Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Must say I'm not the biggest Indian fan myself,but the prawn puri for starter and Chicken Curry main is a combination hard beat in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

The Dragon House Cantonese Cuisine has reopened in the Rooftop Restaurant situated in Wine Street Car Park.
    Was there last night for my sister's birthday. Only 4 of us went but we had a smashing time. Service was absolutely brilliant.
    We came in, seated immediately, prawn crackers were whipped out to us along with our menu's and we were given about 8 minutes to order.
    We were also offered extra prawn crackers as we waited for our started to be served!

We got the House Hot Hor D'oeuvre and Shredded Chicken with Chilli Sauce between the lot of us. The platter had 4 sesame prawn toasts, 2 biggish spring rolls, 2 wantons, 2 spare ribs and 2 lovely dips. The 'bbq' one was absolutely delicious. I was on the verge of drinking the stuff when I remembered I was in a public place, not my living room..
    Shredded Chilli Chicken was gorgeous. I'm a huge fan of shredded chilli chicken, and in this town you get something that looks like it may have been chicken in a past life, drenched in this sugary, sticky atomic orange sauce. With this stuff, you could actually tell it was chicken, lightly battered, fried and served with a pleasantly spicy chilli sauce on the side.

For our entreés, My sister and aunt ordered the adventurous as ever sounding 'Fillet Steak Chinese Style' which we were also informed that this was one of the most popular dishes on the menu.
    I thought it was a bit of a cop out, you know.. 'Chinese style' steak in a Chinese restaurant? I passed on the tasting but it did look gorgeous and the other 3 at the tab;e were singing it's praises all night.
    My other aunt ordered the Beef in Sa Tsa Sauce, which is a mixture of chilli and sate sauce. I found it rather fruity and there was a nice kick to it. The beef was so soft and tender and the vegetables still crunchy.
    I ordered the Stir Fried Chicken in Hot Bean Sauce. It was ment to be 'hot and fierce' but, I didn't feel anything fierce on my tongue.
    I'm a bit of a chilli freak so maybe it wasn't Dragon House's fault I wasn't too impressed by it's 'fierceness' but other than the lack of chilli heat, it was absolutely stunning. Tender chicken, crunchy green peppers, an abundance of onions in this delicious sauce.
    Did I mention they cut their carrots into hearts and flower shapes?! They were so adorable!

Sides included chips which were cooked perfectly, the best egg fried rice in town along with bamboo shoots and water chestnuts, which I could imagine to be very difficult to get wrong..

Now for the desserts..

Right when you were thinking I was probably some drone sent on to Boards.ie to promote Dragon House, here's where they absolutely FLOP.

I spent the night salivating over the thoughts of banana fritters and vanilla ice cream, just like the old days when Dragon House was opened in the Market Yard..

But that was nay to happen...

They, instead, have brought in a rather rancid frozen dessert selection.

The much dreaded 'Tart Fantastica' heads the top of the list of doom.
    Mint Chocolate Dream, Irish Warm Apple Pie, the ever exhausted Baileys Cheesecake makes a feature along with the worst take on a dime bar pie I've ever come across..

The rest is a blur.. I can't recall what else was featured, but we did order a Dime bar pie slice, an Apple pie slice and a Mint Chocolate Dream.

The apple pie crust and pastry tasted old and stale. The filling was completely forgettable.

Dime bar pie was horrific. It was just brutal. This thick layer of condensed milk like sludge occupied the bottom layer and what sat on top was ment to be cream I assumed, but I could literally pull it off, squeeze it and set it back down without anyone being able to notice.. It had the consistency of a marshmallow..
    VILE.

The Mint Chocolate Dream was actually not bad. But in saying that I love dark chocolate and mint icecream so there wasn't much they could go wrong with..

I'm not a big drinker but they do have white wine by the glass and I believe the white is a Santa Rita Sauv Blanc but that's all I could tell you.
    I did have a chinese beer by the name of Tsingtao and I did enjoy it.
    Very light.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend Dragon House. Just steer clear of the puds and if you're a wine buff stick to the coke's to avoid insult. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Only spotted Dragon House recently in The Rooftop..

