Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the inconsistencies thread [spoilers]

Options
  • 03-04-2008 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,979 ✭✭✭✭

A thread for all of those stupid goings on that drive you insane. For example...

I was watching an episode from season 3 of atlantis where
    the replicators occupy the city

What really gets me, is 2 things:
    1. The replicators fire drones at Sheppard's jumper and he evades them by going underwater. Later in the same episode, Beckett uses the drone chair to fire drones underwater, hitting the City Star Drive.

2. ZPMs. The replicators brought 3 ZPMs with them to power the city shield and the Star Drive. After the replicators are overthrown, where the hell do the ZPMs disappear?

and wtf is up with Tealc wearing Gold facepaint in the first few seasons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

In the pilot episode, Apophis and his goons come to make trouble through the gate on Earth. There is no DHD and they don't use the computer based dialing device to dial out. So how do they dial the gate?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Overheal wrote: »

Did the gold paint thing disappear when he lost his symbiote and starting taking that drug instead? Or did it happen before that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Before that.

Great thread btw. but my mind is blank now. I know there a good few that i dont get but my mind is all gone.

Zats - Doing whatever the script requires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Sherifu wrote: »
    In the pilot episode, Apophis and his goons come to make trouble through the gate on Earth. There is no DHD and they don't use the computer based dialing device to dial out. So how do they dial the gate?
    They used the arm-band type dialing device. The main inconsistency would be that I don't recall Apophis using it again, but others have used similar devices throughout the series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

How about how every piece of alien technology has a usb port.

You'd think they'd upgrade to bluetooth.

Or better still, in 'Forever In A Day', Teal'c fire his rope through the gate and it comes out the other side. Yet in 'Thirty Eight Minutes', we're toild that the jumper can't rematerialise untill it is fully entered.

Johnmb wrote: »
    They used the arm-band type dialing device.
    That's the popular explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

dudara wrote: »
    Did the gold paint thing disappear when he lost his symbiote and starting taking that drug instead? Or did it happen before that?

from the episode citizen joe :
    JOE: I know the hair makes you look different, but didn't you used to be more gold-colored?

i had a good chuckle when this was pointed out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Can bearly remember the episode and havent been following SGA so maybe theres an easy explanation but:

SG1 dialed the supergate from pegasus to prevent Ori reinforcements. What was stopping the wraith from invading the milky way this way?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Can bearly remember the episode and havent been following SGA so maybe theres an easy explanation but:

SG1 dialed the supergate from pegasus to prevent Ori reinforcements. What was stopping the wraith from invading the milky way this way?

They need a ZPM to power the gate to get a connection from Pegasus to the milkyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

No the gate was active. The gate being active was what stoped ori reinforcemetns from comming true. The wraith could have invaded though that gate, there was nothing to stop them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Razers Edge

A thread for all of those stupid goings on that drive you insane. For example...

I was watching an episode from season 3 of atlantis where
    the replicators occupy the city

What really gets me, is 2 things:
    1. The replicators fire drones at Sheppard's jumper and he evades them by going underwater. Later in the same episode, Beckett uses the drone chair to fire drones underwater, hitting the City Star Drive.

2. ZPMs. The replicators brought 3 ZPMs with them to power the city shield and the Star Drive. After the replicators are overthrown, where the hell do the ZPMs disappear?

The 2nd thing was explained in the series
    1 ZPM stayed on atlantis to power the shield etc, the other 2 were sent to earth to 1 power the chair in antartica, and the other for use on the Opollo (earth ship), in the fight against the Ori

• Registered Users Posts: 81,979 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the answer to that is the even bigger spoof youre missing: they dialled the gate and killed all the poor poker rookies. They never re-dialed: the gate stayed active and they went back through: the first and only time anyone is seen using a worm hole bi-directionally.

Razer when exactly did that happen/get mentioned? Tbh im missing all of the episodes after Return Pt II.

I dont see why they didnt just bring the city to Earth to fight the Ori: Screw the Apollo!

edit: very good point about the supergate. But theyd have to know about it: who needs to go travelling around a black hole to find an active stargate? Who has the time? Id say they simply never picked up on it.

Also: Wraith Stun Tech. When a Dart captures mcKay he is released from the transporter hold and as a result, is stunned. Because apparently its designed to do that. When Wraith are transported in it, it doesnt. Theyre immune to it supposedly. So how come they can still be affected by Stun weapons? And in season 4 there was a mock version of the old Ring Transporter that used Wraith teleporter tech... the team went through it and didnt so much as get dizzy: killed every wraith on the other side -_-

the answer to that is the even bigger spoof youre missing: they dialled the gate and killed all the poor poker rookies. They never re-dialed: the gate stayed active and they went back through: the first and only time anyone is seen using a worm hole bi-directionally.

