Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

angelfire9 wrote: »
    The garda reference will be fine, and i'm sure my college tutor won't have a problem (if he's not retired) as for the other 2 references thinking parish priest and retired Chief would that be ok?

i was thinking of my boss and my old soccer manager who does clerical work for garda now,priest would be good, any chance i could sneak in 3?
    dunno if i could get a garda to recommend me i dont know any that well.does it require much off them to give a reference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

I'm 32 and had a falling out with my last employer but i can hardly omit it on the form seeing as half the cops in town knew i was working there, what realistically is the chance of them ringing them up? I would be fairly well known in my local station seeing as my father was sgt i/c there for years so will they need character references from all my former employers?

There probably is a high chance of them ringing your employer as they need to see how good of a worker u are and how good at time keeping and all. My local station rang work but my friend who went for it to his local station didnt so it is hard to know

shakin wrote: »
    about the college reference, who from the college should you get.personally i dont have a good relationship with any lecturer.would it be ok to leave it blank?

I didnt have a good relationship with mine either put i just emailed the one i felt i dealed with the most in college. its a good idea to email them and ask them first so they arent caught off guard by it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

For my College ref., I went to my Headmaster from secondary school and that was perfectly fine. Needs to be on headed paper too.
    Also written refs from your 2 other refs. I got 2 friends parents.
    One was a company director and my old rugby coach and the other is a retired teacher.
    Anyone who is high up and respected in the community.
    I was told not to get a priest to give the ref cos they'll generally give one to anyone.
    All you need for the garda ref is their Name, rank and station

For my College ref., I went to my Headmaster from secondary school and that was perfectly fine. Needs to be on headed paper too.
    Also written refs from your 2 other refs. I got 2 friends parents.
    One was a company director and my old rugby coach and the other is a retired teacher.
    Anyone who is high up and respected in the community.
    I was told not to get a priest to give the ref cos they'll generally give one to anyone.
    All you need for the garda ref is their Name, rank and station

I didnt get my refs to write out a reference the station just rang them and it was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

re: References ...
    Education: you don't need your more recent educational ... you can ask from college or even secondary school-a principal or even a teacher if it came to it

Garda: you don't need to know a Garda...you could just call in to your local station and tell them your situation and ask would they mind...someone from the last campaign done that...doubt the Guard/Sergeant would say no, in all fairness. (I say local as they would know you from around your area or would ask another guard in the station who would know you) ...

i guess they wont start giving dates til the competition closes, how long is it going to wait open for!!!:mad:

wait just read it again closing tomorrow my bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Chris007

Hi all! I'm thinking of applying for the guards and i just have a quick question; As a Dub what are my chances of being stationed back in Dublin? Would it be less than others from around the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Chris007 wrote: »
    Hi all! I'm thinking of applying for the guards and i just have a quick question; As a Dub what are my chances of being stationed back in Dublin? Would it be less than others from around the country?

you have til tomorrow to decide :p

on the other hand i dont know the chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭widget64

Chris007 wrote: »

You have a very strong chance of been posted in Dublin, I know 5 gaurds from my local area that have been posted around dublin!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I know this question as been asked before but i can't find the answer when i go looking for it, so, if the competition closes tommorrow and the aptitude tests are being held in June what kind of timeframe are successful candidates looking at and when approximately would they be looking at getting into Templemore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭karlokarl

Hi guys, just wondering what the e-mail address is regarding information on your application? I know last year's one was [email]garda2007@publicjobs.ie...is[/email] it still the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

karlokarl wrote: »
    Hi guys, just wondering what the e-mail address is regarding information on your application? I know last year's one was [EMAIL="garda2007@publicjobs.ie...is"]garda2007@publicjobs.ie...is[/EMAIL] it still the same?

Ya its the same .........;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

I know this question as been asked before but i can't find the answer when i go looking for it, so, if the competition closes tommorrow and the aptitude tests are being held in June what kind of timeframe are successful candidates looking at and when approximately would they be looking at getting into Templemore?

It's different for everyone. There were people who had the apptitude test in November and started in Templemore in February, but when I had my medical there wqas a lad there from 2006 competition.

