Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Truley wrote: »
    I agree the soup is a bit measly alright. Have never tried the sandwiches, I might get one next time to go with my soup!

Yeah, it seems watered down. I'm sad to say I've actually had cup a soup's thicker than the soup I paid 3.50 for. :/

But their range of goodies are fabulous! Not a fan of those cupcakes that Once Upon A Time have started selling from there though.

My mum's one's are ten times better and I don't have to pay a crazy sum of money for them :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 497 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

I tried the new one in Quayside last month and when we got into the restaurant there was a Chinese lad asleep on the floor beside a half finished meal and stayed asleep for another half an hour.

The waiting staff were brutal and I had to get up and ask them to come and take our order after they left us with menus for 20 mins.

Food was not great and then they sent out a waiter that was no more than 12 years old.

Food was meh too - would not be rushing back

Was chatting to my aunt earlier. She heard that the franchise was liquidated. All of the branches nationwide are closed.

A seedy rumour going around about health and safety shutting the place down, but that's just a rumour as I said.

Wouldn't surprise me, my sister saw a guy with his hand down trou scratching the lads and then threw a few patties into the fryer without washing his hand. Lovely stuff.

I will miss their chicken kiev balls though.. Damn were they good.
    Cheesey curry chips were a bit naughty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Lornen wrote: »
    Was chatting to my aunt earlier. She heard that the franchise was liquidated. All of the branches nationwide are closed.

A seedy rumour going around about health and safety shutting the place down, but that's just a rumour as I said.

Wouldn't surprise me, my sister saw a guy with his hand down trou scratching the lads and then threw a few patties into the fryer without washing his hand. Lovely stuff.

I will miss their chicken kiev balls though.. Damn were they good.
    Cheesey curry chips were a bit naughty too.

The Happy Eater do those chicken kiev balls, or they did the last time I was in. I'd love to know how they came up with the name for that place :o

Good few places are doing a decent early bird menu from 5-7, - Bistro, Fiddlers, Caesars and I'm sure many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I notice the Trade's Club advertising lunches, any bordsies want to give it a try and come back to us with a review? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

Lunches in the Trades Club? WTF?

The Happy Eater do those chicken kiev balls, or they did the last time I was in. I'd love to know how they came up with the name for that place :o

Good few places are doing a decent early bird menu from 5-7, - Bistro, Fiddlers, Caesars and I'm sure many more.

Do they? I've gotten a few times from there and never saw them!

Also, yeah. Happy Eater! The other half said the same thing as there's never a smile to be found in the place :P

Takeaway curry/cheese garlic/cheese chips don't have lids on them and the cheese isn't melted. You should have seen us in the bloody car trying to keep cheese from flying everywhere!
    Had to get home and stick them under the grill :/

Chicken fillet burger is dry as the Sahara too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I love chicken kiev balls. You can get them in Enniskillen 1.50 a bag.

magnumlady wrote: »
    I love chicken kiev balls. You can get them in Enniskillen 1.50 a bag.

You can get them in that place in Cleveragh retail park. Food Source?

It's not Abbey foods. It's around the corner from them.

They do them in a kg bag :) I just don't have the freezer room for them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

Is it the Food Centre? http://www.thefoodcentre.co/
    They are part of Abbey Foods. It was a great idea opening that shop, everytime I go there, they have some good offers. And if you need something thats not in the shop, just ask and and they get it from the warehouse.
    Great service!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

They do them in a kg bag :) I just don't have the freezer room for them :pac:
    the food centre is abby foods;) the door at the end of the shop take you into the warehouse

the food centre is abby foods;) the door at the end of the shop take you into the warehouse

Oh my bad :o
    I heard someone say this to me but when I was in the food centre first, they were this tiny little room and not attached.
    Have they made it bigger?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

Oh my bad :o
    I heard someone say this to me but when I was in the food centre first, they were this tiny little room and not attached.
    Have they made it bigger?

they made it bigger just before xmas, its about twice the size it was when it first opened.

i was driving by borza today and its all shut and the window front is covered up. it looks like its gonna open up under new name, cant remember what it was though

Di Nardi's is the new name of P.Borza.
    White writing on a blue background complete with Italian flags!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 emmahs

Any recomendations for early birds in Sligo going there this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Di Nardi's is the new name of P.Borza.
    White writing on a blue background complete with Italian flags!
    It opened on Monday.. went past last night and not a sinner in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

@Basq : but do they still do battered mars bars??

@emmahs : I know the bistro bianconi were doing an early bird menu about a month back...

wolf99 wrote: »
    @Basq : but do they still do battered mars bars??
    Ha.. wasn't in there but sure it's a staple of Italian food.. right.. RIGHT?! :D

Basq wrote: »
    It opened on Monday.. went past last night and not a sinner in there.

