Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian Seal Hunters Killed

Options
  • 30-03-2008 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭

It was on the news, the vessel they were in capsized

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Some people say an eye for an eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Hopefuly it might make people think twice about going on the hunt next year.
    Some of the footage was so disturbing! Poor little seals! The seals are supposed to be dead before entering the boat but Sky News showed footage yesterday of a seal still moving and trying to get away as two men were carrying them up the gang plank.
    If they really need to cull them that badly, I don't understand why they can't do it a tad more humanely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Demonique wrote: »

I'm rarely in the forum but this is kinda lazy imo, you could provided a link and not a one line commentary.
    I've done it for you :)

They were being towed by the Coast Guard which means it's very hard to see what the crew did wrong. It's a marine accident, nothing more or nothing less, it couldn't have been predicted.
    They are sailors and being helped by the Coast Guard and you think they should have thought twice about this? In theory, they would be in saftest situation possible with the Coast Guard right next to them.

They were on their way back to port and not on their way to the hunt.
    In fact, they never even made it to the seals but golden reckons some people think they deserve to drown in freezing water? :confused:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23454725-38198,00.html
    The annual Canadian seal hunt has been marred by a boat accident in the ice-covered Gulf of St Lawrence that killed three of the boat's crew and left another missing.

Of the six people aboard the Acadien, "three deceased members of the crew were recovered from the water'' north of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, a spokesman for the Canadian coast guard said.

"The fourth member remains missing,'' while two other men were rescued by a nearby fishing vessel, he said.

The 12m trawler carrying seal hunters from the Magdalen islands capsized before dawn on Saturday (Canadian time) off Canada's east coast, fisheries department spokesman Michel Plamondon said.

The boat flipped over while it was being towed back to port by the coast guard after encountering steering problems, according to local television reports.

The boat was on its way to the seal herds when it lost a rudder, prompting an SOS appeal to the coast guard.

An investigation of the accident was to be launched by Canada's transport ministry, which said the Acadien had passed inspection at the beginning of the week.

The last such tragedy to hit the Magdalen islands, an isolated archipelago in Quebec province with some 15,000 inhabitants in winter, was in 1990 when a boat overturned during the fishing season, killing eight people.

Canada's annual harvest of harp seals kicked off on Friday, with several boats setting off from this tiny town for the seal herds.

Mr Plamondon said the close-knit sealers were devastated by news of the accident.

"Yesterday, there were 16 boats (that set off on the sea hunt), but today, because of the accident, most of them have decided to return to the Magdalen islands,'' he said.

Only three or four boats remained at sea to pursue the hunt, with weather conditions expected to remain treacherous for the next two days, he said.

Several boats have been caught in ice up to 70cm thick on the gulf this year, and the seal hunt started slowly on Friday as a result.

One vessel was forced to return to port Friday after being slammed by huge chunks of ice.

Hunters routinely face shifting ice, high winds, freezing temperatures and unpredictable seas during the controversial sea hunt, which is often protested by animal rights groups.

Canada set the limit for this year's harvest at 275,000 harp seals, 5000 more than the previous year.

Some 800 seals were killed on Friday, Mr Plamondon said.

micmclo wrote: »
    They were on their way back to port and not on their way to the hunt.
    In fact, they never even made it to the seals but golden reckons some people think they deserve to drown in freezing water? :confused:

Just because they didn't get there doesn't mean they weren't going to slaughter a load of seals. I feel very sorry for the families of these men but find it hard to feel sorry for the men themselves as I think people who can do such horrific things to an animal are messed up in the head and need help. They would have clubbed many seals if they had have gotten there. I'm not trying to offend anyone but thats how I feel about the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Canadian seal killers and Japenese whale/dolphin killers .I hate them :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Thats a sad accident. To be honest if seals looked like rats there wouldn't be all this fuss about them. Rat poison would be a much worse death.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

Some of the footage was so disturbing! Poor little seals! The seals are supposed to be dead before entering the boat but Sky News showed footage yesterday of a seal still moving and trying to get away as two men were carrying them up the gang plank.
    If they really need to cull them that badly, I don't understand why they can't do it a tad more humanely.

I have to agree, why go out of their way to cull these animals with brute force when there are so many more options available???

