Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite WW2 movie/tv series?

Options
12346»

Comments

PaulieC wrote: »

I'd still advise watching The Pacific though - gave a decent insight to a side of WWII that's overshadowed by the invasion of Europe, evil Nazis etc. etc.

So true. Only thing is though, I've enjoyed nearly every war movie that is based during the war in the Pacific. Tora Tora Tora, Letters to Iwo Jima etc etc. That is why I thought I'd really enjoy the Pacific, such a pity that wasn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Magi11 wrote: »
    Band of Brothers is superb! The Pacific (the sort of sequel) is ok.

have not seen the pacific one, but it came in for a lot of criticism. basically borrowing from previous films and depicting the japs as primitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

PaulieC wrote: »
    That's your opinion but I have to say
    Use Spoiler tags so you don't completely give away the movie for people who haven't had a chance to watch it yet

Thanking You :mad:

Sorry, I'll do it in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Fuinseog wrote: »
    have not seen the pacific one, but it came in for a lot of criticism. basically borrowing from previous films and depicting the japs as primitive.

To be honest I cant even remember much representation of the Japs in it at all and when they were in it they were just basically running en masse at the americans getting shot. I dont think it made them out to be primitave in any way, it just dident really deal with them or their story. It never said it was going to deal with it either so I wouldent call it a criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Sorry, I'll do it in future.

No worries man - not trying to be your mother or anything! just a bit sad that I'll watch that movie half knowing what happens, still gona watch it though just to see for myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

its not quite WW2 but have just watched a French movie called Kolwezi on Youtube. no subtitles but plenty of action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Two of the very best are on this week on RTE 2. Tonight (Sunday) at 12:10am, Das Boot, and Saturday next at 12:45am, Malick's The Thin Red Line. Set your Sky+ boxes now!

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Two of the very best are on this week on RTE 2. Tonight (Sunday) at 12:10am, Das Boot, and Saturday next at 12:45am, Malick's The Thin Red Line. Set your Sky+ boxes now!

Das Boot is excellent but is a marathon that late :D . I didn't really like the thin red line, was quite disappointed but I know a majority of people thought it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Apologies for using this older thread but just wanted to give a mention to "Winds of War" an 80's tv miniseries. Had never heard of it, but interesting as it covers th 39 and 40 period (all 15 hours of it) essentially about a US navy captain who Forest Gumps his way around Europe. About half way through it so far and while a bit long winded its worth watching

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085112/

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement