Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are you single?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

You try hard to find someone, find that perfect person but then complications arrive once you do and the whole thing falls to bits. That's way it has being with me anyways - hense why I'm single as usual. :(

Oh well more time to myself - :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Mixedup

was this thread started to rub it in???

single...depressingly so...

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

I'm single because I haven't found the person I'd like to spend my time with. An eternal game of hide and seek. Wait 'til I get my hands on him :mad: :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

St Bill wrote: »
    I'm single because I haven't found the person I'd like to spend my time with. An eternal game of hide and seek. Wait 'til I get my hands on him :mad: :)

Bill, hands on Him. Oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

caoibhin wrote: »
    Bill, hands on Him. Oh.

Ah, Jesus just isn't my type.

Joseph on the other hand ....:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

St Bill wrote: »
    Ah, Jesus just isn't my type.

Joseph on the other hand ....:pac:
    tut tut - thats disgraceful. The priests wouldn't be too impressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"Why are you single"? Sorry 6th but that's kinda a stoopid question. It makes it sound like everyone who is single has a choice in the matter. Sure, some people do choose the single life, but there are others who simply cannot meet people whom they'd like to be in a relationship with. What are they supposed to do? Just "acquire" a partner? Conjure one up out of thin air? Call them fussy but at least they don't run the risk of just settling for anyone out of fear of being alone only to break up with said person in ten years' time and wind up alone anyway.

As for people who are saying it's not normal or natural to not want to be attached? Why? Surely it depends on the individual? Different strokes for different folks and all that. I'm quite surprised at the attitudes I've come across here: you're in denial if you think we're not supposed to be paired up, "I couldn't imagine being single", it's far better to be watching TV with someone who loves you than alone. Can't relate to that at all. It smacks of neediness to me. And there are people here practically apologising for being single, or saying they're depressed - no wonder, when there are such attitudes. I've been single and I've been in relationships. There's good in both. When I've been single I certainly haven't been alone, I've had my friends and family. In relationships (including at present) I've my partner, friends and family - not just my partner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

In fairness to 6th, hes stated many times before that he met his wife when they where both teenage kids, so its not as if he can relate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

why am i single?

if i knew id be a happy woman!

my ideas are
    -if someones clingy at all freaks me out
    -im a complete nutter
    -im too much of a lad most of the time and people i like would generally go for my more girly friends

oh and no one wants me so nothing i can do bout that

ah well....free love ftw:)

why am i single?

if i knew id be a happy woman!

my ideas are
    -if someones clingy at all freaks me out
    -im a complete nutter
    -im too much of a lad most of the time and people i like would generally go for my more girly friends

oh and no one wants me so nothing i can do bout that

ah well....free love ftw:)

;). (in the "how u doin?" sense)

• Advertisement

Dude, she's jailbait...

And this assertion of "I couldn't imagine being single"... well I personally couldn't imagine not being single at any stage. I'm glad I've experienced both sides of the coin. I'm also very glad that the idea of being single doesn't fill me with as much horror as it seems to do to others. Falling madly in love is a very, very rare thing - I'm actually surprised there aren't far more single people, to be honest. This notion that you can just acquire a partner the way you'd get a carton of milk down in Tesco... well I thought it had died with De Valera's Ireland, but it don't think it has fully.

I'm with a great guy now but wasn't in a proper relationship for five years before I met him. Enjoyed that five years immensely. I didn't fall in love during those five years, therefore I didn't feel like I was missing out.

Dudess wrote: »
    Dude, she's jailbait...

gah....damn people on the internet knowing how old i am!im legal in most coutries in the world and in this one in four months!

Dude, she's jailbait...

Oh.... right.
    Sorry about that Aisling.

Ah it's less than four months (according to the date of birth on your profile :)). 1991 - holy Christ... :( You're, like, a babby!

Ah it's less than four months (according to the date of birth on your profile :)). 1991 - holy Christ... :( You're, like, a babby!

oh yeah forgot its may now!
    90 days and counting:D

caoibhin wrote: »
    Oh.... right.
    Sorry about that Aisling.

ah its all good in the hood dont worry about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Because the last girl I met wouldn't walk two foot outside her own door without being accompanied so I said fcuk it, go away you are too much trouble. Seriously, she was the first for ages and I just could not be bothered with crap like that from a 40-something.
    Where are all the independent, confident women these days?

Single for 2.5 years, almost married 3.5 yrs ago (she's getting married Sept, I'm going), just turned '41' plus I like the odd bit of cock. Very odd bit...