.. superb Chinese.

Will definitely drop in there in the New Year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

I only ate twice in Dragon House when it was over at Temple Street but both times it was yummy! Does anyone know if you can pick off the DH menu during the day or is it only the Rooftop menu, and if so what time does the DH menu kick in?
    Also are they doing deliveries, have a craving for Chinese lately... :D
    Did have a lovely Indian the other night from Paprika on Pearse Road, nice and spicy :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

New place at the top of O Connell Street opposite O2 shop, beside the four lights. You know the building, it's the one with the curved glass doors on the corner where you see everyone sitting down to eat their food from the 4 lights :D
    No idea what food is like, friends went there on NYE to check it out but didn't eat there due to price - most starters €11, mains start from €19 they said.
    Cookery school overhead they say too...

Dine Inn in Quayside is very very nice, much better than it's previous incarnation (The Cornerhouse I think?), owner was on Dragon's Den selling his line of sauces.

Cafe Souperb in Johnson's Court offer chicken, mushroom or veg soup with brown bread or roll for €4.50 sit-in or takeaway, as well as the usual rolls/sandwiches/etc - handy for a lunch on a cold day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

Been to bella vista in strandhill today again. They have the nicest Caesar salad ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Am I really tight, or is €4.50 not a bit much for soup and a roll? Probably costs about 50c to make.

Am I really tight, or is €4.50 not a bit much for soup and a roll? Probably costs about 50c to make.
    No, that's about right to be honest - but it needs to be decent home-made soup!

If you're paying that for glorified Cup-A-Soup, then there's something wrong!

What's worse is paying anymore than €3 for a standard-sized coffee.. you hear me Costa / BB's etc!

Kate's Kitchen make home made soup and sandwiches daily, I'd definitely hand out a few quid for their stuff, but if it's in a Centra or something where you're just getting powdered muck I'd not bother..

Was up in Dublin yesterday in the movies in Dundrum.
    8.50 for some nachos, plastic cheese sauce and a drink made from sludge and tap water.

What garbage. You'd buy a decent cut of meat down the butchers for that.

Right, I'm going into the soup business. Tequila Soup anybody?

• Advertisement

terlywerly wrote: »
    I only ate twice in Dragon House when it was over at Temple Street but both times it was yummy! Does anyone know if you can pick off the DH menu during the day or is it only the Rooftop menu, and if so what time does the DH menu kick in?
    Also are they doing deliveries, have a craving for Chinese lately... :D
    Did have a lovely Indian the other night from Paprika on Pearse Road, nice and spicy :cool:

Sorry for the double posting but I got a menu in the house, I think you can head in and get one any time? Not sure though!
    DH menu kicks in at 6p.m until 11p.m and they don't do deliveries, only sit in and carry out!

Paprika do a pretty tame vindaloo. Got a few with a couple of my friends during the summer and I ate mine as well as clearing the other 2 going around. My ass was still in tact the next morning aswell so that's always a good sign!
    Bit of a chilli fan though so I take no responsibility if anyone else suffers intestinal damage. :)

Lornen wrote: »
    Was up in Dublin yesterday in the movies in Dundrum.
    8.50 for some nachos, plastic cheese sauce and a drink made from sludge and tap water.

What garbage. You'd buy a decent cut of meat down the butchers for that.
    To be fair, cinemas HAVE to charge that to survive.

They made feck all profit from the movies they show..

basquille wrote: »
    To be fair, cinemas HAVE to charge that to survive.

They made feck all profit from the movies they show..

Really? I don't know Basquille, Sligo doesn't charge half that. Not when you look at portion sizes and ticket costs. It was 9 euro's for an adult ticket, during the day and the place was SWARMING with Kiddo's and it always looks jammers when I go in.. Making a fierce whack with all the Ben and Jerry's stalls and sweet counters at kid level..

