Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

Either the Venue in Strandhill or The Bistro great food and service everytime i've been in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

edolan wrote: »
    Either the Venue in Strandhill

Buffalo Wings from the Venue *droooool*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Lornen wrote: »
    Bagel Bar is always looking a bit empty. Not surprising considering none of the staff know how to LISTEN to customers.

They never cut the panini's to go and when you ask them they act like you've just told them you've slaughtered their family.
    Massive SIGHS when you ask them to leave out certain ingredients and alot of the staff aren't Irish so they talk over you in their language. A bit discouraging..

Also, a friend got one of those ridiculously over priced pastries and the cream in the middle of one was still frozen solid..

Not even fresh and they were atleast twice the price of anything out of O'Hehirs.. Mental..

Good bagels though, when they feel up to making something decent.

I hate it when people are making a sandwich for you and they get it wrong. Nothing wrong with that,but when you correct them and they sigh or pull a strop that's what's annoying.

Was in O'Hehirs the other week and ordered some turkey club sandwich and chips they had on offer.
    I specifically said at the end of my sentence 'Butter,no mayonnaise please'
    I look and she's spread mayo on two slices so I say 'Sorry,no mayo just butter'
    The look I was given you'd have sworn I just insulted her. Hate that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I hate it when people are making a sandwich for you and they get it wrong. Nothing wrong with that,but when you correct them and they sigh or pull a strop that's what's annoying.

Was in O'Hehirs the other week and ordered some turkey club sandwich and chips they had on offer.
    The look I was given you'd have sworn I just insulted her. Hate that kind of thing.

What's worse is if you order it for take-away, don't/can't actually see them make it then leave to go to eat it wherever you have to be & realise they've messed up your order & now you can't eat your sandwich/roll cos it's got that stuff on it that you hate!!!!!!! ::cue crazy breathing & mad eyes::

::deep breath in...and exhale::

Rant over...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Brian72

there can only be one winner - The Venue in Strandhill.Service a bit slow, but worth the wait.
    Starter - buffalo wings
    Main - Venue burger/chargrilled chicken fillet burger
    Dessert - fudge cake
    You will not be disappointed :D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

The Venue's chicken wings: the stuff dreams are made of.... mmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Is this the O'Hehirs in Tesco Arcade?

Look like a happy crowd everytime I walk past :P
    Does anyone in there know how to make a wrap? Mate of mine was getting something and they crammed that much stuff onto this tiny wrap and when folding it the wrap split and there was wrap giblets flying all over the shop! Then she just slapped it all together, tried to wrap it even though there was sauce everywhere and sold it..
    What a joke.

Also, walked in there one day with my mother as she saw an old friend, this waitress had a cup and a teapot of scalding hot tea and walked REALLY quietly up behind my mother before trying to put the teapot down for her friend, but my mum just felt someone rub behind her so automatically turned around and the girl dropped everything.
    I know it wasn't done on purpose but why the hell would you walk up BEHIND someone carrying boiling hot liquids and proceed to make yourself unknown to them?!

She didn't even apologise just huffed and went back for a broom. I could see her giving out sh1t to a fellow member of staff while I picked up some big shards of the cup..

Didn't even say thanks or apologise..
    Never been and certainly won't ever consider eating there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I had a meal in the Venue on Saturday afternoon.

The veg soup I had for the starter was savage, would easily have had another bowl or 2!

I was a bit disappointed with the main, we both got the char grilled sirloin and my woman likes hers well done, I asked for mine medium as herself does not like to even see blood on my plate! She wanted chips, I wanted mash and veg.

The steaks were mixed up on the plates when they came out and my mash was lumpy and the veg was a salad :confused:

It was tasty and quite early to be in there though. I would go back again. Lovely view of the red sky over the beach too

Don't get me wrong guys,the Venue does a good feed,but it's just pub food really,nothing I'd rave over.
    Love the wings and the chicken burgers good.

Loren it was the one over beside E.J's

Don't get me wrong guys,the Venue does a good feed,but it's just pub food really,nothing I'd rave over.
    Love the wings and the chicken burgers good.

Loren it was the one over beside E.J's

Bizarre. Love their chester slices though.. The only reason I go in there is for them! Would give an arm and a leg for their recipe!

• Advertisement

What's a chester slice? Sorry lornen I said loren last time :P

What's a chester slice? Sorry lornen I said loren last time :P

Chester slice and Gur cake are the same thing I'm sure.. So if you know what a gur cake is you know what a chester slice is! But if not;
    It's this little square shaped cake, it sits usually beside the flapjacks and apple slice squares. It's got a layer of plain cake on top and bottom, and in the middle is this little spiced layer of cake that's loaded with raisins and lovely stuff! I'm a bit unaware as to what exactly O'Hehirs use to make their take on the "Gur Cake" as the original was just all the old left over cakes in the bakery, mixed together with some spices, brewed tea and treacle and then slapped in between two pieces of pastry, but I would recommend you try one..

They are absolutely amazing and my biggest vice.

Don't like them too much though, I still want one now and then! :P

picture :)

http://www.thedailyspud.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Gur-cake.jpg

Ahhh I know it now.

I always thought that was chocolate :pac:

Ahhh I know it now.

I always thought that was chocolate :pac:

Nah! O'Hehirs gur cake is a little on the anorexic side though, not like the good ol' home made stuff :P

I wish we had more bakeries in town and not just the O'Hehir monopoly in town..

No one suggest the Gourmet Parlour to me either.

