Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

Perhaps recruitment is not so far away?!

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2013-06-13a.389&s=garda+reserve#g391.r

Bernard Durkan (Kildare North, Fine Gael) | Oireachtas source
    140. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the current total strength of an Garda Síochána including the Garda Reserve; if further recruitment is required by a specific date; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [28564/13]

Alan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael) | Oireachtas source
    I have been informed by the Garda authorities that the personnel strength of An Garda Síochána on 30 April 2013, the latest date for which figures are readily available, was 13,330. There are also 1,087 members of the Garda Reserve with a further 172 in training. In relation to recruitment, I am in discussions with my colleague, the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform, on this matter. I intend to bring proposals to Cabinet in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Shatter renews pledge to restart garda recruitment

The Justice Minister Alan Shatter is renewing his promise to resume garda recruitment, but he admits there is no timeframe for the process.

Minister Shatter says he is in negotiations with the Public Expenditure and Reform Minister Brendan Howlin to hire new officers on a modest scale and ensure the force stays above 13,000.

In April he delayed his plans to begin recruiting again, following the rejection of the revised public sector pay deal.

However Minster Shatter, who is today appearing before the Oireachtas Justice Committee, now says its important to have a regular intake.

"I believe it is important to have some regular intakes of recruits, even if on a modest scale," he said.

"I'm currently engaged in discussions with the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform to see how this aim could be best progressed,"

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/shatter-renews-pledge-to-restart-garda-recruitment-597930.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

More talk...

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

It won't happen till the election year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

yenom wrote: »
    It won't happen till the election year.

If even then. It'll probably just be more promises :(

• Advertisement

Rothmans wrote: »
    If even then. It'll probably just be more promises :(

It could happen this year. There's €1B less to be cut from the budget. Labour want it spent, Fine Gael want tax cuts.

It will depend on how few numbers they want it to go to and how dangerous they want it to do to.

There is local election next year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

A month or so ago Shatter said that he intended commencing some recruitment but got upset because the Gardaí rejected Croke Park 2.
    They have now accepted Haddington Road agreement so he needn't throw his rattler out of the pram anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Any updates lads/ladies with regards recruitment?

What have ye been doing in the meantime?

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Any updates lads/ladies with regards recruitment?

What have ye been doing in the meantime?

;)

Well im a member of the Defence Forces and have a degree in Forensics science, also have qualifications in water rescue, so heres hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shaunaduffy

i wonder when you become an offical garda do you get posted to a station where you life or where?? any ideas??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

i wonder when you become an offical garda do you get posted to a station where you life or where?? any ideas??

You can be stationed anywhere in the country Shauna

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

Can you sit the interview while waiting on your exam results

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

You won't get an interview until u have passed the exam.

Normally you nominate areas you'd like to work/serve near the end of your training.. I think this is 3-5 areas but I stand to be corrected on this. Normally your sent where the most need is, so if your from Waterford you COULD get a post in Donegal, but you may get an area where you originally nominated i.e. if your from Offaly and you nominated a place in Laois you could get that posting. You won't get posted to where your from that's for sure. However the longer your in AGS you can eventfully request to transfer back to NEAR where your originally from. That's if you want to! But you'll not serve/ be posted to your local area i.e. where your from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

You could be put anywhere in the country.

But the Garda are a community based policing model. So basing someone from Wexford up in Donegal is not exactly community orientated, it's good to have Garda in areas that have some knowledge of the landscape, community type, types of humor and personalities types in an area.

I'm from Dublin if I was put in Kerry for example, I could say something humorous or in general that a Kerry person might find very offensive with that bringing down the respect of the organization.

Hi folks,

My situation at the moment.

I m in the process for the reserves stage3,

I have a degree and masters.

I am working full time

ECDL,Driving,First Aid coverd

Involved in the community..

Am i on the right track??

