Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

basquille wrote: »
    As I've mentioned before, Centra do a Mexican Cheese Toastie.

It's a normal cheese toastie.. with salsa!

Now if that isn't Mexican, I don't know what is! :D

:D That's the funniest thing I've heard in ages. Ya gotta love Centra, they do it with such style!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Lornen wrote: »
    Why doesn't Sligo have a Mexican restaurant?

It must be the only city in Ireland that doesn't have one and it's shameful.

Please, no one even dare mention Abra Kebabra's hilarious Mexican menu either, I will cry.

There's none in Limerick, I can't even find someplace that does tapas. Plenty of very nice regular restaurants but nothing out of the ordinary.
    Sligo's restaurant selection is fairly good by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

There's none in Limerick, I can't even find someplace that does tapas. Plenty of very nice regular restaurants but nothing out of the ordinary.
    Sligo's restaurant selection is fairly good by comparison.

Well, thanks for letting me know about Limerick's lack of Mexican restaurants.
    Sligo is full of Chinese, Indians and chippers. I don't think I'm being unreasonable when stating I'd like to see a Mexican in the "city" centre..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Had a nice lunch in Cafe Society yesterday afternoon. Had prawn pakoras with popadoms and chili dip, they were lovely. My friend had a big plate of sausage egg and chips for €5. Simple, unpretentious and not too expensive food, I think I will go there more often. I had been there once before years ago and didn't come back after getting a very slow (and rude!) service.

So I'm giving you one more chance Cafe Society *shakes fist* :p

Well, thanks for letting me know about Limerick's lack of Mexican restaurants.
    Sligo is full of Chinese, Indians and chippers. I don't think I'm being unreasonable when stating I'd like to see a Mexican in the "city" centre..

Wow, sorry! I was just trying to make a comparison. I agree, it'd be great to have a bit more selection, but essentially Sligo's just a big town with lots of good (if samey) restaurants. I'm not sure how well a Mexican would fare in town.

I'd be mad interested to see a place that served African cusine- that'd be different and there's a big enough African community that you'd hope would support it.

• Advertisement

Truley wrote: »
    Had a nice lunch in Cafe Society yesterday afternoon. Had prawn pakoras with popadoms and chili dip, they were lovely. My friend had a big plate of sausage egg and chips for €5. Simple, unpretentious and not too expensive food, I think I will go there more often. I had been there once before years ago and didn't come back after getting a very slow (and rude!) service.

So I'm giving you one more chance Cafe Society *shakes fist* :p

Think they do a great milkshake and it's not too pricey if you want something reasonably simple. Think Maud's can get a bit excessive in the milkshake department. And you have to go over the top there, because if you don't you're no where near getting your money's worth!

Wow, sorry! I was just trying to make a comparison. I agree, it'd be great to have a bit more selection, but essentially Sligo's just a big town with lots of good (if samey) restaurants. I'm not sure how well a Mexican would fare in town.

I'd be mad interested to see a place that served African cusine- that'd be different and there's a big enough African community that you'd hope would support it.

Sorry if I came across as a bit snappy, I wasn't trying to be. :)
    African cuisine sounds very interesting, I think if they got a Caribbean place in, even better. Not trying to sound rude or arrogant, but I know that whenever I think of "Africa" I think of "Trocaire" and then I think of "no food". Blaming RTE for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,844 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I was in Cafe Society once. Was very quiet in there, and was left waiting ages for a burger.. and when I got, it was still cold and uncooked in the center.

Nah, never went back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Bella Vista in Strandhill run theme nights every now and again. Had a great Mexican night there in November (complete with plenty of Margaritas) and a Tapas night before Christmas. I'm sure if the demand is there, they'd run them more regularly or add to the menu.

I was in Cafe Society once. Was very quiet in there, and was left waiting ages for a burger.. and when I got, it was still cold and uncooked in the center.

Nah, never went back!

Undercooked a burger?! Yikes. Did you send it back? How did they deal with your complaint if you did?

I was in there and my other half got a Chicken korma or a tikka, can't remember now but it was fluorescent yellow.. A little heavy on the food dye or turmeric, I was unsure. It was just over the top creamy and not enough spice.. I can't even recall what I had but I always try and stay away from places that do a very broad range of different styles.. Like they have burgers, curries, full irish breakfasts, pasta's?

Very reasonably priced though.

• Advertisement

Plazaman wrote: »
    Bella Vista in Strandhill run theme nights every now and again. Had a great Mexican night there in November (complete with plenty of Margaritas) and a Tapas night before Christmas. I'm sure if the demand is there, they'd run them more regularly or add to the menu.

Belle Vista do absolutely stunning pizza's. I never knew they did themed nights. Sounds good! But what if you just fancied a Mexican without all the bells and tassels? :/

Sorry if I came across as a bit snappy, I wasn't trying to be. :)
    African cuisine sounds very interesting, I think if they got a Caribbean place in, even better. Not trying to sound rude or arrogant, but I know that whenever I think of "Africa" I think of "Trocaire" and then I think of "no food". Blaming RTE for that!

S'ok :D

I LOL'd at the Trocaire connection. I used to work with a lot of African doctors, mostly Nigerian and Sudanese. Often when we did nights we'd bring our own food in and I sampled some of their yum cooking.

A Carribean restaurant.... mmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

It's called GrEat..
    It's called GReat.

S'ok :D

I LOL'd at the Trocaire connection. I used to work with a lot of African doctors, mostly Nigerian and Sudanese. Often when we did nights we'd bring our own food in and I sampled some of their yum cooking.