The whole process does seem to be much faster now though. But you still need patience. A lot of it. And you have to be prepared to cancel your plans on a last minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭greydiamond

So the competition ends tomorrow. Once it ends, what forms do we need to fill in? Is there anything we have to submit before the interview?

So the competition ends tomorrow. Once it ends, what forms do we need to fill in? Is there anything we have to submit before the interview?

okay well you will receive an e-mail with a contact number to organise your date for Stage1 exams ...

You fill out a Stage2 Application Form with your personal details and the 4scenarios which will form the basis of your interview (Stage2)...

look at www.publicjobs.ie --> Garda Trainee --> download and save the info they give you there and read through them...

When are we supposed to get the email??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

When are we supposed to get the email??

I say Monday, at this stage. But I'm only guessing this

I say Monday, at this stage. But I'm only guessing this

id say so aswell unless we get it today saying its open on monday,either way wont be able to ring until monday.

btw if i book my yest for the end of june, will someone who does theirs at the earliest stage have a better chance of being accepted first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

id say so aswell unless we get it today saying its open on monday,either way wont be able to ring until monday.

btw if i book my yest for the end of june, will someone who does theirs at the earliest stage have a better chance of being accepted first?

i think interviews are done based on were you are placed in the test and what batch you are in.

• Advertisement

Just wondering if anyone can help me out on this question....if I am accepted could I possibly defer my entry for a year or so because of college? I've heard from a few people that it could be possible. I contacted Garda HQ but they didn't seem to know either! Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!!! Cheers!!

Just wondering if anyone can help me out on this question....if I am accepted could I possibly defer my entry for a year or so because of college? I've heard from a few people that it could be possible. I contacted Garda HQ but they didn't seem to know either! Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!!! Cheers!!

Deferrals are given in certain cases. Obviously a deferral will only be processed when an applicant is given a definite ‘job offer’. Deferrals are usually only given for a 3 month period, with each one being dealt with on it’s own merits.
    In most cases, deferrals are requested where an applicant is completing a college/university course, etc. If an applicant was at the early stages of a course, a deferral would not normally be granted and the applicant would be required to re-apply.

be warned it could sting you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Hey,

In the same boat as yourself, have another way left in college, well the majority of us who applied last week, probably won't complete the process till late this year, with August filling up fast. So if you have only a year in college i say apply away.
    In the garda reserve at the moment too, and have spoken to alot of guards that have done defers, basically if you have a good reason i.e. finishing college... but there is no point applying if you are just entering college.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jdq

Howdy,

Not 100% sure if this is the right thread to be posting this in - Do any of ye know if at any stage you are asked for a report from your GP or details of your GP so that a report can be obtained? I'd be very interested to know as I applied in the past few days...

By the way, anyone that did apply the last few days - the very best of luck!

Thanks

jdq wrote: »
    Howdy,

Not 100% sure if this is the right thread to be posting this in - Do any of ye know if at any stage you are asked for a report from your GP or details of your GP so that a report can be obtained? I'd be very interested to know as I applied in the past few days...

Thanks

no dont think so

no dont think so

Cheers, anyone know for sure? Could be a deal breaker!

Thanks

Cheers, anyone know for sure? Could be a deal breaker!

Thanks

why whats your malfunction!:D

from what ive read over the last year or more, ive never heard of a gp having an input

why whats your malfunction!:D

:)

Just wondering, wouldnt want to get as far as the medical to find out that id get turned away for something silly (in my case - minor knee injury years ago), is it even on any of the forms later on in the process anyone?????

"Dont tell me how to fight my war elias" :D:D:D

Howdy,

Thanks

This would be better posted in the Medical section as it relates to Stage3 ...

In your form B you are asked if you were ever hospitalised yes/no? If yes then you have to state the reasons for it ... If they feel they need more info other than what's wrote by you or if they need something clarified they will contact your GP BUT your GP is required by law to contact you first to inform you of such, if they wish to look into your medical file

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks k4sam... I just know from experience that for example insurance co's can check out all kinds of stuff behind your back and you wouldnt even know bout it...Anyone else any experience good/bad regarding this previous gp thing etc?

Advertisement