Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian Seal Hunters Killed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 siouxie sue

Excuse me, i look after many cats and raise money for the animal welfare. I run in marathons and do street collections. So feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Originally Posted by Halfdog
    If these guys wanted to cull seals in a more humane manner they should find out where they breed and remove their eggs before they hatch. Nothing worse than seeing live baby seals being hacked to death.

God bless you man.

That post has made my day.

Seal eggs ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

Excuse me, i look after many cats and raise money for the animal welfare. I run in marathons and do street collections. So feck off.
    Big difference between having pets and wildlife conservation love:rolleyes:. If you want to look after wildlife stop your cats from killing it. You are killing our native wildlife with your cats, I hope this doesn't turn you on yourself.:):rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 maryoshea

So lives were lost, they will be forgotten about next thread. As for the wildlife thing i have a fox and a hedgehog.

maryoshea wrote: »
    So lives were lost, they will be forgotten about next thread. As for the wildlife thing i have a fox and a hedgehog.

Lucky you!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Sory to spam good discussion, but i hope you will allow me this one exemption...

53648.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭rosyposy

Raise away, I commend u for it. But authority and enforcement should never be put in your hands.

'So feck off'

Good to see the debating language and respect for others is improving too, good stuff:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 maryoshea

I have no respect for people who don't respect animals, too many selfish people in this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

If you want to look after wildlife stop your cats from killing it. You are killing our native wildlife with your cats
    Oi Mr Ranger, I have many times agreed with things you say but please don't tar all cat owners with the same brush. :)

Is this going to turn into yet another hunting v's anti hunting thread?

Is it safe to say that most people here don't have a problem with peopl being anti seal hunting, but do have issues with people celebrating the death of those men?

maryoshea wrote: »
    I have no respect for people who don't respect animals, too many selfish people in this world.

I think most people feel that way, everybody here is an animal lover. Doesn't mean people should be happy about 5 people dying......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

And for those that saw animals moving as they were being dragged back to the boat.

I didn't know they could make noises too when they were dead! Hence why the man carrying it dropped it again and gave it another few whacks. The last few whacks just must have been for the fun if you are so sure it was the seals nervous system reacting. I tried to find this footage on the sky news website but it was from the first day and I don't think its still up.
    Hi Laura, I'm not trying to be condecending, you are very passionate about animals and you stand by your principles well. But for god sake please learn a little about the natural world and how it works, it is a fascinating subject and i'm sure you would benefit from it. It is a shame to see somebody so passionate about animals being blinded from the bigger picture by cute faces.

Not condescending at all telling me what you're sure of what I would benefit from!
    Are you trying to say that I only believe that cute animals should not be slaughtered? I would really like you to elaborate on your last post, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Can someone tell me what's wrong with hunting a species that's present in abundant numbers in the area where the hunt takes place ? I can't see no reason why these seals can't be hunted at all. Especially not because seals are an age old resource and have been one of the foundation blocks of the inuit diet and life style. Seals to those lads is what cattle and pigs is to us, the only difference being that we have to farm our protein, leather, cosmetic raw materials etc etc...Are we for example going to condemn let's say people in rural Finland and Canada who nearly all shoot an elk for the freezer every year as well ? Elk are quite magnificent as well you know.

Another point I want to make is this : how do you think the Canadians manage to have seals AND salmon ?

As for method, I suppose improvements can always be made but I'm fairly convinced that the clubbing when done properly is a quick death. For heaven's sake folks, what do you think your grandda's and their fathers before them used to kill the pig but a sturdy hammer and crack on the head ?
    Even modern slaughtering techniques are based on the age old concept of a stunning blow to the head.

Firearms probably aren't suitable for this type of hunting. For starters it wouldn't be a good idea firing high velocity rifle rounds at a target a few feet in front of you on a hard surface and low powered low velocity calibers don't provide for a clean quick kill in the case of a seal sized animal.

The only firearm alternative would be shotguns but these are too destructive from a short distance and would lead to a pile up of useless carcasses on the ice which in my opinion would be a pointless waste.

Now for my own moment of irrationality :
    as for people who represent the animal rights taliban in here who actually wish a painfull death to the Canadian seal hunters and all other hunters ( that includes me by the way as well, I hunt with rifle and shotgun so thanks for your good wishes ) rest assured that you're in good company. One of the biggest beasts in history, human that is, didn't eat animal products either although his hordes were wearing plenty of black leather though.

For another matter : please make no mistake. I love animals. I can stand mesmerised watching hares "dancing" and "boxing" in spring. I enjoy seeing a raptor hunting. I get a chill hearing red deer clashing during the rut. I adore the sight of a hen pheasant herding her chicks through a ditch but I also know that when the time comes one of those chicks is going to be a lovely cock pheasant I'm going to enjoy hunting and eating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I think most people feel that way, everybody here is an animal lover. Doesn't mean people should be happy about 5 people dying......

