Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are you single?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sangre wrote: »
    I'm way too hideous for someone to ever love me.

It's true, check his bebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

bebo made me take it down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

I just deleted my bebo and facebook. it's too much free knowledge about me.

I'd say its me rather than them. I don't get a whole lot of interest but when I do I'm clingy which brings me back to square one.

I think one of the reasons I may still be single, bar my indifference is my lack of maturity.

The fact that listening to Dracula's Lament from Forgetting Sarah Marshall sped up to 175% has me laughing my ass off may be proof of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

rb_ie wrote: »
    I used to love being single up til I was about 19/20.

Then I met herself .....

Because I have yet to meet herself.

Everyone seems to eventually have this perfect girl knock on their door when they get to a certain age.

I've been single all my life. Just simply never got to know many chicks. Really regret going to an all boys school, they should be abolished damn it.

& there just wasn't any decent girls around our area that were near our age group.

I'm not a mad out going guy either, nor the type to get pissed and jump on anything with tits when I do go out. Plus I'd never have the balls to try and "chat some one up" in other words I ****ing suck at the whole mating ritual thing.

So I'm just gonna continue to stroll through life and hope I meet someone some day who I like and who likes me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ModeSkeletor

]listening to Dracula's Lament from Forgetting Sarah Marshall sped up to 175%

I thought the chicks loved that no?

I thought the chicks loved that no?

You'd think so but it appears that saying one of your favourite songs is from a proposed puppet musical about Dracula isn't very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

im single because i suffer from a crippling disability....its called being an ugly f*cker! theres no real cure!

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Because I always fall for the girl that's taken. Sucks to be me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK slightly serious here for a minute. WTF??? I mean W. T. F? All this BS about how ugly you are or can't chat them up or waiting around for the right woman? I call arse on that.

You think you're ugly? Look at the mutants out there that are in relationships. Walk down any street in ireland and you'll see them. We're talking mutants here. The tide wouldn't take them out. The ones that convince you rohypnol is more common that you thought and that sterilisation may save the next generation.:D Yet they're loved up. Yea maybe they got "lucky" but so can you.

Can't chat them up? Don't try. Just talk to the buggers. They won't bite, unless you want them to. Ok lets say you get rejected. Fine. You look at her and think shes the most wonderful woman ever and all that. Guess what she isn't. She may be lovely and a nice person, equally she may not be. You're projecting your ideal onto her and it's likely others wouldn't give her the time of day. Projecting that ideal onto her and putting her on a pedestal is not a comfortable place for her either and she will walk away. On the spot or later. You can also be damn sure she's not the most beautiful woman in the room or the town or the country or the world. There's literally billions of them out there and you reckon she's it? Eh nope.

Think like that. Respect everyone. Respect yourself. Have fun. Be fun. Learn to do that and you can BTW. Don't take rejection as a reflection on you, just they don't dig you. Others will. the odds are on your side, even if you're wearing a bag over your head. The odds are not on your side by not trying, failing, learning and trying again.

Waiting around for the right woman? OK you may indeed get lucky and find her, but your lack of experience and self awareness increases the odds you won't keep her. Bad for her too.

Jeez I had to go and ruin it..... :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

my x didn't like my pigeon hooting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Wibbs wrote: »
    OK slightly serious here for a minute. WTF??? I mean W. T. F? All this BS about how ugly you are or can't chat them up or waiting around for the right woman? I call arse on that.

You think you're ugly? Look at the mutants out there that are in relationships. Walk down any street in ireland and you'll see them. We're talking mutants here. The tide wouldn't take them out. The ones that convince you rohypnol is more common that you thought and that sterilisation may save the next generation.:D Yet they're loved up. Yea maybe they got "lucky" but so can you.

Can't chat them up? Don't try. Just talk to the buggers. They won't bite, unless you want them to. Ok lets say you get rejected. Fine. You look at her and think shes the most wonderful woman ever and all that. Guess what she isn't. She may be lovely and a nice person, equally she may not be. You're projecting your ideal onto her and it's likely others wouldn't give her the time of day. Projecting that ideal onto her and putting her on a pedestal is not a comfortable place for her either and she will walk away. On the spot or later. You can also be damn sure she's not the most beautiful woman in the room or the town or the country or the world. There's literally billions of them out there and you reckon she's it? Eh nope.

Think like that. Respect everyone. Respect yourself. Have fun. Be fun. Learn to do that and you can BTW. Don't take rejection as a reflection on you, just they don't dig you. Others will. the odds are on your side, even if you're wearing a bag over your head. The odds are not on your side by not trying, failing, learning and trying again.

