Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite WW2 movie/tv series?

Options
  • 03-04-2008 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Anyone got any recommendations? Saving Private Ryan, Enemy at the Gate......

I watched the mini series Band of Brothers last week, it's a fantastic watch, definitely worth buying (it's cheap enough now). Really really good show.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

Forget Enemy at the Gates, some good scenes but terrible movie. Watch Stalingrad, brilliant.
    Downfall is also a great movie, very emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Das Boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Kellys Heroes / Where Eagles Dare / Guns of Navarone / Dirty Dozen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Wow, where to start.

SPR
    Das Boot
    Kelly Heroes etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Kelly's Hero's, Patton , A Bridge too far, Saving Private Ryan.

Band of brothers. (T.V. series)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

The longest Day and The Battle of bulge. Battle of britian is savage aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Black hole sun

Cross of Iron: German unit in the crimea 1943

Come and See : Byelorussian Partisans (excellent film)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I thought Band of Brothers was mediocre, was shocked at how biased it seemed to be, a bit of 80's nostalgic bravado in there - traditional dozens of Germans die for every American live lost on screen.

As for movies....

Stalingrad
    Saving Private Ryan
    Downfall
    Cross of Iron
    Come and See
    Letters from Iwo Jima
    Flags of our Fathers
    The Bridge
    A Bridge too Far
    Schlinder's List
    Winter War
    Kokoda
    Saints and Soldiers

Enemy at the Gates had some fantastic scenes but was a pretty poor movie overall - same for the likes of Windtalkers.

Everyone seems to love The Big Red One, I always thought it was fairly rubbish...any other similar opinions?

I've been looking forward to this for ages but still can't find it with English subs.

All of these are relatively modern films (70's onwards), not really a fan of most of the older movies, at best enjoy them as mindless entertainment. I mean, we all love Where Eagles Dare, but hardly a realistic war film! I don't include Battle of Britain in that however, the reason I dislike most older movies is that they never shake the Sunday afternoon feeling, void of any convincing brutality and realism, feels like Cowboys and Indians replaced by Allies and Axis. I've probably left out a whole bunch of good movies..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

downfall is fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Downfall really is great....

(for those unaware, it chronicles the final days of Hitler in his bunker...... fantastic acting. It's in german with English subs)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

The Thin Red Line, one of my favourite films of all time, let alone WWII

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

the world at war http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_at_War
    THE greatest documentary about the war!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Band of brothers hands down for me! My favorite movie then would be the longest day

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I absolutely loved the opening scene of Enemy at the Gate, man it just sent shivers down my spine.

Everyone's already mentioned all the good ones except for one:

Days of Glory.

It's a French movie and after years of living in France/Belgium, I assumed it would be as ****e as the rest of their film industry.

It's fantastic, is about Algerian troops brought into the French army to fight and the way they were treated.

I'd heartily reccomend it to everyone and it's out in Ireland

I dunno if it's in English dub or not as I saw it in French but the one available here has English subtitles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_Glory_%282006_film%29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Band of Brothers is fantastic

As for movies:
    The Longest Day
    Where Eagles Dare
    A Bridge Too Far
    Bridge Over The River Kwai
    Saving Private Ryan
    The Eagle Has Landed
    The Great Escape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

Photi wrote: »
    The Thin Red Line, one of my favourite films of all time, let alone WWII

YES das boot i would recomend as well, neither are worth watching if you have a short attention span...

Band of brothers would be my favorite though...

And i believe, why you think its biased is because its based on real people who recounted their time with easy, Stephen E. Ambrose got most of his info from them thus the show was heavily based around those people,the dead cant dicuss their past now can they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Nordwind

I'm always amazed at how rubbish the German soldiers are in all of these films. My favourite is a toss up between Das Boot and Der Untergang - two very different films I must add. Cross of Iron was awful, the only decent thing about it was the opening theme tune.

Nordwind wrote: »
    I'm always amazed at how rubbish the German soldiers are in all of these films. My favourite is a toss up between Das Boot and Der Untergang - two very different films I must add. Cross of Iron was awful, the only decent thing about it was the opening theme tune.
    I'm sure the americans were equally hapless in the German movies. Before they lost anyway.

Um, we're talking about films that were made AFTER the war.

Nordwind wrote: »
    Um, we're talking about films that were made AFTER the war.
    Who says? The winners get to write history anyway.

• Advertisement

Well, usually you'd make a film about what happened during the war AFTER the war. It's quite difficult to do it any other way. And I hate that whole 'winners write the history' lark. Take some real interest in the subject and investigate the things that interest you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

I think Cross of Iron is a great film, the book is totally different and way better.
    The Thin Red Line, now thats time I will never get back, when I think of all the things I could have done with that hour and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

kellys hero's for me - oddball cracks me up every time

after that band of brothers, and the apocalypse now - just for that one great scene alone!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

kerryman12 wrote: »
    kellys hero's for me - oddball cracks me up every time

after that band of brothers, and the apocalypse now - just for that one great scene alone!!!:D

Kellys Heroes is a classic, but I've never considered it to be a war film.
    The same goes for apocalypse now, the book it's based on isn't even set in Vietnam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Downfall is my favourite by far. Another great one is Black Book, about the Dutch resistance, really worth watching, not so much for war scenes but a great depiction of life in occupied Europe.

Cant beat the real classics, Das Boot, Bridge over the River Kwai, Dam Busters etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

Loved Black Book 440Hz, really good film I thought. Downfall still gets my Number one vote though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Nice one! Noone I ever mention it to ever seems to have watched it. Im glad im not the only one :) Meant to say as well its official name is Zwartboek

Linkage btw http://imdb.com/title/tt0389557/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

A bridge too far
    Down Fall
    The bridge over Remagen (spelling?)
    A cross of iron
    Tora Tora Tora
    The Desert Fox
    Patton

Plenty more..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jayonaise

Check out THE BIG RED ONE very good story and cast,

but THE GREAT ESCAPE has to be up there

• Advertisement

Fair play lads for getting this forum up and running.

Band of Brothers was by far the best I've seen - I have the boxset ! :D

Downfall was very good (Has anyone ever seen the piss take remake of the moment Hitler is going mad at his generals? )

Saving Private Ryan although I have lost my passion for this because I've seen it so many times :(

Three classics - The Longest Day , the Duke taking on the Nazi's by himself practically

Where Eagles Dare - a bit silly but still good!

Guns of Navarone - one of the best WWII out there TBH.

Advertisement