Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AJTD

Gasia wrote: »
    I think you are right.Thank you very much.

Another pic of that corner here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/srfamilyhistory/7233089564/sizes/o/in/photostream/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gasia

Wonderful picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Apologies if this was posted before. I don't recall seeing it in the thread. Gardiner St. and environs in 1979.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9VMzdHaxcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Who can give me info about what you see here?
    What is church?

8257382378_86520f9a22_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Gasia wrote: »
    Who can give me info about what you see here?
    What is church?

8257382378_86520f9a22_b.jpg

St. Bart's in Ballsbridge?

Nope. I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,252 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

233201.jpg
    Moore Street c.1930

233202.jpg
    Moore Street c.2009

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I would give my right nut to be able to stroll down 1930's Moore Street, the places looked amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 AJTD

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I would give my right nut to be able to stroll down 1930's Moore Street, the places looked amazing!

The funny part about that is that I would bet none of the people in the 1930's would've given their right or any other nut to walk down Moore Street..This really means
    a) We should all appreciate the city we live in and the wonderful historical buildings that remain and
    b) We should protect the remaining city so that people 80 years from now don't have to wish they could see it!

<climbs down off soapbox>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

233201.jpg
    Moore Street c.1930

233202.jpg
    Moore Street c.2009

Howd it turn into such a kip !? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭highdef

bb1234567 wrote: »

If the modern pic had been taken form the same angle as the old pic and if it was also in B&W, it would probably actually be a lot nicer

• Site Banned Posts: 6 The Peoples Champion

bb1234567 wrote: »

Look at the rubbish on the footpaths, the footpaths are probably cleaner now than they were back then. The street probably smelled as bad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Look at the rubbish on the footpaths, the footpaths are probably cleaner now than they were back then. The street probably smelled as bad too.

There were no litter laws, no litter bins and people were not educated to the dangers of being unhygienic. Shopkeepers generally swept and washed the pavement ouside of their premises, but not all did.

• Site Banned Posts: 6 The Peoples Champion

Rashers wrote: »
    There were no litter laws, no litter bins and people were not educated to the dangers of being unhygienic. Shopkeepers generally swept and washed the pavement ouside of their premises, but not all did.

Rashers, what does the term "scobe/skobe" mean? I know it's someone from Dublin but it seems to have died out with the '90s. Has something to do with inner-city Northside Dubs, because I remember a load of them moved out to my area when the Celtic Tiger kicked-off and I heard them being called scobes, I think.

My memory is very foggy because I was only about 7 or 8 years old back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

BowWow wrote: »

I think it's the Baggot St end of Lr Pembroke St - taken from where Louis Copelands is now.

I have searched for a picture taken from this angle for years. I worked in FINEOS which is now located on the very left of this picture and always wondered what was torn down to make way for that building

Thank you so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Just seen this on Facebook, Here's what it says about he photo: 'College Green in the snow, featuring King Billy. The King William of Orange statue on College Green was eventually removed in 1929, following an explosion in the early hours of Armistice Day that year, but was one of the most vandalised monuments in Dublin prior to that.'

58597_10151215816991693_1052835198_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

great photo kilbarrack being built in 1964

Kilbarrack-july-1964-150x150.jpg

there is a much larger version with legend here http://kilbarrackstory.ie/history/ariel-view-of-kilbarrack-july-1964/

this is footage of the builder of the estate jim kenny building the kilbarrack bungelows in 1951, great bit at the end of him on his mini bull dozers photos and videos from john kenny his son via kilbarrackstory.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

MintyDoris wrote: »
    I have searched for a picture taken from this angle for years. I worked in FINEOS which is now located on the very left of this picture and always wondered what was torn down to make way for that building

Thank you so much!

Fineos isn't on the left of that photo, it's the opposite side of the road. The photographer would have been right outside Fineos with his/her back to it. All of those buildings are now pretty much the same as in the picture.

The small white building on the far left is a medical centre, Flanagans is now Paperman, JJ Higgins and the building to the left of it is Matt The Threshers Pub, Pembroke Stores is Louis Copeland.

The railing on the very left of the photo would be Hunters Estate Agents beside Fineos, interesting that the pathway in front of Fineos is dipped probably for car access? I wonder was there a building there at all? Would be interesting to find out :)

Further Edit: Seems difficult to find out what was there. A street directory from 1862 shows 8-10 were divided up so buildings must have been knocked for the Fineos building
    http://www.libraryireland.com/Dublin-Street-Directory-1862/126.php

8 Clarke, Mrs. 25l.
    9 Doyle, Laurence, coal factor, 28l.
    ,, Murphy, Patrick M. Q.C. chairman
    of Quarter Sessions, county Cavan
    � Rogers, Mrs. dressmaker
    ,, Brady, James, coach proprietor
    10 Bolger, Patrick, grocer and spirit
    warehouse, 38l.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I was out for a walk at Castletown House near Celbridge, there was a photo exhibition on so I had a look at it, the photographer's name was familiar, Hugh Doran, I then realised this was a man I worked with but never realised he was an ardent amateur photographer. Here's a few of his images:
    Heuston Station,
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWyG--LKtQgiWNAz7UhwNcSwz9MVuUMaPXxmM931xVvlYnhzbeew

John's Lane,
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPwt1BET0RV40ndDx9z5zuvnO4yCL_qYYPYTOm9_ueYZ6ONIelmg

Watling Street,
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSlY5DLi30L5ClS_UM2EtJMRBetfHZwEG4dbacJ3FTGNfM2yKtdQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Christ the King Church Cabra early 1930s

537295_521435504557411_153506726_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

There was a fantastic documentary on TG4 with some great archive footage of Dublin (and its transport). Sorry it's so late, took ages to find the thread!

EDIT: The program is called Bealach na mBusanna (OS)
    And here's a link to it on the TG4 player Bealach na mBusanna i mBaile Bealach na mBusanna Átha Cliath
    There's also Bealach na mBusanna i gContae na Gaillimhe and Bealach na mBusanna i gContae Chorcai agus i gContae Chiarrai, enjoy!

It is what it's.

oneweb wrote: »
    There was a fantastic documentary on TG4 with some great archive footage of Dublin (and its transport). Sorry it's so late, took ages to find the thread!

EDIT: The program is called Bealach na mBusanna (OS)
    And here's a link to it on the TG4 player Bealach na mBusanna i mBaile Bealach na mBusanna Átha Cliath
    There's also Bealach na mBusanna i gContae na Gaillimhe and Bealach na mBusanna i gContae Chorcai agus i gContae Chiarrai, enjoy!

Glad you posted this. I really wanted to post it. I was going to try and swipe some screen grabs. There was so much great footage in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Just seen this on Facebook, Here's what it says about he photo: 'College Green in the snow, featuring King Billy. The King William of Orange statue on College Green was eventually removed in 1929, following an explosion in the early hours of Armistice Day that year, but was one of the most vandalised monuments in Dublin prior to that.'

58597_10151215816991693_1052835198_n.jpg

TheJournal.ie posted this today, College Green in the 1770s. Pretty cool.

543832_10152471511330038_1044717029_n-2-630x414.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40 damo244

Hi looking for some info or even anyone got a photo they could post up of a late 1970s early 1980s Ford D series Dublin Corpo Road sweeper truck or does anyone remember the colour of the cab and body as iam trying to replecate it in a model version,i think it was yellow & gray not a 100% sure.any help please.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Wftablueboy

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Wftablueboy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

A real gem - I remember the Gardai with the white sleeves directing traffic, and the bus conductors hanging off the open section at the back.

Advertisement