It was open from 10a.m! I was in town and drove past at around half past and the open sign was on..

I'd say it's EXACTLY the same as Borza. Same staff and everything.

My money's on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

emmahs wrote: »
    Any recomendations for early birds in Sligo going there this weekend

A lot of the restaurants only have an early bird menu during the week, they tend not to have them at the weekend. Any place doing one will have a sign up outside so just take a wee stroll around. Most are based on O'Connell St and around Rockwood Parade. Oh, and they are from 5-7 usually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

Was this recently?

Sounds like something similar to my experience. I'm dying to try grEAT. Everyone's singing it's praises and it's ment to be reasonably priced and good quality.
    Dragon House is by far my favourite Chinese in town recently but I've never tried Peking House I think.. Ho Wong's yes. Where is Peking House?!
    Is it the take away on Pearse Rd?

So many Chinese restaurants :pac:

Has anyone tried out the new one in Quayside called Ko's?

Hi there have to say I tried GReat the other night and it was horrendous!
    Girl on phone when asked about a dish replied "I don't know I am only handed a brown paper bag". So much for their menu stating that they will try to accommodate any requests - this was certainly not an option. The meat in both chicken and beef dishes was tough and rubbery. Delivery slow despite being in the town. Will NOT be trying this place again. I'll stick with my usual chineses i.e. any otheR cause this place is a disgrace.

Silver33 wrote: »
    Hi there have to say I tried GReat the other night and it was horrendous!
    Girl on phone when asked about a dish replied "I don't know I am only handed a brown paper bag". So much for their menu stating that they will try to accommodate any requests - this was certainly not an option. The meat in both chicken and beef dishes was tough and rubbery. Delivery slow despite being in the town. Will NOT be trying this place again. I'll stick with my usual chineses i.e. any otheR cause this place is a disgrace.

Wow, what a completely different review of the place. Everyone's been praising GReat on here and have tried it multiple times.
    TheKBizzle had a review of Ko's last week:
    TheKBizzle wrote: »
    I tried the new one in Quayside last month and when we got into the restaurant there was a Chinese lad asleep on the floor beside a half finished meal and stayed asleep for another half an hour.

The waiting staff were brutal and I had to get up and ask them to come and take our order after they left us with menus for 20 mins.

Food was not great and then they sent out a waiter that was no more than 12 years old.

Food was meh too - would not be rushing back

My friend's also tried it and weren't impressed with it. Not sure I'll be chancing it myself after hearing the following reviews!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

@ Lornen; I have never tried GrEat myself but I know someone that has tried it and wasn't overly impressed. They said the chicken was a bit rubbery and not of great quality, a bit like what Silver33 says.

However Basq seems to think it gets better the more he tries it.

There is no harm trying it for yourself so you have your own opinion and I'm sure you will give us a detailed review on how it was:P

bobcar61 wrote: »
    @ Lornen; I have never tried GrEat myself but I know someone that has tried it and wasn't overly impressed. They said the chicken was a bit rubbery and not of great quality, a bit like what Silver33 says.

However Basq seems to think it gets better the more he tries it.

There is no harm trying it for yourself so you have your own opinion and I'm sure you will give us a detailed review on how it was:P
    Both times I've reviewed grEat, I have said the overcooked meat is their downfall!

Some of their dishes are great (no pun intended), but their meat does indeed let them down each and every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Went to Mandarin Court for the first time the other night. While there was nothing wrong with their food(had a curry), I don't see how they can justify the price difference compared to other Chinese restaurants. Although in saying that, they've been on the go years so they're obviously getting away with the high prices.

Wont be back again anyway. What do others think of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

thebuzz wrote: »
    Went to Mandarin Court for the first time the other night. While there was nothing wrong with their food(had a curry), I don't see how they can justify the price difference compared to other Chinese restaurants. Although in saying that, they've been on the go years so they're obviously getting away with the high prices.

Wont be back again anyway. What do others think of it?

probaly the nicest chinese i have ever eaten in ireland,it is a bit more expensive alright but you pay for what you get.i wouldnt be too keen either geting a curry out of a chinese though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Was in the Silver Apple the other night. It's by far the best restaurant in town,maybe bar Montmarte,but much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

anyone in conrads kitchen yet read some good reviews on tripadvisor??

Has anyone tried Trá Bán out in Strandhill?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

anyone in conrads kitchen yet read some good reviews on tripadvisor??
    The parents were there a few times,said the food's very good.
    Has anyone tried Trá Bán out in Strandhill?

I've been a few times and was nice. Last twice we went it had gone downhill. Steak was sent back twice last time and still was muck,haven't been back since.

Advertisement