Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

Is there anyone up today or do the medicals start tomorrow ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

Good luck all doing medicals maybe some1 any1 ask when the next round may be on ??????im still waiting i couldnt compare it to anything every time my fone rings i 1st think thats GHQ i have a sad life :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭woohoo

goouch wrote: »
    Good luck all doing medicals maybe some1 any1 ask when the next round may be on ??????im still waiting i couldnt compare it to anything every time my fone rings i 1st think thats GHQ i have a sad life :(

Ha I'm the exact same as you Goouch!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cathalfeely

hey folks, how did ye all get on in the medicals today?? were there many up? did ye pass? and finally did ye get a date for PCT and was anything said about november? Im up at half ten in the morning, sitting in the hitel biting my nails

hey folks, how did ye all get on in the medicals today?? were there many up? did ye pass? and finally did ye get a date for PCT and was anything said about november? Im up at half ten in the morning, sitting in the hitel biting my nails

everyone is very quite that had medicals today hopefully you's are all out celebrating. up in the mornin really nervous . let us know how you's got on and good luck to everyone tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 JOT

Hey all,
    Havent been on the site for a while. I did my aptitude test in may, did my interview on the 15th aug. Just wondering if anyone has similar dates and has heard about their medical exam. Im still waiting for the call.
    Cheers.
    Jack.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dub chick

hi guys! had medical passed with flying colours! the doc was lovely! have PCT in a weeks time so bit nervous as apparently was told there is a 50% fail rate for chicks on the push / pull so girls get weight lifting! and things changed a bit. You used to get a second chance. No more second chances. You fail, you're out of the competition! eek! not meaning to scare you guys but think you should know whats happening so you can prepare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Alias B

Hey Dub Chick!

Congrats on passing the medical and besta luck with the PCT!!! I hope to bend your ear on the PCT next wk from a females perspective so take plenty of notes!!!! Gd luck!* :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

congrats on passing dub chick. have mine tomorrow so hopefully il get good news aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 lollydoodles

Hi guys had my med yesterday all went well apart from 1 thing!! my right eye wasnt as good as my left, it was just under the requirement, its supposed to be 6/9 or higher. Just a warning to you all dont take it for granted that your eyesight is fine. get it checked before your med. last time i got my eyes checked (it was a while ago) they were fine and i have never worn or needed to wear glasses.

anyway all that was needed was a report from an optician to say my eyesight will be better with a lense. got the report so just waiting on a call back now to say everything is ok. fingers crossed and best of luck to anyone going for there meds soon. for the girls the women up there couldnt be nicer and you have nothing to be worried about. for the men im sure ye're doctors are lovely too!! :D

Congrats Dub Chick!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Chris007

Hi guys, can anyone who recently completed the physical competency test tell me what exactly it comprises of? What are the time limits, number of circuits etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

I saw it demonstrated today at the open day.

3 laps of the circuit in 3 mins 20 secs followed by a push pull.

Heres the vid:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

Dub chick wrote: »
    hi guys! had medical passed with flying colours! the doc was lovely! have PCT in a weeks time so bit nervous as apparently was told there is a 50% fail rate for chicks on the push / pull so girls get weight lifting! and things changed a bit. You used to get a second chance. No more second chances. You fail, you're out of the competition! eek! not meaning to scare you guys but think you should know whats happening so you can prepare!

Well done on passing thats really good you have PCT in a week, but i must say why do they go and change it now i know a female that did the PCT about 3wks ago and did the push pull or you sure its being changed for this recruitment drive or in the future?They shouldnt have a difference in the testing for a Male or Female BUT i better not get into all that here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

I have mine tomorrow just wish it was over and done with now!

hey all. passed the medical today absolutely delighted . have pct in two weeks so nerves be starting for that soon not today though. who told you there aint anymore second chances in pct dub chick thats a bit unfair since up to before you got two chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

The rules are not different for men and women but the womens pass weight is lower at the moment. If they were to make it equal standard ie the mens passing standard for all the pass rate would decrease rapidly for the women. But that is a side issue!

Anyway at least you have notice that you have 1 life - the idea might be that you prepare and give it your best shot first of all and not learn a lesson on a 1st fail ie prepare to achieve high standards!

The attitude might be - fail to prepare, prepare to fail - everyone knew that they would eventually have a PCT so no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bettyboo1

Paolo5 wrote: »
    The rules are not different for men and women but the womens pass weight is lower at the moment. If they were to make it equal standard ie the mens passing standard for all the pass rate would decrease rapidly for the women. But that is a side issue!

Anyway at least you have notice that you have 1 life - the idea might be that you prepare and give it your best shot first of all and not learn a lesson on a 1st fail ie prepare to achieve high standards!

The attitude might be - fail to prepare, prepare to fail - everyone knew that they would eventually have a PCT so no excuses.

Hi Paolo, just wondering if u no what is the pass weight or BMI for women??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Sorry I was referring to the PCT push and pull weight - that is different!

I would think BMI is the same for both but could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dub chick

hi guys thanks for congrats and congrats to you

Just want to point out that my post was misread.

