Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian Seal Hunters Killed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

NPWS are announcing a cull on Grey seals all round the Irish coast for the month of July 08. €20 for every seal ear posted to the customs house before the 10th of August 08. It is not permitted to shoot the seals with Rifle or shotgun. Stunnguns only are permitted and the seal must be finished off with the traditional seal club. Hurleys and baseball bats are prohibited. Permits available at all post offices from July 1st. All carcases must be delivered to designated collection centers shown on permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Thats horrible

But necessary.

True!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Feck ya, i knew the likes of you would see through it. I was hoping to catch the seal egg guy again:)

Yeah, that guy should have his own show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

NPWS are announcing a cull on Grey seals all round the Irish coast for the month of July 08. €20 for every seal ear posted to the customs house before the 10th of August 08. It is not permitted to shoot the seals with Rifle or shotgun. Stunnguns only are permitted and the seal must be finished off with the traditional seal club. Hurleys and baseball bats are prohibited. Permits available at all post offices from July 1st. All carcases must be delivered to designated collection centers shown on permits.

where did you hear about that? can't find anything on their website. anyone know if this happened last year?! :mad: I thought grey seals were supposed to be protected.....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

kerrysgold wrote: »
    where did you hear about that? can't find anything on their website. anyone know if this happened last year?! :mad: I thought grey seals were supposed to be protected.....?

and they're leaving the door open for fraud as well. Kill one seal, send in the ears at different times and collect 2x 20€

Check the date, Folks!!:D You might just feel like a fool!;)

Ah Laura come on:D Just cos they've made you a moderator no need to go mad.:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Check the date, Folks!!:D You might just feel like a fool!;)
    No clubbing? :(

Ah Laura come on:D Just cos they've made you a moderator no need to go mad.:D;)

But I'm cringing looking at peoples posts!! Its like watching The Office!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

LOL :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I approve entirely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

I just want to defend PETA here. They go to extremes to get their point across, I've just been sent a horrifying video of black bears in Canada being lured to food so they can be shot and killed for their fur in order to make those ridiculous looking pieces of crap that sit on top of the Queens' Guards' heads! And all the while the hunters are laughing and enjoying torturing those poor defenceless animals.

And with regards to the seals, no I don't wish death upon five men, but at the same time, I don't wish death upon the seals. No one mourns them when they are beaten and killed, without any hope of defending themselves.

This thread was begun in order to report the death of seal hunters, but will those who are so eager to beat down those who feel happy for the seals just look at the bigger picture here? I've been sent so many emails about those seals and it's heartbreaking to think that such a thing could be done, whether it's for survival or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I agree that PETA can be a bit crazy at times, but their basics are correct, that animals aren't here for our use/entertainment etc. although I'm not going to give up having my pets because a) I'm sure they don't mind being loved and pampered and not having to fend for themselves and b) if they were to be "released" they'd last about 5 seconds!

These poor little seals have even less chance of defending themselves, at least other animals that are hunted have a chance of getting away, but these little things are basically defenceless, pretty much immobile little blobs! I wouldn't even call it hunting since it is completely unfair.

I agree that PETA can be a bit crazy at times, but their basics are correct, that animals aren't here for our use/entertainment etc. although I'm not going to give up having my pets because a) I'm sure they don't mind being loved and pampered and not having to fend for themselves and b) if they were to be "released" they'd last about 5 seconds!

These poor little seals have even less chance of defending themselves, at least other animals that are hunted have a chance of getting away, but these little things are basically defenceless, pretty much immobile little blobs! I wouldn't even call it hunting since it is completely unfair.

Like shootin fish in a barrel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    And with regards to the seals, no I don't wish death upon five men, but at the same time, I don't wish death upon the seals. No one mourns them when they are beaten and killed, without any hope of defending themselves.
    How can you say that? You know people mourn them?? Hence all the uproar over the hunt?
    Lorrs33 wrote: »
    I
    This thread was begun in order to report the death of seal hunters, but will those who are so eager to beat down those who feel happy for the seals just look at the bigger picture here?
    Look at the bigger pic? Do you think the people who came on here and said such things as "I hope they died a slow cold death" and spouted on about karma were looking at the bigger pic? Do you think they were right? Or, like me, do you feel that people who say things like that just give people who are genuinely involved in animal welfare a bad name. Surely, no matter what, we shouldn't celebrate the death of another being, be they human or animal?

Compltly agree however I do think it's unfair on parents with young kids the way thy get their message across sometimes. I remember many times walking away from that building on the corner of o'connell bridge crying, at about 6 or 7 years of age. I don't think thats right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Peta - We love animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

How can you say that? You know people mourn them?? Hence all the uproar over the hunt?

Look at the bigger pic? Do you think the people who came on here and said such things as "I hope they died a slow cold death" and spouted on about karma were looking at the bigger pic? Do you think they were right? Or, like me, do you feel that people who say things like that just give people who are genuinely involved in animal welfare a bad name. Surely, no matter what, we shouldn't celebrate the death of another being, be they human or animal?

Eh, if you actually read my post, you'd see that I didn't justify anybody celebrating the death of human beings. I just want people to be aware of what's happening and stop picking at those who are defending animals.

• Advertisement

on PETA:
    Policy on euthanasia
    PETA is against the no kill movement and euthanizes the majority of animals that are given to them.[73][74] It recommends euthanasia for certain breeds of animals, such as pit bull terriers,[75] and in certain situations for unwanted animals in shelters: for example, for those living for long periods in cramped cages.[76][77] Ingrid Newkirk has said: "Our service is to provide a peaceful and painless death to animals who no one wants."[78] PETA recommends the use of an intravenous injection of sodium pentobarbital provided it is administered by a trained professional.[77]

source:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PETA

and just in case you didn't read the quote properly, I'll highlight one bit again:

It recommends euthanasia for certain breeds of animals, such as pit bull terriers

Sanctimonious, double standarded, publicity hungry BASTARDS ..that's what they are.

I know you didn't say that - but you did say
    but will those who are so eager to beat down those who feel happy for the seals just look at the bigger picture here?
    feel happy for the seals? I'm sorry but people saying they are happy those men died are wrong. Now I know you didn't say it, but you are trying to defend the people who did.

peasant wrote: »
    on PETA:

source:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PETA

and just in case you didn't read the quote properly, I'll highlight one bit again:

It recommends euthanasia for certain breeds of animals, such as pit bull terriers

Sanctimonious, double standarded, publicity hungry BASTARDS ..that's what they are.

The majority of the work they do is good and no one here on this site will ever do more for animals then peta do so I think pointing out the few bad things (IMO) that they do is a bit petty. In the long run they save a lot of animals and I would love to know the reasoning behind why they support this. Although I would never support the killing of a healthy dog unless they were too vicious to be re-homed or disturbed from abuse.

The majority of the work they do is good and no one here on this site will ever do more for animals then peta do so I think pointing out the few bad things (IMO) that they do is a bit petty.
    Peta are a huge organisation. TBH laura I think you should research some of the people who frequent this forum. There are at least two I can think of off the top of my head who single handedly do amazing work for animals. Of course they wont do more then peta, but then again, they are singular people. People who really care don't need scare tactics to motivate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I know, makes no sense at all. Seal eggs are such a delicacy, they could make a fortune!!!
    I wonder if this guy have any seals eggs in his collection. :)http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/lincolnshire/7324397.stm

I must say i love the 1st of April. I had such a laugh today, thanks to all that participated, especially Kerrysgold:D.

Peta are a huge organisation. TBH laura I think you should research some of the people who frequent this forum. There are at least two I can think of off the top of my head who single handedly do amazing work for animals. Of course they wont do more then peta, but then again, they are singular people. People who really care don't need scare tactics to motivate them.

Of course there are lots of people on this site who do lots of brilliant an really good work for animals. I didn't say that they didn't. I would just like to know the reasoning behind why PETA believe this about pitbulls before I make my final opinion on this particular subject. Is that not a fair statement?

Laura

it's not just Pitbulls
    During the years 2004 and 2005, PETA took in 20258 animals, of which 15438 were reclaimed by their owner. 4224 were euthanized, while 507 were adopted.

and then, on the other hand:
    Revenue $25 million in 2005

Something's not quite right there !

peasant wrote: »
    Laura

it's not just Pitbulls

But what is the reason they give for putting these animals to sleep? I'm sure if they could prevent it, they would.

• Advertisement

But what is the reason they give for putting these animals to sleep? I'm sure if they could prevent it, they would.

No ...read my first quote again
    PETA is against the no kill movement

Advertisement