5 people dying is a terrible tragedy yes but those same people thought nothing of battering poor defenceless baby seals to death .So the thinking is '' it's ok to do the latter as they are creatures without feelings unlike us humans who have '' . I dont buy that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I bet these guys were well equipped for bludgering these defenseless creatures to death. At the same time were they sufficiently equipped for their own safety, I.E. Did these guys have their life jackets and survival suits on, were they travelling in a fleet as would be recommended in such treacherous sea conditions.

latchyco wrote: »
    5 people dying is a terrible tragedy yes but those same people thought nothing of battering poor defenceless baby seals to death .So the thinking is '' it's ok to do the latter as they are creatures without feelings unlike us humans who have '' . I dont buy that .

Don't put words into my mouth. The frustration I am feeling at the moment is such that I feel like crying. Seriously. latchyco, please please dont waste my time be posting such crap. All you're doing is making yourself look stupid. I disagree with the seal hunt, I disagree with people thinking it is good that these men died. I have said that a few times. Least you could do before quoting me is be sure of my opinion on the topic.

Don't put words into my mouth.

?
    The frustration I am feeling at the moment is such that I feel like crying. Seriously. latchyco, please please dont waste my time be posting such crap.

I have better things to do than waste your or anybodys time but i do share your sentiments

All you're doing is making yourself look stupid. I disagree with the seal hunt, I disagree with people thinking it is good that these men died. I have said that a few times. Least you could do before quoting me is be sure of my opinion on the topic.

I agree with you about those men dying .I wasn't justifying their deaths and actually sharing your opinions . Misunderstanding perhaps ?

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said you're making yourself sound stupid, was out of order, but I am so frustrated with this thread. It seems to be going around in circles.

Helena, I think Latchyco is agreeing with you.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said you're making yourself sound stupid, was out of order, but I am so frustrated with this thread. It seems to be going around in circles.

I think people are trying to wind us up now.

Helena, I think Latchyco is agreeing with you.

i am Helena and sorry if it seemed otherwise .

It does happen and were ..... you/i only human :)

• Advertisement

I didn't know they could make noises too when they were dead! Hence why the man carrying it dropped it again and gave it another few whacks. The last few whacks just must have been for the fun if you are so sure it was the seals nervous system reacting. I tried to find this footage on the sky news website but it was from the first day and I don't think its still up.

Not condescending at all telling me what you're sure of what I would benefit from!
    Are you trying to say that I only believe that cute animals should not be slaughtered? I would really like you to elaborate on your last post, please.

Lauradon'tgomad:). Didn't see the video you referred to, no doubt it is possible for a hunter to mess up on ocassion and if caught on video you can be sure that is the one the world will be shown .

The bigger picture i refer to is biodiversity and the conservation of species and not individual cute animals like a harp seal or a stray cat or dog. For example by not eating meat you will save a few animals in your life time. But by eating meat from renewable sources such as venision that needs culling anyway to keep ecological balance creates a market for it and ensures that the cull is reached. In the bigger scheme of things there are far more species in need of our attention than harp seals. But because the media can easily get pictures and it has a helpless appearance, it sells papers and air time. The media control the people for profit. Lets look beyond what the media are feeding us and start in our own backyards and protect our own native species. The Barn Owl is rapidly disappearing from our landscape due to haitat loss and rodenticides for example.
    That for me is the bigger picture when it comes to being an animal lover. Knowing that nature is cruel, gruesome and tough and accepting that we are an integral part of it, we are part of the ecosystem, we just need to manage it sustainably.

Oi Mr Ranger, I have many times agreed with things you say but please don't tar all cat owners with the same brush. :)

Is this going to turn into yet another hunting v's anti hunting thread?

Is it safe to say that most people here don't have a problem with peopl being anti seal hunting, but do have issues with people celebrating the death of those men?

We'll have to agree to disagree Helena, I'm usually on your wave length also:) but i have no time for cats. I don't have any problem with people that have them and keep them well. Just get them spayed/neutered and don't allow them to make the bird table their dinner table.:);)

Lauradon'tgomad:). Didn't see the video you referred to, no doubt it is possible for a hunter to mess up on ocassion and if caught on video you can be sure that is the one the world will be shown.
    This happening once is one time too many IMO. No Tom, Dick or Harry should be allowed to go out and cull if this is such a necessity. The people culling should be trained so that this doesn't even happen once.
    The bigger picture i refer to is biodiversity and the conservation of species and not individual cute animals like a harp seal or a stray cat or dog. For example by not eating meat you will save a few animals in your life time. But by eating meat from renewable sources such as venision that needs culling anyway to keep ecological balance creates a market for it and ensures that the cull is reached. In the bigger scheme of things there are far more species in need of our attention than harp seals. But because the media can easily get pictures and it has a helpless appearance, it sells papers and air time. The media control the people for profit. Lets look beyond what the media are feeding us and start in our own backyards and protect our own native species. The Barn Owl is rapidly disappearing from our landscape due to haitat loss and rodenticides for example.
    That for me is the bigger picture when it comes to being an animal lover. Knowing that nature is cruel, gruesome and tough and accepting that we are an integral part of it, we are part of the ecosystem, we just need to manage it sustainably.
    The vast majority of people in every country on this earth don't manage the eco system properly. Maybe when we do, then maybe we can decide who should be culled and when.
    Also, i know the plight of the barn owl and regularly raise funds for the Irish Peat land conservation.
    The media are not telling us about the plight of the peat lands here but I know about that so don't just assume I'm jumping on a band wagon for a hobby or to kill fifteen minutes on the internet, ya big assumer!!

