Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite WW2 movie/tv series?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

anyone remember this?

Secret Army

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

There was a good film on a few nights ago, El Alamein. It is an Italian film dealing with the Italian soldiers experiences during this battle.
    It wasent great but it was a decent enough movie if you want to get a feel of what fighting in Africa was like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

This is a long thread so i didnt read it all, has anyone said Paths of Glory yet?

Also Das Boot, Great Escape

A Few Good Men??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I love Band of Brothers so much I die a little each time I get to the last episode. The Pacific based series by the same makers should be out "soon".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dserbia

Hi Guys, does anybody know what is the name of Australian ww2 tv series? Story is about of few brave soldiers who had a mission to attack Japanese harboure at Singapore. I remember they traveled all the way in secret in the canoes!?

p.s dekifriz@hotmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Ailo Ailo

I guess you mean on Allo Allo, but definetely not the one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

dserbia wrote: »
    Hi Guys, does anybody know what is the name of Australian ww2 tv series? Story is about of few brave soldiers who had a mission to attack Japanese harboure at Singapore. I remember they traveled all the way in secret in the canoes!?

p.s dekifriz@hotmail.com

could it be based on this mission ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_Special_Unit

Operation Jaywick was depicted in the 1988 Australian TV mini-series "The Heroes"

excatly, however, under the name of'' heroes '' haven't seen any via google or yahoo available for sale. Just the '' Heroes '' which I am not interested in :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

so it seems, i've been having a browse too and cant find anything either
    it's listed on the site below, but with no links to buy dvd unfortunately.

http://www.australiantelevision.net/telemovies/198x.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

dserbia wrote: »

p.s dekifriz@hotmail.com

i think Jason Donovan was in it . and it was very good if i remember rightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

marcsignal wrote: »
    Operation Jaywick was depicted in the 1988 Australian TV mini-series "The Heroes"

Would that have been on RTE back then? I've been remembering something like this but only vague glimpses that I couldn't place, just knew it was Australians. I always had a feeling that the title contained the word Lions for some reason though, that's just a gut feeling. Have always wanted to track it down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095297/board/nest/269055?d=3931484&p=1#3931484

Twas deffo on Irish TV in the Early 90's and it was very good.

there dosent seem to be a DVD Version of it tho, only VHS :confused:

I'm tryin to figure out who to contact at Chanel Ten to rectify that situation ;)

"Tanamera - Lion of singapore"
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121030/
    This could be the one with Lions in the Title that Prinz was thinkin of, also about WW2 Singapore, but much longer, I think this was on the Telly in Ireland Too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Whichever one it was it was definitely on RTE, wouldnt have seen it otherwise as didnt have the other stations back then. The canoe commandos sounds right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Just to update on the new WW2 mini series "The Pacific"

Its out now - after downloading and watching the first three episodes and it's brilliant has to be said. The second episode in particular highlights a character who can only be described as a mixture of Winters & Spears from Band of Brothers.

Hope ye enjoy it as much as I have so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

band of brothers,the best

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

PaulieC wrote: »
    Just to update on the new WW2 mini series "The Pacific"

Its out now - after downloading and watching the first three episodes and it's brilliant has to be said. The second episode in particular highlights a character who can only be described as a mixture of Winters & Spears from Band of Brothers.

Hope ye enjoy it as much as I have so far :)

Haven't seen it, but a lot of people who have are very disappointed with it. From their reactions I got the impression that, BoB is totally different league and that Pacific is more like on the Pearl Harbour movie side.

Will think twice before I'll get my vallet out. And definately will like to see it first.

FiSe wrote: »
    Haven't seen it, but a lot of people who have are very disappointed with it. From their reactions I got the impression that, BoB is totally different league and that Pacific is more like on the Pearl Harbour movie side.

Will think twice before I'll get my vallet out. And definately will like to see it first.