Both women and men have to do push / pull.

When i went to make my PCT appointment it was pointed out to me (cause i'm a girl) that 50% of girls fail the PCT and to make sure to do a load of prep especially for push / pull as thats where girls normally fall down. Not meaning to panic anyone but i know i'd rather hear that statistic than go in semi prepared.

I was also advised there would only be one shot and if unsuccessful then out of campaign. Policy has changed apparently. I know there were second chances before. just relaying the info i was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sff

JOT wrote: »
    Hey all,
    Havent been on the site for a while. I did my aptitude test in may, did my interview on the 15th aug. Just wondering if anyone has similar dates and has heard about their medical exam. Im still waiting for the call.
    Cheers.
    Jack.:)
    My aptitude was in may and interview was a week after yours and i'm still waiting to be called for a medical as well.

• Advertisement

hi guys thanks for congrats and congrats to you

Just want to point out that my post was misread.

Both women and men have to do push / pull.

When i went to make my PCT appointment it was pointed out to me (cause i'm a girl) that 50% of girls fail the PCT and to make sure to do a load of prep especially for push / pull as thats where girls normally fall down. Not meaning to panic anyone but i know i'd rather hear that statistic than go in semi prepared.

I was also advised there would only be one shot and if unsuccessful then out of campaign. Policy has changed apparently. I know there were second chances before. just relaying the info i was given.

hopefully none of us here will fail anyway. its such a relief to have medical done . best of luck to everyone up today

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Spudley

I was defered yesterday too due to sight in one eye. I need to get an opticians report sorted and will hopefully get a PCT date then.

While chatting with the doctor, she said that the biggest reason people fail the medical is due to weight, so beware folks! BMI needs to be below 30 which is too high to be healthy anyway so hit the gym beforehand. I dieted my ass off over the last few months an exercised a lot and got bmi well down, and assure you I am no model of motivation usually.

Best of luck to all.

Spudley wrote: »
    I was defered yesterday too due to sight in one eye. I need to get an opticians report sorted and will hopefully get a PCT date then.

While chatting with the doctor, she said that the biggest reason people fail the medical is due to weight, so beware folks! BMI needs to be below 30 which is too high to be healthy anyway so hit the gym beforehand. I dieted my ass off over the last few months an exercised a lot and got bmi well down, and assure you I am no model of motivation usually.

Best of luck to all.

hopefully all goes well for you spudley. they are not trying to fail people at the medical stage they want everyone to pass . the interview is the hardest stage and if you pass that they will do there best to pass you so people if you know you can do something for example lose weight then do it . it will be worth it in the long run and you will regret it if you dont make the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cathalfeely

hey guys,

Got the medical passed yesterday. Was cacking it about the lung capacity as I have had the flu for the last week and not feeling the best. I do not know if I passed it well or just scraped though as they did not explain any of the readings, they just said that it was fine. got PCT in two weeks, cant wait. Might give templemore a ring and see if its possible to go down and see the course again as i wanted to go to the open day but had the medical on the same day. I also wonder if there are any free spaces left in templemore??????

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Spudley

Cheers Soundlad, here's hoping.
    Congarts Cathal - i imagine it's some feeling when you're told you've passed. It was relief enough when she told me i hadn't failed and am still in the game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭pr43

Anyone know when the medicals and pct's start for the Feb induction? Passed interview just one week now, so early on the wait, hoping for Feb!
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 corolla

pr43 wrote: »
    Anyone know when the medicals and pct's start for the Feb induction? Passed interview just one week now, so early on the wait, hoping for Feb!
    :D:D:D
    well just signed up to this but have been reading the posts everyday for the last few months. so far this is what i know/found out from a friend of a friend who works in the department who deal with calls for medicals etc. there still calling form the 07 batches because a bit of a back log some people from the 08 campaign have got called for medicals but not too many. i done my interview end of aug and passed, i got a letter a week later to let me know this but it takes around another 2 weeks before b branch finds out and starts back round checks.I thought i would be in in nov as i was in batch 2 and placed around 200 mark, but no joy its full or nearly full. they will be calling again for medicals again in jan for feb intake,and if there is no call for feb intake it will be the may intake all going well with the budget!!!!!!!hope this helps.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

I passed the medical yesterday:D:D:D:D......needless to say I am delighted!! The worst part was the waiting around was there for nearly 3 1/2 hours!!:eek:

Anyway the main thing is I passed and have the pct on the 22 of this month!! Congrats to everyone else that passed too!! Another major relieve and one step closer!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

If you pass your medical and PCT and your not in within 6 months, do you have to do both again?

• Advertisement

I passed the medical yesterday:D:D:D:D......needless to say I am delighted!! The worst part was the waiting around was there for nearly 3 1/2 hours!!:eek:

Anyway the main thing is I passed and have the pct on the 22 of this month!! Congrats to everyone else that passed too!! Another major relieve and one step closer!:p

well done dude 87. its a huge relief isnt it. you all set for pct

Advertisement