Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the inconsistencies thread [spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Hey can anyone answer this one for me. I was just watching Last Stand (Part 2) (SG1 5x16 - the one where Daniel is at the system lord's summit).

Why are the goa'uld eating symbiotes?
    To kill off their competition as I recall. Not eating, just killing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Overheal wrote: »
    Puddle Jumper: the episode where it gets stuck in the gate? they say it cant go through because it needs 'inertia' unless it has its drive pods extended. But every time one of those things flies out of atlantis it does no such thing. Even since day one.

arent the gates in the pegasus galaxy larger?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,879 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    arent the gates in the pegasus galaxy larger?

Nope. Remember it got stuck in a Pegasus gate.
    Just rewatched that ep it had a few inconsistencies but ill let most of them slide on account of it being its 4th ep and all.

One thing that did bother me though was OK the jumper cannot get through except as one whole piece but surely anyone inside jumping freely into the event horizon would end up on the other side, ahead of the jumper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

surely anyone inside jumping freely into the event horizon would end up on the other side, ahead of the jumper?
    Not if you consider that it would have to take the outermost shell of the item as the basis for what has to go through. Otherwise every time a jumper went through the gate the crew would be thrown out first and an x-ton spacecraft spat out on top of them :)

Not if you consider that it would have to take the outermost shell of the item as the basis for what has to go through. Otherwise every time a jumper went through the gate the crew would be thrown out first and an x-ton spacecraft spat out on top of them :)

But imagine the scene as it were in 38 minutes.

In the jumper you are sitting or you are standing, etc. etc. so your mass is attached to the jumper.

Now try and imagine if you were in that situation and you were to fire a bullet into the Event Horizon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Now try and imagine if you were in that situation and you were to fire a bullet into the Event Horizon.
    The bullet would be stored in the buffer until all off the jumper passed through the event horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

One thing that did bother me though was OK the jumper cannot get through except as one whole piece but surely anyone inside jumping freely into the event horizon would end up on the other side, ahead of the jumper?
    Anyone remember Teal'c using a rope that was going through an active stargate?
    (Stargate was lateral, they were rescueing RDA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Sherifu wrote: »
    The pilot. Linked above.

I asumed it wasent wind and the tarp covering the gate was moving as the gate vibrated and spun.
    Puddle Jumper: the episode where it gets stuck in the gate? they say it cant go through because it needs 'inertia' unless it has its drive pods extended. But every time one of those things flies out of atlantis it does no such thing. Even since day one.

And that
    wraith clone facility? surely they would be just as happy if they built it to clone humans! Endless supplies of food.

Very good point about the cloning vacility

children of the gods again!

A Death Glider had a ring transporter built into it and functioned exactly like a wraith dart: it also appeared much larger than normal but it was definitely a glider. it was used to teleport apophis to in front of the stargate.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

In fairness with the M16s they took down two snakies. It's possible they improved the P90s and their bullets. We don't see how they dial out. What I noticed watching the clip though is the incomming gate spins. Usually incomming gates just light up one chevron at a time.

The gates doing anything before a connection is made is inconsistent. That would it mean that the wormhole opens on the home side before it opens at the destination. Then the gate lighting up one chevron at a time is like the ringing of a phone. But don't both sides of the wormhole need to be connected and open before it actually has a connection?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

DingChavez wrote: »
    The gates doing anything before a connection is made is inconsistent. That would it mean that the wormhole opens on the home side before it opens at the destination. Then the gate lighting up one chevron at a time is like the ringing of a phone. But don't both sides of the wormhole need to be connected and open before it actually has a connection?

All aspects of gate activity have always been very inconsistent. Sometimes, I've seen the iris code come through before the wormhole even opens. Sometimes, you see SG1, or others, run straight into the wormhole when it opens. This would suggest that it's opened at the other side straight away, and goes against seeing the chevrons light up one by one on the other side. When off-world, you often see an incoming wormhole open without any warning, other times the chevrons light up.