The Pacific is totally different to BoB in many ways in my opinion. The first few episodes are only ok and there are a few episodes after them that are very slow in terms of story development. I am currently coming up to the 8th episode as I watch them weekly and can say that the last two (6 & 7) were actually quite good. The thing about the pacific is you don't feel like you know the characters like in Band of Brothers for quite a bit into it, as I have said I am on the 8th episode and I only feel like I know the characters well now with three episodes to go.... I was a huge BoB fan and for me, the Pacific has been very disappointing. Alot of friends that I have discussed it with who have seen it have shared the same views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

A big World War II Weekend is coming up in 3 weeks at a nearby airport. No prior commitments this year, so I am going to try hard to attend. Here is a list of some of real life warriors depicted in some of the movies about WWII that will be at the event. Hopefully I will get some pictures to post here.
    http://www.maam.org/wwii/ww2_guests.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Amerika wrote: »
    A big World War II Weekend is coming up in 3 weeks at a nearby airport. No prior commitments this year, so I am going to try hard to attend. Here is a list of some of real life warriors depicted in some of the movies about WWII that will be at the event. Hopefully I will get some pictures to post here.
    http://www.maam.org/wwii/ww2_guests.htm

You lucky lucky person - meeting an band of brothers, enola gay or indianapolis veteran !!!! Defiinitely post pics if you can :) Just noticed there's a doolittle raid survivor there too. Unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Know it's not WW2 but the movie Passendale, based on that campaign in WWI (not sure which one) is a great movie, slipped somewhat under the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Know it's not WW2 but the movie Passendale, based on that campaign in WWI (not sure which one) is a great movie, slipped somewhat under the radar.

The ending is superb, really get a sense of the horrible conditions, but the middle is as boring as hell, better off to watch the start when at war, ignore canada and then forward when they are back at war.

siblers wrote: »
    The ending is superb, really get a sense of the horrible conditions, but the middle is as boring as hell, better off to watch the start when at war, ignore canada and then forward when they are back at war.

Have to agree this is an excellent movie (aside from the love story).

Another one of WWI well worth checking out is 'All quiet on the western front' (this is currently on sale in tescoes for €5).

I have just finished watching Passchendaele and I can honestly say I have never seen such a heap of crap dressed up as a war film in my whole life. I thought the Thin Red Line was crap but at least it was about the war, this movie was set in Canada apart from 5 minutes at the start and 10 at the end, it could have been set in space for all it related to WW1.

She just happens to be a nurse in his triage tent!
    The little brother for some reason runs across no mans land and jumps into the German trench, why?
    He gets blown up and ends up looking like he was crucified after they had talked about it earlier, what the fcuk was that about?
    And what kind of artillery were the Germans using, fireworks. How many times did a shell land in the middle of a load of people and just kill 1 guy, nobody else even injured, but the one that hit the command bunker nearly tore the place apart. He got blown up a few times without so much as a scratch.
    It had so much potential to be a classic war movie, the start looked great but then he went home, and stayed there for over an hour. I am so disappointed in this movie, it is not fit to bear the name of a battle that lost so many men in such terrible conditions, fair enough if they want to make a love story give it a love story name, dont belittle the memory of Passchendaele with this crap.

Horse sh1t is the only words I would use to describe this movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I have just finished watching Paschendale and I can honestly say I have never seen such a heap of crap dressed up as a war film in my whole life. I thought the Thin Red Line was crap but at least it was about the war, this movie was set in Canada apart from 5 minutes at the start and 10 at the end, it could have been set in space for all it related to WW1.

The little brother for some reason runs across no mans land and jumps into the German trench, why?
    He gets blown up and ends up looking like he was crucified after they had talked about it earlier, what the fcuk was that about?
    And what kind of artillery were the Germans using, fireworks. How many times did a shell land in the middle of a load of people and just kill 1 guy, nobody else even injured, but the one that hit the command bunker nearly tore the place apart. He got blown up a few times without so much as a scratch.
    It had so much potential to be a classic war movie, the start looked great but then he went home, and stayed there for over an hour. I am so disappointed in this movie, it is not fit to bear the name of a battle that lost so many men in such terrible conditions, fair enough if they want to make a love story give it a love story name, dont belittle the memory of Paschendale with this crap.

Horse sh1t is the only words I would use to describe this movie.

Well, sorry that you expect a war movie to revolve solely around war. This movie deals with war in its totality - fighting, recuperation, home leave, return to the battlefield. Drawing note to your comment that he spent so long at home, it is common knowledge that many units spent far more time behind the lines than in it. Could have been set in space? Sorry, I'm confused. Are you insinuating that the set pieces that refer to said era Canada resemble futuristic moon colonization eras? I, for one, did not think so in the slightest, and felt that the movie was a rather interesting pierce on WW1 in its entirety, encompassing the front, the home front, and its affects on the individual and society as a whole. I'm sorry you overlooked these concerns in favor of inaccuracies regarding German artillery, but as someone who has studied German history and both world wars as academic subjects, and can recognize and accept military inaccuracies as a given in motion pictures, I felt the movie was rather decent.

