Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian Seal Hunters Killed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Firstly to use karma as an excuse to feel happy about the death of anybody is, frankly, insulting. Karma is part of a spiritual belief and is based on you repenting for what you do, not dying "a cold slow death" and even if your twisted version of karma is true - what did those mens wives and children do to deserve the "karma" of loosing a family member and having insensitive feckers all over the world gloating about it?

As for peta - I don't think you'll find many people have a lot of respect for their tactics. Enough said about that.

I cannot believe how people can claim to love ANYTHING and gloat over the death of someone. I am disgusted at some posts here and I really hope you never experience something like it.

I feel very sorry for the families of these men but not so much for the men themselves. I'm just saying the bad weather this time of year and this accident will probably make some people think twice about going on the hunt next year.

Whats wrong with peta? I think they do great work and although they might use shock tactics, what charities don't? Trocaire have the swolen bellied starving children on their ads with the sad music, telling you how brilliant it will feel to give 7 euros a week to help feed a starving child.
    Peta inform people about the plight of animals all over the world and even though some of their articles and undercover videos are graphic and disturbing, they are just showing people what happens.

Some people are for people, some people are for animals some people are for both. Just because some people love animals it doesn't mean they have the same compassion for people.
    i know people who do loads of charity work for people but wouldn't give a sh*t if a dog got killed on front of them. Are you going to say they don't care about people because they don't care about animals?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Burnt Toast

Those feckers got what they deserved, i hope they had a slow cold death! :mad:

Mod edit: Insult deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Whats wrong with peta? I think they do great work and although they might use shock tactics, what charities don't? Trocaire have the swolen bellied starving children on their ads with the sad music, telling you how brilliant it will feel to give 7 euros a week to help feed a starving child.
    Peta inform people about the plight of animals all over the world and even though some of their articles and undercover videos are graphic and disturbing, they are just showing people what happens.
    I think petas information should be shared, but in an appropiate way. Some of the things they show are too disturbing to be released to the general public, never mind plastered all over the place. If some of the things they show on busy streets, there for kids and all to see, were shown on TV without a graphic warning, there would be uproar, and rightly so. Organisations like ANVIL who are looking for legal rights for animals do a better job in my opinion.

Some people are for people, some people are for animals some people are for both. Just because some people love animals it doesn't mean they have the same compassion for people.
    what has been said here by some posters is not simply a lack of compassion, it is an all out gloating about the death of people. Gloating - I am glad they are dead - that not lack of compassion.
    i know people who do loads of charity work for people but wouldn't give a sh*t if a dog got killed on front of them. Are you going to say they don't care about people because they don't care about animals?:rolleyes:
    If they gloated over it and said things like - I hope that dog had a slow painful death - or spouted on about how it's karma etc then yes I would think they are sick people. Woudn't you? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

There are several points people need to look at here.

-The seal they were culling were not endangered, if they were there would be no culling by the canadian govt.

-As said above, the 'cuteness' of an animal should not decide if it's bad to kill them, i'm sure most of you have killed a spider, fly, mouse or rat in your time..

-Again, as said above, we kill animals everyday - I bet the chickens in battery farms wish they were slaughtered.

-People need to grow up, Men/husbands/brothers/fathers were killed just trying to make a living. I'm sure they dont endanger their life for the fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

These guys took on a high risk job that got very well rewarded. They, their families and relatives knew what was instore in regard to the dangers of this occupation just like those that go long lining or deep sea crab fishing. Unfortunitally nature caught up on them and they paid the price.

• Advertisement

I think petas information should be shared, but in an appropiate way. Some of the things they show are too disturbing to be released to the general public, never mind plastered all over the place. If some of the things they show on busy streets, there for kids and all to see, were shown on TV without a graphic warning, there would be uproar, and rightly so. Organisations like ANVIL who are looking for legal rights for animals do a better job in my opinion.

I do think anvil do an excellent job aswell but I think peta get through to more people then anvil do.

what has been said here by some posters is not simply a lack of compassion, it is an all out gloating about the death of people. Gloating - I am glad they are dead - that not lack of compassion.

You have to understand how sick this practice makes some people feel. I actually felt sick all week over this hunt. Anytime it would pop into my head that it was happening or I saw an article, I felt so sad that as a clever species we can be so cruel and heartless. People say crazy things out of anger and surely you can understand that. There must be something that gets on your wick enough for you to say something like this. For me it would be the people who skin cats and dogs alive for fur. I wouldn't trust myself to be in the same room with them.

If they gloated over it and said things like - I hope that dog had a slow painful death - or spouted on about how it's karma etc then yes I would think they are sick people. Woudn't you? :confused:

An animal does not have a conscience like people do so its not the same comparison. People could feel that way if an animal actually killed kids on purpose or peoples pets. Animals kill to eat and because its their nature, not for sport.These men knowingly went out to kill baby seals by smashing their heads in with sharp sticks.