I don't know and at this second in time, I don't care.
    I will say, I fleetingly envy my married mates but really it's like a millisecond and the urge to join the throng passes.

(Tomorrow I will try to edit this and fail)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

gambiaman wrote:
    Single for 2.5 years, almost married 3.5 yrs ago (she's getting married Sept, I'm going), just turned '41' plus I like the odd bit of cock. Very odd bit...

LOL, didn't see that coming, randomly thrown in there! Fair play to ya for the honesty!

Anyway, reading through this thread... I didn't realise it was a choice. I've been single for two years after a relatively long, serious relationship, and in honesty I don't know if i'd like a relationship again or not, but i'd like to give it a shot. In all honesty, I get lonely, a fair bit too. Be nice to have someone again to give the odd random text/call to, cuddle up to, watch a dvd, walk, cook with, go drink with, all the couple stuff. Making good memories. But I didn't realise you could just choose it. Its like saying "i'll just head out for some milk and a girlfriend, see you later"...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭smellybiker

Proxy wrote: »
    LOL, didn't see that coming, randomly thrown in there! Fair play to ya for the honesty!

Anyway, reading through this thread... I didn't realise it was a choice. I've been single for two years after a relatively long, serious relationship, and in honesty I don't know if i'd like a relationship again or not, but i'd like to give it a shot. In all honesty, I get lonely, a fair bit too. Be nice to have someone again to give the odd random text/call to, cuddle up to, watch a dvd, walk, cook with, go drink with, all the couple stuff. Making good memories. But I didn't realise you could just choose it. Its like saying "i'll just head out for some milk and a girlfriend, see you later"...?

+ 1, my sentiments exactly

Me too, but apparently it is a choice. You should be able to simply "get" a girlfriend/boyfriend and you're some sort of failure if you don't.

Seriously though, I thought that sh1te was only peddled by older generations...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

I never bother much. Never assume I'll find anyone I relate to.
    It's weird cos I'm not unattractive or anything. ;) But just set my expectations of relationships very low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭smellybiker

Me too, but apparently it is a choice. You should be able to simply "get" a girlfriend/boyfriend and you're some sort of failure if you don't.

Seriously though, I thought that sh1te was only peddled by older generations...

I do think it's really bad that my friends (mostly attached) look at me in complete sorrow and pity for the sheer fact that i'm single. I was in a relationship for a long time and never once thought it funny that they were single. i thought it had to do with my age (26) and that they thought i was getting on a bit and needed to find a partner but from reading this thread - this attitude is obviously not age exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

anyone who has met me knows exactly why I'm single.

I'm High Maintenance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It was wisely said one time that our society is powered by single men: they wanna get the job; they wanna get the house; they wanna get the car. Do they want these things? No, women want these things! ;)

i wonder if you can measure economic recession by the amount of relationships per capita

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

My mother asks me frequently "and when are you going to get a woman again?", which I rarely take seriously. It does stick in in the back of my mind for a bit though. But it just doesn't.. "happen". Like I don't go looking for it, which I don't think would be right either. I'm open to it, but just... nothing happening for a while. I do notice that an awful lot of the "nice" girls (both looks and personality) are spoken for. So I just get on with things. Its... a non-issue really, it negates itself?

Perhaps a boards-based dating service? PM's please! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

My mother asks me frequently "and when are you going to get a woman again?", which I rarely take seriously.

sure my mom and sister thing im gay and i could think of a dozen other people that joke about the same :rolleyes: **** it anyway im glad theyre all in relationships but i pity them if they ever find themselves out of one as it seems they cant even imagine living single.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

CuLT wrote: »
    Have you become attached to "Butt Demon" or would you like it changed back to the default? I don't recall what circumstances I set it under.

I think "Butt Monkey" has a better ring to it tbh.

(It was set in some thread about user tags where someone was whinging about what their tag said, and someone changed mine to reflect the fact that I couldn't give a (butt) monkey's about what it says)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Elessar

Why do I need to be not single?

Overheal wrote: »
    sure my mom and sister thing im gay and i could think of a dozen other people that joke about the same :rolleyes: **** it anyway im glad theyre all in relationships but i pity them if they ever find themselves out of one as it seems they cant even imagine living single.
    Yeah, they're gonna be fukked if/when those relationships break up. Anyway, in my opinion, unless you fall madly in love with someone, you're better off enjoying being single in your 20s and not worrying about meeting someone. I was single from 23 to 28 and had a brilliant time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭YogiBear

I joined a group on facebook recently called "Awesome people that are single for no apparent reason". I just don't understand it. I'm fabulous like! :confused:

Advertisement