I try not to worry too much about it. They are traveling though artificial wormholes to various parts of the galaxy after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

firstly what, inertia of a body is when it moves after the force causing the movement stops like when you kick a ball you onlt apply force for a moment it's inertia keeps it moving

the jumpers seem to move with the drive pods in, prod to do with the same device they float with
    And that
    wraith clone facility? surely they would be just as happy if they built it to clone humans! Endless supplies of food.

free range tastes better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

And that

Not really, it was established early on that the wraith culls serve two purposes. The first is to feed but the second is to wipe out any civilisation that looks like it might be getting even remotely close to mounting a challenge to the wraith. Hence why the Genii go to such lengths to conceal the true measure of their technology.

If they had battery humans they'd probably be less inclined to go cull planets and pretty quickly somone would get the drop on their now fat and lazy asses (which would be kinda ironic considering that's exactly how they whupped the ancients)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Rascal77

The puddle jumper had got stuck in the stargate half way through so the pilots had already gone into the event horizon.So when the engine was retracted there was no one to pilot it and the survivors couldn't go into the cockpit.Also because the ship wasn't all the way through the people inside the event horizon would be killed when the stargate shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

The episode where carter blows a sun up using a stargate. They dial the gate on approach to the sun, but from other episodes i know that you have to be on/orbiting a planet to dial a gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

in 2001, are we to believe the SGC just left ambassador Joe to the mercy of the aschen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

norbert64 wrote: »
    in 2001, are we to believe the SGC just left ambassador Joe to the mercy of the aschen?
    What could they do? There was no way to gate back to the planet (they gave them black hole address so their gate would be jammed) and they did not have any ships.

what about the lucian alliance? There was never a end of them, it was more like the time they arranged herours death, someone else just took over. The lucian alliance is still a powerfull force with many motherhships

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

One that confused me was when Carter met the Carter(with the long hair)from another reality and they could'nt exist in the same reality..but since then that doesnt seem to be a problem like when Rodney McCay had another Rodney in his reality nobody was dying then...I may have missed them explain this.

Not really, it was established early on that the wraith culls serve two purposes. The first is to feed but the second is to wipe out any civilisation that looks like it might be getting even remotely close to mounting a challenge to the wraith. Hence why the Genii go to such lengths to conceal the true measure of their technology.

If they had battery humans they'd probably be less inclined to go cull planets and pretty quickly somone would get the drop on their now fat and lazy asses (which would be kinda ironic considering that's exactly how they whupped the ancients)
    As The Queen points out, any unknown number of feeding grounds has been infected with the Hoffman drug. The Wraith are running out of options in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

In the (I think it's the first episode) where SG-1 are captured and Teal'c helaps them escape, e uses his staff weapon to oblitrate half of the prison wall.
    Later, however, Staff Weapons are much weaker.

and yet glider weapons still go BOOOOM.

and the glider in 101 had rings and noone ever bothered cloakng motherships after apophis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

dunno if this has been up before,

i dont understand in the episode when the ORI come through the beachead, theres a fleet of earth, jaffa and ASGUARD ships, and all the ORI ships get away, and do a job on the fleet in the process,
    YET in unending when the deadalaus is upgraded with ASGUARD weapons, they blow up an ORI ship with just 2 shots WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Corresponding with SG1/Atlantis/the lost tribe, was there ever any mention over the years, of other Asgard offshoots fannying about in other places like the Pegasus Galaxy?

I can't say I recall anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

don ramo wrote: »
    dunno if this has been up before,

i dont understand in the episode when the ORI come through the beachead, theres a fleet of earth, jaffa and ASGUARD ships, and all the ORI ships get away, and do a job on the fleet in the process,
    YET in unending when the deadalaus is upgraded with ASGUARD weapons, they blow up an ORI ship with just 2 shots WTF

That was explained in the episode when they got the weapons,they had developed experimental weapons since that encounter but they had never tested them,the prototypes were fitted to the Daedulous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

norbert64 wrote: »
    Corresponding with SG1/Atlantis/the lost tribe, was there ever any mention over the years, of other Asgard offshoots fannying about in other places like the Pegasus Galaxy?

I can't say I recall anything.

Neither can I...

Inconsistencies? where to begin! I'm more aware of it in SGA, cos I paid a lot more attention to it.