We'll have to agree to disagree Helena, I'm usually on your wave length also:) but i have no time for cats. I don't have any problem with people that have them and keep them well. Just get them spayed/neutered and don't allow them to make the bird table their dinner table.:);)
    I notice a lot of people don't. I know many many people who dislike cats and by the end of a few hours in the house with mine change their opinion (or perhaps I look suitably upset when they insult my spayed/neutered and contained babies) :) Off topic though. LOL as we speak my cat hating fiance is busy feeding my lil girl cheese from his sambo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Off topic though. LOL as we speak my cat hating fiance is busy feeding my lil girl cheese from his sambo.

Aww... lil willow!!! :)

Sorry... I'll run back to my dog now! ;)

I notice a lot of people don't. I know many many people who dislike cats and by the end of a few hours in the house with mine change their opinion (or perhaps I look suitably upset when they insult my spayed/neutered and contained babies) :) Off topic though. LOL as we speak my cat hating fiance is busy feeding my lil girl cheese from his sambo.

I have been known to rub a cats head when nobody is looking:);)
    This happening once is one time too many IMO. No Tom, Dick or Harry should be allowed to go out and cull if this is such a necessity. The people culling should be trained so that this doesn't even happen once.

The vast majority of people in every country on this earth don't manage the eco system properly. Maybe when we do, then maybe we can decide who should be culled and when.
    Also, i know the plight of the barn owl and regularly raise funds for the Irish Peat land conservation.
    The media are not telling us about the plight of the peat lands here but I know about that so don't just assume I'm jumping on a band wagon for a hobby or to kill fifteen minutes on the internet, ya big assumer!!

Tom, Dick and Harry are only human and we have to accept that animals will need to be killed by humans. If we don't do it ourselves and decide to leave it to Tom, Dick and Harry then the most we can hope for is that they do the best they humanly can. Training reduces mistakes it doesn't eliminate them. It's alot better than the death a polar bear or any other predator will deliver after all.

Ok i am a big assumer, but your still a veggie:);) Fair play to you for your peatlands conservation. Would love to see how the media would get the public all emotional about saving bogs.:)

I have been known to rub a cats head when nobody is looking:);)

Tom, Dick and Harry are only human and we have to accept that animals will need to be killed by humans. If we don't do it ourselves and decide to leave it to Tom, Dick and Harry then the most we can hope for is that they do the best they humanly can. Training reduces mistakes it doesn't eliminate them. It's alot better than the death a polar bear or any other predator will deliver after all.

Ok i am a big assumer, but your still a veggie:);) Fair play to you for your peatlands conservation. Would love to see how the media would get the public all emotional about saving bogs.:)

Only if they could make some money out of it. the same way anything gets in the paper.

Are we all just too blind to see that hunting, conservation and indeed reasonable animal welfare issues go hand in hand ? Because at the end of the day a responsible hunter and a genuine conservationist have the same need : a good habitat with a healthy diverse fauna.

The subject of deer NoName touched upon would be a prime example. Ireland provides a great habitat for them but there's too many causing agricultural damage, their numbers are too high to be sustainable in a good few areas . Ok : solutions ? Fencing ? Fine you say. Short term maybe yes but long term is a different story. The only thing you achieve is cutting deer of from their food supply causing them to roam or starve. My solution : hunt them in a responsible way with a proper rifle so you reduce the numbers to a sustainble level and in the meantime you harvest the meat of an animal that couldn't have lived a better life until it entered the foodchain. The only difference being it died a quick death and feeds you instead of the scavangers and maggots it was going to feed eventually.

The idea that animals should not be hunted under any circumstances is just as stupid as the idiot going out with a gun or a trap and killing animals indiscriminatly not caring one bit about biodiversity or sustainibility.

I understand where you're coming from, Steve but I don't think they are ours to kill in the first place and I don't think anyone will ever be able to change my mind on that one. Just like I don't think anyone would be able to change yours.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, wouldn't be the first time I agree to disagree. But you do see the point as well that bar our difference in opinion on the humans' position in the foodchain we have the same goals when it comes to conservation and sustainability which can't be said about a fair few raving loonies on both sides of the argument. And whether the discussions is about Canadian seals or Irish rabbits is only circumstancial as far as I can see.

Advertisement