Razer when exactly did that happen/get mentioned? Tbh im missing all of the episodes after Return Pt II.

I dont see why they didnt just bring the city to Earth to fight the Ori: Screw the Apollo!
    I shall rewatch at the earliest oppertunity to confirm.

edit: here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HzmsyibX7Y damn apparently not. Maybe it was the DHD thing that pissed me off.

new one though: those snake guards were almost bullet broof. since when?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Razers Edge

It was in the next episode 'echoes', Rodneywas argueing with Elizabeth for keeping the zpms, and they explained what the other 2 were used for, and btw it was the Odyssey, not the Apollo the zpm was used for, my mistake :o
    Transcript of the episode is here http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s3/transcripts/312.shtml (contains spoilers)

edit: here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HzmsyibX7Y damn apparently not. Maybe it was the DHD thing that pissed me off.

new one though: those snake guards were almost bullet broof. since when?
    In fairness with the M16s they took down two snakies. It's possible they improved the P90s and their bullets. We don't see how they dial out. What I noticed watching the clip though is the incomming gate spins. Usually incomming gates just light up one chevron at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

In fairness with the M16s they took down two snakies. It's possible they improved the P90s and their bullets. We don't see how they dial out. What I noticed watching the clip though is the incomming gate spins. Usually incomming gates just light up one chevron at a time.

Can't remember the episode, but you are right about the P90s. They mention that they are using "armor piercing teflon coated rounds".

EDIT: Its "The Warrior" season 5.
    http://www.twiztv.com/scripts/stargate/season5/stargate-518.htm

Yeah the incoming wormhole seems to be at the dramatic disposal of the script.

Yeah the incoming wormhole seems to be at the dramatic disposal of the script.
    I think the only time it spins like that is in the pilot, I could be wrong though.

• Advertisement

No sometimes it does spin for an incoming wormhole sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it just explodes open.

youre quite right about P-90s - the FN P-90 uses custom 5.7mm FN Armor Piercing rounds. As does its companion sidearm, the Five-seveN.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_P90

Then of course they got rid of Daniel's sneezing, the freeze-effect from exiting a wormhole and since when does making it spin generate wind?

youre quite right about P-90s - the FN P-90 uses custom 5.7mm FN Armor Piercing rounds. As does its companion sidearm, the Five-seveN.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_P90

Then of course they got rid of Daniel's sneezing, the freeze-effect from exiting a wormhole and since when does making it spin generate wind?

The two things that very quickly disappeared were
    A)The need to translate, everyone speaks English.
    B)The need to commutate a new address for earth to dial home from other planets. In theory the address for earth is dependant or where you are dialling from - and this was supported in a few early episodes, and remember any time they talk about planetary drift. Now maybe as part of the mission briefings teams are told the relevant dial home sequence, but there are a few episodes where ppl dial home when they're not even sure where they are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Then of course they got rid of Daniel's sneezing

He started taking antihistamines.
    the freeze-effect from exiting a wormhole

They explained this was because initially the alignment of the gate was off due to stellar drift which was uncompenstated for since they weren't using a DHD, hence they could only dial Abydos, but then Sam accounted for the variance...
    and since when does making it spin generate wind?

Where did this happen again?

Where did this happen again?
    The pilot. Linked above.

Yea but anytime they explain that crap they know what theyre doing - theyll poke at themselves for it.

For example, the latest episode of SGA when Jon is thrown several thousand years into the future. Carter asks Rodney "Why didn't the gate's failsafe prevent the wormhole from locking?"

McKay mumbles a bunch of meaningless gibberish before assuring Shepphard he would give Zelenka a stern talking to. :rolleyes:

Puddle Jumper: the episode where it gets stuck in the gate? they say it cant go through because it needs 'inertia' unless it has its drive pods extended. But every time one of those things flies out of atlantis it does no such thing. Even since day one.

And that
    wraith clone facility? surely they would be just as happy if they built it to clone humans! Endless supplies of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

User45701 wrote: »
    No the gate was active. The gate being active was what stoped ori reinforcemetns from comming true. The wraith could have invaded though that gate, there was nothing to stop them.
    Wasn't that gate in Pegasus being powered by a black hole? I would think that is a deterrent to any wraith invasion - that and the fact the black hole disrupted communications so the wraith ship couldnt report the active wormhole to anyone before its destruction.

Hey can anyone answer this one for me. I was just watching Last Stand (Part 2) (SG1 5x16 - the one where Daniel is at the system lord's summit).

Why are the goa'uld eating symbiotes?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it was a subtle mad cow disease bit

Advertisement