Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

You can be called for a medical before checks are complete to speed up process but they tend to wait til the have made some inroads into the vetting.

I am wondering about finances and what people do to get through the 1st year in particular? Obviously savings, mortgage holiday, loan from Garda Credit Union, no life etc all play a part.

My question regards tax relief. I am married and am wondering can I pass over my tax allowance to my wife while I train / earn very little or does the €197 per week or whatever it is take tax into account?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Paolo5 wrote: »
    I am wondering about finances and what people do to get through the 1st year in particular? Obviously savings, mortgage holiday, loan from Garda Credit Union, no life etc all play a part.

My question regards tax relief. I am married and am wondering can I pass over my tax allowance to my wife while I train / earn very little or does the €197 per week or whatever it is take tax into account?

Thanks

try life in the garda college thread or general questions

Sorry ... thought I did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 alphabravo

dcharkin wrote: »
    Hi, I was just wondering did you go on to go to the College, I have the first stage examine in a couple of weeks, where are you likely to be based when you go out on your training, do you have options or preferences.

you have no option or preference for where you will be placed for phase 2 when you are out training........they tend to keep you within a 50ish mile radius but when the stations are handed out to the students there are always tears......part of the job and you have to be prepared to be placed anywhere in the country when you apply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jimmyjoejoseph

well..got call for medical for 11th june..jus frettin over the bmi tho..i play a good standard of rugby which means some serious weight trainin (usually four times proper lifting a week) my bmi is 33 but my bodyu fat % is 15..wonderin is this goin to cause me a problem???...thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

imo yes i think it will.

30-31 ish you can usually get away with frpm what people have been posting,Better off asking someone who knows a bit more about it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jimmyjoejoseph

ya see my own gp seems to think u cant count bmi for someone who does weights(example i leg press 185kg..nearly 30 stone and leg curl 164kg so my legs are massive) cos it doesnt take the actual frame size of the person into account..im 6'2 and 17 and a half stone like and size 14 feet..im a fair block at the best ov times but i wouldn say im that overweight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

ya see my own gp seems to think u cant count bmi for someone who does weights(example i leg press 185kg..nearly 30 stone and leg curl 164kg so my legs are massive) cos it doesnt take the actual frame size of the person into account..im 6'2 and 17 and a half stone like and size 14 feet..im a fair block at the best ov times but i wouldn say im that overweight

ring hq and ask them, no-one here can tell you.

pvt.joker wrote: »
    ring hq and ask them, no-one here can tell you.

yep, thats the best thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

:eek:
    dont think hq are going to tell you if your weight is acceptable its down to the doc on the day.

well from those numbers your bmi should be 31.5 and not 33.

Big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭blue2b

good luck but i reckon ya have no chance off passing with that weight. i suggest a crash diet. ie a slice of bread a day.. sorry. to have to be blunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

blue2b wrote: »
    good luck but i reckon ya have no chance off passing with that weight. i suggest a crash diet. ie a slice of bread a day.. sorry. to have to be blunt

bmi has to be under 30 but i think to be really safe it has to be below 27. i failed medical over this back in feb with a bmi of just over 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Hey lads, had my medical on Wednesday there.

Didn't pass, but didn't fail either - got deferred.

My BMI was 32.5 (:eek:) she checked my height to be just over 6'2" which would put my weight smack bang around 18 stone which is right. Now the machine "reads" your body fat by sending electrical pulses or whatever through your feet but she didn't even take this number down I don't think.

Anywho - my blood pressure was a little high too and this is the reason I didn't pass. She wanted me to get it checked (wearing a bloody monitor now going off every 20 minutes :mad:) and its grand, obviously was just nerves on the day. She needed to make sure thats all it was before she could make a further decision (at a cost of €120 to me!!) on my file.

She did say I could use to lose some weight as technically I was overweight but she said I was also quite muscular so she attacked me with a measuring tape - she said that if your waist is bigger than your hips you are in trouble - thankfully mine wasn't.

So a BMI over 30 is not an automatic fail. If you are over 30 BMI but relatively fit and with some muscle you should be fine. If your BMI is over 30 and you are a lazy mess then you will probably fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Did any one recieve a call yesterday or today to do the medical ?? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭quirkek2

Hey all,

Passed my medical yesterday morning so delighted about that! Have a date for my PCT which is June 25th.

In case it helps anybody ill go over what they did on the day;

Fill out medical questionnaire and get urine sample ready as that's the first thing they ask for when they call you in. I recommend drinking lots of water that morning before you go in as its hard to pee on demand sometimes!

Got called in and they tested urine sample and blood pressure.