Anyway back on topic..

I got Roberto's last year and the chips were puke-worthy, my sister got some a few days ago and they were like little wedges of pure gold..
    Home made, unlike the crap I got and full of flavour..

I swore I'd never go back after my horrid ordeal involving a few bags of their chips, a chicken fillet burger and a pizza, but those chips were out of this world tasty!
    Did they buck up their boots or did I catch them on a very very bad day?

Really? I don't know Basquille, Sligo doesn't charge half that. Not when you look at portion sizes and ticket costs. It was 9 euro's for an adult ticket, during the day and the place was SWARMING with Kiddo's and it always looks jammers when I go in.. Making a fierce whack with all the Ben and Jerry's stalls and sweet counters at kid level..
    Believe me.. Sligo ain't that cheap either.

The medium popcorn and drink was up on €5.50 last time I checked.

Although those nachos you got are notoriously bad! :D
    I got Roberto's last year and the chips were puke-worthy, my sister got some a few days ago and they were like little wedges of pure gold..
    Home made, unlike the crap I got and full of flavour..

I swore I'd never go back after my horrid ordeal involving a few bags of their chips, a chicken fillet burger and a pizza, but those chips were out of this world tasty!
    Did they buck up their boots or did I catch them on a very very bad day?
    I'd say you got them on a bad day.. they normally are pretty reliable!

Retried GrEat at the weekend and thought it was much better.. their salted chilli chicken is sublime (quite hot, but a nice sweetness in the salt to counter it).

Retried GrEat at the weekend and thought it was much better.. their salted chilli chicken is sublime (quite hot, but a nice sweetness in the salt to counter it).

Oh God. I am obsessed with finding the perfect shredded chilli chicken. DH shredded chilli chicken doesn't have the 'salted' aspect of the dish though so I don't really know how different the two dishes are?

Is GrEat's shredded chilli chicken a dry dish with a dipping sauce or is the sauce over the chicken?

I'm confusing myself, so I hope you understand this!

And Holy Hell Basquille, I love myself some nacho's, but 8.50 for some? Get bent! I raided Tesco before I went in! Their 33% cocoa solids chocolate bar for 1.05 is so ridiculously tasty it's not natural..

Lornen there is a chinese food chef posting on the Cooking Forum, I'm sure he had a recipe for that shredded chicken.

Lornen there is a chinese food chef posting on the Cooking Forum, I'm sure he had a recipe for that shredded chicken.

Pardon me while I look for this glorious man..

Pardon me while I look for this glorious man..

Sorry I was a bit vague, I tried to link it for you but my Copy/Paste is borked. Posters name is "jassha", thread is called "Chinese Recipes. Ask and you shall receive".

Sorry I was a bit vague, I tried to link it for you but my Copy/Paste is borked. Posters name is "jassha", thread is called "Chinese Recipes. Ask and you shall receive".

No worries Tequila, I sniffed him out and copied and pasted that recipe already! Cheers for the heads up mega :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Would this be the one.

;)

• Advertisement

Oh God. I am obsessed with finding the perfect shredded chilli chicken. DH shredded chilli chicken doesn't have the 'salted' aspect of the dish though so I don't really know how different the two dishes are?

Is GrEat's shredded chilli chicken a dry dish with a dipping sauce or is the sauce over the chicken?
    Nope, it's a dry dish. No sauce perse, just the shredded chicken covered in the chilli salt.

It's absolutely superb!

Give it a try.. it's only €7.30 too so it won't break the bank!

Nope, it's a dry dish. No sauce perse, just the shredded chicken covered in the chilli salt.

It's absolutely superb!

Give it a try.. it's only €7.30 too so it won't break the bank!

Sounds spot on, I love DH but it would be a very occasional dinner from them as they are a tiny bit pricey.. But hey, keep you away from the take aways right?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

No, that's about right to be honest - but it needs to be decent home-made soup!

If you're paying that for glorified Cup-A-Soup, then there's something wrong!