They never wash their bloody knives properly! I got a lovely (pricey considering what it was) Vanilla sponge there and they must have been cutting onions or something with the knife they sliced it with as there was this absolutely criminal taste off it.. Was at a BBQ and the host had a few bloopers involving their cheesecake/pies where they just tasted really gone off.. Perhaps they were left out too long before being collected or something..

They all seem super pretentious in there too...

That's rank about the onions and the sponge.
    Must say I like the cakes in the Gourmet Parlour.

That's rank about the onions and the sponge.
    Must say I like the cakes in the Gourmet Parlour.

Tell me about it. The cheese in one of their cheesecakes, I don't know if they left it out or didn't chill it properly but it tasted really sour :/

Never had a good thing come out of there. Maybe it was just my bad luck though.

The sandwiches and soup are nice,I like the chocolate cake too,

My sister and her boyfriend often get delivery from Sakura's..

I liked Sakura's. They were a pretty "average" chinese. Prices were ok, but I think about 2 years ago they slapped 1.20 onto nearly ALL of their meals. What a joke.

I got the chilli chicken one day and after searching through the sticky fluorescent red goo that was the chilli sauce, I bit into this thin shrivelled piece of "chicken"... It didn't resemble chicken in ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM.
    It was also transparent, like when you give your cat the left overs of a chicken and a few days later you find some sharp see through like shards of it gracing the floor behind the bowl..

The next time we got from there, I ordered the beef version and I'm 99% sure I wasn't eating beef. It was completely un-identifiable. It had no taste of beef or anything for that matter. The sauce is so un-naturally strong. It's like chucking your chicken/beef into a dib dab.

Absolutely RANK. Not spicy at all.

Can't get over the price increase. You swear for that extra euro slapped onto the price tag they'd try improve on the quality...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

i used to love sakura but last time we ordered something it was so horrible, we had to throw both meals away.
    the sauce was clear and gooey, meat tasted horrible and hardly any vegetables in it.
    tried GrEAT twice now and were happy both times. food tasted lovely, delivery was quick and even got free big bottle of coke

ge_ch wrote: »
    i used to love sakura but last time we ordered something it was so horrible, we had to throw both meals away.
    the sauce was clear and gooey, meat tasted horrible and hardly any vegetables in it.
    tried GrEAT twice now and were happy both times. food tasted lovely, delivery was quick and even got free big bottle of coke

Was this recently?

Sounds like something similar to my experience. I'm dying to try grEAT. Everyone's singing it's praises and it's ment to be reasonably priced and good quality.
    Dragon House is by far my favourite Chinese in town recently but I've never tried Peking House I think.. Ho Wong's yes. Where is Peking House?!
    Is it the take away on Pearse Rd?

So many Chinese restaurants :pac:

Has anyone tried out the new one in Quayside called Ko's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

it was in december.

friend of mine recommended GReat to me. she ordered a big family meal and they were all happy with their food.

Yeats Tavern are doing Pizza now(eat in or take away)

In this sundays Irish Independent Magazine there will be a 20% voucher for participating restaurants.

I heard good things about GReat too,but someone told me last night not to go there. Can't remember what he said,I was jarred,but I'll ask,he had a bad experience anyway.

Personally,I really like Sakura. Never tried any of the dishes you tried Lornen but the curry is always lovely.

For anyone who likes the Silver Apple like myself,go into Kate's Kitchen. Silver Apple are supplying pre cooked refridgerated dinners. Had the nicest Basque Style Chicken today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

For anyone who likes the Silver Apple like myself,go into Kate's Kitchen. Silver Apple are supplying pre cooked refridgerated dinners. Had the nicest Basque Style Chicken today.
    :D:D thank you ill be in tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

I dont know if it depends on the person who makes the pizzas in Dominos but yesterday I had a Hawaiian from there and I did not like at all. It used to taste much better. That put me off.

Just had my lunch from Kate's Kitchen for the first time. Spicey tomato, chikpea and pasta soup which was lovely. Also the best brownie I've ever tasted. The brownie and the takeaway soup came to €3.50. Portion could have been bigger but still, Nyom

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

where's this grEAT place? never heard of it before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

wolf99 wrote: »
    where's this grEAT place? never heard of it before

It's on Mail Coach Road, right next door to P Borza.

Truley wrote: »
    Just had my lunch from Kate's Kitchen for the first time. Spicey tomato, chikpea and pasta soup which was lovely. Also the best brownie I've ever tasted. The brownie and the takeaway soup came to €3.50. Portion could have been bigger but still, Nyom

I got a Tomato and Basil Pasta soup some time last year.. I think it was September? I love Kate's Kitchen and everything about the place but the soup was really watery and I got, no joke, 6 pieces of pasta in the whole tub.

Their home made flapjacks are out of this world though. Banana and apricot running through them. I ate atleast one every day for a solid fortnight! :P

My sister also said they do some really nice sandwiches. Never had one as I'm not a big sandwich person but she said they had the perfect amount of every ingredient, which is hard enough to come by now seemingly :P

• Advertisement

Lornen wrote: »
    I got a Tomato and Basil Pasta soup some time last year.. I think it was September? I love Kate's Kitchen and everything about the place but the soup was really watery and I got, no joke, 6 pieces of pasta in the whole tub.

Their home made flapjacks are out of this world though. Banana and apricot running through them. I ate atleast one every day for a solid fortnight! :P

My sister also said they do some really nice sandwiches. Never had one as I'm not a big sandwich person but she said they had the perfect amount of every ingredient, which is hard enough to come by now seemingly :P

I agree the soup is a bit measly alright. Have never tried the sandwiches, I might get one next time to go with my soup!

Advertisement