Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Magenta wrote: »

TheJournal.ie posted this today, College Green in the 1770s. Pretty cool.

543832_10152471511330038_1044717029_n-2-630x414.jpg
    Would we be looking up Dame Street on the last photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Wftablueboy

image.jpg
    When I first seen this photo I was reminded of the back smoking area of Bojangles on Harcourt st ..... Anyone throw any light on it ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

image.jpg
    When I first seen this photo I was reminded of the back smoking area of Bojangles on Harcourt st ..... Anyone throw any light on it ??

Your photo says 'standard hotel' and there was one there at 79-82 Harcourt Street.
    Russell Court/Bojangles is 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jinksdub

Christchurch with housing behind it, one of my favourite pics of many I have of it.

http://getoutofthatgarden.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,252 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Great video

Lansdowne Road 1951 Ireland 3 England 0

240117.png
    A penalty kick from Des McKibbin was the only score of the game as Ireland beat England at a packed Lansdowne Road on 10th February 1951. This was Ireland's second game in the championship. With wins over France and Scotland and a draw in Wales Ireland would go on to be crowned Five Nations champions.
    The film shown here was shot by Norman Hodgson (1905-1974). Born in Lenzie in Scotland Norman married Marjorie Towers in 1932 and came to live in Skerries,county Dublin in the late 1930s. He was an avid amateur film-maker who recorded many sporting and social highlights of Irish life in the late 1940s and 1950s. Norman's films were deposited with the RTÉ Archives by his family and are known as the Hodgson Collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Gasia

Who can give me info about what you see here? 1965

0_86bba_79066f41_XL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Making of the film - "The Spy who came in from the Cold"?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Gasia wrote: »

Making of Darling Lili on Mountjoy Sq.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

Rashers wrote: »
    Making of Darling Lili on Mountjoy Sq.

that is interesting, anymore information, where about on mountjoy square etc

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 13 billya

Darling Lili also made in the Gaiety I remember it as a kid as I came from around that area there was a crowd around waiting to see Rock Hudson coming out

• Advertisement

that is interesting, anymore information, where about on mountjoy square etc

thanks again

Mountjoy Sq south. I lived around the corner and the arc lights caught my attention. I went around and it took ages to set up. They attached lines from calor gas cylinders and burners attached to windowsills which gave the impression of the buildings burning.

is that where the new appartments are built beside the bus depot?

is that where the new appartments are built beside the bus depot?

The part that runs between the bus garage and Middle Gardiner St.

oh right, how come they are only 1 story houses? this is very interesting

oh right, how come they are only 1 story houses? this is very interesting

Film set? They can make a lot look different. Then again maybe it was somewhere else.

nice one, thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

DublinBay.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭neris

Came across this film from the 1950s of the howth tram.

http://www.europafilmtreasures.eu/PY/261/see-the-film-once_upon_a_tram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

0_86bba_79066f41_XL.jpg

http://goo.gl/maps/N0vpi

At the right angle and lighting and a few changes to the buildings in the background I might be taking out the Cigar. What do you think.

pardon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭highdef

Not even vaguely similar!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dring

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Some rather interesting punk/skinhead type hairstyles on show there

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Possibly Limerick (no reference with the pic linked), but could be anywhere in the UK or Ireland! (Looks like a promo for the 'Drinka Pinta Day' campaign the British dairy council had back in the early 50s.)
    Either way cant seem to place those buildings in the background to anywhere in Dublin, unless they were demolished a long time ago.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

there is a wonderful facebook page called dublin down memory lane, they have recently made it public. some brilliant photos

http://www.facebook.com/groups/dublindown/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Photos of the interiors of the historic terrace at Moore Street, part of the area where a developer wishes to build a gigantic shopping mall:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.522893797753223.1073741826.232480010127938&type=1

This terrace is where the GPO garrison spent the last days before the surrender in 1916; Paarse, Plunkett, Clarke MacDiarmada and Connolly had their last moments of freedom in these houses; the garrison of 300 broke through No 10 and then broke through from house to house all through the terrace, hoping to get from Moore Street to Parnell Street and the Williams & Woods factory; however, they were trapped by a series of sniper's alleys with barricades and machine gun nests manned by the British Army. When Pearse saw a local publican family trying to leave their home under a white flag being gunned down by the British he decided on surrender to save the lives of civilians being killed by the British.

These houses are also the last Georgian working-class terrace left in Dublin city, built in the 18th century for the small shopkeepers who served the wealthy inhabitants of Mountjoy Square, Henrietta Street, etc. As you can see from the pictures, there are many original Georgian features remaining; An Taisce has been fighting a desperate rearguard action to save the terrace. For some odd reason, only four of the houses are protected as a National Monument - though this protection is at an unprecedentedly high level.

The person who can save these houses - and the historic battlefield trail from the GPO along Henry Street and Henry Place and into Moore Street - is Environment Minister Jimmy Deenihan. Let's hope he'll act soon to protect them, perhaps by a Compulsory Purchase Order bringing them into state ownership and protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Amazingly beautiful photo of crowd on O'Connell St. from the top of Nelson's Pillar, c1921.

5786212550_78a6a55f7f_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Anyone know the street?

0_844cc_e3d3b2dd_orig

Coincidentally, here's a screenshot of Leopold Bloom played by Milo O'Shea in Ulysses, he's doing some window shopping in Dorset Street in this scene, check the background.
    [IMG][/img]DSCF6219_zpsc37ff352.jpg

Advertisement