Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite WW2 movie/tv series?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Anyone ever see 'Das Falscher' (The Counterfeiters). Its a true story about 'Operation Bernhard', the largest counterfeiting scam in histoy! It was carried out in Sachsenhausen concentration camp in Berlin using forced labour from political prisioners/Jews.

The plan was to counterfeit the British £5, £10 and £20 notes and drop thousands of them over the UK and try flood the economy with these fake notes!! :eek: But as it'd happen the forgeries turned out to be so good that the nazi's decided to use them themselves for there long term dealings!

Pretty decent movie and well made!

The BBC had a series about that "Private Schultz" starring Michael Elphick as the German fixer who brings it all together. Thought it was brilliant at the time, haven't thought about it in years!.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_Schulz_(TV_series)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭DublinDes

The Great Escape, Kellys Heros - brillant action movies. For the sheer terror of war, Full Metal Jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

The Whole "The World at War" Documentary Series has been posted on YouTube. Well worth a look if you haven't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LLKv38kOrI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

Combat used to be favourite WW2 series as a kid. Never seem it since but it's firmly lodged in the mind.

Lots of my favourites have already been mentioned but I'd add Heroes of Telemark, The Hill, Dunkirk, Anzio, The Malta Story, Angel One Five, Cockleshell Heroes, Went the Day Well, Life and Times of Col Blimp, San Demetrio London, 5 Graves to Cairo.

Awful films :
    Red Berets with Alan Ladd
    Objective Burma with Errol Flynn
    Thin Red Line
    Pearl Harbor

On last night on ITV4; Tony Franciosa in In Enemy Country. Appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Check out the Russian 'Come and see'.
    The Polish 'Ashes and Diamonds'.
    The French 'Army of Shadows' (Resistance movie) and 'Intimate Enemies' (set in Algeria)
    The Serbian 'Pretty Village Pretty Flame' - amazingly bleak.
    Australian '39th Batallion'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I would have to say the German titles come across as better movies but theres other great titles out there two,one that springs to mind is the Wild Geese,a fantastic line up of stars in that one.My favourites would have to be
    Das Boot
    Stalingrad
    Downfall
    Tora Tora Tora
    A Bridge To Far
    Schindlers List
    Wild Geese
    Black Hawk Down
    Full Metal Jacket
    And Saving Private Ryan

As for tv then it would have to be Band Of Brothers

My only criticism of Stalingrad was the lousy dubbing into English :mad: It's such a pity it wasn't released in German with subtitles only, the way Downfall was, it would have been much better.

I bought the DVD a second time, in Germany, thinking it would have English subtitles and it doesn't, so I'm stuck with 1 copy dubbed, and 1 copy in German only :mad::mad:

If anyone knows where I can get a copy of Stalingrad in German with English subs, please let me know :)

arnhem44 wrote: »
    I would have to say the German titles come across as better movies but theres other great titles out there two,one that springs to mind is the Wild Geese,a fantastic line up of stars in that one.My favourites would have to be
    Das Boot
    Stalingrad
    Downfall
    Tora Tora Tora
    A Bridge To Far
    Schindlers List
    Wild Geese
    Black Hawk Down
    Full Metal Jacket
    And Saving Private Ryan

As for tv then it would have to be Band Of Brothers

I like all the films you have mentioned alot but these 3 aren't WW2 films. Nice mention of the Wild Geese though. Roger Moore ftw!

Wild Geese
    Black Hawk Down
    Full Metal Jacket

marcsignal wrote: »
    My only criticism of Stalingrad was the lousy dubbing into English :mad: It's such a pity it wasn't released in German with subtitles only, the way Downfall was, it would have been much better.

I bought the DVD a second time, in Germany, thinking it would have English subtitles and it doesn't, so I'm stuck with 1 copy dubbed, and 1 copy in German only :mad::mad:

If anyone knows where I can get a copy of Stalingrad in German with English subs, please let me know :)

You'd get it on the net somewhere for sure. Just needs a look about.

"I like all the films you have mentioned alot but these 3 aren't WW2 films. Nice mention of the Wild Geese though. Roger Moore ftw!"

Sorry about that,got carried away:rolleyes:

Sorry about that,got carried away:rolleyes:

haha indeed.