I am quite surprised this is still legal... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

d-redser wrote: »
    I have to agree, why go out of their way to cull these animals with brute force when there are so many more options available???

I am quite surprised this is still legal... :mad:

What are all these options they have? These people are from very remote areas and depend on these culls for a living, who are we to judge them and their way of life. We slaughter cattle, sheep, pigs and chickens everyday of the week and nobody bats an eyelid, animals are reared in far from ideal conditions. How would Irish farmers feel if they were being picked on in this way and told they had to stop farming cattle because another culture consider them sacred. They are hunting and harvesting this animal in a sustainable way, it's not being threatened with extinction from these culls, in my opinion this has far less impact on the environment than any of our farming methods.

As for anybody that thinks those men got what they deserved, do you feel the same way about your local farmer and butcher? Thats a very sick view!:(

People should at least understand what its all about and make a considered view and not simply believe the propaganda that we are fed by the media.
    For anybody interested in reading about it here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_hunting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

It is really the way that the harp seals are bludgened to death as opposed to be shot. The lifestyle of the inuits are changing ie they are using snowmobiles to get to a to b and not sledges so the way of life is changing in someways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

golden wrote: »
    It is really the way that the harp seals are bludgened to death as opposed to be shot. The lifestyle of the inuits are changing ie they are using snowmobiles to get to a to b and not sledges so the way of life is changing in someways.

Yeah and we're all driving around in 4x4's on motorways and city streets instead of the horses and carts we used to use. Apparently the hakapiks deliver as swift a death as abbatoir conditions when used correctly, it looks gruesome alright, but by law they have to continue swinging until the skull is completely crushed. Guns may look less dramatic but don't always gurantee as swift a kill, a second swing will come alot quicker than a second shot from a bolt action rifle if it was needed. And i guess there is a risk to the hunters of ricochet bullets from the hard ice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Karma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭rosyposy

kerrysgold wrote: »
    Karma.

karma as regards what? bullets ricocheting off the ice?

so what exactly is your argument?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In my opinion, anyone that calls themselves an "animal lover" and at the same time gloats at the death of fellow humans has their head not screwed on quite right.

You either have respect all life (even that of fellow humans you don't like) or none at all.

Weighting one life over the other is just hypocrisy (and makes your so called "love" for animals very hard to believe).

My condolences to the surviving families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

golden wrote: »
    It is really the way that the harp seals are bludgened to death as opposed to be shot.

Have you ever seen how we slaughter our animals?..

I worked in a slaughter house for two years killing sheep and cattle, and let me tell you the conditions were far from ideal for the animals being killed.

Ever see a sheep being killed here.

We hung them up by their hind legs, gave it a quick electrical shock and slit its throat and it bled to death. But guys said that the sheep could sense its faith before entering the slaughter house. So the next time your chomping into some nice lamb chops, well ;)

So don't gloat at the deaths of these guys.

Now, having said that. I think the killing of whales of seals is barbaric, but it would be extremly arrogant of me to tell these people to cease with their livihood because times are changing!.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Demonique wrote: »

was it capsized? Are you sure the seals didn't tip it over?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

photo_128.jpg
    dun dun...
    dun dun...
    dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun da ah daaaah

ahem.
    i doubt it overheal. ;)
    the seals made me cover it is them it issss oh shi.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Lmao :D ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Duncan1519

Good !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

The reason they don't shoot the seals is because it would ruin the fur.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Duncan1519 wrote: »
    Good !
    :facepalm:

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote: »
    Have you ever seen how we slaughter our animals?..

I worked in a slaughter house for two years killing sheep and cattle, and let me tell you the conditions were far from ideal for the animals being killed.

Ever see a sheep being killed here.

We hung them up by their hind legs, gave it a quick electrical shock and slit its throat and it bled to death. But guys said that the sheep could sense its faith before entering the slaughter house. So the next time your chomping into some nice lamb chops, well ;)

So don't gloat at the deaths of these guys.

Now, having said that. I think the killing of whales of seals is barbaric, but it would be extremly arrogant of me to tell these people to cease with their livihood because times are changing!.