Your on the exactly the same course as me, Im Defence Forces, Degree in Forensics, Driving, First aid and water rescue, Secretary of 2 local clubs and play sports at Local and county level so heres hoping

Your on the exactly the same course as me, Im Defence Forces, Degree in Forensics, Driving, First aid and water rescue, Secretary of 2 local clubs and play sports at Local and county level so heres hoping

Thanks for your reply!

fair play..

the waiting is a killer,aint it!!

What age are you?

the waits a killer, early 20 mate you?

the waits a killer, early 20 mate you?

Same!

I guess we have time on our side..

Would you ever look at the PSNI?

I was thinking of it recently

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

are you RDF or PDF?

with regard to your forensics degree - expect to serve your probation for 2 years before you even think of applying for any crime scene spots

but yeah, your on the right track

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

My situation at the moment.

I m in the process for the reserves stage3,

I have a degree and masters.

I am working full time

ECDL,Driving,First Aid coverd

Involved in the community..

Am i on the right track??

What did you do your degree and masters in ?

msg11 wrote: »
    You could be put anywhere in the country.

But the Garda are a community based policing model. So basing someone from Wexford up in Donegal is not exactly community orientated, it's good to have Garda in areas that have some knowledge of the landscape, community type, types of humor and personalities types in an area.

I'm from Dublin if I was put in Kerry for example, I could say something humorous or in general that a Kerry person might find very offensive with that bringing down the respect of the organization.

You mean you'd actually tell a Kerry man Dublin will win the All-Ireland?! ;-)

It's unlikely they would station someone from e.g Waterford up to Donegal as I think I used in an example. But such situations were common and a lot of Kerry folk served in Dublin too. Mostly trainees are sent to Met areas i.e Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick, Waterford. It's not black n white. Most can get to an area generally close to their area as their careers progress an eg would be if you lived in Carlow and had been stationed in Dublin one could end up getting a transfer to Portlaoise (just an example!).

3fullback wrote: »
    What did you do your degree and masters in ?

Hi Fullback,

I did a general BA degree and then a Masters in Business.

What stage are you at yourself?:)

DustyMan wrote: »
    You mean you'd actually tell a Kerry man Dublin will win the All-Ireland?! ;-)

It's unlikely they would station someone from e.g Waterford up to Donegal as I think I used in an example. But such situations were common and a lot of Kerry folk served in Dublin too. Mostly trainees are sent to Met areas i.e Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick, Waterford. It's not black n white. Most can get to an area generally close to their area as their careers progress an eg would be if you lived in Carlow and had been stationed in Dublin one could end up getting a transfer to Portlaoise (just an example!).

Yes I d agree with you DustyMan,

Usually you d get sent to a fairly built up area like a City or big town,of course the exceptions do apply,

With the way the rural stations are being phased out I believe that
    with time only central locations will exist.Whether this is a good thing or not!!

And over time it is possible as Dusty mentioned to get back closer to home!

I know AGS who ended up going towards home after a few years

Limerick-Cork(Home)
    Dublin-Cork City- Waterford(Home)

PDF man, cant join the PSNI I think because I have an Irish flag on my upper arm. Not really interested in doing forensics full time just did it to get in, id ratther do anything else tbh.

Is the ECDL really that important? Do Gardaí use computers to the extent where that is needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Is the ECDL really that important? Do Gardaí use computers to the extent where that is needed?

Most places would need to use microsoft word, excel and things like that and it's very handy. I done the 2005 and 2007 ECDL. Might sound funny but i'd imagine little things like knowing how to use a printer and stuff like that would be important and make life a lot easier for you.

I think the ECDL course is only about 6 weeks long anyway.

carzony wrote: »
    Most places would need to use microsoft word, excel and things like that and it's very handy. I done the 2005 and 2007 ECDL. Might sound funny but i'd imagine little things like knowing how to use a printer and stuff like that would be important and make life a lot easier for you.

I think the ECDL course is only about 6 weeks long anyway.

Done most of them last year but failed one. I suppose it would be no harm to go back and do that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Done most of them last year but failed one. I suppose it would be no harm to go back and do that one.

Same myself actually :P I was in a hurry and had other things on my mind and failed my 2007 exam but went back a few days later and passed it :D

Advertisement