Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite WW2 movie/tv series?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

I got the band of brothers boxset nearly 2 years ago when it cost about 55 euro. Worth every penny even though it was reduced in xtravision shortly after. A film well worth watching is "The Pianist".
    It is about jewish man who attempts to escape the Nazis. It is all centred around the holocaust.
    It is my favourite film.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

Saabdub wrote: »
    The Battle of Britain, fantasic aerial combat scenes filmed with the actual surviving aircraft (just record it and fast forward through the naff Christopher Plummer, Susanna York relationship subplot).

I watched this last night. Great movie, apart from the subplot. It must have been a great movie to see in the cinema, back in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Saabdub wrote: »
    The Battle of Britain, fantasic aerial combat scenes filmed with the actual surviving aircraft (just record it and fast forward through the naff Christopher Plummer, Susanna York relationship subplot).

Yeah that's a Great movie ! They used post war variants of the He111's (CASA 2111s ) and Me 109's (Hispano Buchon HA-1109-KlL) from the Spanish air Force

http://rwebs.net/ghostsqd/He111.htm
    http://simviation.com/fsdcbainmm.htm

some bloopers in that movie too, see if you noticed ;)

http://www.moviemistakes.com/film1691

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Bought the 2 disc DVD version of 'Der Untergang' a couple of days back, I originally seen the movie as an *ahem*....download :pac:, thus I didnt see all the extra documentaries and 'making of' vids etc.

I knew the movie was pretty accurate, but its amazing how the director strove to be as correct as possible, from dialouge, people, lighting effects within the bunker, street scapes etc etc, seriously impressing!

We need to get Oliver Hirschbiegel over here to make another movie on Michael Collins ;) and put that gobsheen 'Jordan' to shame :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

I've watched Band of Brothers about 6 times now. Cant wait for 'The Pacific'

I remember hearing about "The Pacific" a few years ago. Is it actually being made?

Edit: Sorry...I was just being lazy. I should have searched first:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374463/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pacific_(miniseries)

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/tom-hanks-talks-the-pacific-mini-series/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Cross of Iron
    Kelly's Heroes
    Das Boot
    Downfall

Enemy at the Gates had some fantastic scenes but was a pretty poor movie overall - same for the likes of Windtalkers.

Everyone seems to love The Big Red One, I always thought it was fairly rubbish...any other similar opinions?

I agree with you on Enemy at the Gates, good movie, but a bit too 'Hollywood', plus, unless the Germans, Russians etc are talking there own language, and not a mixture of British and American, it takes away some of the credability.

Big Red one, got it recently on DVD, hmm......probably wont be watching it again, seemed great years ago, but watching it now its a bit tacky.

In the five pages I seen 'The Bridge at Remagen' mentioned only once! :eek: It is a pretty decent movie, again, it has my personal gripe, the English speaking Germans, but at least they put on an accent :p. Its a good movie!

Just about to watch '633 Squadron', again, another movie that seemed great years back, but, we'll see.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

on the same topic Croppy

There was a big Budget German production on the telly over here a while ago about the Berlin air lift, was wierd that the americans spoke German, I accepted it mostly except that the bits that were supposed to be set in the White house were also in german, was offputting to have Truman speakin German

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Glad im not the only one who found The Grey Zone shocking. Hoping to have better luck with Eichmann tonight though, will let ye know later!

Hi All

Found Some Good WW2 stuff on TV This week

Monday November 10th on BBC 2 @ 21:00 - WW2 Behind Closed Doors (New Series)

Monday November 10th on Channel 4 @ 21:00 (also) - The Lost WW1 Bunker - A Time Team Special

Tuesday November 11th on RTE 1 @ 22:15 - And The Red Poppies Dance WW1 Anniversary Programme

Tuesday November 11th on BBC 2 - @ 23:20 - 'Band of Brothers' is Back :-)

Tuesday November 11th on Channel 4 @ 13:40 - The Desert Rats

Tuesday November 11th on Channel 4 @ 21:00 - Lady Randy, Churchills Mother

Enjoy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭dennistuam

schinlers list , indiana jones the first one black hawk down

is stalingrad dvd hard to get

what would the box set of band of brothers cost now last year it was around 40 euro bit steep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

FYI -- Band of Brothers is €15 (free delivery) on play.com

Buy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I saw a bridge too far recently and loved it and downfall would be another of my favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

"The Train" with Burt Lancaster is a great WW2 movie too that's sometimes forgotten - sometimes shown on TCM or MGM movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Yea i agree lots of good ww2 moves ,just a few oldies that i think were missed
    TOBRUK
    ICE COLD IN ALEX
    THE HEROES OF TELEMARK
    THE EAGLE HAS LANDED
    TOO LATE THE HERO

and a more recent favourite of mine BLACK BOOK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Yea i forgot to mention this one "Escape from sobibor" stars rutgar hauer .Seen it many years ago,it stuck in my mind i don't know how well its dated but i think you won't be disapointed if you watch it.
    Its based on true story about a jewish revolt in a concentration camp.Hitler got pissed when he heard and had the camp dismantled. I see it is soon to be re-released on play.com.

The book is top notch as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

Operation Daybreak
    I only have vague memories of this film from when I was about 10 but I always remember the final scene, I dident quite understand it at the time but it has always stayed with me.
    I'm not even sure what it was about, could have been the assassination of Heydrich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 pgroarke

I've seen many of the responses but politely differ...