I don't eat anything with a face or a mammy so I won't be tucking into any lamb chops. Most animals in the western world aren't farmed, they are processed. The reason that animals have such a crappy standard of life is because people are too cheap to pay a decent price for meat which is mainly the likes of the big supermarkets faults! As an animal lover(I'm assuming you are as you are in this forum), are you not tormented by the animals that you slaughtered? Although I must admit I have more respect for meat eaters who can actually kill what they eat then the ones that ignore the whole process of where meat comes from and pretend burgers grow in a packet on the beef tree!!
    One of the problems I have with the seal cull is that they are so defenseless and although clubbing if correctly performed is quick (although not quick enough IMO), the majority of the footage I saw in the last few days had seals still moving while being carried on the clubs and this was after up to 5 blows. I know the media are probably showing the most gorey footage but the fact remains that it is not guaranteed to be painless and I think it is unacceptable to kill any animal in such a way. Imagine all the tears and snots if it happened to someones dog? We wouldn't hear the end of it for years! As far as I'm concerned a dog and a seal and a person for that matter probably feel the same amount of fear and pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

are you not tormented by the animals that you slaughtered? .

Nope.

I hunt too, although I'll admit that in the last few year's I have questioned why I continue to hunt, in fact recently I've considered selling my firearms as I now feel uncomfortable killing animals.

But I'm a meat eater, I love the stuff. So what I kill I eat and I kill it to eat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

peasant wrote: »
    In my opinion, anyone that calls themselves an "animal lover" and at the same time gloats at the death of fellow humans has their head not screwed on quite right.

You either have respect all life (even that of fellow humans you don't like) or none at all.

Weighting one life over the other is just hypocrisy (and makes your so called "love" for animals very hard to believe).

My condolences to the surviving families.

They have no respect for animals, they have no qualms at all about murdering a defenceless baby, so no, I'd personally be quite happy if they all dropped dead, although that's a bit too humane to be good payback for what they've done. same applies to anyone else that has been cruel to animals or killed an animal in my book. (obviously vets are an exception if they pts an animal to stop it suffering)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

kerrysgold wrote: »
    I'd personally be quite happy if they all dropped dead, ..... same applies to anyone else that has been cruel to animals or killed an animal in my book.

I really admire your passion but that is a bit niave tbh. What about rats? Would you happily have them live in your house? Magpies who are a very real threat to smaller species of Irish birds? What about rabbits who were riddled with mixo and spreading it to other, healthy rabbits? Sometimes it is necessary in the real world to handle these things with death. I personally couldn't do it, but I have respect for the people who do it humanely and for the right reasons.

That being said, I agree that the seal cull is disgusting. I understand that some of it is rooted in tradition and is part of the inuit culture - but are they all inuits? Nope, some people do it for the sport. And how on earth can a bullet wound to the head do more damage than blow after blow? I fully understand the need to cull some animals, I just think it could be done in a more humane way.

I feel for the families of those men. Nobody deserves to loose their father, brother,son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 siouxie sue

Those feckers got what they deserved, i hope they had a slow cold death! :mad:

Mairt wrote: »
    Nope.

I hunt too, although I'll admit that in the last few year's I have questioned why I continue to hunt, in fact recently I've considered selling my firearms as I now feel uncomfortable killing animals.

But I'm a meat eater, I love the stuff. So what I kill I eat and I kill it to eat it.

Do you have any pets? What would you do if someone shot one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Firstly to use karma as an excuse to feel happy about the death of anybody is, frankly, insulting. Karma is part of a spiritual belief and is based on you repenting for what you do, not dying "a cold slow death" and even if your twisted version of karma is true - what did those mens wives and children do to deserve the "karma" of loosing a family member and having insensitive feckers all over the world gloating about it?

As for peta - I don't think you'll find many people have a lot of respect for their tactics. Enough said about that.

I cannot believe how people can claim to love ANYTHING and gloat over the death of someone. I am disgusted at some posts here and I really hope you never experience something like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

I have the families of these poor men in my thoughts, it must be a hard enough time for them without people implying that their sons/fathers/partners got no less than they deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

It's difficult to feel pity for fur-farmers, same as when a joyrider wraps himself around a lamp-post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I have to say that I disagree with the way they kill the baby seals, but I'm surprised at how many people seem to think it's ok for these people to die, and in saying that, I'm not saying I agree with the killing of baby seals because I don't agree with it.

Advertisement