A Carribean restaurant.... mmmmmmmmmm

I mean Africa is the second largest continent in the world and boasts well over 50 countries, surely there is some quality cuisine to be found. But I do think thanks to all those bloody Trocaire adverts being played around dinner time, it does give the people of Ireland the impression that the whole bloody CONTINENT is deprived of just about everything!!

Caribbean food.. Oh God. Jerk chicken and some rice and beans done properly, on hand daily?

I'd actually die.

From choking on all the food I crammed into my mouth!

Undercooked a burger?! Yikes. Did you send it back? How did they deal with your complaint if you did?

I was in there and my other half got a Chicken korma or a tikka, can't remember now but it was fluorescent yellow.. A little heavy on the food dye or turmeric, I was unsure. It was just over the top creamy and not enough spice.. I can't even recall what I had but I always try and stay away from places that do a very broad range of different styles.. Like they have burgers, curries, full irish breakfasts, pasta's?

Very reasonably priced though.

I would usually feel the same but I've actually always enjoyed the food I got from there. It's the service part that seems to let them down.

Truley wrote: »
    I would usually feel the same but I've actually always enjoyed the food I got from there. It's the service part that seems to let them down.

That's odd, I've always gotten my food pretty fast. It was just the food that was a bit off.. Maybe they've got new staff since I've been though.

Oh and while we're over that direction? Has anyone tried the little Creperie that's up the way from pure, down a little alley?

Just saw the sign a few weeks ago. Never been in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Yes I've tried the Creperie. It was fine, although I thought it was expensive considering they are pancakes. Quite slow service as well.

magnumlady wrote: »
    Yes I've tried the Creperie. It was fine, although I thought it was expensive considering they are pancakes. Quite slow service as well.

Hmmm, I think it's a bit ricidulous, the prices some crepes can stretch to, but how are there prices compared to Maud's?

I don't know how anyone can slap a bit of Nutella on a pancake and charge over 5 quid for it, but they manage! :P

I can't remember off hand how much it cost. I know I paid around 17 euro for 3 pancakes and 2 drinks.
    I think Mauds is the most expensive place going. Useless service too.

I can't remember off hand how much it cost. I know I paid around 17 euro for 3 pancakes and 2 drinks.
    I think Mauds is the most expensive place going. Useless service too.

Yikes, can't believe that! My other half spent the summer in Tenerife and she said the size of the crepes she got over there were unholy and they cost something like 3.50 for a ham and cheese one!

Thought we should go check out that Creperie but I think I'll just be buying a bag of flour and giving them a go at home!

Did you get anything that warranted that price tag or were the crepes the standard sugar and lemon if you don't mind me asking?

I will also agree on the service at Maud's.
    I was in and asked what the soup of the day was and I was told "Tomato" which is the only soup I like when I'm not making it myself.

I got a bowl of very chunky Minestrone Soup instead.. When I told the waitress that wasn't Tomato soup one of the chef's shouted over "IT'S GOT BLOODY TOMATOES IN IT!!"

Along with pasta, onions, carrots and celery....

Then my toastie was slapped together to show me just how irritated the chef preparing it was..

• Advertisement

It was nice enough. One of the crepes was ham and cheese. The others were sugar and lemon. The savoury one had a bit of salad with it. I haven't been back since though.

I got a takeaway nutella crepe there for 2.50 which I don't think was too bad, it was big enough for me anyway. Was cooked up nice and fast too.

Girlfriend went past Borza on Mail Coach Road and it was closed - said there's a sign on the door that says "Closed until further notice".

Never like seeing that - anyone have any ideas why they're closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Chez Phillipe is it? The sweet crepes are a total rip off, the savory ones are expensive but tasty. I'd go rarely but I've had good customer service whenever I've been over the past 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Girlfriend went past Borza on Mail Coach Road and it was closed - said there's a sign on the door that says "Closed until further notice".

Never like seeing that - anyone have any ideas why they're closed?

Can't say I did,shall find out tomorrow.
    Got a Sakura tonight.
    Chicken curry with chips and noodles.hmmmmm.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Got a Sakura tonight.
    Chicken curry with chips and noodles.hmmmmm.
    Got a menu for them in the door.. thought their take-away prices have gotten quite steep. €9 average for a dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

It's well worth it I think. The amount of chicken in it was huge.

Chez Phillipe is it? The sweet crepes are a total rip off, the savory ones are expensive but tasty. I'd go rarely but I've had good customer service whenever I've been over the past 3 years.

Yes that's the one. It was very busy when we were there so that's why we were waiting so long. The tea was finished by the time we got the crepes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Yes that's the one. It was very busy when we were there so that's why we were waiting so long. The tea was finished by the time we got the crepes.

I've never been in when its been busy thankfully. As for your comments on Mauds, they're always looking for new staff in there, not a good sign on behalf of the management.

• Advertisement

Bagel Bar is always looking a bit empty. Not surprising considering none of the staff know how to LISTEN to customers.

They never cut the panini's to go and when you ask them they act like you've just told them you've slaughtered their family.
    Massive SIGHS when you ask them to leave out certain ingredients and alot of the staff aren't Irish so they talk over you in their language. A bit discouraging..

Also, a friend got one of those ridiculously over priced pastries and the cream in the middle of one was still frozen solid..

Not even fresh and they were atleast twice the price of anything out of O'Hehirs.. Mental..

Good bagels though, when they feel up to making something decent.

Advertisement