I did notice that in an early ep of SG-1 someone used a zat to stun, kill then disintegrate someone, which was alluded to in ep 100 when the actors in Wormhole eXtreme were arguing about it, although I don't remember seeing anyone using a third zat shot to disintegrate anyone again.

Regarding the SGC Gate being opened without a DHD/a kahwoosh, the Noxx were able to open a wormhole without using a DHD and without producing a kahwhoosh effect.

Teal'c's gold makeup was caused by his having a symbiote, once the symbiote was gone the gold effect on his skin (I think it was something to do with his immune system) faded away. He was bald when he was First Prime of Apophis because it was part of his "thing". Now that he's not First Prime he can grow his hair ...

In SGA:-
    Ronon initially appeared to be immune to Wraith feeding, then all of a sudden he wasn't ... (well not all of a sudden, but you know what I mean!)

Teyla was from a primitive tribe of hunter/gatherers who lived in tents, in various episodes she was seen wearing a watch (she can tell the time, Earth time?!) using a tablet computer and seemed to have way to much knowledge of technology than someone from a primitive tribe would have.

Ronon was from a technologically advanced society (remember he lived in a house, wore machine made clothes, had a radio, his wife/girlfriend worked in a well equipped hospital) but he behaved more like the primitive hunter/gatherer with an 'allergy' to technology.
    In that S5 ep where they were leaping from dimension to dimension Teyla has learned how to read English, and operate systems on the Daedalus. Ronon hasn't done either (we know he can read "a bunch of languages" (cite - Trinity - he was able to read what it said on the photos of the Atlantis personnel) and he can count Rainman style (cite - Aurora - when he and Teyla were counting the pods), so what was stopping him learning how to use the systems? Then in a later episode [of S5] when helping Jennifer to sabotage the Daedalus [to stop Todd] all of a sudden he knows what's what and where the best places to hit the ship are...

Actually there are several inconsistencies regarding Ronon ...
    He thinks he's the only Satedan left. He meets an old friend (Solan) in Trinity, and is told that over 300 people survived - they harked on about it several times as though This Is A Very Important Point. Then in Reunion he finds 3 more Satedans, who also happen to be old friends of his (who were apparently [from what I can tell] kept alive by the Wraith purely to find and kill/hand back Ronon), Ronon decides to leave Atlantis with them. Why? He didn't want to leave the last time he found one of his former friends, he stayed on Atlantis as it was the best way to fight the Wraith. The 300 survivors nor Solan are mentioned. Solan turns up in another episode where he shows callous disregard for Ronon's plight - erm weren't they like bestest buddies?! And where are the other 300+ Satedans? Weren't they Something Important?

I'm going to stop now before I explode ... ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I did notice that in an early ep of SG-1 someone used a zat to stun, kill then disintegrate someone, which was alluded to in ep 100 when the actors in Wormhole eXtreme were arguing about it, although I don't remember seeing anyone using a third zat shot to disintegrate anyone again.

I seen the disintegrate thing in a couple of episodes.
    Teal'c's gold makeup was caused by his having a symbiote, once the symbiote was gone the gold effect on his skin (I think it was something to do with his immune system) faded away. He was bald when he was First Prime of Apophis because it was part of his "thing". Now that he's not First Prime he can grow his hair ...

He seemed to have lost the gold makeup long before he lost his symbiote.

teyla traded with other worlds and im sure someone had learned how to create watches and time pieces. shes also rather intelligent so im sure with training she oculd understand a computer.

ronon was a runner for years. trained and raised well with technology and all of that, but still a pair of boots at the end of the day, and living in the bushes for years. Ronon was always much more instinctive than intellectual. Theres no instinct on a keyboard.

and now that they have ZPM power for the Chair, how come they have never re-attempted to remote pilot a jumper? (The Seige, Part 2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

In fairness with the M16s they took down two snakies. It's possible they improved the P90s and their bullets. We don't see how they dial out. What I noticed watching the clip though is the incomming gate spins. Usually incomming gates just light up one chevron at a time.
    In star gate continuum though they take out two guards with tommy guns!

Advertisement