HQ to ask is there many spaces still available for August, or would I be pushing it trying to get in in 2 weeks time. "I can't provide you with that information" . Nice one, cheers mate :rolleyes:

Ah sickner. Still though if its reviewed in two weeks and you get pct that week it will leave you able to hand in two weeks notice. Would this be enough? Will you be worried about your employer or just do it anyway. Tough one!!

Haz33 wrote: »
    Ah sickner. Still though if its reviewed in two weeks and you get pct that week it will leave you able to hand in two weeks notice. Would this be enough? Will you be worried about your employer or just do it anyway. Tough one!!

I think I would just go with whatever notice I can give at this stage, cos I'm sick of all the waiting, it's just doing my head in. I have to do whats right for me, so I'll just give the 1 week, or 2 week notice, and apologise, saying I wanted to give the full month.
    Just hoping there is enough space for August by the time I do the pct

And the waiting game continues..... :rolleyes::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

I think I would just go with whatever notice I can give at this stage, cos I'm sick of all the waiting, it's just doing my head in. I have to do whats right for me, so I'll just give the 1 week, or 2 week notice, and apologise, saying I wanted to give the full month.

Same here, I wouldn't like to do it, but hey, they have 380.000 other eployees, I'm sure they will manage.

Jezz don't jack it in anyway you've worked damn hard for this you were promised May only for your eyes. Ring again next week I wouldn't care just say your wondering if anyone got to review it etc. remind them that May was offered to you only for this and that you don't want to miss August.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear it Kaizer... is it def two weeks, no chance of anything happening before that???

Advertisement