I think it was a good movie, in terms of production values and effects, acting cinematography and so on.

I think the scenes set in canada were not all bad - some of them were as interesting & relevant as say the scenes in Gallipoli set in Australia.

The love interest aspect does take away from the movie but not to the point where it becomes unwatchable. Compared to the abysmal red baron movie of a couple of years back this one was not half bad. I was particularly glad to see them address the 'crucified canadian' story & put it to rest. For years this was a potent piece of propaganda used against the Germans - right up there with the soap factories stories of WWI.

As a piece of trivia the main actor directed it too, his grandfather fought at paschendaele iirc.

The cinematography, production, acting etc were all very good, as I said it had the potential to be a great war movie, what I felt it lacked was war. I thought the main character was good, the nurse was good too. It was interesting to see a bit of life in Canada during the war and the attitudes of the military to people with shell shock or illness.
    If it were advertised as a snapshot of Canadian military and civilian life in 1917 then yes it may have been a decent movie to anyone interested in that particular era, but to be described as a movie about Passchendaele is totally inaccurate. I was looking forward to a film about the brutal conditions endured by the men on both sides during the conflict, this I did not get. The best part of the film for me in that respect was one of the closing shots of the battle when the camera zooms out to reveal the extent of the battlefield, I could have watched that for longer. The battle scene was very good but there was only one of them, the campaign lasted for several months.
    I can forget the bad explosions etc but I just dident like the movie for what I was expecting from a movie with that name, Titanic was a love story too but at least it was set on the Titanic.
    It was good to clear up the story about the crucifiction, I just think it cheapened it to then have the kid getting blown into a crucified position, I got the idea about how it can happen from an artillery blast when he explained it earlier.

The Pacific is totally different to BoB in many ways in my opinion. The first few episodes are only ok and there are a few episodes after them that are very slow in terms of story development. I am currently coming up to the 8th episode as I watch them weekly and can say that the last two (6 & 7) were actually quite good. The thing about the pacific is you don't feel like you know the characters like in Band of Brothers for quite a bit into it, as I have said I am on the 8th episode and I only feel like I know the characters well now with three episodes to go.... I was a huge BoB fan and for me, the Pacific has been very disappointing. Alot of friends that I have discussed it with who have seen it have shared the same views.

Agreed - nail on the head stuff. Character development is far better for BOB imo, The Pacific started well I thought, I posted above having seen the first three episodes and had high hopes for the rest of the series, only for it to fail to deliver.

I did like how they tried to finish it tbh
    attempting to show how the marines coped with slipping back into normal life
    - it's something that BOB skimmed over a bit I feel - don't get me wrong I like the ending to BOB - it just had a feeling of happily ever after about it when I expected a twist.

For me, the redeeming characteristic of The Pacific was John Bastogne but even then, his story went a bit too Hollywood/Disney movie for my liking.

To summarise, there's simply no beating an original - Band of Brothers was a breakthrough in WWII TV productions and set the bar and it's of little suprise to me that The Pacific failed to reach such lofty heights.

I'd still advise watching The Pacific though - gave a decent insight to a side of WWII that's overshadowed by the invasion of Europe, evil Nazis etc. etc.

I have just finished watching Passchendaele and I can honestly say I have never seen such a heap of crap dressed up as a war film in my whole life. I thought the Thin Red Line was crap but at least it was about the war, this movie was set in Canada apart from 5 minutes at the start and 10 at the end, it could have been set in space for all it related to WW1.

It had so much potential to be a classic war movie, the start looked great but then he went home, and stayed there for over an hour. I am so disappointed in this movie, it is not fit to bear the name of a battle that lost so many men in such terrible conditions, fair enough if they want to make a love story give it a love story name, dont belittle the memory of Passchendaele with this crap.

That's your opinion but I have to say
    Use Spoiler tags so you don't completely give away the movie for people who haven't had a chance to watch it yet

Thanking You :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Magi11

Band of Brothers is superb! The Pacific (the sort of sequel) is ok.

Advertisement