Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are you single?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sdraob.ei

Only 23 n just out of a seven year realtionship a few weeks dont know what to be doin with myself :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

So far, I've never met a girl who didn't eventually drive me up the wall. I'm as independent as a feral cat, so I hate having to meet anyone at a particular time, explain to someone what I'm doing, text someone regularly, etc. Most women don't seem to be capable of leaving a bloke to his own life... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The only people that say beign single is better than being in a relationship are people who can't get into a relationship in the first place... FACT!

I'm single since YOUR MA dumped me

Oh wait, no actually, i'm not single... she took me back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I haven't met anyone who can put up with me. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Aparently I can't provide what a sheep really needs, we're too different. Bitch. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

The only people who say being in a relationship is always better than being single are sad, depressed losers who hate themselves so much they can't stand to be alone... FACT

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Because it's really hard to meet men where I am. Literally all of my friends are single, and have been throughout uni. I don't understand why, but I think a lot of it is to do with the complete absence of a community in my university. There's no class parties, no balls, no nothing. It's all work.

Second time I've discussed this today... I must get back to studying!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'm single since 2004 when my wife divorced me. But that's only a "technical" single, coz I've been living with someone since 1990. I can't imagine being on my own; I was for 1989, but that sucked major ballz. Sure, you get to make all the decisions without referring to anyone else, but it's also lonely. It's nice to have someone to share a bed with. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Mordeth wrote: »
    The only people who say being in a relationship is always better than being single are sad, depressed losers who hate themselves so much they can't stand to be alone... FACT

I think someone needs a cuddle :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭token56

Simply dont have the time. I have two jobs and also do training 4+ days a week. The rest of the time I sleep/relax. Not against relationships but some people just don't have the time. And its not like I am miserable, quiet the opposite. Rather enjoying life at the moment. Single is all good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If you were depressed, no one would want to be around you, hence you wouldn't be in a relationship

Friday ZING!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

FruitLover wrote: »
    So far, I've never met a girl who didn't eventually drive me up the wall. I'm as independent as a feral cat, so I hate having to meet anyone at a particular time, explain to someone what I'm doing, text someone regularly, etc. Most women don't seem to be capable of leaving a bloke to his own life... :pac:

Here's your sister :D Thanks, you saved me having to type out a post.

PS: Obviously exchange 'guy' for 'girl' in above post in reln to me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Meh, only single 6 months, hasn't really bothered me, I've gotten more done in my personal life in those 6 months then I did in the 3 years before it.
    I suppose I'm single because I'm not looking and I haven't met anyone that makes me want to be in a relationship again.

Tbh I was a serial relationship girl, and looking back now I can see how I needed a period of being on my own, I think most adults need to spend a period being single, being comfortable in their own skin etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I find it kind of sad that people would be afraid of being alone or being responsible for their own happiness. I'd hate to settle for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Sherifu wrote: »
    I find it kind of sad that people would be afraid of being alone or being responsible for their own happiness. I'd hate to settle for less.
    +1

I think people that cannot be single have insecurities

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sabotage wrote: »
    My question was, why are you single?

I hate people.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

JohnCleary wrote: »
    The only people that say beign single is better than being in a relationship are people who can't get into a relationship in the first place... FACT!

Was going to reply to that but then Mordeth came out with this....

:D:):D

About the relationship thing I'm single and I think thats the case purely because I'm not looking for anyone right now. Not joining the priesthood or anything just not looking. Have done the whole relationship (2/3 year stints) and absolutely loved it. Especially one relationship where I fell in love! Being single has its upsides though too and right now I'm enjoying single life. I'm happy that I can find happiness in myself and not just in someone else. I think thats important and its something I wouldn't have discovered had I been in a relationship.

What I cannot stand are people who think something is wrong with you if your not in a relationship. That just p!sses me off! Like its a disease or something. I mean come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I reckon being in a (happy) relationship (with someone you care about and doesn't annoy the piss out of you) is probably better than being single, but something I'll never understand is the kind of people who'll get into a relationship with someone for the sake of it, rather than be single. That's bananas. Even worse when they're getting married to someone they don't really love just so they won't be single when they're older.
    MIN2511 wrote: »
    +1

I think people that cannot be single have insecurities

+2 (as alluded to above)

I find it kind of sad that people would be afraid of being in a relationship or being responsible for someone else. I'd hate to settle for less.

/Just to show that every blanket statement can be turned on its head and made to look silly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Yes Lawless, and they have to set you up with any other godforsaken single person they know, as if you're dying to be back in a relationship and anyone will do!
    :D

• Advertisement

Slow coach wrote: »
    I find it kind of sad that people would be afraid of being in a relationship or being responsible for someone else. I'd hate to settle for less.

/Just to show that every blanket statement can be turned on its head and made to look silly.
    Why would I be responsible for someone else's happiness? The way I see it you look after yourself firstly, if you're depressed/not happy there's no point and you can't always help someone that is unhappy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

• Raging Alcoholism.
    • Borderline Personality Disorder.
    • Ugly.
    • Hate most people.

Why would I be responsible for someone else's happiness?

That's what I said, genius. Any blanket statement can be made to look silly.

It might surprise you, but many people get into relationships because they want to, not because they're afraid of being alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

caoibhin wrote: »
    Raging Alcoholism.

I knew it!

That's what I said, genius. Any blanket statement can be made to look silly.

It might surprise you, but many people get into relationships because they want to, not because they're afraid of being alone.
    I wasn't referring to everyone in relationships.[that would include me] Apologies if I wasn't clear. :pac:

I am a genius though, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

Judging by some of the earlier "you're sad etc" responses to statements like that, I fear you're in for a paddling my friend... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

GinnyJo wrote: »
    Yes Lawless, and they have to set you up with any other godforsaken single person they know, as if you're dying to be back in a relationship and anyone will do!
    :D

Exactly!!! When I asked one of my close friends why she kept trying to set me up with some of her friends she replied "I just want you to be happy"

I'm sorry but if I start a relationship with a girl its because I like her and maybe this could go somewhere, that in turn can become happiness. Its not because I'm alone and depressed and reckon if I start a relationship with anyone all my problems will disappear and I'll finally be happy!!!

I am a genius though, thanks!

I knew that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Well to be honest I've just gotten out of a 4 year relationship and I have absulutly no desire to be getting into another one for a long time, sure I enjoyed it and their are lots of good things about it. But it's down to the people, some people like/need someone close to them I don't really, I like my alone time, I like doing my own thing, I like hanging out with my friends when I want, I like not being tied down, I like being able to chat to random girls and the thrill of the chase. I like looking after myself, my fitness and my health...And i'm not saying that some nights aint lonely but there's plenty to look forward to. I know that when someone special comes along again it'l be time but i'm in no hurry for that. And it's not that single people can't get a girlfriend either theres not a lack of offers it's just some people don't want to take them they want to focus on themselfs. I've a trip booked to Australia for a year, trip round Ireland, amsterdam in the summer in general I do see the benfits of being single right now.

• Advertisement

I knew that. :)
    Of course, you did the math!

/taxi for 1

Advertisement