Great films though. Full Metal Jacket is one of my favourite war movies. Simply because of the first hour.

full-metal-jacket-ermey.jpg

• Advertisement

Did anyone pick up thoses free dvds with the Daily Mirror last year,fourteen in all,seven on WW1 and seven on WW2 all in colour,they were a bargin for the price of the stamps required.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Come and See.
    Savage and unrelenting. Disturbing viewing but excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Two which haven't been mentioned..

Europa, Europa

The Uprising

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Forget Enemy at the Gates, some good scenes but terrible movie. Watch Stalingrad, brilliant.
    Downfall is also a great movie, very emotional.

Dead right about Downfall - fantastic film...definately the best WW2 film I've seen, Band of Brothers is phenomenal loved it and have watched it so many times since - read the book too there's more details in it - you get an even bigger picture of how much of a dick Sobel was during their training!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

stalingrad

but if your getting it buy it from america with region 0

the one in ireland / england is dubbed and is more of a comedy with the **** accents.

the one im getting from america is german with subtitles... and it worked out cheaper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Just watched Das Boot for the first time recently, watch the Director's Cut version on the DVD release, 3hrs and 20 odd mintes it is, over and hour longer than the first release apparently.

Fantastic film, up until the last couple of minutes. Really disappointed in the ending tbh, I was expecting something else, the whole film had been so full of pressure, and tension, that it seemed to me the ending was a bit rushed, basic and obvious. I was expecting the officers to be arrested and executed by their own side for 'disobeying' the order to get to Italy, or something more profound and hard hitting along those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

prinz wrote: »
    Just watched Das Boot for the first time recently, watch the Director's Cut version on the DVD release, 3hrs and 20 odd mintes it is, over and hour longer than the first release apparently.

Fantastic film, up until the last couple of minutes. Really disappointed in the ending tbh, I was expecting something else, the whole film had been so full of pressure, and tension, that it seemed to me the ending was a bit rushed, basic and obvious. I was expecting the officers to be arrested and executed by their own side for 'disobeying' the order to get to Italy, or something more profound and hard hitting along those lines.

I agree the directors cut is better. Particularly the scenes going through Gibraltar - fantastic production values, music etc.

That was originally a German TV series and from what I recall it was originally 5 or 6 hrs long - cut to a short movie then cut again to a slightly longer directors cut version.

Its a great movie,when those guys return only to be bombed at the end.classic

Its a great movie,when those guys return only to be bombed at the end.classic
    spoiler :)

ive seen it but for those who havnt....
    use these

• Advertisement

check this

on RTE on sundays and up for a week if you miss it :)

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1051570

check this

Cheers - just watching that now.

watching now

check this

One of the interesting things about that documentary was to illustrate the German Russian co-operation at the very top levels and on down to local level immediately after invading poland.

I have since discovered a photo album I have contains 2 pictures of a German & Russian meeting in Poland in 1939. The people include German diplomatic corps and a Russian General. Here is a link to the pics if anyone is interested :
    (from post 4 on down)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055610755

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Russian/German military co-operation was nothing new. It had been going on for most of the decade, and provided a proving ground for the combined arms tactics the Russians had adapted from the British.

NTM

Just found this gem on youtube :)

it's in parts but worth a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw92FTSpJSc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Watched Dirty Dozen 2 recently. Good old fashioned nonsense, especially the black guy dressed in Waffen SS uniform. :D

Also watching 'Brothers War', fairly low budget but all the uniforms and gear are excellent, it's nice to see movies about the Eastern Front - this one is set in spring 1945 on the Polish border.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

...and if you've seen the new Tarantino movie, taking total piss out of all those 60's -70's war movies. Pure class :D

Just bought and watched Soldiers and Saints. Like it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Watched Valkyrie the other night. Didn't like it. I think what put me off to a great deal was the fact that every German had English or American accents, even the German actors!

I know it's supposed to be very close to what actually happened, but it seemed too Hollywood.

I guess it didnt help that I watched Der Untergang (Downfall) the night previously!

• Advertisement

New series about WW2 in colour starting on Discovery on Sunday @ 21:00 :)

edit * make that friday :o

Advertisement