There was a warning given out about the weather in Newfoundland about the extreme weather this year that was ignored by most of the hunters until this accident happened.

An animal does not have a conscience like people do so its not the same comparison. People could feel that way if an animal actually killed kids on purpose or peoples pets. Animals kill to eat and because its their nature, not for sport.These men knowingly went out to kill baby seals by smashing their heads in with sharp sticks.
    Laura, I'm sorry but what you said (quoted) bears very little relevance to what I was talking about? I said that its for sport, I said I disagree with it and I also said that if people were to laugh and be happy over a dog being kicked to death - in the way some posters here have been about those men, then I would think they were sick people. I didn't mention the conscience of animals v's humans once. You don't have to agree with seal culling to disagree with how people are reacting to the death of these men.

There are many things that make me angry. However, I would never say that I am glad someone has died. Never. I don't think there is any excuse to wish death on someone.

Laura, I'm sorry but what you said (quoted) bears no relevance to what I was talking about? I said that its for sport, I said I disagree and I also said that if people were to laugh and be happy over an dog being kicked to death - in the way some posters here have been about those men, then I would think they were sick people. I didn't mention the conscience of animals v's humans once. You don't have to agree with seal culling to disagree with how people are reacting to the death of these men. I have seen posts from you here so I know you are not just trying to just come up with things to argue about. Did you misread?

There are many things that make me angry. However, I would never say that I am glad someone has died. Never. I don't think there is any excuse to wish death on someone.

I'm saying it would be foolish for a person to wish death upon an animal due to something they have done as an animal will not do something out of cruelty or badness. (As people sometimes do.) I probably should have phrased that better.

I feel extremely sorry for the families of these men but under no circumstances will I lose any sleep over the deaths of them. Although I wouldn't wish death upon them, I can understand how some people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Demonique wrote: »
    It was on the news, the vessel they were in capsized

My condolences to the families. A tragic loss of human life.

I'm saying it would be foolish for a person to wish death upon an animal due to something they have done as an animal will not do something out of cruelty or badness. (As people sometimes do.) I probably should have phrased that better.

I feel extremely sorry for the families of these men but under no circumstances will I lose any sleep over the deaths of them. Although I wouldn't wish death upon them, I can understand how some people do.
    I see what you mean - but then I think it's foolish to wish death on someone - not for them, but for the families they left behind. It's hard enough to loose a family member without half the world being glad about it. I feel the same way about not loosing sleep over the men, but then again, did you loose sleep over those 5 people killed in a plane crash in Englad, or any of the other deaths in the world this weekend? I hate to say I didn't, in fact I was more upset about the seals to be honest. But to see people saying such cruel things is sickening to me. And not at all necessary.

• Advertisement

I see what you mean - but then I think it's foolish to wish death on someone - not for them, but for the families they left behind. It's hard enough to loose a family member without half the world being glad about it. I feel the same way about not loosing sleep over the men, but then again, did you loose sleep over those 5 people killed in a plane crash in Englad, or any of the other deaths in the world this weekend? I hate to say I didn't, in fact I was more upset about the seals to be honest. But to see people saying such cruel things is sickening to me. And not at all necessary.

When I heard about that plane crash, I did think to myself "God help those poor people!" I definitely felt sorry for them. Not so much for the hunters though. I hate to hear of anyone dying but when it comes to people who could be so cruel, I wouldn't waste my energy. I don't mean to sound callous but there are plenty more people in the world who deserve sympathy more than those men IMO.
    The only way I could kill an animal would be to protect my own or to put one out of its misery if it was injured and both of those situations would probably have me a massive therapy bill afterwards, :D

When I heard about that plane crash, I did think to myself "God help those poor people!" I definitely felt sorry for them. Not so much for the hunters though. I hate to hear of anyone dying but when it comes to people who could be so cruel, I wouldn't waste my energy. I don't mean to sound callous but there are plenty more people in the world who deserve sympathy more than those men IMO.
    The only way I could kill an animal would be to protect my own or to put one out of its misery if it was injured and both of those situations would probably have me a massive therapy bill afterwards, :D

I think there is really only a small difference in how we're thinking. Definately people who deserve more sympathy - and I'm one of the people who wont get too upset about their deaths - it's the people who are glad about it that annoy me.

As for the therapy - I can relate to that! But thats a seperate story. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭rosyposy

kerrysgold wrote: »
    They have no respect for animals, they have no qualms at all about murdering a defenceless baby, so no, I'd personally be quite happy if they all dropped dead, although that's a bit too humane to be good payback for what they've done. same applies to anyone else that has been cruel to animals or killed an animal in my book. (obviously vets are an exception if they pts an animal to stop it suffering)

I appreciate passion, it gets things done. But by talking like this you have done nothing to better your cause. Half the battle is to earn respect and integrity, so that people will actually listen to what you have to say.