Later on they called me in for a lung capacity test and then a hearing test. Definately inhale deeply while doing the hearing test and then exhale slowly and silently. You can hear your heart beat its so quiet but once you concentrate and press the button down fully each time you hear a sound you'll be grand.

After that they brought you upstairs for a full medical with the doctor. Guys have to cough while the doc examines your chest and your male area :). They check your height, weight, ears, throat. They also ask you what you do to keep fit.

All in all it took about 3 hours....quite long but as other people have said, you just sit around and chat to the other people there and have a bit of a laugh. It's grand really.

Nothing to worry about........easy to say afterwards but just relax and take plenty of water beforehand...that's the best advice i could give anybody.

Hope this helps....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭blue2b

quirkek2 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Passed my medical yesterday morning so delighted about that! Have a date for my PCT which is June 25th.

In case it helps anybody ill go over what they did on the day;

Fill out medical questionnaire and get urine sample ready as that's the first thing they ask for when they call you in. I recommend drinking lots of water that morning before you go in as its hard to pee on demand sometimes!

Got called in and they tested urine sample and blood pressure.

Later on they called me in for a lung capacity test and then a hearing test. Definately inhale deeply while doing the hearing test and then exhale slowly and silently. You can hear your heart beat its so quiet but once you concentrate and press the button down fully each time you hear a sound you'll be grand.

After that they brought you upstairs for a full medical with the doctor. Guys have to cough while the doc examines your chest and your male area :). They check your height, weight, ears, throat. They also ask you what you do to keep fit.

All in all it took about 3 hours....quite long but as other people have said, you just sit around and chat to the other people there and have a bit of a laugh. It's grand really.

Nothing to worry about........easy to say afterwards but just relax and take plenty of water beforehand...that's the best advice i could give anybody.

Hope this helps....
    well done fair play. what percentage chane to ya think ya hav on making it for august .are backgrounds done for ya yet?

gratz on passing the Meds.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nd001

Hi all I am just wonderin is there a minimum bmi that they will just say no thats not good enough. I am quite thin bmi 17.8 even though I eat alot during the day I can't seem to put any weight on. By my calculations I have to gain aprox 4-5 pounds to get a bmi of about 18.4/5. I have been taking a complan supplement to boost muscle mass and given the fact that I havn't been given a date yet I am hopefull I can get there or pretty close. I am a very active person so I tend to burn off calories as quick as I take them in. If anybody can clear this up or give any advice that would be great. Went to doctor this mornin and everything else is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

nd001 wrote: »
    Hi all I am just wonderin is there a minimum bmi that they will just say no thats not good enough. I am quite thin bmi 17.8 even though I eat alot during the day I can't seem to put any weight on. By my calculations I have to gain aprox 4-5 pounds to get a bmi of about 18.4/5. I have been taking a complan supplement to boost muscle mass and given the fact that I havn't been given a date yet I am hopefull I can get there or pretty close. I am a very active person so I tend to burn off calories as quick as I take them in. If anybody can clear this up or give any advice that would be great. Went to doctor this mornin and everything else is fine.

To be sure im not certain but im a bit worried 2 because mine is only 18.5 and im 10 stone..... sori i couldnt help you more........ but i suppose its better to be uner than over :D;)

That is what I was thinking. I am 22 and the doctor says it is normal to have a fast metabolism and that it slows over time.

Remember its what you eat with regards to how much you eat. :)

So dr mason have you any tips or advice and what is your opinion on my bmi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

Ndoo1 just pm'd you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

prv.joker how's your sight coming along since your surgery? How soon after it did you really begin to notice the difference?

I'm sure the next 4weeks won't be long flying by before you can move onto your next stage :)

nd001 wrote: »
    So dr mason have you any tips or advice and what is your opinion on my bmi

Gave ya a Pm man.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    prv.joker how's your sight coming along since your surgery? How soon after it did you really begin to notice the difference?

I'm sure the next 4weeks won't be long flying by before you can move onto your next stage :)

Hey, My sight is perfect now thanks! I only got 1 eye done cos the other has near perfect vision, about 4 days after the surgery I noticed a massive difference, so much so that I am now considering getting the other "perfect" eye done cos the new one puts it to shame!
    Ive just been concentrating on hitting the gym 3/4 times a week and watching my diet the last 2 weeks, so thats keeping my mind of the wait. Its always there in my head though, biggest fear is that when i do get to do the PCT , therell be no spots for August. ah! Hopefully that wont happen though.

did you get the op done privately then joker?

• Advertisement

I did indeed, the Mater Private hospital. Would highly recommend them.

Advertisement