Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Er,....it ain't Cork Street. It's the junction of Summerhill and Rutland Street ;)...but I agree with your sentiments.

Ah, my fault. Thought it was here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I wouldn't necessarily call this historic but the change in DCC in the last 18 years have been immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

That 2012 photo of the site where Gerry Nangle's pub was is a great testament to progress, eh? :-)

I was born in 1970 and we lived a few doors down from there. I don't remember those buildings being there, obviously. I always thought I had a vague memory of the Mountainview Court flats being built but when they were knocked down again just 30 years or so later I thought I must have imagined that since they would hardly knock down relatively new flats. Turns out I didn't imagine it. Thanks, Wishbone Ash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Big ask but would anyone have any pics of The Monument Creameries Cafe, particularly the one in Ranelagh? They were in operation from the 20s until 1966 when they went into voluntary liquidation. I lived over the cafe until 1970 but don't have a pic of the shopfront :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Big ask but would anyone have any pics of The Monument Creameries Cafe, particularly the one in Ranelagh? They were in operation from the 20s until 1966 when they went into voluntary liquidation. I lived over the cafe until 1970 but don't have a pic of the shopfront :(

Some information on the Architects Forum back in 2009 :http://www.archiseek.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7941 There's a few pics but they seem to have had several branches.

• Advertisement

Some information on the Architects Forum back in 2009 :http://www.archiseek.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7941 There's a few pics but they seem to have had several branches.

I know, I posted there! It's the Ranelagh branch I'm interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Doesn't help with your request but I see that the DCC Public Libraries Digital Archive has been updated to include "eatin' houses": http://dublincitypubliclibraries.com/image-galleries/digital-collections/get-stuffed-dublins-eatin-houses

Thanks for that, some nice memories! Still looking though!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

My parents bought that shop around that time, after the creamery closed, and opened up a clothes shop that lasted until about 1989. They converted the upstairs into bedsits. The shop is still in my family's possession.

I'd love to hear more from you about your memories of the place. Ranelagh was a very different place back then in the '70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Apologies if posted already just seen these on Facebook. Where the Church Bar is situated now on Jervis Street.

486379_10151259467478609_877740492_n.jpg

382072_10151259466308609_876728355_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 madnuts123

Thanks for uploading the postcards/vids and pix there great!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 madnuts123

I know im about 5 years late, but look at the bus stop, still the same route still the same street!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

ziggy23 wrote: »
    486379_10151259467478609_877740492_n.jpg

Have to say the park looked way better then than the yoke that's there now.

ollaetta wrote: »

Agreed. I could only imagine how many toe rags would hang around the park if it was still like that.

dubherpeoplemattbyrne19.jpg

Me thinks late 80's?? I still remember those awful tan buses when I was a kid, always got sick after riding on them :(

greenbustotal1991.jpg

Date: 1991

Faith+1 wrote: »
    dubherpeoplemattbyrne19.jpg
    I'd forgotten that you used to be able to do a U-turn behind Daniel! :)

KFC 1980's

KFC.jpg

CIMG1546-1.jpg

(Notice how much wider the footpaths are now. That traffic light control box was once on the edge of the junction. ...and SuperMacs retained the original KFC windows).

Wasn't there an elephant on a mantle above the entrance?

Wasn't there an elephant on a mantle above the entrance?
    Wasn't that Elvery Sports?

Wasn't that Elvery Sports?

Don't think so, if I can vaguely remember before Supermacs and Kentucky Fried Chicken it used to be a department store. Perhaps some of the older boardsies will remember :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Agreed. I could only imagine how many toe rags would hang around the park if it was still like that.

I think that was part of the problem. I remember working as a teenager on Abbey St, and the area had a serious issue with junkies hanging around, mainly because of the old Jervis St hospital. That park had to be closed because it was becoming a shooting gallery.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Wftablueboy

ollaetta wrote: »

Spent all my youth playing football in this park , and I'm 99% sure that myself , my sister and my father are all in this photo ..

Don't think so, if I can vaguely remember before Supermacs and Kentucky Fried Chicken it used to be a department store. Perhaps some of the older boardsies will remember :confused::confused:

Super macs used to be the old Irish press offices , those large windows used to be full of Black and white photos and the results of the spot the ball comps . I used to spend hours looking at them

Super macs used to be the old Irish press offices
    Here you go:

GS041_Cafollapreview.jpg

Here you go:

GS041_Cafollapreview.jpg

Yea , that's the way I remember it .... Thanks for d photo Wishbone

Nice pic Wishbone! God I feel old!:o

While we're in that area, where was British Home Stores? Was it where Penny's is now.

(I recall buying a jumper there in the 1980's and I had it for years. I seem to be wearing it in a awful lot of photos at the time but I suppose money was tight during the recession of the 1980's!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

While we're in that area, where was British Home Stores? Was it where Penny's is now.

(I recall buying a jumper there in the 1980's and I had it for years. I seem to be wearing it in a awful lot of photos at the time but I suppose money was tight during the recession of the 1980's!)

yep, and it was the metropole ballroom before that. in the same area dunnes on henry street was woolworths

yep, and it was the metropole ballroom before that. in the same area dunnes on henry street was woolworths

I thought Woolworths was where HMV is now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

I thought Woolworths was where HMV is now?

Correct.

Advertisement