You have shown here you have no idea how to put yourself across in a professional and sound manner. You would be completely struck from a debate if u spoke like this, if u want to seriously protect the welfare of animals, maturity is needed....big time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Halfdog

If these guys wanted to cull seals in a more humane manner they should find out where they breed and remove their eggs before they hatch. Nothing worse than seeing live baby seals being hacked to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Halfdog wrote: »
    If these guys wanted to cull seals in a more humane manner they should find out where they breed and remove their eggs before they hatch. Nothing worse than seeing live baby seals being hacked to death.
    Seal eggs?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Seal eggs?
    Purple unicorns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 siouxie sue

Burnt Toast i'm not a retard! I'm not physically or mentally disabled! You could be offending people who actually have handicapped family members. A retard i'm not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

breed and remove their eggs before they hatch.

LOL

anyone who suggests that these people deserved to die need to re-evaluate themselves. Karma? grow up.

Burnt Toast i'm not a retard! I'm not physically or mentally disabled! You could be offending people who actually have handicapped family members. A retard i'm not.

I wouln't call you a retard but what you said really beggers belief. I don't want to argue with anyone but i would like to know how people end up with the mentality that these people deserve to die. You said you hoped they suffered while they died. Can you not see the hypocrisy in your argument? It's quite shocking really that people who proclaim to love animals also rejoice in the death of some sailors. Can you not see how hypocritical that is? I would love to know what happened in peoples lifes to make them feel this way. Bizzare and quite sad in all honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I am absolutely disgusted by anyone that suggests that their death is some how deserved

Your opinion is both hypocritical and maladjusted.
    I personally dont like to see anyanimal killed unnecessarly but most people here that decide to have an opinion on this subject dont have the full facts of the situation, and dont have to live in the area these people do, so its east to make a judgment.

Your attitude is Absolutelty disgusting and you should frankley be ashamed of yourselves.

Im not going to post in this thread again because my faith in common sence and credible intelligence within humanity is fast diminshing.

• Advertisement

Thats my opinion and they can find sympathy in the dictionary between **** and syphilis ;)

I know, makes no sense at all. Seal eggs are such a delicacy, they could make a fortune!!!

They could paint them brown package them and sell them off as Easter Eggs, woop's Easters gone and they have missed the boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

I only post on this forum when it turns into a discussion about wildlife really. It always amazes me what people come out with here. Saying these people deserved to die is simply nuts!! Anybody that says as much is closer to the animal kingdom than they think.:eek::rolleyes:

Did anybody check out the seal hunting link i posted by any chance or were ye too busy being vengeful and angry at these poor men trying to survive in that barren landscape. Those that say it is a sport are seriously mistaken, it's survival! It's their way of harvesting from the land/sea. It is alot more sustainable that our farming practices and more humane also. It just looks bloody and gruesome because it's not done in the confines of a factory. And for those that saw animals moving as they were being dragged back to the boat. That is a reaction from the nervous system as the body shuts down and is very common with head trauma in most animals. It can be seen when chickens have their heads chopped off also. The animals are most definately dead!

Read this, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_hunting
    Then come back and make an informed arguement.
    LMAO!!!!!Seriously, you have got to be kidding, seal eggs?!:eek: Next time you feel compelled to comment on something take a second and google it at least and stop talking about things you obviously know absolutely nothing about.

Hi Laura, I'm not trying to be condecending, you are very passionate about animals and you stand by your principles well. But for god sake please learn a little about the natural world and how it works, it is a fascinating subject and i'm sure you would benefit from it. It is a shame to see somebody so passionate about animals being blinded from the bigger picture by cute faces.
    kerrysgold wrote: »
    They have no respect for animals, they have no qualms at all about murdering a defenceless baby, so no, I'd personally be quite happy if they all dropped dead, although that's a bit too humane to be good payback for what they've done. same applies to anyone else that has been cruel to animals or killed an animal in my book. (obviously vets are an exception if they pts an animal to stop it suffering)

You have alot to learn. :rolleyes:
    Those feckers got what they deserved, i hope they had a slow cold death! :mad:
    Your just plain evil, people like you should be locked up!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

With a little genetic engineering those seal eggs could hatch into tiny fur boots and parkas ... they could raise them and sell them to their fellow Eskimos and no seal would have to die ever again !

whatever :rolleyes: I'll sleep better at night anyway. If i ever saw a person hurting an animal then i would be locked up.

then i would be locked up.

tbh sounds like you should be already

peasant wrote: »
    With a little genetic engineering those seal eggs could hatch into tiny fur boots and parkas ... they could raise them and sell them to their fellow Eskimos and no seal would have to die ever again !
    Maybe they could be genetic engineered to hatch out into inflatible life rafts :D:D:D

Look get back to the title of this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭rosyposy

whatever :rolleyes: I'll sleep better at night anyway. If i ever saw a person hurting an animal then i would be locked up.

and that is exactly the reason why u are of absolutely no real use to the animals suffering cruelty:rolleyes:....emotions get you nowhere with it

Advertisement