Waiting around for the right woman? OK you may indeed get lucky and find her, but your lack of experience and self awareness increases the odds you won't keep her. Bad for her too.

man you're my hero. Them two Californian chicks were defo not worth it and so what if they left last night :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

am single by choice. have had experience of seriously destructive relationships, where the man involved did his best to destroy me. never risking that again.also, as someone has already mentioned, looking around at all the couples i know, i see none that i envy.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Self loathing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

sam34 wrote: »
    am single by choice. have had experience of seriously destructive relationships, where the man involved did his best to destroy me. never risking that again.
    OK now this is clearly my humble, but.... If this happened once then yea, shít happens and you try to move on from it. If it's a repeating pattern you need to ask yourself questions too. Do you seek these types out? Logically all men are not like that? Indeed most men(or women) are not like that, most relationships, even the not so good ones are not like that, so how come you got so unlucky? As I said being unlucky once is ok, but if you're running up the numbers there's something else goin on. Do you seek these people out as a self fulfilling prophecy? IE men will try to destroy me, therefore I'll be more attracted to those that will confirm that idea. I would say that if someone has a string of destructive relationships behind them, the next person they meet that hey have the most chemistry with is almost guaranteed to repeat the pattern as they'll fit the inbuilt pattern the most. People can often jump from one burning ship to another as that's what they're used to, even if it's not good for them. Or occasionally they'll jump in a liferaft(a "nice" guy/guyess) but bring a burning suitcase with them. Rinse and repeat. People all too often would rather be right than happy. That's my humble and is probably waaaay off but there ya go.
    also, as someone has already mentioned, looking around at all the couples i know, i see none that i envy.
    I think that was mise. Maybe I'm fussy and want the best for me and any partner I may find. That said, while I do see few examples of really good couples, I do not cut myself off from looking for that. Failure is a learning experience, not an end. I may never find what I'm looking for, but to stop looking is to give up. Sod that.
    Self loathing
    Jebus, please let that be a joke.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

i think its because i have 3 feet....but dont worry the third one is purely ornamental!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Elessar

Because I don't really care whether I'm in a "relationship" with someone or not?

If this happened once then yea, shít happens and you try to move on from it. If it's a repeating pattern you need to ask yourself questions too.

sorry wibbs, my fault- used plural and singular in the sentence! am talking about one relationship i had, which has assumed mammoth significance in my head due to how absolutely awful it was and how long it took me get out of it. scarred for life i tell ya!

Got ya. :D Get back out there at least this way you know what to watch for, so that's good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Because it's really freaking difficult to find gay/bi women in Galway!

Also, because it's good to be single. I've been in relationships with men for the last four years and I need a goddamn break! Nice to rediscover who you are as a whole after having been a half for so long (if you get what I mean)

Bleh to relationships (unless they're with women :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

problem is, im ugly on the inside too.

Then it's best you don't reproduce then I suppose.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

sam34 wrote: »
    have had experience of seriously destructive relationships, where the man involved did his best to destroy me. never risking that again.

Good idea - it's a well-known fact that every man on earth will try his best to destroy you, should you start a relationship with them. Anyone who denies that is a communist.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

FruitLover wrote: »
    Good idea - it's a well-known fact that every man on earth will try his best to destroy you, should you start a relationship with them. Anyone who denies that is a communist.
    Have you become attached to "Butt Demon" or would you like it changed back to the default? I don't recall what circumstances I set it under.

Sort of on topic, isn't there a thread here somewhere proposing that most Irish women treat Irish men like they're bootscum if they display anything other than serene, platonic subservience?
    I've rarely encountered people like that, but it seems to be a relatively common opinion that foreign women are just "easier to get along with", but I have a feeling that's more because they're travelling, outgoing types than the fact that they're foreign.

If that thread exists, I would like to read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cowan

Apparently elephantitis is not so much of a turn on.

FruitLover wrote: »

you wouldnt be quite so sarcastic and "funny" if you had endured what i did.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

actually i think its more due to the fact theyve come from former communist countries and as a result actually know what real oppression is all about :D

EDIT. damn those two were quick! this post was in response to cults one. :)

not sure if i answerd this earlier in the thread so if not the reason im single is im very picky, dont compromise and TBH am abit of a loner so im not really bothered whether im with someone or not. not antisocial or anything i just like doing things my way when i want to instead of having to reference someone all the time.

plus you can fart your brains out in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Cunny-Funt wrote: »

Really regret going to an all boys school, they should be abolished damn it.

+ a million.

Why am I single? It's because I just don't know how to make a good first impression on women. If I'm drunk, I come across as too leery, if sober, i'm shy and awkward.

I'm extremely shy with women at first, but I come out of my shell once a girl gets to know me well. The problem is the women who stick around long enough, i.e. not put off by my first impression, see me as a 'brother' or 'just a friend'.

Tbh, I never get depressed about it, I am happy, very occupied and able to take as many holidays etc as I want. For anybody who thinks a relationship is the be all and end all - it's not. I would like to be in love with the right girl of course, but I'm also perfectly happy with life at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Got sick of looking for the right girl, so now she can come and find me....More fun being single anyway...

Advertisement