What's worse is paying anymore than €3 for a standard-sized coffee.. you hear me Costa / BB's etc!

Cafe Souperb is definitely home-made, not packet!!! It's a fairly decent size bowl as well...you know the plastic tubs of soup you can get in supermarkets that's billed as "home-made"? It's that size (I got a takeaway one day;)) 2 slices of brown bread not enough for it IMO, I likes bread with all of my soup!:D

Anyone tried Sligo Source yet? Or heard anything?

I heard it was also a cookery school.
    Took a look at the menu and the prices and I don't think some of the food warrants the price tag. Not all, but some.

Homemade gnocchi for 15 euro's?
    That's absolutely mental. I lived in Italy as a child and I remember my best mates Noni sat at a table making about 500 pieces of gnocchi by hand and it didn't cost her near 15 euro to make that amount.

A bit of potato and cheese shouldn't cost that amount of money, no matter how good it is.

I'm all for fine dining but that's a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

Have been in Sligo Source twice, loved it, interesting dishes, fresh food, lots of good tastes and some set menu deals, think they may have added an early-bird.

Otherwise, start and main costs about e20-something-ish and can range to the high side. Haven't been upstairs to the wine bar part yet, but never really got the idea of tapas.

Service was good, but that maybe due to it being pretty empty when I was there

Also the cookery school courses look interesting, though priced for the market they're aimed at, not for a student oik like meself. course types range from how to cook themed dishes, cookery for one or two, how to stock kitchen for X number of people, knife skills, etc.

Don't have any real complaints about the place, apart from the ground floor restaurant is large and open, so it can seem a bit cold early on in the evening, but the heating catches up later in the evening.

EDIT: just read back through the last couple of posts and saw "the plastic cheese" mentioned. nearly puked on my desk.

I'm all for fine dining but that's a mess.

Your quite right, it SHOULDNT cost that much, and despite liking the food there, it is a bit pricey, but a meal at any of the other top places in town will cost you the same or more.

Bistro eat-in is around e20 for a pizza + starter + desert etc
    coach lane was pretty pricey last time I was there (few years ago)
    never been to the silver apple,
    but I think that about wraps it up for the town's nicer spots (that I know of)
    If ya have other spots, please correct me!

You get great bar food in Coach Lane downstairs,good food upstairs too for a bit more.
    Silver Apple is a must try,the food is the best in town(bar Montmarte). And very reasonably priced.

montmarte, is that the place in market yard? was there absolute donkeys years ago and it was lovely think they've re-opened twice since then though.

there and the silver apple are on the top of my to do list so :)

EDIT: Ironically there is now a mcdonalds eurosaver advert playing at the bottom of this thread when I view it!! LOL

• Advertisement

wolf99 wrote: »
    Your quite right, it SHOULDNT cost that much, and despite liking the food there, it is a bit pricey, but a meal at any of the other top places in town will cost you the same or more.

Bistro eat-in is around e20 for a pizza + starter + desert etc
    coach lane was pretty pricey last time I was there (few years ago)
    never been to the silver apple,
    but I think that about wraps it up for the town's nicer spots (that I know of)
    If ya have other spots, please correct me!

I guess it's just the fact I've been in Dublin alot recently and I've been to alot of authentic Italian places up there and they wouldn't charge a fraction of that.
    Maybe it's because it's Irish people cooking Italian food, that they feel the need to give themselves a few brownie points for that fact. :P

I was in a place called Toscana only on Monday and their early bird menu offers a starter, main and drink for 9.95..

I got 2 slices of lovely garlic bread, the most amazing meatballs I've ever tasted (and the main reason I've been there a fistful of times) and a coke for a tenner..

All ACTUAL Italians working there. Excellent quality of food and service.

I just can't get over people charging such a mental sum of money for something that isn't that difficult to make. Italians get their kids to make the stuff with them. Totally fool proof..

Sorry for the rant.I suppose it's not like a trip to Eddie Rockets. Great milkshakes but robbers all the same!

Advertisement