Best Movies:
    Tora, Tora, Tora
    Das Boot
    Downfall
    Cross of Iron

Best documentary (by a long shot):
    "The Unknown War"
    An incredible documentary series solely about the Eastern Front (narrated by Burt Lancaster) that seemed to go on about as long as the war itself.
    Was shown on TV the 70's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

downfall was an excellent movie,if you looking for something like that in a book,i would recommend fall of berlin by anthony read,it tells the story of the reich last days through surivor accounts.

suprised no one actually mentioned the tv series"the world at war",it was made back in 1973,lord mountbaton contributed to some episodes

• Advertisement

Operation Daybreak
    I only have vague memories of this film from when I was about 10 but I always remember the final scene, I dident quite understand it at the time but it has always stayed with me.
    I'm not even sure what it was about, could have been the assassination of Heydrich.

That was a great movie !:) I recorded it late last year from the TV. You're right, it was about the assassination of Heydrich. They're all trapped in the Church cellar at the end which the Germans flood with water to try to get them to come out. It was pretty historically accurate too afaik.

won't ruin the final scene for anyone who hasn't seen it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Hookey

Loads of great WWII films, beyond the obvious (SPR, BoB, Bridge Too Far, Longest Day etc.), I'd rate:

Attack!
    Soldier of Orange
    Das Boot
    Empire of The Sun
    Ice Cold In Alex
    In Which We Serve
    Come And See
    Hell In The Pacific
    Murphy's War
    Memphis Belle

Hookey wrote: »
    Memphis Belle

I used to feckin' lov that movie when I was a kid/teenager and going through my model airplane phase :p but I dont think I could stomach it now, pity because it was a pretty wel made flick, but, meh, a bit too 'Hollywood'.

Anyone ever see 'Das Falscher' (The Counterfeiters). Its a true story about 'Operation Bernhard', the largest counterfeiting scam in histoy! It was carried out in Sachsenhausen concentration camp in Berlin using forced labour from political prisioners/Jews.

The plan was to counterfeit the British £5, £10 and £20 notes and drop thousands of them over the UK and try flood the economy with these fake notes!! :eek: But as it'd happen the forgeries turned out to be so good that the nazi's decided to use them themselves for there long term dealings!

Pretty decent movie and well made!

Anther one I sen recently was a Russian movie called 'Franz + Polina', a sort of love story set during WW2. Franz, an SS soldier is stationed in a small villiage in Belorussia living a carefree life with his fellow troops as if there was no war happening at all. The movie then turns a bit 'Come and See' wn the orders come through to torch the village and do away with the inhabitants. Franz refuses to tak part, deserts and takes Polina with him ad thus have to survive in a countryside teaming with Soviet resistance groups whom wouldnt take too fondly to knowing that Franz was in the SS!

Decent flick, good cinematography but I felt it tried a little too much to be like 'Come and See', it tried to be very dark and eerie at times, but didnt hit the same notes as C&S.

Sort of WW2 related, and a pretty good watch was 'The Cuckoo'. A Finnish sniper whom has been forced into the SS is chained to a rock at the start of the movie, his job to slow down the advancing Russian troops, thus sacrefising himself and giving his German 'friends' time to escape. But, not wanting to waste his life the young sniper breaks free and comes across a young Lapland woman whom has also taken in a wounded Russian soldier. The woman, whom hasnt seen a man for 4 years cant blieve her luck now that she has two men at once! :pac:

But the Russian soldier is intent on killing the Finnish soldier whom he believes to be a hardened SS veteran. Things are all the more complicated by the fact that all three of them speak a different language! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Band of Brothers (TV Series)

The Pianist (film) - The most well made film dealing with the persecution of the Jews imo.

Downfall - excellent, great character study of Hitler.

Saving private Ryan - Very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

loads that are mentioned in this topic already,heres a few more

enigma,casablanca,charlotte grey,the pianist,galipoli(ww1),the english patient(ww1),eye of the needle,the desert fox,casablanca,the dambusters,ice cold in alex, from here to enternity,
    the longest day.

oh ye saw the boy in the stiped pyjamas last week

cross of iron was a great ould movie,i never forgot the part at the end,where james corborn started to laugh hysterically the reason was the producers ran out of money to complete the film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 borisbullrunner

simk the Bismarck is startin on one the film channels now haha im gonna watch that then ill post my fave. i think band of brothers is one the best things ive seen about the last Great War

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

The wife was out last night so I had a bit of a WW2 night. I downloaded Operation Daybreak, Stalingrad and a German propaganda film called Gegen Panzer III. Operation Daybreak is a great film, very sad, none of the glory of way, just the heartbreak and sorrow that war brings. Stalingrad is also very good but I fell asleep about half way through, dident get to watch Gegen Panzer either. Very disappointed in myself.

triumph over will,olympia are two other infamous german propoganda movies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

I have 2 films that are of personal interest to me because my Dad was in both of them, both as an actor and while he was working on some of the special effects.

The Blue Max (1966) and McKenzie Break (1970) or there abouts.

The Blue Max was mainly based in Casement and Weston air fields, some fantastic aerial shoots and great great flying. While the majority of the McKenzie Break was filmed in and around Coolmooney Camp, in the Glen of Imaal, Co. Wicklow, which was meant to be a British POW Camp in Scotland.

Thanks for listening..............

Advertisement